Harris County
70Average

Harris County Employee Reviews

United States534 reviews
Deputy investigator
I am currently employed with Harris County Sheriff’s Office as a deputy investigator in the criminal warrant division my job is to look for people who have Warrants serve them and take them to jail
Great
Treated me very well considering it was my first time working. would definitely work there again if I had an opportunity to again. Learned a lot from working there.
Place to commit adultry
They are not watching the inmates, and are all sleeping with each other. Horrible place for anyone who is married to work overnight, no time for family.
Lots of work low pay but w/401K
Great place to work, lots of work, responsibility, There is more work than time to do all the work that is required by the State, Cty and requirements/conditions requested by the Judges. The pay is low for what is requested of the work and timé involved Time management is definitely involved on this job
Quite intense , but rewarding being a Detention Officer.
I worked here for 18 months , it is an interesting job. I treated the inmates like the humans they are , some however were the most hardheaded people I had ever met. There is alot of politics in the job , with certain coworkers that will back you up in a fight/argument and others that will turn and walk away ; leaving you alone with a upset inmate/s. Chose your battles carefully , you can get hurt , and the OC spray won't do a thing to some inmates that love pain. However , the atmosphere is unique , the benefits are worth getting your butt kicked and so is the pay.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
clean environment
I enjoyed working here. I came in through a temp agency and I must say I had an opportunity to get hired but I moved to Florida after I got married. Not a bad job at all
Example: Student achievement is the goal
There are some staff that are truly dedicated to helping their students. Student achievements are rewarding to see. Seeing the parents and students sense of appreciation for the time invested in their child.
Pros
Seeing the students achieve their goals
Cons
Poor staff moral
It's what you make it, however there are really nice management leaders. Some departments have access to plenty of overtime, if your wiling to work.
I highly recommend this job to people who have families, are just graduating college, looking for a place to retire, or looking for a career change!!!
Well organized
Great career. Brings financial stability. In my department they work with you with the overtime if you can’t stay. They treat you like a person and not a robot.
Great working experience
Great company loved helping the children and families. I loved teaching the children things that they didn't know. I did lesson plans and home visits so children would become comfortable with me .
I no longer work here due to illnesses and i chose to leave because i felt i wasn't able to do the best job.
Loved my job and I enjoyed helping people. I learned a lot being around my boss and sitting in on cases with the Judge. Even though some times our customers acted out I could usually have them smiling when they left. I think the customer is always right.
Excellence
Strong leadership team with supportive colleagues working towards the high bar of professionalism and standards set and required by all Leadership and County Officials.
Review Summary
Small crews run the park. You work 1 night a week and 4 days per week. Once every 4 weeks you will be responsible for the entire park by yourself. Long hours on weekends.
Slave labor, DONT DO IT!!!
The pay abysmal. They pay you peanut but work you like a COO. I’m miserable and I want out!!!
I got the stink eye when I dared add their sugar to my home- made a coffee.

They treat clients better than the employees.

I’m sick and I still have to go to work because the program manager keeps calling my cellphone into shaming me to stay w/o caring about my health.

They also make you p
Still Learning
It has been a great experience, always learn something but I have to push for it. Thanks for the opportunity and the experience. Now I can compare the values between government and private sector.
Also I know the good company to work for have fun on the job they have three shifts good people to be around family oriented people have three shifts morning noon and night
Great job, if you're willing to sacrifice some personal time away from work.
Good pay, great benefits, and opportunity to move up, but you have to show you're worth it more than others. Get ready to work 16 hour shifts each time you go in.
Productive and fun workplace
I am currently a Head Start teacher for Harris County Department of Education. I enjoy working for Harris County but the reason I am looking for other jobs is I just wanted a career change.
Pros
we get to eat with children during their lunch time
Cons
short break
Low pay good benefits
Unless someone quits or retires, there are rare opportunities for advancement. There is not much diversity. The scope of the job always changes without warning.
It is a great company.
It is a great place to work. The people are friendly and supportive and there is room for growth. They also do a lot of work in the community to help the youth.
A necessary evil
This job will break you. Not for slackers or people who haven't seen the worst in humanity. You will deal the worst the city has to offer. Drug addicts, murders, gangsters, people with no hope or future reside here. They might take it out on you. But you say you can tough it out, and maybe you can. If you have better options take it.