Harrisburg Area Community College Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Lots of Potential, But ...
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 23, 2018
HACC has a lot of potential to be a very good college and a great employer. However, I question the current president's business ethics and long-term strategy.
Working at the school while going to my classes
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 21, 2018
This was a great experience with taking classes to obtain my degree and working to help support my teenage son and grandchild. Meeting people from all areas of the world and life.
Was a student there
Student (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 8, 2018
I was a student at HACC did not work there, there was not too much time wasted, the days were haphazard, not consistent routines, teachers were not reliable.
Pros
Cons
too unreliable
Best place I've ever been employed
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAAugust 7, 2018
I have worked in several different fields and although I am only 22, I do know when I am appreciated and taken care of at a job. I felt so appreciated and never felt like I was under-compensated for the work I was doing. I was a writing tutor, so you'd have to love reading and writing to do this job and, of course, it was a lot of reading, but I couldn't have asked for a better supervisor or environment to have spent almost two years in employment. I highly recommend.
Pros
Flexible hours, employee appreciation
Cons
Must have degree to move up, but that is very reasonable
Great place
Professional Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 2, 2018
Being a professional writing tutor at HACC was a great opportunity to work on tutoring skills. If anything, I was underutilized. It also pays very well.
Love the staff and students Feel like I teach valuable lessons
Water exercise instructor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 30, 2018
Love teaching the students ,feel like we are left out with the changes in the process. Our years of work dose not count when hiring a position with someone who is new and you have worked 17 years.. No job id perfect
Wonderful Place To Work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 24, 2018
Wonderful Place to work. Fun. Great People.

Far from my home. Travel pay is not good. Work schedules from semester to semester are very inconsistent and unreliable.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Inconsistent Work from Semester to Semester
Support the cause of this institution 100% but be prepared to work hard
Foundation Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 23, 2018
Loved my time at HACC but the longer I was there, the more hours I was working. The benefits and colleagues are wonderful. I miss it very much but could no longer put in the number of hours required to do my job.
Pros
Tuition paid for dependents
Cons
Who has time for lunch?!
What is Community College for?
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 30, 2018
I had some wonderful students who were adults or from foreign countries who really applied themselves to gain an associates degree. However, most of the young people's skills were so weak that they could not write and had little incentive to learn to write or to be effective speakers. As is often the case in such situations, the adjunct gets blamed when the students don't learn.

I liked the diversity, however, and would have soldiered on if management hadn't been so willing to think student ratings equate to the quality of the classroom experience. Instead of challenging the students, I felt I had to placate them.
Clinical instructor
Adjunct Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  York, PAJune 29, 2018
Great place to work, supportive and collaborative co-workers, supportive and considerate Nursing Manager. Highly recommend this to nursing instructors.
Pros
flexibility, positive environment
Cons

Want to know more about Harrisburg Area Community College?

Ask a question
Difficult to Advance
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 28, 2018
Work environment is suitable to needs, however difficult to advance to full time faculty. Decent work/life balance, management willing to work with you.
Love it!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 23, 2018
Perfect Student worker job, full time and helped aid in paying my tuition, staff was kind and flexible very laid back and relaxed environment and the ability to meet students
Great student worker job
Administrative Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAMay 3, 2018
This job is a very easy first time job as a student, it will help transition you to being more professional in admin work. Flexible hours. a lot of connections.
Instructing opportunity
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAMay 1, 2018
Enjoyable learning atmosphere. There was an opportunity to work with many local maintenance technicians. As the industrial controls instructor, I enjoyed the teaching opportunity.
great place to work
Faculty Dental Assisting/EFDA Instructor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 17, 2018
great place to work
I would highly recommend
all staff and support staff are great
beautiful campus with a great education paired with great energy.
The learning environment is above and beyond any I have ever been involved with
The staff and administration WANT students to succeed and they do everything they can to collaborate and make that goal a reality
It is also very financially friendly for students and parents.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Too much power given to students
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAApril 3, 2018
I apparently lost my adjunct teaching jobs at HACC because the students didn't like me. It was kind of a shame because I like a lot of them, especially the people who were given the opportunity to go to Community College after the 2008-9 deep recession.

Unfortunately, many of the younger students did not want to study or learn and found my insistence that they do so annoying.

Management weighted student evaluations over everything else that I achieved for the organization, such as writing an article in support of one of their outreach programs and teaching students with a range of challenges including acute autism.
System Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  York, PAApril 1, 2018
Harrisburg Area Community College is great to work for as non-teaching staff. Benefits and environment are satisfactory. There are multiple campuses in nearby cities so there are options for relocation.
Productive workplace with a lot of company
Math and Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 30, 2018
The tutor job was definitely very productive. It enhanced my communication skills as I would work with individuals on whether it be solving problems in Mathematics, or Physics, etc. I also tutored in Writing, which I think eventually made me a better writer. I would proofread people's articles and essays and try to find errors and help them make it better by changing words and sentences around. Also, occasionally, I would work with another tutor in a team which gave me an opportunity to learn from them as well.
Not Great
Foundational Studies Adjunct Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 12, 2018
My experience was not enjoyable. The management was not organized and didn't care about the people at the college. While some leaders seemed to be effective, most were ineffective or unethical.
Great Character
Nurse Clinical Educator (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 9, 2018
Awesome management, cultural diversity, a typical day at work is being with students at the clinical site, the hardest part of the job is dealing with politics and drama. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing and shaping the new generation of nurses.
Pros
self efficacy and self worth