Harrisburg Area Community College Employee Reviews

Hacc
Adjunct Chemistry Instructor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 14, 2019
This is a depressing place to work. All adjuncts and the full time faculty are all burned out. They base your ratings on just the students opinions and want teachers who make the students feel good rather than expect academic achievement. It was the least favorite of the various places I have taught. I taught at both the Harrisburg and Gettysburg campuses and both were the same. At Harrisburg they do like some of the adjuncts to get extra work in the tutoring center, that was unique and very nice.
Pros
Great administrative support from the secretaries, etc
Cons
Poor support from the full time faculty
A diverse work environment
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 15, 2019
The team I work with is excellent, we communicate and cooperate with each other very well. The hardest part of the job is working with the other IT departments as they do not have the same reporting line and do not communicate with our team. I manage just over 5000 systems with SCCM maintaining security patches, applications, and system images.
Pros
Holiday time, paid time off
Cons
Healthcare cost
Great place to teach
Adjunct Professor of Spanish (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 14, 2019
Harrisburg Area Community College is a wonderful place to teach. The students are top-notch and keep you on your toes. I really enjoy working there.
Web Development and Design Program
Student (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 11, 2019
I took all my courses online and would recommend when classes are available in class that you try and make yourself available to take those courses...
Was a contract instructor
Technician Instructor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 2, 2019
Worked under contract as an instructor for thrbEmergency Medical Technician classes. I would coordinate and teach the classes for a 6 month period. It is really hard to rate them since I was an adjunct
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Getting assistant instructirs
Positive work atmosphere
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 13, 2018
HACC has a great atmosphere to work as adjunct faculty and is very supportive of their staff. They will always provide you the resources needed to successful educate your students.
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Busy
Fun and Welcoming Environment
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 24, 2018
Management is very supportive, I am efficient in my job because of the training I received and support from management. My co-workers are also very supportive.
Pros
Flexiable Schedule
Cons
Cap on hours that can be worked.
experiential learning
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 10, 2018
As a Math Tutor at Community Collage, I learned a lot helping other students. It was a very challenging and satisfying position. I recommend all students to work as a tutor because the knowledge you gain from teaching is more meaningful compared to the knowledge you get from traditional methods of learning.
Lots of Potential, But ...
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 23, 2018
HACC has a lot of potential to be a very good college and a great employer. However, I question the current president's business ethics and long-term strategy.
Working at the school while going to my classes
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 21, 2018
This was a great experience with taking classes to obtain my degree and working to help support my teenage son and grandchild. Meeting people from all areas of the world and life.
Was a student there
Student (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 8, 2018
I was a student at HACC did not work there, there was not too much time wasted, the days were haphazard, not consistent routines, teachers were not reliable.
Pros
Cons
too unreliable
Best place I've ever been employed
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAAugust 7, 2018
I have worked in several different fields and although I am only 22, I do know when I am appreciated and taken care of at a job. I felt so appreciated and never felt like I was under-compensated for the work I was doing. I was a writing tutor, so you'd have to love reading and writing to do this job and, of course, it was a lot of reading, but I couldn't have asked for a better supervisor or environment to have spent almost two years in employment. I highly recommend.
Pros
Flexible hours, employee appreciation
Cons
Must have degree to move up, but that is very reasonable
Great place
Professional Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 2, 2018
Being a professional writing tutor at HACC was a great opportunity to work on tutoring skills. If anything, I was underutilized. It also pays very well.
Love the staff and students Feel like I teach valuable lessons
Water exercise instructor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 30, 2018
Love teaching the students ,feel like we are left out with the changes in the process. Our years of work dose not count when hiring a position with someone who is new and you have worked 17 years.. No job id perfect
Wonderful Place To Work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJuly 24, 2018
Wonderful Place to work. Fun. Great People.

Far from my home. Travel pay is not good. Work schedules from semester to semester are very inconsistent and unreliable.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Inconsistent Work from Semester to Semester
Support the cause of this institution 100% but be prepared to work hard
Foundation Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 23, 2018
Loved my time at HACC but the longer I was there, the more hours I was working. The benefits and colleagues are wonderful. I miss it very much but could no longer put in the number of hours required to do my job.
Pros
Tuition paid for dependents
Cons
Who has time for lunch?!
What is Community College for?
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 30, 2018
I had some wonderful students who were adults or from foreign countries who really applied themselves to gain an associates degree. However, most of the young people's skills were so weak that they could not write and had little incentive to learn to write or to be effective speakers. As is often the case in such situations, the adjunct gets blamed when the students don't learn.

I liked the diversity, however, and would have soldiered on if management hadn't been so willing to think student ratings equate to the quality of the classroom experience. Instead of challenging the students, I felt I had to placate them.
Clinical instructor
Adjunct Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  York, PAJune 29, 2018
Great place to work, supportive and collaborative co-workers, supportive and considerate Nursing Manager. Highly recommend this to nursing instructors.
Pros
flexibility, positive environment
Difficult to Advance
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 28, 2018
Work environment is suitable to needs, however difficult to advance to full time faculty. Decent work/life balance, management willing to work with you.
Love it!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 23, 2018
Perfect Student worker job, full time and helped aid in paying my tuition, staff was kind and flexible very laid back and relaxed environment and the ability to meet students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harrisburg Area Community College. Our community is ready to answer.

Harrisburg Area Community College Reviews by Location