Harvard University Employee Reviews

Facilities Management Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 19, 2018
Excellent work place. Team work environment. Great benefits and work schedule. Management is understanding. Great workplace culture. Working and helping students and staff
Name brand employer
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 16, 2018
Nice place to work but tough to advance without "knowing someone". Name brand employer who offered decent educational benefits but pay was low given what was required. You don't work for Harvard for the money. You consult on the side to make up for what you lack in base salary.
Fun place
Part time Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 16, 2018
LOts of patients, The teachers are great and very understanding, I got to observe many patients cases which I couldn't otherwise. The residents were very kind.
Pros
lot to learn
Cons
no salary
Years ago
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 15, 2018
I was an undergrad working in a lab. I can't give a reasonable review that would be meaningful to anyone. It seems like a fine place to work, though, I suppose.
Nice place to work
Supervisor of Transit and Charter Operations (Current Employee) –  Allston, MAFebruary 10, 2018
Harvard is a terrific place to work. The pay is good and the benefits are very generous. Especially the many days off and the almost free educational options.

However the University is very slow to change. Many employees have only ever worked at Harvard and are resistant to new ideas. Much of the university is run by union employees that are at times of mixed effectiveness.
Pros
Strong work life balance
Cons
few advancement oppurtunities
environment is nice, but other human factors
Database programmer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 9, 2018
Harvard provides a great working environment, but really depending on the person you work for. I was forced to leave a very happy job because the person who hired me was forced to leave the project, and the new manager did not want people from previous manager stayed, so I was in a very awkward position for a while.
Great for work life balance
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 5, 2018
Overall working for Harvard is more about the name. Yes, you receive great benefits as a full-time employee. Since it is a university, you receive paid holidays and breaks which is definitely great if you have kids.
Pros
Paid holiday breaks
Cons
Lack of transparency in managerial hierarchy, slow pace to promotion
Good benefits
STAFF ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Allston, MAFebruary 1, 2018
Nice benefits, good pay, you have to pay to park. lots of job postings. cafeteria is ok. commute stinks. you will receive free shirts and office supplies.
Temp at husph
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 27, 2018
Working as HUSPH was a good experience. I had all the support that I needed to do my job ad also I had the opportunity to learn new things. The team was very professional and supportive.
Fantastic people
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 26, 2018
Working at Harvard is never dull. There were always amazing people to work with a great projects to works on. You are also a part of a historic institution that keeps producing great assets to our world.
Pros
Great parties!
Fun place
IT Finance Administration- Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 25, 2018
Work hard and play harder! The work culture here is the best i've ever worked in. Everyone is friendly and willing to help. I learned how to work with large teams, create budgets and proposals and present in front of the CIO.
Exactly what you think
Faculty, Institute for Advanced Theater Training (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 24, 2018
Incredible community of talent and diversity, equally incredible benefits across the board. Teaching at the college requires equal amounts of patience and ambition.
incredible place
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 22, 2018
Obviously it doesn't need to be stated. Incredible place full of faculty and researchers that are at the absolute very top of their field. Always a privilege.
Exceptional place for science
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 21, 2018
I was an intern at the Harvard Stem Cell Institute for 10 weeks in summer 2015. I learnt a great deal from my time at Harvard, both in the lab where I was working and outside, during lectures and networking events. Great minds, inspiring figures.
Millennials Beware
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 21, 2018
If you are looking for fun and exciting, look elsewhere.

Lots of vacation time, but good luck trying to use it!

If you are looking for stability, you will have it at Harvard, but it comes with the price of limited upward mobility. So, play it smart and utilize the plethora of resources, both educational and personal, that Harvard offers while you are here. And then, get out, if you want to add breadth to your resume. If your goal is to move up within the University, plan on being at Harvard for a very long time.

Benefits are great. This is a plus!
Easing out of college
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 19, 2018
Working for Harvard was enjoyable as it allowed me to ease out of college and into the working world without totally abandoning the prospect of future academic enrichment.
Postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 17, 2018
Harvard University is a great academic environment. You will encounter mainly excellent professors, some of whom are truly brilliant, a very supportive environment and a cohort of students who are serious about their studies, intelligent and generally friendly.
Productive and fun place with ping pong table
Visiting Scholar (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 13, 2018
Friendly and young employee
Work is competitive and sometimes stressful
A lot of room for progress and improvement of skills
Live and happy environment and culture
Great experience as an Undergraduate Research Assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 12, 2018
Working as an undergraduate research assistant is one of the most beneficial experiences I have had as an undergrad. Being surrounded by several MDs, PhDs, and other students makes for an enriching work environment.
Everything you think it would be and more!
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 10, 2018
Great work life balance, decent pay for higher education, 35 hour work week, very collaborative and lots of very smart people as you would expect working there.