HarperCollins Publishers

HarperCollins Publishers Employee Reviews

United States116 reviews
I learned a lot about managing editorial and thoroughly enjoyed my immediate work environment. Workplace culture was nice and they were always pretty flexible with work from home days and hours. The (mostly) women I worked with were the best part of the job.
Unprofessional management
Not enough training for new staff

Don't listen until it's too late

No progression

Contradictory

Awful commission

Rubbish cars
Management has favorites, culture of toxicity where if you’re favored you get ahead. HR does not help, only on the side of the company. Abusive management.
Pros
Books
Cons
Pay far below standards
The workplace culture can be a stark and drastic contrast to other companies based in the creative or media industries. The perception is that upward mobility is based in quid pro quo tactics.
Pros
good health care
The work is steady and people are professional. You need to like reading and learning a lot to enjoy this job. My supervisor is supportive and gives me a lot of space to learn and do my job well.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the mission and the people! The drive to succeed was contagious and the benefits were amazing! I'd work there again if the opportunity were available.
Excellent work environment good training nice facility great people beautiful view alot of experience gained..........................................
I really never even thought about leaving. I started in 1994 and was laid off in 1997. I loved Harper. I loved the people and the projects. I worked 24 7 because I wanted to, not because I had to. It was the best years of my life. Then new upper management came in and washed me out. I still miss the place. I still treasure the projects I accomplished.
Excellent supportive work environment providing promotion from within opportunities and training, including management opportunities. Flexible work environment. Learned to work both independently and as part of a team. Learned customer service ownership and support.
I was so excited for an opportunity with this company and particular imprint but regardless of the “freedom” that’s allowed it still felt unstructured and somewhat caged in. People are friendly-ish but some higher-ups made sure to never introduce themselves and even contributed to a lower level colleague’s immense discomfort in the office. Lots of passive aggressiveness and strange shady vibes across departments. They make it seem like you have a chance to move up but Human Resources won’t even let you know if you’re being passed on as an internal candidate. There is no room for anyone, there aren’t openings for new entry level employees yet there’s a need and some assistants are supporting far more execs than they should be. Hoping that my experience was a fluke but have heard similar stories from others in my position. It was a decent experience but an unbalanced workplace for sure.
I was a freelancer there and copyedited a book from home, but my experience was good! The people were nice and I was paid my rate. It was a long time ago, but I remember it as being very pleasant.
HarperCollins Christian Publishing provided for an incredible internship experience that resulted in me gaining marketing skills, communication skills, and an understanding of the publishing industry.
HarperCollins Christian Publishing offered exciting opportunities for growth and advancement. Management encouraged creative thinking and supported new ideas focused on trends. Co-workers are caring and supportive. Flexible work options like work-at-home days during the week and telecommuting for staff with unique situations allow for a diverse and healthy staff. A generous benefit program that also included a discount program for a wide variety of services and for company product were great supplements to salary. Salary rate was a bit low when compared to the market average, but bonus incentives and annual cost of living raises helped. A collaborative environment makes this company a joy to work for.
Pros
Great benefits, schedule flexibility, forward-thinking management, supportive co-workers
Cons
low salary
There are plenty of HarperCollins employees who enjoy their time at HC and have supportive supervisors who are invested in helping employees learn, become better at their jobs, and advance within the company.

I unfortunately did not have that experience, but I did love the books I helped publish and enjoyed the work.
My time at Harpercollins was just like any other Job that I had. I came in did my work and went home. There was really nothing exceptional to write about either way.
They didn't pay people enough to live on and alot of things was outdated and some of the rules have changed it wasn't bad but treat people with respect
Very boring job decent pay as long as you can keep busy you’ll do fine it’s a very quite place management is good would recommend for the more slow paced worker or older workers
Have good benefit and work/life balance. Can be a little slow to adapt to new technology like a lot of big company. People you work with are generally nice.
Although, I did not give this company a 5 or a 4 star rating, it is still was a much better place to work then some others, I have worked in. I worked there 14 years and only left because they laid me off, due to, they say, automation. I do believe, had they offered me another position, I would have stayed.
Pros
People were friendly, office was clean
Cons
Extreme nepotism, no day care, no family leave for adopting parents, extreme office politics.
The days were fast, when the call volumes were high. Worked well with other CSRs. Learned of various Romance styles and genres. Also was able to learn about warehouse support
Cons
Decline in paperback Romance readers
I really enjoyed working at HarperCollins Publishing with such intelligent and creative people. There was always something new and challenging every day which I really enjoyed.
Pros
Great office environment, great people, good benefits
Cons
Commute on NYC sbways
Ask a question about working or interviewing at HarperCollins Publishers. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight