Hartford HealthCare Culture reviews

HHC Review
Director of Applications (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTOctober 22, 2018
Great Place to work. Strong mission and goals. Locations throughout connecticut and many opportunities for advancement and growth. Great interaction with studens.
Avoid the System Support Office and HHC all together Unless you are a doctor or nurse
Professional Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTSeptember 30, 2018
Processed endless claims, monotonous repetitive Boring work. Learned how to process Medicaid & Medicare claims. You pretty much manipulated the claims to get paid. It seemed unethical in a way like HHC was changing the bills in order to receive payments. But that is what they trained us to do.

Management is rarely available and they could not care less to go out of their way to assist or help you. The open door policy they claim to have is entirely absent because management is rarely available. They are either in meetings or not in the office off on PTO or working from home. However the general team members don't have the option to work from home. They want you to put together a business model on how and why you should be able to work from home, complete waste of time energy and effort. They wonder why they are so far behind on billing because they create unnecessary work projects that can easily be approved.

Upper management is a joke, and management blames them all to often for delays or when they themselves drop the ball on work they are supposed to to or answers they are supposed to seek themselves.

Work place culture and the moral is pitiful. It is a group of 86 people and the air and environment is toxic. Employees are stressed out and miserable. Your work is never appreciated and when you complete something or do well they what to know how much more you can do.

Hardest part of the job is lack of communication between departments and the left not knowing what the right is doing. And the lack of proper training the system they use, Epic is
  more... awful. Also never feeling accomplished because claims drop daily weekly and monthly so you might have 15,000 claims in your queue and in a day you process 100-200 the next day you come in to work there are 15,500 meaning 700 more claims just dropped into your queue. So you feel so unaccomplished and defeated at the end of each day.

Most enjoyable part of the job ummmm nothing really comes to mind. You can set your own hours between 6AM-6PM as long as you put in an 8.5 hour day.

The building in Farmington, CT also has a laundry list of issues: problems with the HVAC system so no heat in the winter and not a/c in the summer on multiple occasions. There is a mice problem in the building and also leaks when it rains.

Overall a really disheartening experience. I say avoid it all together.
Pros
work an 8.5 hour day between the hours of 6AM-6PM
Cons
Compensation, Benefits, and Poor Management
Decent Place to work
Residential Instructor (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutSeptember 14, 2018
It is a decent place to work. I enjoy being able to pick up hours at this job. They have a friendly environment. I would recommend this place to anyone.
i want to work in a hospital
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTSeptember 3, 2018
The hiring process was very smooth, my work days are enjoyable with no issues. I enjoy my clients. I would like to see myself in a hospital setting. More fast paced.
Great team of coworkers, but unlivable wages
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee) –  Norwich, CTAugust 4, 2018
Backus Hospital ER has an extremely close knit group of employees, amongst the techs, nurses, and providers, most are respectful and enjoyable to work with. Management is constantly changing, as is their expectations of employees. Employee turnover is extremely high. Management knows how to retain employees, but will not consider it (wages). Backus is one of the best performing hospitals in the Hartford Healthcare system and is the lowest paid. They believe they are competitive with several other local hospitals, who all pay more to start, then Backus does after several raises. Come here for the people, not the pay or management; that’ll never change. It was a different hospital and culture before Hartford HealthCare took over.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Extremely Low Pay, High Expectations, Little Recognition or Appreciation
Look elsewhere
Technician (Former Employee) –  Backus HospitalJuly 23, 2018
Look elsewhere. High turnover. Management is desperate. Many skilled, longtime employees leaving because of the toxic culture. Burnout is prevalent in every department. Yet management still smiles to your face and then stab you in your back if you so much as whisper a complaint.
Pros
Few
Cons
Many
Always busy, no time to be board
Application Analyst Epic Project Team (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 22, 2018
Workload is continuously changing to keep up with the Healthcare industry requirements. I work with a great team of people which helps manage the workload.
management needs improvement
Account Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newington, CTMay 19, 2018
Every day is pretty much the same as far as work and workload. Hardest part of this particular department is immediate supervisor who lacks management skills and makes for a not so good work environment. Most enjoyable are most co-workers who are quite friendly.
Great place to work.
Cardiovascular Perfusionist (Current Employee) –  CTApril 23, 2018
Busy but a very good place to work with very supportive management. As a CCP we are by far the highest paid in New England and one of the top in the country. Our salary is more than competitive and our sign on bonus, retention bonus, hazard pay is second to none.
Cons
Can’t find enough quality CCPs to fill all our positions.
Lean Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 13, 2018
The culture at HHC is one of integrity, caring, and performance excellence. Everyone works very hard to make the patient's experience a good one. I love that focus... it is so "humanistic". My role as a Lean Facilitator is very fulfilling and rewarding. I get to work with a wide variety of groups ranging from neurology to Engineering. In helping them to improve their work processes I feel like I'm helping the entire organization, thus the patient experience. The Lean management team is very supportive, caring, and helpful. But they do not micro-manage. I learn so much from them, and my co-workers every day. HHC is a great place to work, and the role of Lean Facilitator is very exciting!
Pros
Culture, leadership
Cons
hard work, but rewarding
Rewarding place the work
H3W Process Improvement (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 13, 2018
As someone who loves to learn, be challenged, and enjoys watching others succeed with my support Hartford HealthCare is the place for me. The culture has an amazing emphasis on respect for people that all employees uphold. I came from a toxic work environment before coming to HHC and was in absolute shock that managers investigate the process when problems occur. When I fail I know my supervisor will ask me how the process allowed me to fail and encourage me to problem solve to prevent the problem from happening again. My job is hard but I love it. This is not the place for you if you just want to show up and collect a check. The environment allows me the perfect amount of autonomy with regards to meet my yearly goals while providing me with all the tools to succeed.
Pros
Tremendous amount of support in order to succeed, open communication, teamwork
Cons
Work hours can be long, occasional short deadlines
Worst management for which I've ever worked!
Lean Office, H3W Facilitator, Process Improvement (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutMarch 31, 2018
Don't get me wrong, there are many wonderful, dedicated people that work here, but the Lean Office is run by mean-spirited people that really don't care about anything except how things look - it's all a show. The culture is one where employees are encouraged to talk about their co-workers during "coaching" sessions. No one can be trusted, and the culture is one of fear. It's a horrible feeling when your first one on one with the head of the department has nothing to do with you, and you're being asked if someone else has done or said something wrong. The work is not level-loaded, and capacity is not taken into consideration when goals are set. Favorable assignments are given to current favorites, so many become sycophants in order to survive while trying to get out. Out of all the Lean Office locations, Hartford and Newington are reportedly the worst, with the East and Central regions being better, but there are so many lean office meetings that it's impossible to avoid the brutal politics. These endless, humiliating meetings are also not figured into capacity. HR and Executive leadership is aware of the problems, and there is a constant stream of people leaving this team, but they've invested a lot into this program, and an artful storyteller can go a long time before the house of cards collapses in on itself. During the interview process, you will get all the right answers, so pay attention to body language, and who isn't saying much. Ask what location you are interviewing for, ask where your workgroups are located, training and advancement - and make your decision from  more... there. If you can, look for positions in Learning and Development or Project Management - the leadership in these areas is beyond amazing, and it's real!  less
Pros
Pay is decent, but doesn't make up for the culture
Cons
Horrible, fake management in Hartford and some other areas.
Challenging and Rewarding
ITS Networking Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMarch 13, 2018
A Challenging and Team oriented environment. IT Infrastructure Resources that are Productive and Collaborate that work with good overall Engineering Talent
Productive place to work
Medical Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTFebruary 20, 2018
As a front desk receptionist I learned to multitask, how to interact with people first hand. There were different kinds of ethnicity. Hardest part of the job was when I wasn't able to help a patient far as insurance purposes or sensitive situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people accommodating them to their needs and keeping them happy.
Pros
Being recognized for the good work.
great place to work
Register Nurse (Former Employee) –  Watertown, CTFebruary 17, 2018
Management was great and extremely helpful. Co-workers were very helpful. Typical day was receive your assignment in morning and then go and see patients. Charting was very involved and very in depth.
Pros
mangement
Cons
work after scheduled day
Competitive environment
FIELD SERVICES ANALYST II (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 23, 2018
Competitive environment; large merger project provided many opportunities to display my particular skill set. Once the project was complete we where over staffed.
Fast-paced and friendly work environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Newington, CTJanuary 8, 2018
My time at Cedar Mountain Commons under the Hartford Healthcare corporate umbrella was enjoyable overall, I think it was a great first job. As a server, I operated in a fast-paced environment with my co-workers. The job could be occasionally stressful, but I felt that I could always rely on my co-workers to help me out. Our workplace culture emphasized teamwork, and I believe that was a main reason why the work never became overwhelming. Management was always friendly and helpful.
Na
Medical Staff (Former Employee) –  CTAugust 24, 2017
Flexible schedule, employees fun to work with, safe environment, competitive pay, good health benefits, holiday pay, paid time off, sick time, patients were nice
relaxed place to work
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southington, CTJune 25, 2017
it was a well maintain job they kept their workers in a great mood I would recommend they cared for patients and staff. but I had to move up the chain.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Bad Management and Leadership
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTApril 21, 2017
I worked here only for a month and realized how bad the leadership and management of the company is. They have a culture of some strategies and goals but in reality it is all a sham. The leaders are all pomp and show. Many of them are lazy and micro manage their employees to the hilt and end up taking credit for their work. They are not adaptive of the changing environment and not innovative in their thinking or strategies. Their are no standardized structures in place and what is left is a redundant system of processes where every methodology overlaps and approvals have to be taken at every step. There is a lot of repetition of processes and duplication of reports and information. There is no growth for an independent and innovative thinker in the IT hemisphere.
Pros
Company name
Cons
Micro-management, incompetent leadership, redundant culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hartford HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight