Harris Teeter Employee Reviews

Secure work place with great benefits
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Haymarket, VAApril 21, 2018
The jobs there can be stressful no doubt, but the people there are great. The benefits include insurance, paid vacations, and bonuses. Great place to work.
Fast paced
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 21, 2018
fast paced work environment and high expectations. Great place to work and learn.If you stay focused and come to work ready to make a difference you will do well
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fun place to place to work most of the time. Work can be stressful at times but it is manageable.
Fresh Foods Clerk (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 21, 2018
*A typical work day is very fast-paced. Some days are much busier than others.Work can be stressful but manageable.

*Great place to learn food service, customer service skills
Pros
Reasonable pay, benefits, opportunities for advancement, etc
Cons
Management is not always supportive of associates, demanding expectations from management, etc
Great place to work in "Fairfax"
Personal Shopper (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 19, 2018
My day started at 8:00 am and ended at 4:30. They were very serious about you take your lunches and breaks and it ways left up to you when you took them. Just make sure you are covered and let your manager know. I learned very valuable lesson on customer service on giving very customer a great experience and not letting them walk out of the door with nothing. Every manager down to the supervisor and the general manger was cool. I never work they predominately one race each made it fun for me to learn about other cultures. The only part I would say I didn't like about it has the on-calls you had to do. Only because I lived so far.
Pros
You could be relocated at any time
Cons
Always more for growth
Okay
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 19, 2018
You do not get enough hours to make a decent living. Hours are continuously cut due to low sales. They should hire less people so that the worker would have decent hours.
Harris Teeter
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cumberland County, NCApril 18, 2018
The managers at the location I worked at were unprofessional, unorganized, sloppy, and rude to customers and workers. I liked the environment, the display of the store, the customers were pleasant and the weekly pay made up for the lack of leadership in the managers.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Managers
Harris Teeter : Nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 18, 2018
The work place was very relaxing, being that work in the fuel center. The hardest part of my job is dealing with difficult customers, however, the most enjoyable part is interacting with friendly customers.
It's a good starter job or part time job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 17, 2018
I've worked at Harris Teeter for 2 years. It was a good job to start off with and I did get promoted twice within 6 months. But the job is very demanding and requires a lot of patience. The hardest part of the job is being able to multitask while running the front end.
Pros
10% off Harris Teeter products, offers to win free lunches for mystery shops
Easy Work
GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Loudoun County, VAApril 16, 2018
A non-intensive and easy, but monotonous, job. Night shift stock clerk position is very independent, with very little contact or communication needed.
very deamanding
Lead Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 16, 2018
the work load is very over whelming management is vey deamanding not much room for errors they like to teach you in avery fast paced enviroment not much advancement
If You Want to Say your Job is a joke, Work For Harris Teeter
Fresh Foods Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Purcellville, VAApril 16, 2018
5 years I have worked there and in 5 years I never received a promotion. Just more responsibilities. They only way to move up is to leave and come back in a few months for a higher position. Management has no idea what wrong in the store and broken things like bathrooms or water fountains go months without being even addressed let alone fixed. It is decent pay fro a starting job but the customers treat you poorly to get free stuff and the management is a joke.
Pros
Higher Paying start
Cons
Terrible Employee Treatment
loved it
Cashier,floral (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 16, 2018
got lots of training managers were encouraging. time was well spent. stores were clean always. customer service was number 1. floral was my favorite job
Quick paced and stressful
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 15, 2018
Harris Teeter is not for people who lack drive and focus and who have a hard time moving at a quick pace. Our days were rather quick paced especially on the weekends usually more quicker in the late afternoon to early evenings. Now while it was mostly quick we did have the off day that was so slow two hours felt like an eternity. Dealing with the customers was an experience some would laugh and joke with you while others were more just get in and get out.
Harris teeter
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Clayton, NCApril 15, 2018
I loved working here at the beginning but it soon became very stressful. they are very strict on what you do and how you do it. I enjoyed working different stations but it all became too much.
good environment
Stock clerk/general merchandise (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 12, 2018
on a good night ,we would unload and downstack grocery and frozen trucks to put out in the store..In a fun and competitive environment we would race to see who could stock shelves and face up for opening.
Pros
good people, free lunch and bonus money
Cons
cut hours and short trucks
Good workplace
HBC Clerk/Grocery Stock/Day Runner (Current Employee) –  Matthews, NCApril 12, 2018
Overall, Harris teeter is not a bad company. They offer bonus checks twice a year, their pay could be better for positions that require a lot of physical work like what I do. I am a stock clerk and the physical work can be pretty stressful and I only get paid $9.50 when Aldi's gets paid $12.50 for the same work. Its a good company to work for though, definitely stay busy and there is opportunity to rise up in the ranks. They offer good benefits too,
i love working here
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 12, 2018
this was one of my favorite jobs my first time in retail I started as cashier then moved to customer service then to homeshop/delivery
and also did some accountant
Fast paced with little incentive and poor management
Cashier, Customer Service, Stocking (Former Employee) –  Severna Park, MDApril 11, 2018
On most weekends, grocery stores have every singe line open and ready to receive customers. Not this store. Harris Teeter in Severna Park, MD, was abysmal. There were weekends where I was the only cashier, with a line wrapped around the entire store. The store owner himself had to cashier on more than one occasion. This was due to the inability to: A. schedule enough people. B. Fire people who repeatedly skipped or missed work. And C. Care, even a little bit.

This resulted in my own breaks being pushed back several hours, and dealing with aggravated customers one after the other. My complaints on lack of management did not go through and I felt invisible here. I made decent money but I was working 10-12 hour shifts with little assistance.

This was also a location that had the cashiers loading and unloading groceries from customer carts (there was no conveyor belt). This only added on to the burden of the job. While this practice helps speed the line up in the short term, in the longterm it kills productivity. I would usually work up to six or seven hours before my break and by this point I had unloaded and reloaded hundreds of carts. I was tired and tense from this. This killed my productivity and put a physical strain on my body.

Another major issue was people constantly calling out and or flat out skipping work. There were people who had called out or skipped over five times without any penalty. This put all of the other cashiers in a difficult position. We were working three times as hard to pick up the slack left by other cashiers. This was unacceptable. When
  more... I totaled my car (through no fault of my own) and considered going to the hospital they still encouraged me to come in because we were short staffed. I came in, my shirt covered in blood from the accident. They gave me a new shirt and told me to get to work. There was no sense of support or even a sense of acknowledgement. Only one manager cared, and I will never forget her kindness; it was kindness I would never experience here again.

Some managers were there to vent to, this was only because they were not being treated like managers. They were doing work that was above their pay grade, while other managers remained behind the customer service desk while everyone else struggled. The attitude here is fend for yourself. There is very little support and I would not recommend this job to anyone looking for something long term.
Pros
Reasonable pay
Cons
Long working periods, poor management
Horrible management
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 11, 2018
Managers have extremely high expectations, but do not provide you with the necessary materials or personnel in order to complete the jobs they request. They are always cutting hours and making life more stressful around the store.
Its alright...
Front Desk Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mint Hill, NC 28227April 11, 2018
More of a teenager or high school job. It is extremely stressful. Baggers do not actually bag your groceries. You are doing all the heavy lifting yourself. Expect to stand for 7 straight hours in one spot. You can only take breaks when they come over and tell you that you can. I quit because the managers were lousy and never did give us breaks even if we worked the day before thanksgiving and couldnt breathe. I broke my back lifting pounds of water bottles and charcoal bags. Again, no baggers.
Pros
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Teeter. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.4

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight