HarperCollins Publishers Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Knowledgeable people, good coworkers, too much pressure in too little time
Senior Manager, Advertising and Promotions (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2018
While there are some departments that are supportive of their employees, the overall corporate culture is to do as much as possible with as little as possible.
a good start in the industry
Marketing Assistant (temp) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2018
No major complaints about this company. I learned a lot as a contractor and was able to suggest things I learned before working there. If it wasn't for this career experience I wouldn't have advanced to other roles in my work life
Great freelance work
Contributing Author and Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2018
I worked through a contractor that was used by Harper Collins. The project was a success and they put the time and money into giving something great the readers.
Slow growth, if any, but good benefits
DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 8, 2018
Great company to work for, depending on the department. Not a lot of job advancement opportunities for people that are career driven, want to reach the next level, or simply want to to follow market trends. Department managers are often stuck in the "we've always done it this way" mentality. Given the nature of the publishing industry and its current market standing, their reluctancy to try new things is understandable, however.

The hardest part of the job is often trying to work with with under trained coworkers (who often have no degree or background in what they are hired to do) that seem to be thrown to twist in the wind by their department managers with little support or direction on how to do the basic functions of their jobs.

Benefits, vacation time, and pay are wonderful. If you have a family or large financial responsibilities this is a fantastic company to work for, as they do their best to put family before everything.
Pros
Wonderful company culture, and fantastic benefits
Cons
Undertrained coworkers and department managers
Harper Collins
QUALITY CONTROL/PROCESSOR (Current Employee) –  LaPorte, INMarch 27, 2018
Harper Collins is an ok place to work for and their benefits are excellent. When I started working for Harper Collins I liked the fact that you had your own station, no bothers you at all. The only thing that I feel is that lifting them heavy bibles can do some damage to yourself.
Benefits
Cons
No opportunity
Well run company in difficult industry
Senior Vice President (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 25, 2018
HarperCollins is one of the remaining major book publishers. It has a rich history of 200 years. The company has great products; many books most people know.

HarperCollins is, however, in a stagnant to declining market. In order to maintain/grow earnings it must constantly reduce overhead and acquire new businesses. This creates a level of uncertainty with employees, as the industry continues to consolidate.

Harper has competitive salaries and benefits and competent management. Due to the nature of the market, however, more and more is required of fewer people. While technology helps to offset some of the increasing workload, it is hard to ever "turn off" the work day. This is likely similar to other businesses, and thus not unique to HarperCollins.
Pros
Competitive salaries and benefits
Cons
Stagnant industry leads to restructuring to maintain earnings
Stressful Enviroment with Good People
Helpdesk Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 23, 2018
There are quite the sum of people that are willing to go above and beyond here. However, there are the select few that have been with this company for many mergers that do not comply with current rules and policies.

Management does not value its employees, nor does HR try to give you the tools needed to move upward.
Pros
Ample Vacation time
good job
Canadian Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dunmore, PAFebruary 12, 2018
was getting ready to leave when they announced that they were closing my branch. I was offered to work though and I would be able to go to school and get a degree to help with my future.
Pros
vacations and breaks
Cons
People are not the priority
Manager of Facilities (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Employees are just cogs in the machine and there's no real priority to solve any issues they may have. The staff is jammed together in cubicles - another company that believes the open concept idea is a good one.
Trade book publishing is the most wholesome industry
Editorial Design Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2017
I really loved working as an intern for HarperCollins. Right away the editorial design team saw that I had skills in coding and allowed me to get more in-depth training in e-book development.
Pros
great location, supportive colleagues
Cons
publishing notorious for low pay
Wonderful Experience
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2017
I enjoyed my time here very much. Wonderful people, interesting work, and lovely work enviornment. Was able to maintain a great work/life balance during my time here.
nice place, productive
Temp Processor (Former Employee) –  LaPorte, INSeptember 25, 2017
processing books and putting them in appropriate place. i learned about working at a book return center. management is good at their jobs. culture of work place is good. hardest part of job is meeting the quota. most enjoyable part of job is the work itself.
Cool job but low pay
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2017
Very hierarchical and political
Takes a long time to get promoted
A lot of lay-offs
Exciting to work with world-renowned writers and illustrators
Long history of excellent books
Interesting work.
Corporate Chauffeur (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
Why am I required to answer these questions. The information I have and my work experience at HC are confidential. It is a large book publishing company.
Pros
Interesting
Wonderful place to work
Marketing Manger (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 19, 2017
Great work/life balance. Competitive salary. Great advancement opportunities up to (and including) the director level. Great co-workers. Great place to hone marketing skills. Company is invested in helping employees grow into their full potentials.
Stuck in time
Director of Web Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2017
Harper loves to talk about innovation, but they're stuck in time right around 1998. Their digital operation is a mess, no thanks to a bad hire at the executive level. The sad part is that there is great opportunity and promise in the publishing space, (yes, even now!) but Harper is so risk averse they can't get out of their own way to try it. Instead there is tons of money being wasted on fruitless marketing and not in redefining the business strategy.
For me it was a good expierence.
PRINCIPAL TECHNOLOGY INNOVATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2017
In retrospect I wish I had not left the company. It's a busy but friendly environment, most are a pleasure to work with. I felt I was never going to be promoted, but did not have a lot to complain about in hind sight.
Pros
Good work enviroment
Cons
None come to mind
Nice contract
Contractor/project manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2017
My Project Management skills are put to the test with regards to meeting timelines and delivering on time. As well as negotiating contracts with legal.
Pros
A lot of freedom
Dream Job
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2017
As a lover of books, this was a dream job. I got to be surrounded by books, talk about books and travel. My managers were wonderful men who took an interest in my career and offered assistance to help me grow.

The only reason I left this job was because I moved away from NYC. If I hadn't, I think I could have worked here forever.
Pros
Summer Fridays
Best people to work alongside with
VP Spanish International Sales (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 7, 2017
I loved the people I worked with. They cared about their job and for each other. Most of the leadership was excellent. Unfortunately it was difficult to make changes without the process dragging out for a long time (check with NY, check with the lawyers) - in some cases afraid that they were going to get sued by someone.
Pros
Free books
Cons
Layers of approvals