Harvard University Employee Reviews

Ambiente stimolante
Visiting Researcher (Former Employee) –  BostonJanuary 11, 2019
Esperienza ottima.
Mi ha permesso di migliorare il mio inglese di di crescere sotto molti altri aspetti sia professionali che personali.
Nice place
Supervisor of Animal Care (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 8, 2019
The team is very dedicated and cares about the work they do. It is busy and can be very stressful due to staffing shortages and they are hard and fast to the rules offer very little flexibility.
adapt to new project
limited fundings
the people to work with
the atmosphere of science
Higher Ed Institution with great benefits
Staff Assistant, Annual Fund (Law School) (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 2, 2019
Harvard as a whole has great work life balance, benefits, and professional development opportunities. However not every department has room for advancement, though it is fairly easy to move between departments and schools if you network and keep a good reputation.
Worthwhile
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 9, 2018
This job had lots of autonomy, and as long as you delivered data, you were left to your own devices. There were times when I had to hurry up and wait for core equipment to become available, but there would usually be some busywork left over to do. Overall, it wasn't very challenging, but I could have done a lot more with better management and supervision.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, networking and cross-pollination encouraged.
Cons
Management and supervisiors can be very hard to get ahold of.
Wonderful people to work with
Managing Editor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 8, 2018
I work remotely so I have no comment on the atmosphere at the University itself. The people I work with on my computer at home are wonderful. I have complete authority over my work.
Pros
work from home
Cons
no benefits, no job advancement
Academic excellence
Post-doctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 8, 2018
Working for Harvard University is a great experience as you can enjoy the many resources available. There is a strong culture of excellence, balanced with camaraderie.
Excellent place to work that has an amazing job culture and is managed by outstanding people
IT Project Manager on Smith Campus Center Project (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 30, 2018
Excellent working conditions. all the employees are willing to listen and do everything in their power to assist. At least once in a week the office would do a fun activity and order food with the intention to bring everyone closer.
Great Place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookline, MANovember 28, 2018
I would not have left, but I had to relocate, the benefits are great the only thing i was not happy with is the salary. I was doing more than my job description but still the pay was not that great.
Fun work environment
Media Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 20, 2018
Working here the staff was very friendly. They were great at teaching new skills to new workers very patiently, without making anyone feel silly for asking questions.
Stable company with great reputation
PRODUCTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MANovember 13, 2018
Great colleagues and nice work environment. I loved all the training that was available for interested employees. Good benefits. My direct manager wasn't great, but overall a good company to work for.
Productive environment
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 8, 2018
Productive environment with good colleagues and a ping pong table. Good happy hour interactions, and a bunch of smart people walking around ready to discuss science.
The world's best university.
Senior Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 7, 2018
The 6.5 years I spent working for Harvard University were some of my busiest. It was not unusual to find me working late into the night. Of course there was a lot riding on the quality of our work. Things needed to be clearly and carefully designed and implemented.

Most of my work was modifying programs and analyzing how to make things work better or faster. I remember doing a lot of work in SQL and it was a great opportunity to expand my skills in that area.

I worked there during a campaign, which, at Harvard, means a major fundraising event for the endowment. Within about a seven-year period, the endowment grew from $7 billion to $32 billion and it remains the world's largest university endowment to this day. It is easy to imagine how much pressure an effort that size can create.

When I left, I left with a vastly improved set of IT skills and a wonderful group of friends I still stay in contact with through social media.
Pros
Attending Harvard University Graduate Classes, Benefits
Cons
I found the pay, in terms of dollars to be on the low side, but that was a long time ago. Now, it might be better.
Productive workplace
Staff Assistant ll- Facilities and Administration (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MANovember 6, 2018
Excellent job environment.Excellent training available. Very professional management and staff. Willing to help with schedule changes if needed. Pretty good pay rate.
Pros
Opportuities for advacement
productive activities
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 30, 2018
Created time sheets using Microsoft Excel and entered employee data. Filed time sheets and operated copy machines to scan documents. productive activities were done while at work.
Productive environment and intensive exposure to diverse scientific fields
Postdoctoral Fellow, BCMP (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 30, 2018
We had a flexible morning start time. Our lab was good in keeping weekly meetings short i.e. no more than an hour. This way we didn't loose valuable time to repeat each ones experiences in long discussions. We were relatively free to plan our own research methods and direct the course of our own research projects. Time planning was extremely flexible. Occasionally individuals could have slightly overlapping projects that could made matters bad if there were difficult characters involved.
Pros
time flexibility, diversity
Cons
low compensation and no pension
Postdoctoral fellow
Instructor in medicien (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 28, 2018
It's a great place to work as a postdoctoral fellow. Publications are worth hard work. Although very less salary and not much benefit make is think twice.
Pros
collaboration
Cons
Not much benefit, low salary
Harvard Campus Services ID Office Bully Culture-Veritas
Harvard Campus Service Center (Former Employee) –  CambOctober 27, 2018
Veritas
A typical day at work is getting questioned by a "permit Patty" woman while you're taking notes on your first day at work.
Also Campus Services pretend they are working, but are surfing the internet all day and they are overstaffed, but seem not to be able to get the work done as they only want to to the minimal.

There is a bully culture rampant and accepted in the parking department and it's like 1950's Mad Men culture there and I stand by it. An employee made fun of someone who died on the job at Harvard which surely isn't Harvard standards. If you're going to be honest about bullying at Harvard, you should address the culture at the Harvard Campus Service Department. Union protects horrible employees and I guess they tolerate this work behavior at Harvard University nowadays. Very unprofessional. I shouldn't have to have to write an online review to address these issues, but I shouldn't be obligated to deal with this culture; is this acceptable to Harvard?

The clerical union people at Harvard never do their jobs and are hardly in their offices in the Harvard Campus Center, Housing, but that's accepted it seems from the toxic culture. I can go on about other examples, but this gives you the idea.

Employees won't do some job while customers wait for ID's as they only do Parking and Housing so customers wait while they talk.

The management is hands off an non-existent and there is rampant turnover in the department.

Qualified candidates are overlooked by arbitrary measures of employment criteria.

Harvard shouldn't accept such low standards
  more... in their Harvard Campus Services.  less
Totally depends where at Harvard you're working
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  BostonOctober 25, 2018
I worked in a lab with a great supervisor in a well-run department and had a fantastic experience. Experiences differ widely and depend on the person running the lab.
Day to day duties
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 25, 2018
A typical day was work 7 hours processing donations that were submitted by alumni before tax season was over since all donations were tax deductible. Very busy department tax season