Harris Health System Employee Reviews

Highly productive
Security Officer (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 20, 2018
Typical day at Harris Health System is always a surprise, always something new. Never a dull day.
I've learned many things here at Harris Health System such as aggression management how to perform CPR and other techniques to keep my working environment, patients, staff, and coworkers safe.
The workplace culture in Harris Health System is very diverse. Having proper training, there is not a hard part of the job. The part I enjoy most about my job is that every day is different.
Pros
Great benefits
Very traditional company with a sting focus of it’s mission
Project Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  HoustonOctober 31, 2018
I give the review 4 stars as it does have nice benefits, they do offer flexible work schedules, family first policy, and and executive team is very supportive. However, innovation is far behind and the traditional work ethics can make it difficult to get anything passed. Also, promotions are far and few between.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, safe working environment
Cons
Very outdated processes.
My employment with harris health
Ben Taub - Food Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2018
As an employee for Harris Health, a typical work day consisted of preparing for an entire shift by displaying cleanliness, organizing and planning for each individual patient. I learned to work as a team player, how to multi-task in a fast paced environment and deliver high quality service upon command. I worked well with management and produced the required work given in a timely manner. I worked in a diverse culture that allowed many opportunities. Upon learning what was required of me, I adjusted and performed my job duties with confidence. I enjoyed being a part of a team, making patients smile and delivering outstanding service upon request, while going above and beyond to preform my job duties.
Too stressful with little to no support from supervisor/manager
Patient Access Management Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2019
The job demands were way too high compared to the training given to new employees. Not enough support from Supervisors or Managers; if you are not on their favorites list you are pressured and pushed to your limits without any support on training or preparing you for the tasks at hand. They basically chase you out.
Pros
insurance/benefits
Cons
Poor management with personalized and micromanagement environment.
February 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We strive every day to be the premier Public Health System in the nation by attracting and retaining the best talent in the industry and your feedback is key in helping us achieve this goal. If you would like to share more about your experience please contact us at talentacquisition@harrishealth.org so that we can set up some time to talk. Thank you again for your feedback as it helps us make Harris Health a better place. We wish you the best with your future endeavors.

Terrible place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Osceola, ARNovember 30, 2018
This place is the most unprofessional place that I have ever worked. The administrator thinks everything is a joke, the employees are rude to the residents and to fellow employees. Anyone can get a job here with no drug tests or background checks so that is exactly what type employees are here. This place is not fit for the residents that have to live here. They need new management to ever make this a fit place for residents and professional employees
Pros
Wage is competitive
Cons
Everything else!
Good place to work with diverse population.
Nurse Clinician II, PM&R (Rehabilitation unit) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2018
A typical day is moderately busy. I learned all my nursing skills there. The management was fair and helpful. The culture was diverse and patient's were largely easy to work with. The hardest part of teh job was somewhat a lack of cohesion with other staff members. The enjoyable part was holidays and flexible scheduling.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, inexpensive parking fees.
Cons
Sometimes understaffed.
Love The Environment/Co-Workers
Eligibility Counselor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2018
I enjoy the work that I do and personally I would love to continue to work at HHS, however, the lack of pay, and all your vacation, sick, FMLA and federal holidays are deleted directly from your PTO is sour pill to sallow. No continuing education programs from non clinical personnel, well at least its not advertised by management. HR never response to internal job apps.
Pros
Co Workers and the joy of helping the patients
Cons
Low pay and all benefits.. esp PTO
October 24, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We strive every day to be the premier Public Health System in the nation by attracting and retaining the best talent in the industry and your feedback is key in helping us achieve this goal. If you would like to share more about your experiences please contact us at talentacquisition@harrishealth.org so that we can set up some time to talk. Thank you again for your feedback as it helps us make Harris Health a better place. We wish you the best with your future endeavors.

Productive and fun workplace
Physician Services Liaison (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2018
Working at Harris Health proved to be quite productive. The work environment fostered excellent work/life balance, fair compensation/ benefits, and pretty decent job security.
stable position
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  hosutonJanuary 15, 2019
If you like a position that don't need advancement, this is it. Sit all day long at computer and registering patients. non-stop work, fast pace environment.
benefits
Cons
breaks only if volume allows
Typical County Employment
Linen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 17, 2018
A lot of nepotism, managers at one location could easily get a relative hired at another location. For the most part, the referrals were qualified but too many referrals can hinder diversity. As an African American, I believe that the county should recruit more Anglo's for a broader perspective and outlook but the pay was sufficient to attract well qualified candidates of any background, race, or ethnicity..

It wasn't a bad job but my boss was challenging and fit the profile of a stereo-typical county employee.
Pros
Working with professional Doctors and Nurses
Cons
Thou I am a veteran and did not use the health benefits, the bi-weekly payment was too expensive for hourly workers.

Great Employer.
Peri-Operative Materials Coordinator (Team Lead) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2018
Great Employer. Outstanding benefits. Paid Holidays come from your personal PTO bank. Overall a great company to work for. Promotion can be a challenge.
Very miserable place to work
CMA (Former Employee) –  Squatty Lyons Health CenterDecember 13, 2018
The management here is horrible. They do not know how to treat there employee's at Squatty Lyons Health Center. There are multiple problems and if anyone approaches management about it, they start getting written up continuously for things that are hidden in one of there 5,000 work policies. Honestly there are so many you can't keep up. Also the management plays favorites and if your not one of them you better watch out. This is the worst place I have ever worked. I had to quit as I was tired of watching these things.
Pros
Day goes fast
Cons
Working here has it's ups and downs
Inpatient Coder (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2018
Excellent benefits not so good pay though. Flexible work hours. I was able to work remotely from home which was a big plus. My manager was very nice and understanding although my director over my manager was not. My director liked to use scare tactics to increase productivity and accuracy. So it made for a stressful work environment at times. I was provided with lots of continuing education unit opportunities and my department always encouraged further education. My training was very good very thorough and not rushed.
Pros
Great benifits and flexible work hours, got to work remotely from home
Cons
Low pay, stressful at times, not a lot of overtime opportunity
Poor and ineffective management
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2018
Poor and ineffective management. The departments do not work well with each other everyone is on the defensive and make every effort to cover themselves.
Benefits
Cons
Management and Human Resources
November 20, 2018

Good
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2018
pay was not good. It was hard to get a raise and get time for continuing education. I think I would go back only if they would increase pay scale for position I held.
Pros
Was working
Cons
Pay
November 20, 2018

fast pace, super busy, poorly tone of voice with guest.
Eligibility (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2018
management was great. I felt that the center is not very customer service oriented. not enough personnel to take care of all people coming in, mailbox application data entry, logs. so much going on that they loose focus on why the guest are there to get help. a lot of mail, guest, phones, and back office locomotion and clerk have to do all those tasks and then some.. not properly trained. you learned as you go which creates more slow downs.
Some of the employees were talking to the guests so rude and this behavior is unacceptable. creates hostile environment
Pros
learned a lot. Loved the job and helping the guests.
Cons
no breaks, once you get there is GO until your lunch time and Then GO again.
October 24, 2018

unhappy employer
cook (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 8, 2019
stressful I got push into the job Never take a job that is desperate for help cause they over work you and when your not needed anymore the let you go and lie about the reason. Their management is very disrespectful and they will not give you a evaluation as promise in the handbook they give you on hiring. The hardest part of the job was pleasing my boss. I love the joy I bring to the residents.
Favoritism
Patient Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2018
Do not work here unless your are family or have a lot of friends that do because you will not succeed here! Raises are little and few- far between! Lots of tattling!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Management is unfair and sarcastic
June 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Our goal is to create a platform for all employees that provides access to career development and advancement opportunities. If you would like to share more about your experiences please contact us at talentacquisition@harrishealth.org so that we can set up a time to talk. Thank you again for your feedback as it helps us make Harris Health a better place. We wish you the best with your future endeavors.

Typical Day
Public Safety Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2018
• Received, evaluated, prioritized, and relayed calls for emergency and non-emergency public safety assistance and dispatches appropriate units and coordinates response of emergency personnel.
• Operated a variety of telecommunications equipment including radio, telephone, and computer aided dispatch systems.
• Performed a wide variety of specialized clerical duties involved in the preparation, maintenance, and release of materials related to law enforcement activities.
• Observed client's property, reporting suspicious activity, report writing, responding to emergencies/incidents promptly and efficiently, patrolling job site, controlling access of client's traffic at their facilities, operating visitor systems, assisting in tasks as assigned at discretion of management and conducts investigations and completes detailed reports
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Lack of Employees
Skilled Caos
Patient Access Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2018
My feelings about Harris Health System is not while nothing prepares you for working there you can go anywhere after being trained there because you are well skilled in multiple areas.
I love working with my patients and it is this joy that has kept me there the past 20 years. The benefits are good and the holidays and consistent work schedule is great. The hardest part of the job is that there is such an emphasis on time spent with each client that I do not believe we are giving our best. Our clinic sees over 500 patients a day and with a staff of at best 6 and down to often 5 to 4 this is hard and stressful.
I am trained in outpatient and inpatient registration. I have worked the transfer center, day surgery, bed management, and deaths area of our company. Came in with just a high school education, but the company offers tuition reimbursement so I now have a college degree.
Pros
patient contact, benefits, tuition reimbursement, disaster assistance
Cons
once you have a degree you are not promoted, stress, quick paced, perfection required

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Health System. Our community is ready to answer.