HarperCollins Publishers Employee Reviews

Well run company in difficult industry
Senior Vice President (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 25, 2018
HarperCollins is one of the remaining major book publishers. It has a rich history of 200 years. The company has great products; many books most people know.

HarperCollins is, however, in a stagnant to declining market. In order to maintain/grow earnings it must constantly reduce overhead and acquire new businesses. This creates a level of uncertainty with employees, as the industry continues to consolidate.

Harper has competitive salaries and benefits and competent management. Due to the nature of the market, however, more and more is required of fewer people. While technology helps to offset some of the increasing workload, it is hard to ever "turn off" the work day. This is likely similar to other businesses, and thus not unique to HarperCollins.
Pros
Competitive salaries and benefits
Cons
Stagnant industry leads to restructuring to maintain earnings
Slow growth, if any, but good benefits
DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 8, 2018
Great company to work for, depending on the department. Not a lot of job advancement opportunities for people that are career driven, want to reach the next level, or simply want to to follow market trends. Department managers are often stuck in the "we've always done it this way" mentality. Given the nature of the publishing industry and its current market standing, their reluctancy to try new things is understandable, however.

The hardest part of the job is often trying to work with with under trained coworkers (who often have no degree or background in what they are hired to do) that seem to be thrown to twist in the wind by their department managers with little support or direction on how to do the basic functions of their jobs.

Benefits, vacation time, and pay are wonderful. If you have a family or large financial responsibilities this is a fantastic company to work for, as they do their best to put family before everything.
Pros
Wonderful company culture, and fantastic benefits
Cons
Undertrained coworkers and department managers
pretty standard
Customer Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2018
HarperCollins is a good company and I have very few complaints. Unfortunately those complaints are big issues which is why I no longer sought to stay in my position. The communication in my department was vague and minimal, and there was no room to advance or get promoted.
Pros
work hours, benefits
Cons
poor communication, no room for advancement
Harper Collins
QUALITY CONTROL/PROCESSOR (Current Employee) –  LaPorte, INMarch 27, 2018
Harper Collins is an ok place to work for and their benefits are excellent. When I started working for Harper Collins I liked the fact that you had your own station, no bothers you at all. The only thing that I feel is that lifting them heavy bibles can do some damage to yourself.
Benefits
Cons
No opportunity
Relaxed warehouse work
Warehouse Packer/Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, PAOctober 21, 2018
Decent place to work. No stress, decent management. Contract refusal by union created job loss for latest-hire employees.

Break time enforced strictly by management, as per union regulations.
Pros
easygoing work environment
Cons
Union Contract issues
Incredible executive leadership and reinforcing the mission from the top down
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 1, 2018
The leadership work to stay in touch and visible weekly, regardless of travel schedules. They emphasize the importance of cross departmental cooperation and team work and everything comes back to the mission which creates unity among the staff as we all work towards a common goal.
Cons
They have some work to do in the area of promoting from within throughout the company.
a good start in the industry
Marketing Assistant (temp) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2018
No major complaints about this company. I learned a lot as a contractor and was able to suggest things I learned before working there. If it wasn't for this career experience I wouldn't have advanced to other roles in my work life
Wonderful place to work
Marketing Manger (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 19, 2017
Great work/life balance. Competitive salary. Great advancement opportunities up to (and including) the director level. Great co-workers. Great place to hone marketing skills. Company is invested in helping employees grow into their full potentials.
Stressful Enviroment with Good People
Helpdesk Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 23, 2018
There are quite the sum of people that are willing to go above and beyond here. However, there are the select few that have been with this company for many mergers that do not comply with current rules and policies.

Management does not value its employees, nor does HR try to give you the tools needed to move upward.
Pros
Ample Vacation time
Cons
Great place to start your career
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJune 20, 2016
The typical day at work is usually 8:30am-5:30pm. Some days are busier than others. I have learned so much from HarperCollins- it was basically a stepping stone for me right after college. A real hands on experience- with working directly with the executive of the company. Reporting to the CFO, on a daily basis. The management of the company is really good. It has a great atmosphere- with a great company culture. I like to explore other opportunities at this point- and see whats out there for me.
Pros
Free Donation Books
Cons
Healthcare Benefits
Knowledgeable people, good coworkers, too much pressure in too little time
Senior Manager, Advertising and Promotions (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2018
While there are some departments that are supportive of their employees, the overall corporate culture is to do as much as possible with as little as possible.
Very Fast Paced and Challenging
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2014
Day consists of receiving and responding to service requests for maintenance, new hires and all related employee service matters. Responding to correspondence and dispatching staff accordingly is a very delicate matter which means you are always needed and monitoring daily workflow in the department. I've learned to manage my time efficiently and deligate work accordingly. My communication skills have improved greatly as It is very important to convey issues of importance to management and understand to the requests of associates in order to respond effectively. The toughest part of the job is to respond to so many while effectively providing a swift turn around to request. The most rewarding aspect is that your day moves quickly and you are perceived as a highly needed part of staff. Its also very good to get a thank you after completing a difficult task or project.
Pros
Fast Paced, Good Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Many Managerial Changes with little opportunity for Advancment
Excellent Place to work/excellent benefits
Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, PAJanuary 21, 2015
Harper Collins Publishers was an excellent place to work. Worked there for 13 years, unfortunately I had to leave for a family emergency. I had to take care of my elderly mother who is now in a permanent nursing facility. I am presently not working and am looking for a permanent full time position that will utilize the skills that I have obtained through my years of experience. I am a hard working/dedicated person who loves a challenge and enjoys to do various types of duties in an accounting position. I love working with accounts payable and have done bank reconciliations and have done a little of accounts receivable. I am looking for a daytime position and I love to laugh. Thank You
Pros
Benefits included, paid sick time/paid holidays/401k/life insurance/health insurance/vision/dental
Cons
There really were no cons/it was a great place to work
Divesity
Cost Accountant / Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 9, 2016
When I was working for the company, the company was seriously lacking diversity. I was the only African American male working for the company at a professional position. A lot of times, I felt alone. Overall, I did enjoy working for the company. Their where some really nice people working at the company, but their were a few people that had a hard time embracing diversity.
Pros
Salary okay, Work/Life balance, had a lot of parties. Overal people were nice
Cons
Lack diversity
They have great benefits/Systems do not work well
Production Project Coordinator For Ministry Author (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 11, 2015
Leadership unwilling to give access to systems needed.
Enter orders. calling customers. entering forecasts
entering and tracking drop ship orders from the vendors.
Contacting credit and customer service on orders that invoiced incorrectly, or shipped out wrong. Helping others with problems with entering or shipping errors. Scheduling team meetings.
Great people to work with
getting the systems to work correctly or finding help to fix it.
Working together as a team to solve problems.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Systems do not function well. No Leadership
Professional environment where creativity is encouraged
Vice President Administration (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2016
The Company houses some of the finest creative and management talent in the industry. It is a pleasure to be associated with and work along side such a terrific group of executives.

My career at Harper allowed me to grow as an executive and gain exposure and knowledge that I may not have the ability to in other large companies.
Pros
Collaborative work environment, excellent benefits
good job
Canadian Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, PAFebruary 12, 2018
was getting ready to leave when they announced that they were closing my branch. I was offered to work though and I would be able to go to school and get a degree to help with my future.
Pros
vacations and breaks
Cons
It started out as a dream job.....
Sr .Net Application Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2015
But then there was a huge change in direction - which created animosity towards many individuals and the really strong people that were the foundation of the business left the company and it all pretty much went south after that. It's too bad because it used to be such a great place to work.

I would not recommend working here to anyone unless you have a bad attitude and like to be mean to people.
Pros
Benefits are very good
Cons
People are not happy with their jobs so they make others miseerable
A great job with great benefits.
Man of all trades. (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJanuary 31, 2015
HarperCollins Publications was a great place to work. I learned all aspects of the job from order picking to quality control. The other employees were knowledgeable and the supervisors were helpful in completing work assignments. The hardest part of the job was the physical part which included heavy lifting and excess bending. The most enjoyable part was learning different aspects of the jobs including working with a great group of employees.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Phyical work
Administrative Assistant to VP Credit Services (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAOctober 15, 2012
I have held 2 different positions while at HarperCollins Publishers. It is an enjoyable place to work with great benefits, and helpful co-workers.

The employer is very good to their employees.
Pros
great benefits, unlimited sick time, holidays and weekends off.
Cons
no room for growth as far as advancement.