Harrisburg Area Community College Employee Reviews

What is Community College for?
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 30, 2018
I had some wonderful students who were adults or from foreign countries who really applied themselves to gain an associates degree. However, most of the young people's skills were so weak that they could not write and had little incentive to learn to write or to be effective speakers. As is often the case in such situations, the adjunct gets blamed when the students don't learn.

I liked the diversity, however, and would have soldiered on if management hadn't been so willing to think student ratings equate to the quality of the classroom experience. Instead of challenging the students, I felt I had to placate them.
Difficult to Advance
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 28, 2018
Work environment is suitable to needs, however difficult to advance to full time faculty. Decent work/life balance, management willing to work with you.
Love it!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 23, 2018
Perfect Student worker job, full time and helped aid in paying my tuition, staff was kind and flexible very laid back and relaxed environment and the ability to meet students
Great student worker job
Administrative Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAMay 3, 2018
This job is a very easy first time job as a student, it will help transition you to being more professional in admin work. Flexible hours. a lot of connections.
Instructing opportunity
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAMay 1, 2018
Enjoyable learning atmosphere. There was an opportunity to work with many local maintenance technicians. As the industrial controls instructor, I enjoyed the teaching opportunity.
great place to work
Faculty Dental Assisting/EFDA Instructor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 17, 2018
great place to work
I would highly recommend
all staff and support staff are great
beautiful campus with a great education paired with great energy.
The learning environment is above and beyond any I have ever been involved with
The staff and administration WANT students to succeed and they do everything they can to collaborate and make that goal a reality
It is also very financially friendly for students and parents.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Too much power given to students
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAApril 3, 2018
I apparently lost my adjunct teaching jobs at HACC because the students didn't like me. It was kind of a shame because I like a lot of them, especially the people who were given the opportunity to go to Community College after the 2008-9 deep recession.

Unfortunately, many of the younger students did not want to study or learn and found my insistence that they do so annoying.

Management weighted student evaluations over everything else that I achieved for the organization, such as writing an article in support of one of their outreach programs and teaching students with a range of challenges including acute autism.
System Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  York, PAApril 1, 2018
Harrisburg Area Community College is great to work for as non-teaching staff. Benefits and environment are satisfactory. There are multiple campuses in nearby cities so there are options for relocation.
Productive workplace with a lot of company
Math and Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 30, 2018
The tutor job was definitely very productive. It enhanced my communication skills as I would work with individuals on whether it be solving problems in Mathematics, or Physics, etc. I also tutored in Writing, which I think eventually made me a better writer. I would proofread people's articles and essays and try to find errors and help them make it better by changing words and sentences around. Also, occasionally, I would work with another tutor in a team which gave me an opportunity to learn from them as well.
Not Great
Foundational Studies Adjunct Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 12, 2018
My experience was not enjoyable. The management was not organized and didn't care about the people at the college. While some leaders seemed to be effective, most were ineffective or unethical.
Great Character
Nurse Clinical Educator (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 9, 2018
Awesome management, cultural diversity, a typical day at work is being with students at the clinical site, the hardest part of the job is dealing with politics and drama. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing and shaping the new generation of nurses.
Pros
self efficacy and self worth
Great employer
Clinical Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  York, PAMarch 8, 2018
Enjoyed working with the students. Always well prepared prior to starting a new semester. Always had the opportunity to pick up extra classes to cover other instructors.
Pros
A union was trying to be formed there.
Cons
adjunct position right now
HACC is a college
Warehouse Equipment Movement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 3, 2018
I went to HACC to get a certification course to become better in the warehouse industry. The overall experience was what I needed and my skills have become better... I recommend HACC to anyone trying to further their education...
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Short breaks
Fun place
Financial Aid Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 1, 2018
Very fun place to work and you want to see the students succeed but upper management doesn’t invest in their staff. The pay wasn’t very competitive with other school. I did like my job
Pros
Working with the public to
Cons
The pay is horrible
Great atmosphere
Learning/Resource Center student employee (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAFebruary 6, 2018
Great people to work with, Many interesting things happening. Would have stayed if a position would have been available for more hours and better pay.
Educational
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 4, 2018
The team balanced responsibilities, supported continued education, supported new ideas and creativity. They truly were focused on the students and not themselves.
Enjoyable Work - No Job Security
Adjunct Professor of Exercise Science (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 1, 2018
I have stayed with HACC for four years waiting for a full time or regular part time position. As an adjunct, there is no such thing as seniority. No priority placement over new hires for available courses.

There is very little guidance or support from management, but as an independent worker this has never bothered me.

Flexible hours and fun students are the most enjoyable parts of the job.
in school job
IT student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 19, 2018
this was a job to help pay for school education. I loved the job because it was a great learning experience. I had a wonderful manager who taught me many applicable information to my degree.
Pros
free education
Cons
low pay
review of HACC
Safety & Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 10, 2018
I don't want to write anything about the college. There are many goods things about working there. There are also many bad things about working there.
Pros
Benefits, Good security
Cons
Money, College President
Stressful with low pay and accomidations
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 10, 2018
Not good to work as a student, provided very little to accommodate you. Low pay with no benefits and poor environment to work with too much drama. No room for advancement.
Pros
Flexiable hours
Cons
No benefits or accomidations