Hartford HealthCare Employee Reviews

It used to be a great place/ not anymore
nurse (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 14, 2019
Overworked unless your in the click. Poor manager, he can't even write a complete sentence. It is being run like a business with unsafe staffing levels. Upper management keeps taking raises and bonuses. The new management has ruined what was once a family environment. Now they encourage you to do the quickest thing, not the right thing for patients. It is so sad
Pros
learn a lot
Cons
overworked and lack of respect
very professional and fun group to work with
Senior technologist (Former Employee) –  Hartford HospitalJanuary 10, 2019
Working there for more than 40 years gave me an appreciation for the organization as a whole and the mission to put the patient first. To see how the institution evolved over the years to accomodate the major changes in healthcare was amazing and I miss my role there.
Pros
401K, health benefits
Cons
pay raises not always meeting inflation
Horrible Place to Work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 10, 2019
My job title was Office Manager and my Director was a horrible leader. She Micromanaged and was inappropriate and unprofessional all the time. I brought it to her attention as we were told we should be doing and she made it an extremely toxic place to work. When I got hired at another place of employment the manager they brought is was negative and had been degrading my character to everyone around her. She has also been deemed inappropriate and unprofessional and she is still there because she is friends with her Director. The Vice president and the other upper management knows of the type of person she is and still continues to employee her. She is uneducated and does not have a degree as it is required for the position. Unfortunately they lost a loyal and great employee. With as big of an organization and the diverse staff, you would think that there would not be any cultural bias but there is. The problem is that there is a lot of clicks and if you are not in one of them you are outcaste. The pay was not the greatest with a degree I was making bare minimum as a Manager. not one time did I get mentored or coached because my Director did not have the skills to do so. When it comes to moving forward forget it you are out of luck! no room to move and advance. Do not let the hype of how big the organization there are other places to work that will give you what you should be getting in a career!
Pros
Cons
Management, pay, benefits and culture toxic place to work
great
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hartford, ALJanuary 1, 2019
this is a great place to work. since it is so small you have a greater chance to get to know your patients. also as a floor nurse it was a great place to work
Truly a bad place to work
Lead HVACR (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTDecember 31, 2018
Really DO NOT WORK HERE! What they say and what they do are two different things. The management is the worst I'v ever encountered. The place is unhealthy,and unsanitary. The pay is unreasonable for what they ask of you,and so are the hours. If you like your job being threatened daily, and don't need a life outside of work, than apply. It truly is the worst job I'v ever had
Pros
Cons
Too many to count
You are never moving up unless you’re in the “in crowd”
LCSW (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTDecember 27, 2018
Any Hartford Healthcare entity does “the right thing, the kind thing,the safe thing and the best thing” ONLY when it benefits the company financially or politically. If you try to use the motto to actually help patients and the system and management doesn’t agree- watch out. I have never worked for employer (until now) where the most inappropriate people get promoted into manager positions- often the bullies, the unkind who know how to turn the HHC lingo on when upper management are around and then will say unprofessional things after. Pay is completely unfair and is based on when they hired you- NOT your education or experience. We have NTs with no experience making $18 an hour bc they were just hired and others with years of experience making $14. Don’t even try to discuss it with your manager or HR. HHC has a bunch of jaragon propaganda lingo and concepts that they push on you but don’t model themselves
Pros
Flexible schedule; 3-12 hour shift, collegues
Cons
Pay, management, benefits, no growth opportunity
Poor Leadership and Ineffective Communication
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Vernon, CTDecember 26, 2018
It is absolutely necessary to ask to question or at least discuss with the previous person holding the position you are interviewing for. Interviews for management level positions do not include the ability to review the role with the previous staff member and does not provide honest expectations of the role. Medical Directors in the ambulatory settings do not follow hospital policy and there is not a LEAN focus on patient care experience and patient satisfaction. If you work in the Medical Group be prepared to have to settle when it comes to quality improvement, healthy boundaries, positive physician-staff relationships, and respect from leadership.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No focus on patient experience quality, no respect of Medical Assistants, inconsistent communication styes
Productive and fun place to work
eLearning Developer - EHR Consultant (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTDecember 19, 2018
Hartford Healthcare supports their mission of integrity and support across the organization. I was allowed the freedom to create eLearnings with my own design ideas and adult learning techniques.
RN home health visiting nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  CTDecember 8, 2018
Recently hired, work far more than the 40 hours a week I am salaried to work. There is no work/life balance and I regret leaving my hospital job to come here. I was told I would be assigned to a certain area and am working 15 to 20 miles past that area. You don't receive mileage to your first patient so I drive over 30 miles to my first visit and more than 30 miles home at the end of my day without being paid for it. I feel that my training was rushed and that I don't have a good grasp on how to do the job. Co-workers are very supportive. Pay is slightly more than I was making. The hours are terrible and I spend my days dehydrated and having to use the bathroom. Forget the 30 minutes "allotted" for lunch/needs, it's a 1/2 hour you are working for free in addition to the several hours you will spend working once you get home. I enjoy most of my patients and like the 1:1 setting. Families can be difficult if there are bad dynamics. Overall, this is not the job for me and I feel trapped because Hartford Healthcare owns so much in Connecticut that, if I resign, I am worried that it will affect my future prospects. I plan on staying long enough that moving on won't give a bad impression. I would advise any nurse considering any sort of visiting nursing to be wary of any employer. The job appears to be the same across all companies.
Pros
Supportive co-workers
Cons
Salaried, work far more hours than paid for, poor work/life balance, long commute, 5 days a week
unsure
Environmental Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Meriden, CTDecember 3, 2018
Presently working here. It is a business not a non-profit so it acts like a business. The raises are poor. The communication is slow and poor. I have met many workers in the same situation as me and they stay because they need the job.
Pros
There is always work and as long as you do your job satisfactory they will keep you on.
Cons
unpaid lunch, not many benefits, low or no annual increases.

Want to know more about Hartford HealthCare?

Ask a question
Horrible Place to be
EVS Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 24, 2018
the most horrible place to work. never send your enemy to go there and work.

modern-day slavery is what goes on there.

converting human beings to a robot

the worst management so far in Connecticut
Pros
flexible hrs
Cons
worst management, illiterate managers and supervisors in the environment service department
Good luck working with cliques
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTNovember 23, 2018
Horrible experience in Urology. If you don't participate in the BS and you call people out when they dont work be prepared to be blackballed and your co workers to make your life miserable. They are a bunch of snitches that will say anything including lie to get you in trouble. Be prepared for your supervisor to play favorites and if your not one of them forgot it! Just a bunch of young people with absolutely no work ethic and a supervisor that let's her favorites get away with murder. My stress level has gotten so much better now that I moved on! Beware its not a nice place to work!
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
not nice people, no structure and s supervisor that doesnt care!
Horrible Pay
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 15, 2018
If you want to be overworked and under paid come work here. Management is a joke but the co workers are nice. Even their raises are a joke. Not worth your time.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
pay, managment, everything else
Do not work here
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 14, 2018
Horrible pay, horrible management, unbelievable stress, no career advancement, nobody wants to take suggestions on how to improve. Work your butt off and get absolutely nothing in return!!
Pros
I worked with a good group of people, okay benefits
Cons
Everything else
Hartford Healthcare
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wethersfield, CTNovember 13, 2018
I started at Hartford Healthcare with a manager that had daily communications on tasks. In a new job it is important when new to get a sense of priority and focus. Communication in any corporation is the key to success. Collaboration with the other admin was hard because of me being a temp. She was competitive instead looking to me as an asset. While I worked there had done a big project of data analysis and organizational workflow chart found fascinating. Created many charts pivot charts so they used their software wisely and based everything off statistics. The job had variety really enjoyed along with a flexible schedule. Unfortunately, they went through a reorganization and my job was temporary. The hardest part of the job not everyone was collaborative and competitiveness among coworkers could be stressful for a new person learning the culture.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Competiveness
2 Stars for a reason...
Applications (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 6, 2018
Leadership is lacking, very "click" based environment, and those who actually do work are overworked while others get to take advantage of the situation. Hartford Healthcare leaves a lot to be desired.
Nurse Practitioner, Full-time (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 4, 2018
I was a nurse practitioner in an outpatient specialty position east of the river at HHCMG for over 5 years. Initially my salary was less than other providers with similar experience in a the same type of setting however the company did an overhaul of the pay structure to make salaries more uniform and fair for mid-levels and my salary rose to a very competitive level.
For me to do the job properly (timely and comprehensive documentation, communicating results to patients, etc) it took more than 40 hours per week but with EHR I could document from home which was a blessing and a curse - great to do some work at home, difficult to separate work from personal time.
I had my own patient panel and a high level of autonomy, physicians were generally easy to access and helpful when collaboration/support was needed.
Benefits were comprehensive and cost was reasonable. Good amount of PTO and time/money allotted for CME
The nurse and medical assistant I worked with were excellent and that made a world of difference.
They paid a yearly bonus for meeting 2 goals developed with your supervising physician at the beginning of the year. Goals were reasonable to meet.
Overall I found it to be an excellent place to work as a nurse practitioner.
Pros
Benefits, salary, and respect for nurse practitioners in the organization from the top down
Cons
Required more than 40 hours to really do the job properly
Company with good ideals who truly cares about their patients
Systems Architect (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTNovember 1, 2018
Great work ideals. They are still working on the execution but it is improving. They are working hard on the implementations of LEAN business principles. Teams members work very well together.
Management uneducated
Manager (Former Employee) –  HhcOctober 29, 2018
My manager was inappropriate and unprofessional. When it was brought to her attention she started to make working there a miserable place. So I ended up moving on.
n/a
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 25, 2018
Enjoyed working at Hartford Healthcare very much. I was an employee for 3 years. I enjoyed the staff that I worked with very very much. Great place for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hartford HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight