Harris County Employee Reviews

Ok job
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2018
Job was amazing. Management had a lot of favoritism but at the end of the day you go to work. I recommend anyone to work here very flexible. Nice people.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Too much favoritism
Great people to work for and fun environent with a purpose.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2018
I loved working for this company. I enjoyed fully paid benefits and it came in handy. I recommend this employer to anyone looking for a job to retire with because it has a great retirement program. Excellent workplace.
Fun
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2018
I worked with adults teaching them in the ESL classroom. It was very interesting because some of the students couldn't speak any English at the time.
Productive and inspiring place to work for.
e-Builder System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Engineering DepartmentOctober 23, 2018
Working in the Engineering Department has given me exposure to clients and leaders of the County. It is a great place to work with great benefits. I am ready to move on due to financial limitations in my current position,and the ability to move up.
Pros
No micromanaging.
Cons
Parking is too expensive downtown.
Absolutely awful
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 21, 2018
The leadership treat people like garbage, no one listens to what you have to say, the inmates have more rights and protection than the officers, you have to write letters up the chain of command for vacation time which is usually denied, the county won't pay for treatment of disease if you get bit or stabbed, forced unpredictable 16 hour shifts 4-5 times per week, not able to have a social life, Co workers are lazy and don't even provide restroom breaks. No one cares if you are sick, have family issues, etc... You better be there. You'll get written up even with a doctors note. Have fun lol
Great trainings
Family services provider (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 16, 2018
Management was great in providing help and training. Employees were not left alone until well trained. Assured that employees were comfortable going solo on job duties and know that if needed, just make a call.
Supervisors were equally helpful in teaching and providing training. Great working conditions.0
Pros
Flexible time off
Cons
Stressful and several deadlines in a short period
A productive place of employment
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2018
Lead Teacher in preschool classroom weekly lesson plans, 2 annual home visits, planned field trips, improvised arts & crafts and set educational goals.
Pros
Watching the students grow and develop in their educational milestone
Cons
Salary too low with no current raises.
A great place to work with dedicated people
Volunteer Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2018
This is an altruistic environment which can be difficult to find. Managers did not have enough real world experience for their project. That said, their positive attitudes kept them going. THAT was impressive.
Pros
collegial atmosphere
Cons
low pay
Deputy (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2018
I worked in several departments and enjoyed working in each one. The co-workers were great to work with. I was encouraged to advance whenever possible and did move into the departments I worked to get
Pros
Pay and co-workers
Cons
Some supervisors
Afis dpt
Fingerprint Examiner,IT Tech,shift sup. (Former Employee) –  1301 FranklinSeptember 27, 2018
Best place I ever worked. Wish I never left, would do anything to work back in AFIS division. I left because my child was diagnosed with Autism and needed my full attention.
Pros
Great work envo
Cons
Great environment.
It’s just a job
Enforcement Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2018
This job was downright stressful and outrageous. The county is great for free vision benefits and retirement but that’s about it. You start out temporary and then become permanent if you do well enough and pass enough tests. Attendance is a major key working for Harris county. If you don’t plan on showing up, don’t waste your time.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
You never get a straight answer for anything, Too much of a hierarchy and nobody likes to be questioned.
dangerous
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Inmates running the jail. Lot of mandatory overtime, staying over for 16 hours. Next shift relief always dragging in late. Not much back up from sworn in employees. Started promoting DO's to supervisor status, inmates had no respect for them. The took too many deputies out of the jail. Great place to work for anyone that wants to provide care, custody and control to a bunch of inmates.
Pros
decent pay for someone that can't do much else.d
Cons
lot of mandatory overtime, Filthy place. Lot of lazy employees.
Excellent place to work
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2018
Harris County Sherrifs Office is always looking for hard working and good of moral people. They have very good benefits and a good retirement. I hightly recommend.
I just believe I was in the wrong department for advancement
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2018
I believe my talents wasn't being used to my or the county benefit. I was unable to advance in the work place. The people that I worked aside were pretty pleasant for the most part. It's wasn't a stressful environment.
Stable and lots of opportunity for growth
Communication Officer/911 Trainer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
I love my job and recommend it to any one that wants to apply. There is job secuirty and great incentives. Hours are not that flexible, but there is great benefits.
Pros
benefits, paid lunch and breaks, opportunity for growth
Cons
schedules are not flexible, mandatory check ins
Appreciative
Family court (Current Employee) –  downtownSeptember 6, 2018
The chief Deputy Is very passionate with his employees and is always willing to go beyond for his staff he also provides excellent training to each department
Harris County Profile
Dentention Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2018
Harris County is not for everybody. You have to be a strong person to work for Harris County. The company has very good benefits, a good career starter, and a great retirement plan.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
The People
Great people great leaders
Project Manager (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2018
HCPH is ran by great leadership. They are forward thinking and progressive. Every day is a wonderful day here and every aspect is enjoyable. The culture is progressive and family friendly. They offer flexible schedules (within reason), some work from home opportunities, and a great work/life balance. For full time employees the benefits and retirement are second to none.
Pros
work life balance, flexible schedules, high tech forward culture.
Cons
being government salaries tend to be lower side of market
A job that demands total concentration and obedience
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Harris County facilities and Property ManagementAugust 17, 2018
I have several friends and colleagues that work for the Sheriff dept and they like the total of hour's in the work place, plus they also have opportunities to help out when dutie call for more assistance.
Pros
Consistent Duty
Cons
Overtime work
Enjoyed my time with Harris County and would return if needed.
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  2223 West Loop South, Houston, TXAugust 14, 2018
I enjoyed working with Harris County and the people. The job was stimulating and very busy and worked with a diverse group of people. During my last year I was assigned to a new supervisor that didn't want to do things the county way and it made my processing of my duties rather difficult.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris County. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss