Harrisburg Area Community College
Happiness rating is 74 out of 100

Harrisburg Area Community College Employee Reviews

United States149 reviews

Good work life balance8

Good work life balance, time off, can be too much beuracacy and turn over. Staff are minimally trained . Learn on the job. Administration is hard for students to reach

Pros

Time off

Cons

Unpleasant phone calls

Great people and easy to adapt

Learn new skills and met great people. Had flexible schedule that didn’t disrupt my studies.Only can do max of 20 hours which was fine. The pay was okay.

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice coworkers, place to learn

Cons

Pay is okay

Harrisburg Area Community College insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility

The job had good pay although I see pay rates decreased since I left.

I think there are good opportunities here but my manager was really not paying attention to what was happening in our office and so I didn't get the support I needed in my role.

Pros

Good pay.

Cons

No job security for a casual worker.

Easy work, great people

I worked part time as a student worker in the Military and Veterans Affairs Office (Harrisburg campus) on behalf of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. This was one of the best gigs to have while attending school. However, it does not set you up very well for your future career (depending on what that may be). As a veteran, it was great being surrounded by other like-minded veterans. The pay was minimum wage, but was also tax-free and non-reportable income. The job consisted of informing incoming veteran students on the ins and outs of utilizing their GI Bill benefits, maintaining physical and digital records of students, excel data entry, and customer service (phone calls, emails and walk-ins). Since this is a student worker position, school work is encouraged during any down time. I would recommend this job to anyone looking for a relaxed part-time job while attending school.

Pros

Relaxed work environment, simple tasks

Cons

Low pay

A good place to work

It has been quite awhile since I worked there but the way I remember it they were fair and really cared about their employees. The benefits were really good back then.

Great Colleagues and Students but overworked for pay

Title says it all. There is an old school culture here that makes it difficult to advance solid research based ideas and movement in the world of education. It's an unfortunate combination because both students and the institution would benefit from some updating of pedologic infrastructure and pay.

Pros

students, collegues

Cons

pay, hours, upward mobility

Not much motivation to return

I worked as a seasonal employee within the bookstore. When originally hired, I was supposed to work as a cashier, but then I ended up stocking shelves and unboxing items. Overall, I feel as if my skills/talents were not put to use and I felt bored most of the time. I lasted about one year (3 semesters) in this position and I would probably never go back. Very awkward work environment as well. I applied for several other positions while working in various assignments within the college and was never offered the position to grow.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Tasks, Too much downtime, Pay

Flexible and Accommodating, But Not Without Its Flaws

The college and the various campuses are pleasant spaces and I feel appreciated for the work I do. Lots of time off, 4 day week from May to August. Benefits are excellent, the salary range is low to mid for South-Central PA area. Job security is pretty much assured provided you show up and do your job. Some faculty want to unionize, but as staff I do not see an obvious reason for unionization. The management has vision that if you are actively against its agenda you may be asked or forced to leave, especially if you work higher up in the college. There is zero-tolerance of anything deemed politically incorrect, and a few staffers have left voluntarily and involuntarily because of this. However, if you are mindful of this, you can avoid scrutiny. Most of the students, staff, and faculty are easy to get along with.

Pros

Benefits, time off, flexibility, atmosphere, sense of purpose

Cons

Little upward mobility, autocratic management, bureaucracy, low salary

Great job...great learning arena...loved teaching

Everything was absolutely perfect except the wages and benefits and very little room for advancement within the college. I had NO aspirations to be Dean or in management so teaching had no variation or challenge once you've mastered your curriculum. Personal challenges and growth within the college were very limited.

Pros

Great atmosphere and group interactions

Cons

Low wages and few benefits

Adjunct Instructor

Work is clear cut and materials are provided in an organized fashion. HACC has an abundance of resources and genuinely cares about providing quality education at affordable prices to students. As an instructor, I feel valued and happy to contribute.

People

Everyone was very helpful. The training was god and I enjoyed helping students and professors. I also supervised a student intern which was valuable to me.

Excellent workplace for sutudents

Being a student worker in the HACC library provides students with an respectful environment to be able to have a job while you are obtaining a higher Education.

Pros

Ample opportunities to have a quiet place to work and study.

Cons

Short breaks, no opportunities to get a pay raise

Student tutor

I was hired as an English tutor, but they could never remember that and sometimes sent me math students. In my last year there I was serving as an unofficial computer tutor since no one else was ever there to help students. Most of the time the job was boring and, towards the end of my last semester, we were not allowed to talk with the other tutors, even if there were no students around. It became a very restricted, unpleasant atmosphere. I stuck it out until I graduated, but wouldn't have gone back to work there if I was still a student. I also wasn't paid for training the one year, which was maybe illegal since the training was mandatory.

Pros

Could do schoolwork if not busy

Cons

Boring and low pay

Avoid this place

Lack of direction and outlook. Not student or faculty focused college. Don't disagree with the president or his keeper or you will be unemployed. Questionable what the future holds as unilateral decisions are made under the guise of a committee. Used to be a great place.

Supportive, flexible, involvement with others

Typical day involves lecture, lab skill demonstrations, validating students on lab skills, helping students practice skills, test development/grading, nursing & college meetings. Most enjoyable part is working with others. Workplace culture is very supportive. Upper management is easy to work with and wants to hear problems/concerns. I learned how to work closely with others in an academic setting.

Working in the Student government office required me to learn punctuality, team building, and how to manage my time between myself and other projects that needed to be completed. The hardest part was meeting my homework expectations but it was also enjoyable to see my work come to life through event planning.

Power hungry and incompetent management run the college

Incompetent management in many areas, especially the top leadership team. Driven by money, not education or student success models. College recently fired all counselors only to restructure and hire another level of top management, with some making over $100k. Lack of true understanding of educational goals ... No one seems to be guarding the hen house and top leadership make unilateral decisions. If you disagree with the president, you will suddenly be unemployed. Managed by fear. This is not the HACC that the Founders had in mind, where there was a partnership between administrators, faculty and students. The instruction is still top notch and professors care about their students, but it may not be sustainable. Very sad.

Diverse and Inclusive

I love HACC and the people. Super supportive at every level of academia and supports students.The virtual learning program is phenomenal and layers of support for everyone.

Just okay

As an employer, I found it to be somewhat outdated and resistant to change. There was a power struggle between administration and faculty. They would benefit from implementing better integrative thinking strategies.

Gain Experience

It is a stepping stone on the ladder to your future goals. I would advise everyone not to think long term. The job is perfect to network and learn new things.

Pros

Gain Experience

Cons

No benefits, low wage

Decent place to work.

Student work was sometimes busy and sometimes slow as paint drying, but it was a decent part-time job that gave you experience if you took it seriously.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harrisburg Area Community College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits
  • Harrisburg Area Community College
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?