Harris Teeter Employee Reviews

Found 3,131 reviews matching the search See all 3,135 reviews
it was alright
Meat Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 15, 2019
gets you through the bare minimum. new management was terrible. they didnt care about their associates. wouldn't really recommend to anyone who would want a lasting career there but its good for a part time
Busy and productive
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCFebruary 15, 2019
A typical day at work would be fairly busy and fast paced, i learned to be a assistant manager before i had to move. workplace culture was very friendly and everyone worked as a team.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 14, 2019
Harris Teeter really values their employees and Customers. They have great prices and they treat customer service with a high regard. I have been very thankful to learn from experienced managers how to hand various situations in order to make everyone benefit.
a great company
Wine Sales/Wine Stewart (Former Employee) –  Fernandina Beach, FLFebruary 14, 2019
This is an outstanding company to work for, good leadership, good community partner and great products. The company is well respected in the community and the industry.
Underwhelming in many aspects but its there if you need money desperately
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Crozet, VAFebruary 13, 2019
Fast pace environment but customers tend to treat you like a door matt and management treats you like a cog in the machine that you very much are. I learned to tolerate my environment and move on. Management was kind but strapped with all the useless red tape that comes from a company like this. They were nice but trapped just like the lowly cashier making minimum wage. The hardest part of the job is being treated like garbage from every soccer mom thats having a bad day and needs to take it out on someone. I've never seen such a lack or decorum from people when it comes to how they view a grocery store cashier. They have a very strange scheduling system as well. They have your normal hours and on call hours which is a full shift you may or may not have to show up to. You have to call in a couple hours before your "on call shift" to see if your working or not and makes it impossible to schedule anything else the day of the shift. The most enjoyable part of this job was my last day.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
No upward mobility they do not promote from within
Its not the best.
Service Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fuquay-Varina, NCFebruary 13, 2019
They always talk about room for growth or even constant employment opportunities When there are none. Most managers are biased and very self concerned.
good upper management, bad environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, NCFebruary 13, 2019
The environment was too stressful for me considering I was getting paid less than average for a barista. The management was mostly cool, except for one or two. I would recommend cashiering there, but not barista-ing there.
Experience at Harris Teeter
Fresh Foods Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2019
From my personal experience of working for this company, there was a lack of proper training among the workers. When working, workers are forced to either train themselves or learn from their colleagues. Also, videos alone cannot train workers because the environment requires hands-on work experience. This is perceived as poor quality in such a fast-paced work environment and for a company that is franchised in different areas. For this reason, the workers in this department are responsible for properly using knives and other food utensils. Workers are also responsible for wearing cut-resistant gloves and for setting the proper temperatures for food products. If not trained by someone of higher authority such as a department manager or a longstanding employee, problems will occur from a lack of training.
Pros
Increases team building activities, opportunities for customer service
Cons
a lack of growth
Harris Teeter daily task
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 12, 2019
My Job was to give outstanding customer service to my customers and provide great leadership to my team so that we could offer world class service. I lead by example.
The job is easy
Cashier/bagger (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 12, 2019
The job itself is easy. There is quite a bit of manual labor. If you're not good on your feet for long periods of time, this may not be for you. No matter what job you do there, you're always on your feet. It's a great exercise job though.
Pros
Every week paycheck
It’s a good first job.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCFebruary 12, 2019
My review for Harris teeter is that they’re okay but it’s not something your going to want do in a year or 2. It’s more demanding when it comes to what your doing. You don’t have anyone placing the groceries on a conveyor belt. You do all on your own and if your trying to work as a cashier full time it’s going to be a workout.
Pros
You get to talk to people all the time, the environment is very nice. Also the other workers are very nice.
Cons
Your on your feet for long periods of time. There are no free lunchs.
As a department manager you might not get days off
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 12, 2019
If you are a department manager with a crew of people that are just average, then you might represent 30% of the labor force but performing 60% of the work.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Work a lot of hours
Productive way to make money but not my type of job.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Albemarle, NCFebruary 12, 2019
Harris Teeter is a good place to work, I don't enjoy it though. It is just the cashiers have so much to do get carts,take out trash, clean the bathrooms and do floor sweeps like every two hours. It is just not my type of job.
Great learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, VAFebruary 11, 2019
Like i said, it was a great learning experience since it was my first job but I didnt have the aptitudes for this kind of position. If I did stocking, it would have been a different story.
every day you come in, clock in, set up your register, and then wait. Sometimes you only wait a couple seconds for a customer but sometimes you wait half an hour.
everything else was enjoyable about the job for most people but in general it was not my forte.
Excellent Peer Relationships.
Cashier (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  301 W Broad St., Falls Church, VA 22046February 10, 2019
Fellow cashiers, department staff and customer service personnel are a joy to work with. Very supportive! Some supervisory personnel can be short and dismissive; sometimes not stopping to listen to questions from support staff to the point that multiple cashiers inquire if certain supervisors are on-duty to get an idea of the work environment will be that day.
Pros
Great peer relationships
Cons
Non-supportive supervisors
Horrible Management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, NCFebruary 10, 2019
I had to step down from my a position due to health issues and now I feel like I am being discriminated against. I was told I would be moved to another position, but have not got any hours. Management is horrible at communication. A few of the female assistant managers at the front desk are condescending and rude. They talk down to me. I am constantly stressed out, have no help on extremely busy days, I have to give up my family life to work on the weekend. I rarely get breaks and my feet and back are killing me when I get home. Although now that I have no hours coming up, I think I will look elsewhere for a decent job. This may be a good job for a teenager, but that's it!
Pros
None!
Cons
Everything!
Associates were never rewarded for anything at Harris Teeter
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCFebruary 9, 2019
Harris Teeter use to be about customer service but not anymore, it’s all about getting statements from associates to get another one written up. The manager are not compassionate to what the associates have going on in their personal lives.
Pros
The bonus checks
Cons
No compassionate mangers and ride customers
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Holly Springs, NCFebruary 8, 2019
This place is horrible, don't work here unless you have no choice. If i could go back to my highschool self I would tell him to never apply, and look somewhere else.
Pros
Cons
soul sucked from body
Depends on what your looking for
Scanning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAFebruary 8, 2019
It depends on what type of job you are looking for and what you can deal with. Normally under staffed so workers are over worked. Very few managers are willing to help, however those that will are exceptional.
No training at all.
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 7, 2019
Would be a great place to work but no training at all. Nobody really cares if your unhappy or why! Will transfer without cause and won’t give you a raise for taking on a bigger project.
Pros
Easy to advance
Cons
No training, heavy workload, stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Teeter. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss