Harris County Employee Reviews

Fun environment but stressful
Guardianship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2018
Co workers where awesome but the management sucks there is a lot of micro management going on and most of the time your stuck doing your supervisor job. But this was in the guardianship department.
Pros
Free healthcare
Cons
Micro management stressful and emotional position
Good place to work at
clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 30, 2018
Great place to work at. Location is downtown okay. Great area and free parking. Can also get over time if you want. Co-workers are great. Supervisor are very understanding
Pros
free parking, credit union, Union, health care, 401 k plan
Cons
Takes a long time to retire
Work was great, making customer happy
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 30, 2018
Paying rent and utilities for customesr. Monthly balance. Confirm total with management before check release. Any checks errors corrected same day. Twice a month.
Pros
Flexible lunch and work schedule
Cons
Management need mor training
good place to work.
Intake Office Administration CPS (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2018
Checking in clients police officer always with a smile, file papers, light typing, answer phones, set meeting, kid and mother or dads, general office work and love it.
Pros
Cons
no breaks, no benefits
Workplace ok
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston tXMay 20, 2018
The job and work location is wonderful. The management at my location is awesome is great. The company needs more opportunities for an employee to grow and pay upgrades.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Pay not good
Supportive and productive environment
Multi-level ESL and GED instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2018
Harris County Dept of Ed was the most exciting teaching job I've ever had. The training classes and continuing ed classed for staff and teachers were very beneficial.
Maintenance Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 14, 2018
Very great work opportunity
I would advise anyone seeking employment with the county to consider this one. I had a very pleasant opportunity while being employed for them.
great work place
Lead clerk / Window Teller Greet customer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2018
this is a great company has a lot of benefits , the environment is pretty laid back most of the time . usually the beginning of the month and the end of the month are the busiest time .
exciting place to work
Floor Control Center Operator/Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2018
exciting place to work. The job has a thrill and is helping the community. But there is a lot of forced overtime and a lot of time away from family....
Good place to work but with high stress and poor life balance.
Field Training Officer-Detentions (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77002May 8, 2018
Reports to and receives assignments, instructions, and direction from Sergeants, Lieutenants, and Captains. Trains and approves all incoming Detention Officers within the Harris County Jail Facility for employment. Reads pass-on logs and receives activity briefings from off-going shift personnel. Supervises and monitors jail inmates, and detects and deters improper or unacceptable behavior. Controls and directs inmates while out of cell areas during transfers, work assignments, meals, recreation, etc. Directs inmates into Inmate Processing Center and performs searches of individuals and jail cells to locate weapons or contraband. Prepares logs, records, and reports of jail activities, Performs other duties and activities as directed.
Pros
Working and approving Harris County Sheriff's Office Probation Detention Officers.
Cons
Inmates

Want to know more about Harris County?

Ask a question
To obtain a working environment
Civil Intake Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2018
My typical day of work could be fast but sometimes I have to help other employees. Scanning documents for employee like Temporary Restraining Orders and Bonds
Pros
Enjoying the work
Cons
no breaks
Great for a teacher coming out of college to go and get some experience .
Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 2, 2018
The position that I am in now requires you to manage and provide safety to 20 staff members and adhere to the daily operational duties. I also provide resources to parents.
Typical day
DETENTION OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 26, 2018
You arrive and you are given which cellblock you are going to work for the day. Once you have your assignment, you sit in the cellblock with the inmates until your shift is up. Once your shift is up,you have to go and check in to see if staffing is short and if you have to stay for over time which is highly likely.
Co-workers were great
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2018
Management did not like the fact that people were getting along within some centers and decided to move people in the centers to other locations whether we wanted to or not. You were not given an option to move or to where, they said you would be given a choice but your choice was never approved.
Pros
Choose your schedule during the week, four day work week during the summer
Cons
Moved to different centers
Good job but too much drama
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2018
If you want drama then welcome back to high school. Great benefits, pay is good but dealing with stupidity is second to none. normal hours are 7-4 unless there is a hurricane then you have no life, was working 15-16 hours a day- 6 days a week with no care about your personal life.
benefits
Cons
management
Loved co workers
PCT/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  LbjApril 19, 2018
No races !! And when they give a race it was no more than 20 or 25 cents a year the cost living now is pretty high no one can live off this salary . That’s the reason why I left but other than the salary it’s a friendly environment the doctors and residents and fellows are really nice love that part !
Pros
Friendly environment and loved patients there
Cons
Very low hr pay rate no races more then 20-25 cents
fast paced
Window Teller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2018
very fast paced place to work and very busy but steady work and friendly employees with great help from employees and management good lunch hours and work hours
Pros
good hours
Cons
n/a
Relaxed internship with excellent pay, perfect summer job
Intern (Former Employee) –  Harris County, TXApril 10, 2018
My experience as an intern at Harris County was much different than that of the other interns. My schedule was different, and because I needed to leave the internship before the projected end date, one other intern and I were given a unique opportunity. My job duties as an intern included planning and creating training videos for full time Harris County employees. The one I was most proud of was created using an iPad app, and I collaborated with one of my fellow Interns for the project. The hardest part was learning the app, which didn't take very long at all. I highly enjoyed the opportunity to learn how to operate in an office, a workspace I had never encountered before.
Pros
Opportunity to make connections with other interns and employees, long lunch break
Cons
It was an internship, so my departure was inevitable
I loved it.
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2018
Working at the jail was an eye-opening experience, for sure. It is much more fast-paced than you might realize, and it definitely isn't what you would expect, but the bond between coworkers makes it all worth it.
Ancient Processes and Culture
Accounting & Reporting Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2018
Harris County Department of Education (HCDE) is a very slow paced work environment. Most of the people are great people, but the processes are ancient. HCDE prints paper for everything and are behind the times in technology.
Pros
Easy place to work
Cons
No career development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris County. Our community is ready to answer.