Hartford HealthCare Culture reviews

Great team of coworkers, but unlivable wages
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTAugust 4, 2018
Backus Hospital ER has an extremely close knit group of employees, amongst the techs, nurses, and providers, most are respectful and enjoyable to work with. Management is constantly changing, as is their expectations of employees. Employee turnover is extremely high. Management knows how to retain employees, but will not consider it (wages). Backus is one of the best performing hospitals in the Hartford Healthcare system and is the lowest paid. They believe they are competitive with several other local hospitals, who all pay more to start, then Backus does after several raises. Come here for the people, not the pay or management; that’ll never change. It was a different hospital and culture before Hartford HealthCare took over.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Extremely Low Pay, High Expectations, Little Recognition or Appreciation
Look elsewhere
Technician (Former Employee) –  Backus HospitalJuly 23, 2018
Look elsewhere. High turnover. Management is desperate. Many skilled, longtime employees leaving because of the toxic culture. Burnout is prevalent in every department. Yet management still smiles to your face and then stab you in your back if you so much as whisper a complaint.
Pros
Few
Cons
Many
HHC Review
Director of Applications (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTOctober 22, 2018
Great Place to work. Strong mission and goals. Locations throughout connecticut and many opportunities for advancement and growth. Great interaction with studens.
Lean Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 13, 2018
The culture at HHC is one of integrity, caring, and performance excellence. Everyone works very hard to make the patient's experience a good one. I love that focus... it is so "humanistic". My role as a Lean Facilitator is very fulfilling and rewarding. I get to work with a wide variety of groups ranging from neurology to Engineering. In helping them to improve their work processes I feel like I'm helping the entire organization, thus the patient experience. The Lean management team is very supportive, caring, and helpful. But they do not micro-manage. I learn so much from them, and my co-workers every day. HHC is a great place to work, and the role of Lean Facilitator is very exciting!
Pros
Culture, leadership
Cons
hard work, but rewarding
Decent Place to work
Residential Instructor (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutSeptember 14, 2018
It is a decent place to work. I enjoy being able to pick up hours at this job. They have a friendly environment. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Always busy, no time to be board
Application Analyst Epic Project Team (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 22, 2018
Workload is continuously changing to keep up with the Healthcare industry requirements. I work with a great team of people which helps manage the workload.
management needs improvement
Account Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newington, CTMay 19, 2018
Every day is pretty much the same as far as work and workload. Hardest part of this particular department is immediate supervisor who lacks management skills and makes for a not so good work environment. Most enjoyable are most co-workers who are quite friendly.
Great place to work.
Cardiovascular Perfusionist (Current Employee) –  CTApril 23, 2018
Busy but a very good place to work with very supportive management. As a CCP we are by far the highest paid in New England and one of the top in the country. Our salary is more than competitive and our sign on bonus, retention bonus, hazard pay is second to none.
Cons
Can’t find enough quality CCPs to fill all our positions.
Rewarding place the work
H3W Process Improvement (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 13, 2018
As someone who loves to learn, be challenged, and enjoys watching others succeed with my support Hartford HealthCare is the place for me. The culture has an amazing emphasis on respect for people that all employees uphold. I came from a toxic work environment before coming to HHC and was in absolute shock that managers investigate the process when problems occur. When I fail I know my supervisor will ask me how the process allowed me to fail and encourage me to problem solve to prevent the problem from happening again. My job is hard but I love it. This is not the place for you if you just want to show up and collect a check. The environment allows me the perfect amount of autonomy with regards to meet my yearly goals while providing me with all the tools to succeed.
Pros
Tremendous amount of support in order to succeed, open communication, teamwork
Cons
Work hours can be long, occasional short deadlines
Productive place to work
Medical Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTFebruary 20, 2018
As a front desk receptionist I learned to multitask, how to interact with people first hand. There were different kinds of ethnicity. Hardest part of the job was when I wasn't able to help a patient far as insurance purposes or sensitive situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people accommodating them to their needs and keeping them happy.
Pros
Being recognized for the good work.
Cons
Fast-paced and friendly work environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Newington, CTJanuary 8, 2018
My time at Cedar Mountain Commons under the Hartford Healthcare corporate umbrella was enjoyable overall, I think it was a great first job. As a server, I operated in a fast-paced environment with my co-workers. The job could be occasionally stressful, but I felt that I could always rely on my co-workers to help me out. Our workplace culture emphasized teamwork, and I believe that was a main reason why the work never became overwhelming. Management was always friendly and helpful.
Pretty Good Jumping Off Point
Application Analyst (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTOctober 11, 2018
Enjoy the people I work with, take pride in the support provided to users. May be recognized by management, but not monetarily or advancement. Great place to work if you have a wide range of capabilities or want to learn a lot, if you express the willingness to learn, just about anyone is willing to teach you. The culture is great at most levels, some other levels/departments are resistant to change or use it only when it suits their needs. Benefits are actually amazing. Regularly finding challenging work that is "approved" can be a difficult task at times, other times it can be very fast paced and complex. Hardest part of the job is sometimes it can be thankless and can end up working over 40 hours in a week quite easily if you let yourself. The most enjoyable part of the job is solving large problems, the challenging work assigned can really make you critically/analytically think about the solution, most people are open to teaching/mentoring and most people you encounter are kind and caring and do follow the mission and culture of the organization as a whole. If applicable, you are usually able to work remote one day a week.
Pros
Benefits, Remote Work, Teaching/Mentoring Abound
Cons
Micromanagement does happen, you can be doing well/advancing one year then feel absolutely stuck
great place to work
Register Nurse (Former Employee) –  Watertown, CTFebruary 17, 2018
Management was great and extremely helpful. Co-workers were very helpful. Typical day was receive your assignment in morning and then go and see patients. Charting was very involved and very in depth.
Pros
mangement
Cons
work after scheduled day
decent place. good people
Sr. Clinical Systems Analyst/Charge Lead (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTFebruary 19, 2018
decent place. good people for the most part. salary comp for area. exp pays. decent place. tight schedules
nice building
commute is tough
good environment
Pros
good people
Cons
hartford traffic
Challenging and Rewarding
ITS Networking Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMarch 13, 2018
A Challenging and Team oriented environment. IT Infrastructure Resources that are Productive and Collaborate that work with good overall Engineering Talent
Nurse Practitioner, Full-time (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 4, 2018
I was a nurse practitioner in an outpatient specialty position east of the river at HHCMG for over 5 years. Initially my salary was less than other providers with similar experience in a the same type of setting however the company did an overhaul of the pay structure to make salaries more uniform and fair for mid-levels and my salary rose to a very competitive level.
For me to do the job properly (timely and comprehensive documentation, communicating results to patients, etc) it took more than 40 hours per week but with EHR I could document from home which was a blessing and a curse - great to do some work at home, difficult to separate work from personal time.
I had my own patient panel and a high level of autonomy, physicians were generally easy to access and helpful when collaboration/support was needed.
Benefits were comprehensive and cost was reasonable. Good amount of PTO and time/money allotted for CME
The nurse and medical assistant I worked with were excellent and that made a world of difference.
They paid a yearly bonus for meeting 2 goals developed with your supervising physician at the beginning of the year. Goals were reasonable to meet.
Overall I found it to be an excellent place to work as a nurse practitioner.
Pros
Benefits, salary, and respect for nurse practitioners in the organization from the top down
Cons
Required more than 40 hours to really do the job properly
Competitive environment
FIELD SERVICES ANALYST II (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 23, 2018
Competitive environment; large merger project provided many opportunities to display my particular skill set. Once the project was complete we where over staffed.
Bad Management and Leadership
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTApril 21, 2017
I worked here only for a month and realized how bad the leadership and management of the company is. They have a culture of some strategies and goals but in reality it is all a sham. The leaders are all pomp and show. Many of them are lazy and micro manage their employees to the hilt and end up taking credit for their work. They are not adaptive of the changing environment and not innovative in their thinking or strategies. Their are no standardized structures in place and what is left is a redundant system of processes where every methodology overlaps and approvals have to be taken at every step. There is a lot of repetition of processes and duplication of reports and information. There is no growth for an independent and innovative thinker in the IT hemisphere.
Pros
Company name
Cons
Micro-management, incompetent leadership, redundant culture
Horrible Company to work for
RN (Former Employee) –  Hartford hospitalOctober 31, 2015
I worked at HHC for 10 years. Over the past few years since HHC TOOK OVER and made our hospital a BUSINESS they destroyed everything I loved about working there. Work culture is volitile. There is NO work/life balance. All they do is put down and write up employees. Completely unsupportive atmosphere. Benifits have been cut and cut and cut. Management is horrible and ONLY speak to lower level employees to write them up. The stress level is through the roof and management doesnt care. Managements attitude is, "if you don't like it leave", so, I left.
Pros
Cons
poor benefits, no work/life balance. Awful management, horrible stress, its just getting worse and worse.
Productive outgoing friendly place
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hartford AlabamaSeptember 5, 2012
The hardest part of the job would have to be getting along with co-workers,there are so many different people with different personalities.My typical day at work consisted of showering my patients,getting them up,changing them,feeding them and getting them ready for bed.As well as charting and meeting any other of their needs.My co-workers were very outgoing and amazing to work with.The part I enjoy most about my day would have to be just being at work,I leaned very long ago that I may be the only person that those patients see,so it warms my heart to take care of them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hartford HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight