Harvey Building Products Employee Reviews

Trapped
Driver/sales (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 25, 2019
Upper management does not care about you nor do they listen to their employees who interact with customer base during the day to day operations STAY FAR AWAY
Pros
Hmmm
Cons
A lot of them
Meh
Production Worker/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHMay 20, 2019
On an assembly line it all depends on who you work for and I went from the most chill supervisor in the building to the strictest and the strict one wasnt exactly good at his job the work it self wasnt bad cause you're surrounded by good people all day so that's a plus and benefits were decent in the summer it got extremely hot so drink lots of water
Pros
Good enviroment and decent benefits
Cons
Long hours in the summer and very hot in the warehouse
Strong Transformative Culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Londonderry, NHApril 29, 2019
Harvey Building Products has and is going through a period of transformation and modernization with respect to how it manufactures, partners with internal & external clients, and does business. Senior Leadership keeps employees well informed of changes and progress while providing an opportunity for employees to provide feedback and suggestions to assist in the transformation. With the transformation and growth there are a lot of promotional opportunities for both hourly and salaried employees. Overall, Harvey is a great place to work and I would recommend it as a company to apply to.
Pros
Culture, Compensation, & Senior Leadership
Terrible Place to work
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHApril 28, 2019
fast pace, heavy work, no respect. supervisors are forced to be jerks.

They now use an "out with the old, in with the new" approach to hiring. they have no respect for people who sacrificed a better part of their lives for this company.

they brag about how much money they are making now but its easy to make all that extra money when they are stripping benefits away from their work force.

they can not be trusted and after seeing over half the old work force replaced by kids who have never known a good job, I would NEVER wish this job on anyone.

For what your doing here, you can get paid the same amount for doing much less somewhere else. if your already stuck in this company do everything you can to find another job, you will not have a job here for much longer. just some friendly advice.

used to be alot of things to be happy about with this company, alot of pros but that time has passed.
Pros
Cons
short breaks, unacceptable work conditions, very hot in the summer, unfair pay, bad insurance, mandatory lack of work, mandatory overtime
Great work experience
Lead Person, Glass Cutter & Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAApril 24, 2019
Harvey was a great place too work, they pretty much stuck to 40 hour work weeks, work environment was friendly competitive. Benefits were very good & my experience there was very fulfilling. Would recommend them to anybody who wants a job to take into retirement.
Pros
Very pleasure work culture
Cons
Not much overtime
New Management team lost compared to past
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  MAApril 21, 2019
Ever since the company was sold to group of investment capitalists, the company has gone downhill from employee standpoint. Cut backs of equipment and work force have put major strain on all branch employees. The 'do more with less' philosophy may seem to work well from a cubicle in NY, but does very little on the front lines face to face with customers. They have NO clue to the needs of the contractors on a daily basis.
Pros
No nights or weekends except Saturday mornings, free coffee
Cons
Stressful, corporate has very little idea of day to day needs
Poor Management, and lied to as far as advancing within the company
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon Valley, PAApril 9, 2019
Not enough room to advance even though when I was hired I was promised that if I stayed long enough I would be given opportunities to advance within and grow within the company which which is my main goal with any job I accept. After a year and a half or a little more I realized this wasn't true, I was mislead an decided to leave for better opportunities.
The company is a big joke
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHApril 2, 2019
When it was family owned it was one of the best they remember your name now you are no more than a number if you stand for your rights you gone .they will fire you without notice
Pros
health insurance
Cons
Too many
Older people were replaced with younger people.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHFebruary 28, 2019
The company was bought out. They replaced the people that had been there for 17 and over years. It was not fun and very stressful. Then they took money away from us.
Pros
Cons
Took breaks away from us
work, work work, structured
Shipping Area manager (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHFebruary 27, 2019
company is in the process of restructuring a bit messy right now but should get better. hours are long for management. employees are pushed hard. management is under constant stress. review process is a joke and needs to be revamped. consistent hours for hourly employees
benefits
Cons
only 2 breaks a day
Growing in right direction
Marketing Team Member (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 16, 2019
Exciting culture shift at the company over the last 10 months or so. New senior management is focused on continuous improvement and very supportive of you if you are willing to step up. People are now held accountable for their performance – wasn’t like that before. All good changes in my opinion.
Pros
Great benefits
Over all great place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTFebruary 14, 2019
This a place you can learn a lot about construction building supplies.management use to be on point at my early years but now they lack of management experience and dead end motivation from warehouse supervisor.. Was a big issue on my last years there..they fix that and choose the right people for management and it will be an excellent place to work for..
Pros
Graet pay
Cons
Lack of Management experience
I enjoy the people I work with, a true team environment
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  West Bridgewater, MAJanuary 27, 2019
A typical day is a balance of quotes, orders and forecasting for sales. The day is driven by outside contractors coming in to West Bridgewater to place orders, review quotes or pick up material.
Pays okay, Job security is close to 0%
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHJanuary 15, 2019
Typical routine day was a list of things to move from stock to the line.
I learned many useful skills including the operation of my equipment.
Management above my boss showed no respect for the companies employees whatsoever.
pay is ok, but there's no advancement without a degree.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHJanuary 6, 2019
As a production worker, you'll be expected to keep moving until the 1-minute break bell, and again until break or lunch. you"ll be trained, but depending on how busy they are, it may be inadequate; the training teaches the worker the basics of how to build the product, the details have to be learned along the way.

If you try to advance into a new positon off of the production floor in the office or elsewhere, you'll need management experience or a degree which, you won't get working in production.

Management is spotty, some managers will work alongside the workers when not doing management tasks, others will only watch the production workers to ensure they work while idling until a superior walks by.

The company has fostered a culture of how amazing it is to work for HBP, and how the workers are lucky to work there. the longtime workers parrot this information to new hires regularly, but they aren't part of some grand scheme, they really believe it. if a worker doesn't have the desire to better themselves, it will become a dead end job.

Over the past decade, they have changed almost everything, the worst part seems to be moving to lean 6 sigma, while efficient on paper, the system is too rigid and relies on statistical analysis too heavily. Unfortunately for HBP employees, the last CEO seemed to be taking plays straight out of Carl Lieberts playbook ala circuit city.

Oh, they used to have Christmas parties at the end of the year, give out shirts, hats, vests, and things, but well, that costs too much. they also used to give out turkeys at Thanksgiving. last I
  more... knew, it was a 20 dollar gift certificate.

but hey, they gave you a barbeque in August and pizza in December.
Pros
pizza and burgers
Cons
since the original owners gave up the company, its all about the bottom line.
Used to be agrat company
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Londonderry, NHJanuary 5, 2019
I enjoyed working at Harvey Building Products for the last 7 years when it was family owned. However, after the company was acquired by a private investor, every thing is going down they let go so many good workers and they start playing games with time of like I used to have 3 weeks granted now you have to earn monthly ours for time off people who worked for 15 and 20 years faced a big pay cut they turn workers against each other's given one dollar to this worker taken away 2 dollars from the other so they create avery hostel environment .....at the end so sad this great company is going down I start looking for another job.......right now they start what it used to be called slow session layoff befor you keep your healthcare until you come back and they will dedicated from your pay check.. ... not any more and they tell you will put on Call list may be in a few months when before we used to have a date to come back ......i don't recommend this company even to my enemy to work there
Worst place to work
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Londonderry, NHDecember 10, 2018
I worked there 20 years. Harvey and management are suck you have to give somebody your pants so u can get something high.They promotion people with no experience and people who know can not get a better position because of too many monkeys such as supervisors and lead people
Used to be a good company
Driver/Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Williston, VTDecember 4, 2018
Harvey's used to be a good company.The way they treat people is awful. The management is terrible ,the branch that I worked at they only looked out for themselves and abused the position. I would tell anyone to stay away from this place.
Pros
hours and pay
Cons
management and culture
Friendly environment
Class B CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Hyannis, MANovember 26, 2018
Great place to work. People for the most part are extremely friendly. Theres is always work to do, so you stay busy. Job security is a huge plus. Most of the employees there have been with the company for over 15 years!
Pros
Job security, opportunity for overtime
Cons
Not many
Very Busy Enviroment
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MA 02747November 19, 2018
Like the Job But Lsayoff bery year fpr 3 month for Equipmnet Maintance is not good, no money on those months bills get tied, But everything else was great, good bosses and supervisor very estrict, and fun place to work once the u know what to do
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harvey Building Products. Our community is ready to answer.