Hartford HealthCare Employee Reviews

Horrible Pay
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 15, 2018
If you want to be overworked and under paid come work here. Management is a joke but the co workers are nice. Even their raises are a joke. Not worth your time.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
pay, managment, everything else
Do not work here
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 14, 2018
Horrible pay, horrible management, unbelievable stress, no career advancement, nobody wants to take suggestions on how to improve. Work your butt off and get absolutely nothing in return!!
Pros
I worked with a good group of people, okay benefits
Cons
Everything else
2 Stars for a reason...
Applications (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 6, 2018
Leadership is lacking, very "click" based environment, and those who actually do work are overworked while others get to take advantage of the situation. Hartford Healthcare leaves a lot to be desired.
Nurse Practitioner, Full-time (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 4, 2018
I was a nurse practitioner in an outpatient specialty position east of the river at HHCMG for over 5 years. Initially my salary was less than other providers with similar experience in a the same type of setting however the company did an overhaul of the pay structure to make salaries more uniform and fair for mid-levels and my salary rose to a very competitive level.
For me to do the job properly (timely and comprehensive documentation, communicating results to patients, etc) it took more than 40 hours per week but with EHR I could document from home which was a blessing and a curse - great to do some work at home, difficult to separate work from personal time.
I had my own patient panel and a high level of autonomy, physicians were generally easy to access and helpful when collaboration/support was needed.
Benefits were comprehensive and cost was reasonable. Good amount of PTO and time/money allotted for CME
The nurse and medical assistant I worked with were excellent and that made a world of difference.
They paid a yearly bonus for meeting 2 goals developed with your supervising physician at the beginning of the year. Goals were reasonable to meet.
Overall I found it to be an excellent place to work as a nurse practitioner.
Pros
Benefits, salary, and respect for nurse practitioners in the organization from the top down
Cons
Required more than 40 hours to really do the job properly
Company with good ideals who truly cares about their patients
Systems Architect (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTNovember 1, 2018
Great work ideals. They are still working on the execution but it is improving. They are working hard on the implementations of LEAN business principles. Teams members work very well together.
Management uneducated
Manager (Former Employee) –  HhcOctober 29, 2018
My manager was inappropriate and unprofessional. When it was brought to her attention she started to make working there a miserable place. So I ended up moving on.
n/a
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 25, 2018
Enjoyed working at Hartford Healthcare very much. I was an employee for 3 years. I enjoyed the staff that I worked with very very much. Great place for advancement.
HHC Review
Director of Applications (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTOctober 22, 2018
Great Place to work. Strong mission and goals. Locations throughout connecticut and many opportunities for advancement and growth. Great interaction with studens.
Disgusting/unprofessional and totally inappropriate
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTOctober 13, 2018
The Nurses are cut throat and unprofessional. There are far too many nurses talking poorly about other staff and patients. The gossip is ridiculous and no one is spared. It is through my own observation and what has been brought to my attention by numerous others that a number of nurses and some Nurse Techs engage in inappropriate discussions at THOCC N5. They are constantly gossiping about each other and or the Nurse Techs. I have personally witnessed this and am disgusted by it. It really saddens me that this is happening because I heard great things about THOCC but I now think otherwise. I am disgusted and the level of professionalism is certainly lacking at this hospital.
Pros
Work hours are flexible
Cons
Disgusting behavior from co-workers
Disgusting
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTOctober 13, 2018
Pros
Work hours are flexible
Cons
Disgusting behavior from co-workers
Pretty Good Jumping Off Point
Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTOctober 11, 2018
Enjoy the people I work with, take pride in the support provided to users. May be recognized by management, but not monetarily or advancement. Great place to work if you have a wide range of capabilities or want to learn a lot, if you express the willingness to learn, just about anyone is willing to teach you. The culture is great at most levels, some other levels/departments are resistant to change or use it only when it suits their needs. Benefits are actually amazing. Regularly finding challenging work that is "approved" can be a difficult task at times, other times it can be very fast paced and complex. Hardest part of the job is sometimes it can be thankless and can end up working over 40 hours in a week quite easily if you let yourself. The most enjoyable part of the job is solving large problems, the challenging work assigned can really make you critically/analytically think about the solution, most people are open to teaching/mentoring and most people you encounter are kind and caring and do follow the mission and culture of the organization as a whole. If applicable, you are usually able to work remote one day a week.
Pros
Benefits, Remote Work, Teaching/Mentoring Abound
Cons
Micromanagement does happen, you can be doing well/advancing one year then feel absolutely stuck
Avoid the System Support Office and HHC all together Unless you are a doctor or nurse
Professional Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTSeptember 30, 2018
Processed endless claims, monotonous repetitive Boring work. Learned how to process Medicaid & Medicare claims. You pretty much manipulated the claims to get paid. It seemed unethical in a way like HHC was changing the bills in order to receive payments. But that is what they trained us to do.

Management is rarely available and they could not care less to go out of their way to assist or help you. The open door policy they claim to have is entirely absent because management is rarely available. They are either in meetings or not in the office off on PTO or working from home. However the general team members don't have the option to work from home. They want you to put together a business model on how and why you should be able to work from home, complete waste of time energy and effort. They wonder why they are so far behind on billing because they create unnecessary work projects that can easily be approved.

Upper management is a joke, and management blames them all to often for delays or when they themselves drop the ball on work they are supposed to to or answers they are supposed to seek themselves.

Work place culture and the moral is pitiful. It is a group of 86 people and the air and environment is toxic. Employees are stressed out and miserable. Your work is never appreciated and when you complete something or do well they what to know how much more you can do.

Hardest part of the job is lack of communication between departments and the left not knowing what the right is doing. And the lack of proper training the system they use, Epic is
  more... awful. Also never feeling accomplished because claims drop daily weekly and monthly so you might have 15,000 claims in your queue and in a day you process 100-200 the next day you come in to work there are 15,500 meaning 700 more claims just dropped into your queue. So you feel so unaccomplished and defeated at the end of each day.

Most enjoyable part of the job ummmm nothing really comes to mind. You can set your own hours between 6AM-6PM as long as you put in an 8.5 hour day.

The building in Farmington, CT also has a laundry list of issues: problems with the HVAC system so no heat in the winter and not a/c in the summer on multiple occasions. There is a mice problem in the building and also leaks when it rains.

Overall a really disheartening experience. I say avoid it all together.
Pros
work an 8.5 hour day between the hours of 6AM-6PM
Cons
Compensation, Benefits, and Poor Management
Decent Place to work
Residential Instructor (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutSeptember 14, 2018
It is a decent place to work. I enjoy being able to pick up hours at this job. They have a friendly environment. I would recommend this place to anyone.
i want to work in a hospital
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTSeptember 3, 2018
The hiring process was very smooth, my work days are enjoyable with no issues. I enjoy my clients. I would like to see myself in a hospital setting. More fast paced.
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 28, 2018
When interviewing make sure you ask about the details of your position. Sometimes job postings do not match the position.

Interviewing and hiring process do take a long time, so you need to be patient.
Pros
Nice atmosphere
Cons
non
Great team of coworkers, but unlivable wages
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTAugust 4, 2018
Backus Hospital ER has an extremely close knit group of employees, amongst the techs, nurses, and providers, most are respectful and enjoyable to work with. Management is constantly changing, as is their expectations of employees. Employee turnover is extremely high. Management knows how to retain employees, but will not consider it (wages). Backus is one of the best performing hospitals in the Hartford Healthcare system and is the lowest paid. They believe they are competitive with several other local hospitals, who all pay more to start, then Backus does after several raises. Come here for the people, not the pay or management; that’ll never change. It was a different hospital and culture before Hartford HealthCare took over.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Extremely Low Pay, High Expectations, Little Recognition or Appreciation
Look elsewhere
Technician (Former Employee) –  Backus HospitalJuly 23, 2018
Look elsewhere. High turnover. Management is desperate. Many skilled, longtime employees leaving because of the toxic culture. Burnout is prevalent in every department. Yet management still smiles to your face and then stab you in your back if you so much as whisper a complaint.
Pros
Few
Cons
Many
Always busy, no time to be board
Application Analyst Epic Project Team (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 22, 2018
Workload is continuously changing to keep up with the Healthcare industry requirements. I work with a great team of people which helps manage the workload.
Beware of False Promises
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Rushford Meriden, CTJuly 6, 2018
Want to be overworked and underpaid? If you want to get ahead, look down and kiss you know what at every turn. Constant re-org going on. Firing veteran employees for recent college grads and any other unsuspecting professionals.
Pros
ClIents appreciate you
Cons
No room for advancement, low salary, no OT and grueling work schedule
Work like a dog for little pay! Management constantly adding more to your plate, but not allowing for overtime to get it all done.
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Former Employee) –  Central ConnecticutJune 22, 2018
Poor doctors can't treat patients like they use to or like they need to. Given 10-15 minutes to see a patient. Rush rush environment. Patients feel like numbers. Many expressing their dissatisfaction during visits. It's all about numbers and money! Very sad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hartford HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight