Harris Teeter Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,777 reviews matching the search See all 2,781 reviews
Managment is pitiful
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Crozet, VAAugust 17, 2018
My time at Harris Teeter was ruined by incredibly poor management. They would let the people who wanted to goof off do so whenever they wanted, without any real consequence, and "yelled" at those who wanted to do a good job but couldn't do the job of multiple people. Any department managers who tried to get people to do their jobs were treated as villains by their employees and the management above. My time with Harris Teeter had almost no good moments, just bad and worse, capped off by spineless managers who, when combined, did as much as a bagger if things got rough.
Pros
Absolutely None
Very productive you keep busy
Scanning Coordinator/customer service (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 17, 2018
The insurance is not worth the price but vision and dental or fair. As long as you work and do your job you will like to work here. It’s not for lazy workers.
Pros
Free 15 minutes breaks
Cons
Health care
Customer service at Harris teeter
Customer Service Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitty Hawk, NCAugust 17, 2018
A typical day at work is busy... and then finding a way to keep busy. I learned how to complete refunds and operate self checkout which I knew how to do from walmart. The workplace culture is less mature than it should be but the customers make for a happy environment. The hardest part of the job is waiting for increase to full time status,as promised.
Pros
Fast paced during busy season
Cons
waiting for full time work
Fun environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 16, 2018
Harris Teeter was the job for me I enjoy working with people I am a people person so working a job that had to do with customer service I enjoy because I love meeting new people
Harris Teeter review
Scanning Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fuquay-Varina, NCAugust 16, 2018
Harris Teeter is a great place to and I would recommend it to anyone who asked! Overall just a great environment and managers that care about the employees and their welfare.
Provided great customer service skills
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Apex, NCAugust 16, 2018
Harris Teeter provided the key ingredients to adapting great customer service skills in order to reach customer needs and wants.
Practicing these skills on the daily made me more confident talking to customers.
More Stressful than Necessary
Fresh Foods Manager (Current Employee) –  Northern VirginiaAugust 16, 2018
While I really enjoyed the work and interaction with customers, the management is very reactionary and creates an environment of distrust. Could be a great place to work if the right management is in place.
Not a good location
Greeter/Bagger (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy Yard, DCAugust 16, 2018
The Navy Yard Harris Teeter location had a few issues to work on. Management, work hours, customer service, lack of teamwork, communication and accountability were there main issues. So, if your desire to consider that location for employment my rating is 4 out of 10.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management is very poor!
Cutthroat Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 16, 2018
Not the best experience. Underpaid for work being done. Required to work holidays with no time and half. No extra pay for volunteering 3rd shift. They also have an on-call system where you have to call in a certain time window. If you don't, it counts as a no call, no show. Hiring people into management from outside the company. Low morale overall. The only good thing about working here is it opened opportunities for other jobs.
Pros
Coworkers, easy to get time off
Cons
Low pay, no time and a half on holidays, on-call
It can be tough
Fresh Foods Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, VAAugust 16, 2018
The deli is the roughest place in the store to work because you're expected to single-highhandedly run various departments, often by yourself, and still manage to uphold the high standards of production, cleanliness, and customer service set by Harris Teeter. The biggest insult was working late and performing extra tasks because I was interested in their assistant managers program, only to have them drag their feet and dangle it over my head for a year, then offer to expedite the process after I put in my two weeks. The management there has changed various times since.
Pros
Clean Store
Cons
Eternally understaffed, Burned-out Management
Company needs to update itself with technology and update data informations
Store Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 16, 2018
Fast paced and fun invironment. Review labor, payroll, sale and overtime in daily bases. Communication with senior staff as far as daily , weekly and monthly plans for drive sale and stay competitive. I love retail in general but food business is typically very stressful and challenging as far as public safety , quality control and customer satisfaction
Fun work place but not the best management
Home Shopper (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 16, 2018
Easy job and good coworkers but management is not the best at least not at the locations I’ve worked at. Not much job advancement unless you are there for a long time.
Good job to start
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 16, 2018
Good job for high school students. Would love to see better management. This store has potential to be a really good store. Wish there were more chances to grow.
Good Experience
Deil clerk (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2018
A very pleasant and upbeat quick-paced work environment very humble and very Hands-On with customers great policies not too many jobs like that these days
typical high school job
Cashier/Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2018
They have flexible schedules. If you are in high school them being a cashier/bagger would be a perfect job to have so that you can still maintain a social life.
Pros
meeting customers
Cons
short breaks
Sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 15, 2018
Pay is def. too low. It was the end of the world if you had to go to the bathroom or get a drink. They never cleaned the employee bathrooms. A lot of people at the VA Beach Oceanfront location had some bad attitudes.
work day
Chef - Creation (Current Employee) –  Fernandina Beach, FLAugust 15, 2018
The day starts with a review of the specials. Going through the selection of entrees and sides for the food bar. then prepping all of the items you have selected . in the time frame set for your prep
. Then to execute the meal keeping up with the food items that the customers deplete. Break it down at the end of the meal. Clean up and get ready for the next job.
Pros
great group of people i work with.
Cons
long hours on your feet, can't have drinks.
Great place
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Dale City, VAAugust 15, 2018
Fast paced environment
Fresh Foods Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 14, 2018
Great , competitive company overall. Poor management. Over worked and under paid employees. It would be a really good place to work for part time or students.
Great place to work as long as you are willing to work
DELI CLERK (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 14, 2018
I really enjoyed my time here. Proper management. Great coworkers. Good hours. Proper benefits and pay. Be prepared to work and all is well. I would recommend this job to a friend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Teeter. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss