Hartford HealthCare Employee Reviews

i want to work in a hospital
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTSeptember 3, 2018
The hiring process was very smooth, my work days are enjoyable with no issues. I enjoy my clients. I would like to see myself in a hospital setting. More fast paced.
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 28, 2018
When interviewing make sure you ask about the details of your position. Sometimes job postings do not match the position.

Interviewing and hiring process do take a long time, so you need to be patient.
Pros
Nice atmosphere
Cons
non
Great team of coworkers, but unlivable wages
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTAugust 4, 2018
Backus Hospital ER has an extremely close knit group of employees, amongst the techs, nurses, and providers, most are respectful and enjoyable to work with. Management is constantly changing, as is their expectations of employees. Employee turnover is extremely high. Management knows how to retain employees, but will not consider it (wages). Backus is one of the best performing hospitals in the Hartford Healthcare system and is the lowest paid. They believe they are competitive with several other local hospitals, who all pay more to start, then Backus does after several raises. Come here for the people, not the pay or management; that’ll never change. It was a different hospital and culture before Hartford HealthCare took over.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Extremely Low Pay, High Expectations, Little Recognition or Appreciation
Look elsewhere
Technician (Former Employee) –  Backus HospitalJuly 23, 2018
Look elsewhere. High turnover. Management is desperate. Many skilled, longtime employees leaving because of the toxic culture. Burnout is prevalent in every department. Yet management still smiles to your face and then stab you in your back if you so much as whisper a complaint.
Pros
Few
Cons
Many
Always busy, no time to be board
Application Analyst Epic Project Team (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 22, 2018
Workload is continuously changing to keep up with the Healthcare industry requirements. I work with a great team of people which helps manage the workload.
Beware of False Promises
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Rushford Meriden, CTJuly 6, 2018
Want to be overworked and underpaid? If you want to get ahead, look down and kiss you know what at every turn. Constant re-org going on. Firing veteran employees for recent college grads and any other unsuspecting professionals.
Pros
ClIents appreciate you
Cons
No room for advancement, low salary, no OT and grueling work schedule
Work like a dog for little pay! Management constantly adding more to your plate, but not allowing for overtime to get it all done.
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Former Employee) –  Central ConnecticutJune 22, 2018
Poor doctors can't treat patients like they use to or like they need to. Given 10-15 minutes to see a patient. Rush rush environment. Patients feel like numbers. Many expressing their dissatisfaction during visits. It's all about numbers and money! Very sad.
Not good to work for
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJune 6, 2018
Would not recommend any MA to work for this corporation. Managers give wrong information about the position. Medical Assistants are expected to do a lot of administrative task while still expected to assist provider, all at the same time. Direct patient care is lacked, for the overload of administrive work. MA's are constantly being pulled to work at different locations. Can not rely on management for support-since they are hardly visible in the office. The company is not able to retain MA's- They emphasize customer services, the core values-yet they lack respect to their employees.
management needs improvement
Account Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newington, CTMay 19, 2018
Every day is pretty much the same as far as work and workload. Hardest part of this particular department is immediate supervisor who lacks management skills and makes for a not so good work environment. Most enjoyable are most co-workers who are quite friendly.
Hardest part of job
Medical Staff Credentialing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wethersfield, CTMay 7, 2018
Work was assigned daily and then constantly micro managed from start to finish. Never received positive feedback from management and as a team collectively extremely low morale.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Micro management of assigned tasks

Want to know more about Hartford HealthCare?

Ask a question
Great place to work.
Cardiovascular Perfusionist (Current Employee) –  CTApril 23, 2018
Busy but a very good place to work with very supportive management. As a CCP we are by far the highest paid in New England and one of the top in the country. Our salary is more than competitive and our sign on bonus, retention bonus, hazard pay is second to none.
Cons
Can’t find enough quality CCPs to fill all our positions.
Lean Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 13, 2018
The culture at HHC is one of integrity, caring, and performance excellence. Everyone works very hard to make the patient's experience a good one. I love that focus... it is so "humanistic". My role as a Lean Facilitator is very fulfilling and rewarding. I get to work with a wide variety of groups ranging from neurology to Engineering. In helping them to improve their work processes I feel like I'm helping the entire organization, thus the patient experience. The Lean management team is very supportive, caring, and helpful. But they do not micro-manage. I learn so much from them, and my co-workers every day. HHC is a great place to work, and the role of Lean Facilitator is very exciting!
Pros
Culture, leadership
Cons
hard work, but rewarding
Rewarding place the work
H3W Process Improvement (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 13, 2018
As someone who loves to learn, be challenged, and enjoys watching others succeed with my support Hartford HealthCare is the place for me. The culture has an amazing emphasis on respect for people that all employees uphold. I came from a toxic work environment before coming to HHC and was in absolute shock that managers investigate the process when problems occur. When I fail I know my supervisor will ask me how the process allowed me to fail and encourage me to problem solve to prevent the problem from happening again. My job is hard but I love it. This is not the place for you if you just want to show up and collect a check. The environment allows me the perfect amount of autonomy with regards to meet my yearly goals while providing me with all the tools to succeed.
Pros
Tremendous amount of support in order to succeed, open communication, teamwork
Cons
Work hours can be long, occasional short deadlines
Best Development Opportunity in Lean
H3W Facilitator (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutApril 12, 2018
I worked in the Lean Office for almost 3 years and can honestly say I’ve been developed more in this role than every other role I’ve had in my 20 year career. Not at all easy but collaborative, innovative, opportunities to strategize with leaders and improve patient care. Big and small wins celebrated and recognized daily. Lean Office has Snr leader support which makes tremendous difference in the change journey. #realleanatHHC
Pros
Good pay and collaborative
Cons
Change agility in healthcare
Worst management for which I've ever worked!
Lean Office, H3W Facilitator, Process Improvement (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutMarch 31, 2018
Don't get me wrong, there are many wonderful, dedicated people that work here, but the Lean Office is run by mean-spirited people that really don't care about anything except how things look - it's all a show. The culture is one where employees are encouraged to talk about their co-workers during "coaching" sessions. No one can be trusted, and the culture is one of fear. It's a horrible feeling when your first one on one with the head of the department has nothing to do with you, and you're being asked if someone else has done or said something wrong. The work is not level-loaded, and capacity is not taken into consideration when goals are set. Favorable assignments are given to current favorites, so many become sycophants in order to survive while trying to get out. Out of all the Lean Office locations, Hartford and Newington are reportedly the worst, with the East and Central regions being better, but there are so many lean office meetings that it's impossible to avoid the brutal politics. These endless, humiliating meetings are also not figured into capacity. HR and Executive leadership is aware of the problems, and there is a constant stream of people leaving this team, but they've invested a lot into this program, and an artful storyteller can go a long time before the house of cards collapses in on itself. During the interview process, you will get all the right answers, so pay attention to body language, and who isn't saying much. Ask what location you are interviewing for, ask where your workgroups are located, training and advancement - and make your decision from  more... there. If you can, look for positions in Learning and Development or Project Management - the leadership in these areas is beyond amazing, and it's real!  less
Pros
Pay is decent, but doesn't make up for the culture
Cons
Horrible, fake management in Hartford and some other areas.
Not the company they say they are.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 29, 2018
No one listens to the employees concerns. Your not respected as an employee regardless of how many times they tell you they do.
Bottom line is the only thing HHC Cares about is meeting their goals and bringing in the money NOTHING more.
Not Worth the Pay and Benefits
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coventry, CTMarch 22, 2018
Work for a wonderful physician that isn't allowed to practice medicine the way he needs to because corporate healthcare is run by ratings and money and doesn't seem generally concerned about actual medicine and patient care. Upper management talks a big talk about "caring" for it's employees but does very little to back it up. Very little support shown to employee needs, interests, or advancement. Always demanding higher work load but unwilling to compensate the overtime needed to fulfill work load; employees working off the clock to meet work load demands.
Pros
Pay is decent, excellent benefits
Cons
Poor management and concern for employees
Laughable salary at job offer
Sterile Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 18, 2018
Unlivable wage offered after completing lengthy job interview process. Would not listen to counter offer when presented. Extremely frustrating and humiliating.
Challenging and Rewarding
ITS Networking Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMarch 13, 2018
A Challenging and Team oriented environment. IT Infrastructure Resources that are Productive and Collaborate that work with good overall Engineering Talent
Coworkers really make the place more enjoyable
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTMarch 3, 2018
Pay is good compared to other medical labs in the state. However, we're often very short staffed but yet are expected to get all the work done without errors or leaving anything for the next shift. Amid this, corporate is trying to cut the budget even more. Can be stressful at times, and of course some employees are more equal than others. Doesn't always feel like patient care or safety is the top priority, and supervisors actually encourage staff members to write their coworkers up.
Pros
Health and Retirement Benefits, Coworkers, Teamwork
Cons
Management, Lack of Professionalism, Job Security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hartford HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight