Harris Teeter Employee Reviews

Found 2,896 reviews matching the search See all 2,900 reviews
Customer Focused Company
Store Operations - Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 16, 2018
Labor has been reduced to levels that make it difficult to maintain expectations. Management is centered on customer relations and work/life balance is non-existent.
Pros
Strong customer branding and loyalty
Cons
Reduced labor making it difficult to maximize conditions and customer service
Very Hard Work
Assistant Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 15, 2018
I was a suppy chain manager in the grocery department. I was responsible for 20 employees. Inventory, and scheduiing employees. The hardest part of job was trying to keep up with the fast past environment.
Great company
Cashier/Bagger (Former Employee) –  Waxhaw, NCOctober 15, 2018
great company, got profit sharing bonus checks and 401k at pay time. Good working atmosphere and team collaboration. Management was terrific and caring .
Pros
Profit sharing bonus
Cons
Flexibility with school needs
Fun job, poor management .
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCOctober 15, 2018
I really loved my job and I miss it now . I became friends with all of my co workers and it was a fun time . Being a cashier was not my thing, but the Home Shop department was awesome . The management was horrible depending on who was there, but otherwise it really wasn't a horrible job.
Pros
Fun, quick paced
Cons
Bad managers, rarely get requested hours
Fun
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 15, 2018
I enjoyed working here. I was able to balance my life and school between working. The management is nice and likes to have everyone working together as a cohesive group.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Not many
Management sucks!!!!!!
Assistant Lead (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 14, 2018
I like my job itself but I dont like management at all, they dont care about the way the store looks or if all the departments are running smoothly and are staffed enough to cover the flow of customer's in a timely manner, they never want to help even if u ask for it multiple times and they complain about overtime and labor but they dont do anything to help the problem instead they keep hiring young kids with no work experience and starting them off at a higher pay level than they should, causing the labor to be high, then they want to send people home early to cut it. They dont appreciate the reliable hard workers but give multiple chances to the ones who dont come in or call out alot or always want to leave early and come in late. Overall the job would be perfect if management was 10× better and did there jobs and managed.
Pros
I get the opportunity to work with family and get to know customers and have loyal regulars.
Cons
Management, management, management!!
Stressful, busy, but friendly
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Purcellville, VAOctober 13, 2018
Some stores are dead, some are rediculusly busy. Pay outside of management isn’t great but better than most retail. Advancement is definately possible if you want it.
A Life at Harris Teeter
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hampstead, NCOctober 12, 2018
Being a cashier at Harris Teeter is a great first job; it gives you experience with cashiering, customer service, and all types of customers. I learned how to run a register, scan orders very quickly while maintaining a conversation with the customer. I was grateful for the management team, they supported me in extracurricular activities and made work enjoyable. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work alongside some of my closest friends.
Pros
Free lunches once a month, 401k, bonus checks
Horrible management, great workplace
Assistant Grocery Manager (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 12, 2018
Terrible management, not exactly great for someone with a lot of professional experience, childish management, and a lot of unnecessary drama causing workplace hostility
Pros
Pay
Cons
Good retail setting to work in
Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22202October 11, 2018
Good retail setting to work in. Schedule is now structured and staff pharmacist hours have been reduced. Daily operational hours have been reduced and a company-wide 20% reduction in staff pharmacist compensation ensued
Typical Day
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 10, 2018
Some days running the front end of a store are like a roller coaster. Some days are great. You have all the help you need, and the day is consistent. Most days however are full of stressful conditions. Where you are expected to run a department with half the hours you needed scheduled.

Harris Teeter loves to cut corners to save money on staffing to earn a little extra for its share holders. They care more about their customers than the people making the customers happy.
Pros
Nice Working Conditions
Cons
Short Lunches, Stressful environment
very attractive grocery store.
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 10, 2018
It is the best grocery store business I have ever worked in.This company pays well to all externally hired managers. However, internally promoted managers do not make enough money for the amount of responsibilities they have to take on. The expectations are pretty unrealistic sometimes. Regular part time and full time employees do not make enough money for the amount and the quality of work they are expected to provide. Management is poor at certain stores. You have to work too many hours with not enough adequate help.
Pros
Good Pay and career advancement.
Cons
very expensive insurance plans and poor management.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 10, 2018
I was a cashier to Harris Teeter and it was the perfect job for me at this stage in my life. They value employee empowerment to make sure we can take care of our customers, and I love my customers.
Productive, Wonderful Administration
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bristow, VAOctober 10, 2018
Very easy job, scan items, bag them, and put them in the customers cart. I learned a lot about using a register, what items go together, how to communicate better. Management is very uptight and makes sure everything is done how the company wants everything to be done. The culture is very mixed and everyone feels included. Hardest part of the job would be the long hours of standing and not being allowed to sit or lean on anything. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably either the high pay or the interactivity with the customers.
Not what I expected.
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, NCOctober 10, 2018
Very fast pace job. Training at another store seemed a waste, procedures at stores where very different. Too many steps to processing orders on top of selecting order as required, processing order and bagging and storing for pick up. Delivery of order to customers should not be a part of shoppers duties. Many of the seasoned employees where not friendly. Enjoyed the shopping portion of job.
Harris Teeter
Chef Tournant (Current Employee) –  Saint Simons Island, GAOctober 10, 2018
I enjoy working for Harris Teeter.
It is a stable work environment. They pay well and offer excellent benefits.You will work hard. Management is fair and friendly.
Pros
Full benefits.
Cons
High turnover.
It's okay
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kernersville, NCOctober 9, 2018
Keeping employees seems to be a struggle, so we are typically understaffed which can be a problem sometimes. But the people are typically great and make the work much easier.
Fun Workplace with great benefits
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VAOctober 9, 2018
A typical day at work was very easy for me. The management cares about its employees. I have learned some new traits. Hardest part of the job is staying focused because it can be a lot of distractions.
Pros
Managers give out a good amount of hours
Cons
Short Breaks
Started good, ended horribly.
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCOctober 9, 2018
I started with a very high volume HT and it was stressful but well managed and a solid place to work. With fair pay raises and good benefits.
Then I moved and transfered to a different, smaller store. It went alright for a while then management problems kept coming up. Departmental problems which were never addressed by store management. Even after many, many, many complaints.
Average to good part time work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surf City, NCOctober 9, 2018
I enjoyed my time there. Most managers were very willing to work with you and your schedule and as a working mom, that was important to me. I enjoyed interacting with the customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Teeter. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight