Harvard University Employee Reviews

Productive environment
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 8, 2018
Productive environment with good colleagues and a ping pong table. Good happy hour interactions, and a bunch of smart people walking around ready to discuss science.
The world's best university.
Senior Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 7, 2018
The 6.5 years I spent working for Harvard University were some of my busiest. It was not unusual to find me working late into the night. Of course there was a lot riding on the quality of our work. Things needed to be clearly and carefully designed and implemented.

Most of my work was modifying programs and analyzing how to make things work better or faster. I remember doing a lot of work in SQL and it was a great opportunity to expand my skills in that area.

I worked there during a campaign, which, at Harvard, means a major fundraising event for the endowment. Within about a seven-year period, the endowment grew from $7 billion to $32 billion and it remains the world's largest university endowment to this day. It is easy to imagine how much pressure an effort that size can create.

When I left, I left with a vastly improved set of IT skills and a wonderful group of friends I still stay in contact with through social media.
Pros
Attending Harvard University Graduate Classes, Benefits
Cons
I found the pay, in terms of dollars to be on the low side, but that was a long time ago. Now, it might be better.
Productive workplace
Staff Assistant ll- Facilities and Administration (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MANovember 6, 2018
Excellent job environment.Excellent training available. Very professional management and staff. Willing to help with schedule changes if needed. Pretty good pay rate.
Pros
Opportuities for advacement
productive activities
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 30, 2018
Created time sheets using Microsoft Excel and entered employee data. Filed time sheets and operated copy machines to scan documents. productive activities were done while at work.
Productive environment and intensive exposure to diverse scientific fields
Postdoctoral Fellow, BCMP (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 30, 2018
We had a flexible morning start time. Our lab was good in keeping weekly meetings short i.e. no more than an hour. This way we didn't loose valuable time to repeat each ones experiences in long discussions. We were relatively free to plan our own research methods and direct the course of our own research projects. Time planning was extremely flexible. Occasionally individuals could have slightly overlapping projects that could made matters bad if there were difficult characters involved.
Pros
time flexibility, diversity
Cons
low compensation and no pension
Postdoctoral fellow
Instructor in medicien (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 28, 2018
It's a great place to work as a postdoctoral fellow. Publications are worth hard work. Although very less salary and not much benefit make is think twice.
Pros
collaboration
Cons
Not much benefit, low salary
Harvard Campus Services ID Office Bully Culture-Veritas
Harvard Campus Service Center (Former Employee) –  CambOctober 27, 2018
Veritas
A typical day at work is getting questioned by a "permit Patty" woman while you're taking notes on your first day at work.
Also Campus Services pretend they are working, but are surfing the internet all day and they are overstaffed, but seem not to be able to get the work done as they only want to to the minimal.

There is a bully culture rampant and accepted in the parking department and it's like 1950's Mad Men culture there and I stand by it. An employee made fun of someone who died on the job at Harvard which surely isn't Harvard standards. If you're going to be honest about bullying at Harvard, you should address the culture at the Harvard Campus Service Department. Union protects horrible employees and I guess they tolerate this work behavior at Harvard University nowadays. Very unprofessional. I shouldn't have to have to write an online review to address these issues, but I shouldn't be obligated to deal with this culture; is this acceptable to Harvard?

The clerical union people at Harvard never do their jobs and are hardly in their offices in the Harvard Campus Center, Housing, but that's accepted it seems from the toxic culture. I can go on about other examples, but this gives you the idea.

Employees won't do some job while customers wait for ID's as they only do Parking and Housing so customers wait while they talk.

The management is hands off an non-existent and there is rampant turnover in the department.

Qualified candidates are overlooked by arbitrary measures of employment criteria.

Harvard shouldn't accept such low standards
  more... in their Harvard Campus Services.  less
Totally depends where at Harvard you're working
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  BostonOctober 25, 2018
I worked in a lab with a great supervisor in a well-run department and had a fantastic experience. Experiences differ widely and depend on the person running the lab.
Day to day duties
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 25, 2018
A typical day was work 7 hours processing donations that were submitted by alumni before tax season was over since all donations were tax deductible. Very busy department tax season
review
Data Analytics Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 25, 2018
a lot of freedom to do my work and with good resources. Research has given me the opportunity to exercise and strengthen the skills I have learned throughout the 2 years of studying. Teaching students helps me learn as well and provide managerial type experience.
provides work security and benefit
library (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 19, 2018
Not great for moving up or getting increase in salary outside of the standard yearly raise despite increasing workload and responsibilities. The benefits and pay are enough to keep people around.
Supportive/ wonderful culture
Asst. Dir. of Student Planning/Alumni Relations (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 18, 2018
The community and culture is wonderful. The divisional management works in the best interest of their employees. The management was always encouraging employees to strengthen skill set and provided endless options for career advancements.
Productive & collaborative workplace
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 11, 2018
Although the job is demanding, management is very helpful with guidance, training and proper oversight. It is not the highest pay for the work done but the benefits more than make up for this discrepancy.
Good place to develop your career overall
Finance Manager of Professional Education (PPE) (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 7, 2018
The quality of career development at Harvard is very much dependent on which unit and school you work for. There are opportunities for internal mobility across schools. Pay is generally higher than other universities.
Technical Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 2, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Harvard Business Publishing. My supervisor always kept an open line of communication that I really appreciated. I would definitely recommend working here for anyone with the opportunity!
Great environment
Zhang Lab Post-Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 28, 2018
Great place for research, lots of seminars and talks. Everyone is very competitive. Boss is usually very pushing. Payment is not very good, but the advantage is you can learn the advanced techniques and Harvard culture.
Productive and fun workplace, stimulating science, great minds
Postdoctoral Fellow, Melton Lab (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 26, 2018
A typical day of work at Harvard University started for me at 9 am, sometimes earlier, it involved 10h days at work during weekdays and a significant number of hours in the weekend, due to the nature of the work at hand. I loved the motivation of entering the Lab in the mornings, the first moments of designing and managing my tasks for the day, brief or more thorough interactions with my colleagues and employer, the team spirit within the lab, the buzz of activity while progressing through my daily schedule, planning ahead, thinking outside of the box, perceiving that I am in a research environment of excellent caliber within which I am driven to grow further as a scientist and person. I was very appreciative of the open workplace culture and the affluence of resources, the access to state-of-the-art facilities, I enjoyed opportunities for further professional development offered by Harvard University and the Lab, meeting and discussing with peers, collaborators, industrial sponsors, enlightened and well-respected scientists from diverse academic backgrounds, social events organized by our and neighboring Labs. The hardest part of the job was having to prioritize mainly on the execution of the set work objectives, among additional ideas / prospective advancements and work derivatives that were of interest to me and the group besides the projects I eloquently developed. The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenge and satisfaction of causing experiments to work optimally and generating exciting research outcomes. I learned how vital it is to utilize and combine existing  more... work platforms, and established expertise while implementing more novel powerful technologies and high-throughput data analysis, working in collaboration with peers and constructively communicating with them to evolve projects into a next level of efficiency/functionality/applicability. I feel grateful for the experiences I had at Harvard University and certainly hope to return there one day.  less
Pros
Generous breakfasts during lab-meetings and meals during group meetings were provided
Cons
Overlapping of the same given work objectives among several lab members, creating internal competition within the group
Good Job
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 25, 2018
Long hours for full time workers, but good working conditions. The managers seem very competent and were willing to train new workers. It also was not a high stress environment,
Laid back atmosphere
Leave of Absence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2018
Great Company, Great People!! Excellent collections, friendly staff, kind coworkers, laid-back atmosphere. a leader in its field and is committed to identifying, developing, and delivering innovative, mission-focused solutions
very friendly place
Parking Attendant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 21, 2018
i love working at harvard great benifet great management and great co workers i love dealing with customers i love that they have alot of overtime we get pay doulbe for christmas holidays