Harvard University
Happiness rating is 74 out of 100

Harvard University Employee Reviews

United States874 reviews

Great benefits & compensation but too political

What you would expect from an elite, Fabian Socialist promoting Ivy League Institution. They support virtually everything save a differing political opinion / belief system. More concerned with "What" one thinks rather than "How Well" one thinks.

An esteemed and exciting role

My years here were some of the most memorable in my career. The lectures, staff and students I encountered will be the most revered and memorable of my time there.

Pros

The knowledgeable and legendary Alumni

Harvard University insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Great place to work for

Fun place to work but no room for growth. I feel like this company only cared about sales goals, which can make for a stressful and unfulfilling job, but Ii enjoyed my coworker

Pros

great coworkers

Cons

no growth

Great benefits and time off. Management is clique and out of touch.

Great benefits and vacation time! That is about it. The prominent name wears off after a few months. Managers often take credit for employee's work and knowledge. Weak managers let some staff do as they please, yet demand too much of other staff members. The workplace culture is cold. Most coworkers cannot be trusted. Upper management is out to make themselves look good and only pretend to appreciate staff members if called out. Overall, a general sense of unease, unhappiness and frustration. Only those in the inner circles have any opportunity to advance.

Pros

Great time off.

Cons

Unfair and weak managers that rely too much on staff's knowledge. Little job advancement.

Depends on department

Can be a great place to work depending on the department. I worked under a PI that was challenging to collaborate with - and felt over worked and under paid. Suggest getting to know your research team before committing to a long term project

Must fall in line or you'll be pushed out

There is an unspoken culture that rewards people for doing what they're told, despite any related ethical dilemmas, and punishing anyone who dares think for themselves. If you are looking for money and don't care about the personal cost, go for it.

benefits

Cons

post traumatic stress

Flexible schedule

Excellent colleagues, horrible pay, but this is the fault of the corporation not the professors. This university has a 30 billion dollar endowment and pays its researchers nothing, caping hours at 14 hours per week while employees work much more than that. Having a good Brand name shouldn’t give you the right to exploit your workers.

Pros

Flexibility, brilliant colleagues, cool research problems (in ai)

Cons

Terrible pay, little support overall

A good place to work

The job comes with good benefits and average pay. Work life balance is excellent. Growth is slow, but steady. Motivation varies from week to week, but overall a happy place.

Challenging and Learning Experience

Working at Harvard University has been a great learning experience. Interaction and Helping the harvard community at any time. Understanding callers needs and emergencies to properly provide excellent service.

Great place to work for graduate students

Working at Harvard is a great place to work for graduate students. The faculty and staff are readily available and have set up a strong support system.

Solid, secure employer with excellent benefits and colleagues.

Harvard University is a terrific place to work with numerous benefits and perks. The opportunity for internal growth is strong. The Center for Workplace Education provides terrific opportunities to sustain and sharpen your skills.

Awful work environment, but great benefits. If you're set on your path, then go for it, but don't just do it for the money/name

Only put up with the Harvard people if you're 100% sure about your path forward and know for a fact that your role will help get you there, because for whatever reason the name still carries weight even when it's simply working at one of their institutions and not going there undergrad (which I don't get). Great benefits though. But yeah, it's really rough and dark, but if it gets you what you need then go for it. Just wear a thick skin and be prepared for anything.

The people that work there are very friendly and helpful.

While some of people that I worked with were politically liberal others were more conservative than I had anticipated. The people that I worked with were quick to impart there knowledge, I learned more about the scientific aspect of the project than any other place were I had worked. The same people were very interested in engineering and they would ask me about it.

Pros

Free pizza’s on Friday afternoons!

Cons

No place to park your car, but public transportation “trains & buses” are available.

The good and the bad. What stands out about working at this company?

找到一个教职,还没有开始(七月底报道)。当初太offer的时候,系主任是同意帮助工签和绿卡的。系主任自己不太懂,具体事情交给人事部一个主管办理。offer上只写了帮助办工签,没提到绿卡。当工签下来以后,我想趁现在没有开学,正好可以准备一下绿卡申请材料(我想走EB1B)。我于是email了系主任,系主任说好呀,你具体和人事部主管商量吧,我不太懂这方面的。我联系了人事部主管,主要问下是否可以用自己律师(之前办H1B的学校的律师实在太菜,多数经验都是办西班牙裔的,没怎么办过中国大陆的,而且很慢,很多材料都要我主动提醒,所以想用自己律师)。结果人事部主管第一封信,回信就说,学校没这个规矩用自己律师,用学校律师,学校付钱,你不用担心。然后给我解释一大堆东西,什么劳工认证必须通过学校律师,感觉他根本没有经手过EB1B。 我又发了一封信,解释一下,说我是EB1B类也不用劳工认证。我说用学校律师也可以,那你叫律师先评估一下我属于哪个类别的?

Great work life balance

My team is all remote but our group has great work life balance. That is one thing about working at higher ed. The downside is hard to implement changes or it will take a while for it to be implemented. Some processes are stuck in their ways and if it ain't broke it won't be reworked to be better. Compensation is good for higher end compared to other universities around the area.

Harvard University is a very siloed environment

Each school at Harvard University is different so this only applies for Harvard Medical School due to the organization being so siloed. I’ve found that Harvard Medical School pays well for the field of higher education but low for the minimum requirements they ask for in their job postings. There is also little opportunity for advancement given that higher positions are all medical doctors, and staff are not.

Pros

Good pay for industry and good benefits

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement

I always had a brain. Harvard didn't give it to me.

The coursework was great. The staff not so great. Too ordinary. Not as interesting as they think they are. People were disappointing. A reflection of the world.

difficult and overly burdensome

I worked as a research assistant at Harvard while a master's student. I would recommend the work to someone who needs an income, especially if you're applying to PhD programs, but you should ask around widely before you commit to working for a certain professor.

Great team

Highly collaborative team environment. Faculty treat staff with respect; although there is a high degree of hierarchy. Compensation is below market in academia vs corporate roles, but balance that with alignment to the purpose, and it makes for a great place to work.

Excellent

Good place, good team, & everything excellent, sous chef is very friendly & nice, always helpful & nice to everyone, understands everything. Good friendly environment

Great benefits.

Once you're in you can move around throughout the different schools a little easier. Union fights for worker rights. Competitive benefits and retirement options.

Common questions about Harvard University

Answered by current and former employees at Harvard University

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harvard University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Harvard University.
Powered byComparably

Compare Harvard University with

Harvard University reviews by popular job title

• Harvard University
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?