Harrison and Star Employee Reviews

stressful place to work
Admin. Assistant,President and Account Team (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2018
was not happy there had very little help on job training and teams did not work together not a happy place to work at all the admins were very nice and helpful to each other.
Pros
good commute from my home
Cons
not organized as a team to work together no communication at all
Very professional, highly creative agency with excellent staff and management.
VP, Accociate Creative Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2018
Work begins with reviewing client and account emails, and reviewing creative. I learned the importance of wording closely with art, account, and management. Harrison and Star was the most professional agency I've ever worked at.
Nice place
Group Account Supervisor - Genentech-Tecentriq (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2018
Overall, good place to work. Heavy Genentech allegiance which could be problematic for those not working on those pieces of business. Great location and most folks are very friendly and successful.
Smart people and lots of work
Senior Production Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2018
H&S has many smart people and does great work for their clients.
We start with status in the morning and review routes all day. Release jobs to vendors all day. Meet with teams to discuss specifics of jobs all day. Always learning and expanding knowledge. Creating great work that the clients like and need. Friendly people and positive feedback from peers and managers make this a nice place to work. We create material for many conventions and usually have little time to turn around the jobs so we often work late before these meetings.
Pros
Creative people who get the job done.
Cons
Combining with another agency.
The process can't be beat
Manager (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 12, 2018
This company has a great job flow process where everyone knows what he/she should do and when. It helps us put out the best possible product for our clients.
Pros
Very friendly coworkers, great processes
Cons
Low pay, bad morale from Omnicom, commuting to Jersey City
A disappointing experience
Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2017
I was thrilled when I first started at Harrison & Star. Almost everything was an improvement on my previous position--the atmosphere, team dynamics, compensation and benefits. I especially enjoyed the feeling of community in the editorial department. I didn't mind when both of the brands I worked on got especially busy, because as a Junior Editor, I was eligible for overtime.

However, things changed in the spring of 2017, when the parent company (Omnicom) gave H+S notice that it had to move some of its employees from Manhattan to Jersey City. Although Upper Management expressed its disapproval of Omnicom's move, they made extremely poor decisions on who would move to JC. The ED department was cut in half, with half staying in NY and half going to NJ, which decimated morale and ruined the sense of belonging I felt. My commuting time increased, and the JC office has been a bit difficult to adjust to.

When I received a promotion, I should have been excited. However, as a Junior Editor, I had been eligible for overtime, which supplemented my somewhat meager salary. I had been hired at a lower rate, since it was my first position in pharmaceutical advertising, but I had proven my worth and expected a fair bump. As an Editor, however, I am no longer eligible for overtime pay, and the salary increase was laughably small, so I am making less than I did as a Junior Editor.

My final gripe is one that is difficult for large companies to overcome, and I've experienced it at other companies I've worked for. The problem is the total disconnect between Upper Management and everyone
  more... else. H+S likes to say that its people are its most valuable resource, but the truth is that the people really don't matter. Inevitably, the company will suffer because it doesn't invest in/cultivate the many talented people who work there.  less
Pros
generous PTO and benefits, casual atmosphere
Cons
Low pay, disconnect between Upper Management and everyone else
Harrison and Star
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 30, 2017
Great Company with a good core culture in high science communicating to doctors and medical professionals. Great people and location in lower Manhattan.
Good Place To Start/Grow
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2017
I've been at H&S for 9 years now and it's the agency that's allowed to me flex my creative 'muscle' and grow as a manager- originally a Senior Traffic.
Pros
Car Services home/ Seamless orders post-6pm for work
Cons
Poor Upper/Sr. Management- no consistency
Pros and Cons
Art Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2017
Room for growth, start off with 20 PTO days, everybody is nice. Home/work balance isn't the best for those in account. It's not uncommon for employee to work until midnight when jobs are hot. While this is a great company, unfortunately account rules over creative and is more concerned about quantity than quality of work.
Pros
Great vacation days
Cons
No work life balance, creatively stifled
Fun Company with Disorganized Management
Client Accounting Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2015
Worklife balance is probably the worst thing about the company. Looks like a call center more than an office now with renovations. Other than that if you have a good manager the company can be very exciting and fun.
Great Work Enviornment and Great People
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 20, 2014
A typical day of work was to report to the office by 9am. I would set up my computer at my desk and read e-mails to plan my day around what need to be done usually in order. I would then proceed to what need to be done in the main office first then I would travel to two different related-offices to transport documents and to pick up documents that needed to be brought back to the main office. I have learned how to interact with people very well, I also improved my typing skills, I managed to multi-task and lots more. I am very responsible when it comes to managing myself and my job duties that are assigned to me. The hardest part of the job sometimes was traveling. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I worked with all different kinds of people with all different personalities that has helped me understand how to succeed better.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Traveling
Incredible Culture
Art Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2014
The culture at Harrison and Star is incredible. They support all their employees and treat them as such. It is not uncommon to see an executive joining the ranks of other employees, and work diligently alongside them. They believe in a strong work ethic, but having a fun experience at the same time. I think a lot of companies could learn from their business model.
Serious focus about the work, balanced with great culture.
Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2014
Harrison and Star is a great place to work, with tremendous, science-focused culture balanced by a good sense of humor, great teamwork, and humane treatment from the top down. Strong emphasis on employee growth and development.
Pros
Free coffee, Bagel Fridays, staff education and development focus.
Cons
None. One of the best companies I've worked for.
It's ok
ACCOUNT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 19, 2013
The team you get is everything. Every team is different. So much of liking a job is liking who you work with.