Harris County Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A great place to work with dedicated people
Volunteer Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2018
This is an altruistic environment which can be difficult to find. Managers did not have enough real world experience for their project. That said, their positive attitudes kept them going. THAT was impressive.
Pros
collegial atmosphere
Cons
low pay
Deputy (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2018
I worked in several departments and enjoyed working in each one. The co-workers were great to work with. I was encouraged to advance whenever possible and did move into the departments I worked to get
Pros
Pay and co-workers
Cons
Some supervisors
Afis dpt
Fingerprint Examiner,IT Tech,shift sup. (Former Employee) –  1301 FranklinSeptember 27, 2018
Best place I ever worked. Wish I never left, would do anything to work back in AFIS division. I left because my child was diagnosed with Autism and needed my full attention.
Pros
Great work envo
Cons
Great environment.
It’s just a job
Enforcement Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2018
This job was downright stressful and outrageous. The county is great for free vision benefits and retirement but that’s about it. You start out temporary and then become permanent if you do well enough and pass enough tests. Attendance is a major key working for Harris county. If you don’t plan on showing up, don’t waste your time.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
You never get a straight answer for anything, Too much of a hierarchy and nobody likes to be questioned.
dangerous
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Inmates running the jail. Lot of mandatory overtime, staying over for 16 hours. Next shift relief always dragging in late. Not much back up from sworn in employees. Started promoting DO's to supervisor status, inmates had no respect for them. The took too many deputies out of the jail. Great place to work for anyone that wants to provide care, custody and control to a bunch of inmates.
Pros
decent pay for someone that can't do much else.d
Cons
lot of mandatory overtime, Filthy place. Lot of lazy employees.
Excellent place to work
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 23, 2018
Harris County Sherrifs Office is always looking for hard working and good of moral people. They have very good benefits and a good retirement. I hightly recommend.
I just believe I was in the wrong department for advancement
Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2018
I believe my talents wasn't being used to my or the county benefit. I was unable to advance in the work place. The people that I worked aside were pretty pleasant for the most part. It's wasn't a stressful environment.
Stable and lots of opportunity for growth
Communication Officer/911 Trainer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
I love my job and recommend it to any one that wants to apply. There is job secuirty and great incentives. Hours are not that flexible, but there is great benefits.
Pros
benefits, paid lunch and breaks, opportunity for growth
Cons
schedules are not flexible, mandatory check ins
Appreciative
Family court (Current Employee) –  downtownSeptember 6, 2018
The chief Deputy Is very passionate with his employees and is always willing to go beyond for his staff he also provides excellent training to each department
Harris County Profile
Dentention Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2018
Harris County is not for everybody. You have to be a strong person to work for Harris County. The company has very good benefits, a good career starter, and a great retirement plan.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
The People
Great people great leaders
Project Manager (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2018
HCPH is ran by great leadership. They are forward thinking and progressive. Every day is a wonderful day here and every aspect is enjoyable. The culture is progressive and family friendly. They offer flexible schedules (within reason), some work from home opportunities, and a great work/life balance. For full time employees the benefits and retirement are second to none.
Pros
work life balance, flexible schedules, high tech forward culture.
Cons
being government salaries tend to be lower side of market
A job that demands total concentration and obedience
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Harris County facilities and Property ManagementAugust 17, 2018
I have several friends and colleagues that work for the Sheriff dept and they like the total of hour's in the work place, plus they also have opportunities to help out when dutie call for more assistance.
Pros
Consistent Duty
Cons
Overtime work
Enjoyed my time with Harris County and would return if needed.
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  2223 West Loop South, Houston, TXAugust 14, 2018
I enjoyed working with Harris County and the people. The job was stimulating and very busy and worked with a diverse group of people. During my last year I was assigned to a new supervisor that didn't want to do things the county way and it made my processing of my duties rather difficult.
poor Management
Light Rail Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2018
body system leads to carelessness of workers and low productivity to loyal employees, and unsafe work environment, hats why they have been killing people ever since it started operation. educate your employees, treat them with respect and dignity.
Pros
pay rate
Cons
poor management
ok
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2018
ok place to work great benefits you have to deal with the public and they will treat you bad but you still must help them because you are the police and that job
Hours are hard when you have children 2-10pm
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2018
The training is very hard at the beginning very structure but good in a way. Then you have your graduation and family can come see you that day. Then you get assign to the jail for training. You trained two different shifts 6-2pm then 2-10 pm then after your training is over you get your schedule which could be any of the two I mentioned or 10-6am
Pros
No lunch break eat inside pot where you are schedule to work that day
Cons
Short breaks and have to eat infront of inmates
unproductive
Family Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2018
I would not recommend this as somewhere to work. The center level management is great, but upper management is horrible. They want the teachers to hold bachelors and masters degrees and pay them less than $30000. Makes no sense.
Review
Law Enforcement (Former Employee) –  Harris County, TXJuly 30, 2018
Typical work week is 40 to 48 hours. The most enjoyable part of working there are the people you work with are great people. You see a lot and learn a lot each day you work. Computer skill and people skills are a must.
Pros
Information you learn
Great Work Envoroment
County Clerk Office (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 17, 2018
Harris County Clerk's Office was a great work place, for me it provided many opportunities for growth and advancement within the division. Very stable work environment and job security.
Knowledge
Assistant Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77022July 15, 2018
Available current knowledge of Office of Head Start standards and procedures. Training given in various classroom related fields on a regular basis for all staff..
Pros
Working with families and children
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris County. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss