Harris County Juvenile Probation Department

Harris County Juvenile Probation Department Employee Reviews

Harris County Juvenile Probation Department insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Overall satisfaction

Supportive Team and Supervisor

As a counseling intern, I felt well-supported by both my supervisor and the other therapists. I was able to gain a lot of good and needed learning/training opportunities and had room to grow at my own pace. However, the job can be sometimes all-consuming and exhausting--which I guess can be expected in most counseling jobs anyway. I worked extremely hard and felt fulfilled from it, but I also had a couple of significant instances of burn-out.

Pros

Downtown, free parking, friendly co-workers, flexible daily schedule

Cons

Downtown, occasionally rough inter-departmental communication, attempting to provide therapy in a non-therapeutic environment

Most horrible place to work

An extremely toxic place to work. management is HORRIBLE. if you love your headspace pls stay away from this horrific place. the management encourages the terrible work culture.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Horrible management and work culture

Get Out

This is absolutely not a place to make a career, if you a hard worker get ready for it to go unnoticed, management does have favorites and it is very hard to promote up, regardless of what type of education you have or work ethic. The kids are almost running the place, and there are rookies training rookies.

Pros

Benefits/ help youth

Cons

All the above

Stay away!

A typical day at JJC consist of pure inconsistencies, nobody is on the same page, attempting to move up or to another division is almost impossible. Unless you are someone's favorite or fraternizing with somebody. When it comes to management maybe one or two supervisors show integrity the rest have favorites that allow them to get away with anything, he worst part is they do not attempt to hide their favoritism. Working there makes you feel like you're a prisoner and having cameras throughout the facility they're not there to watch the “resident” like they should, they're there to watch you. There is absolutely nothing enjoyable about that place. If you do something wrong, they let you continue to mess up so they can take action, i.e disciplinary action and up to suspension, as apposed to catching you the first time so you can rectify and learn from your mistakes. They constantly rewrite policy as they see fit for their advantage I.e making Super Bowl or a championship fight night a day you can't miss or need a doctors note to come back to work I mean who does that!!! These administrator don't give two Scheisse about you and your work/life balance, or even support you in trying to move up or a lateral move to another part of the department. If you do try to do a lateral move, some people there was sandbag you when trying to get into another position because they see you as a threat to them

Pros

Absolutely nothing

Up and downs

There’s good things about the job but there’s also bad just like every other job. It’s up to you to make it easy or difficult. The kids will be kids.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Juvenile Success Focused

As a team, we are constantly looking for innovative ways to help youth be successful when they are returning to their communities. It takes a lot of heart to work here. Some days are harder than others, but, at the end of the day we are in the business of helping change lives.

Pros

Having kids come back after they have been out, to tell us with pride how they are doing.

Cons

Sometimes the lack of communication and last minute major decisions.

Harris County

They gave me the best intern experience I could ever ask for. I learned so much from them regarding my career field and knew exactly what I wanted to do after graduation.

It was an experience, but I enjoyed it.

The inmates made it a weird experience but with my co workers and management experience, I loved the job. I would recommend this job if you are okay with the slamming doors and inmates.

Good experience

Great opportunity for new students from college to get experience working with youth and families. Allow you to receive the right training needed to work with at risk youth as well as provide service to them.

Rewarding and stressful

It was a great place to work when we were boot camp from 1999-2009. But after the switch to Leadership, the culture and atmosphere slowly deteriorated. I'm very happy to have worked there long enough to be able to retire. The staff is undervalued and underappreciated.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Toxic work environment, high staff turnover

Very informative.

Harris County Juvenile Probation Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer with great benefits and helpful work environment. The experience I have had with this department was very eventful as I have learned a lot about this field as well as myself.

Pros

great experience

Cons

essential staff

Challenging, lateral and vertical prmotions

Dealing with juveniles in need of guidance and structure is always a challenge. However; seeing someone years later with their wife and family and having them thank you for something you said, or did is priceless.

Pros

Challenging with a chance for lateral and vertical prmotions.

Cons

Can be stressful.

The students was not the issue, the poor leadership saturated the company.

It may have fallen under new management. It was surely a toxic place to work. It really needed to create an environment that is more conducive for helping kids.

I Enjoyed working with the girl Probationers. I was Able To Make A Difference In Their Life and Teach them How To Deal and Cope with Life .

It made me feel good as A Detention Officer To Be Able To Reach and Help Someone Child... That was going down the wrong path of life. To see the kids come inn being so broken and angry at the world and parents. It just made you want to help them because they were missing so much. They also felt as if no one cared about them and what they are going through in Life...

Productive and team work environment.

Exciting place to work, Great team work, Good administrative set-up, The benefits are super, and also an opportunity place for advancement, permanent schedule to make plans for other things.

N/a

I enjoyed my internship at the Harris County Juvenile Probation Department. The site supervisor and therapists were very helpful, hands on, and it was a wonderful work environment.

Retired after 25 years

Good place ce to work with many opportunities. Work with juvenile at risk and many departments. Started as a juvenile supervision officer and then received a Juvenile Probation Officer withe Cups 4. Then interview and offered a position as a shift supervisor with Harris County Youth Village.

A place use as a stepping tool

Working as a juvenile supervision officer shouldn't be viewed as a job you do long term. it should be used to build your experience and move up in the department. The job can be very demanding.

It is a great place to work if you are great at dealing with adolescents. If so, I’m this role you have direct contact with juvenile from all over the city. And while they are dealing with their case, it is a great opportunity for you to try and make a change in their life.

Can be like a high school

The job itself is not hard but management and constant policy changes makes it harder than needed. You get with the right crew it can be awesome and fun, get the wrong kind and it's a long day.

Pros

Healthcare, paid breaks

Cons

short breaks, 401a

Stressful

A typical work day at work can be stressful at times but rewarding. This job doesn't offer a lunch break and maybe not even a 15 minute break . It can be rewarding when you are able to help the residents of their issues they might be having. Co-worker causes the most stress ,they are to involved in other co-workers daily lives . Most supervisors are not good at resolving conflicts, but rather fuel it on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris County Juvenile Probation Department. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Harris County Juvenile Probation Department Reviews by Location