Hastings Mutual Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Great Organization and Respected Carrier
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIMarch 19, 2018
Hastings Mutual has a strong history behind it and a lot of respect in the marketplace. I think they may have rested a bit too much on it but fortunately the leadership is focused on improving their tools and offerings to agents and policyholders. The new website and the ongoing Guidewire implementation are the biggest examples of that focus.

The company, like many, is going through a lot of change, aside from the two projects above. Insurance is an industry with many workers nearing retirement, which means Hastings has seen and will continue to see a large generational shift. I see this as a pro; but there are pockets in the company who are a bit change resistant. I don't think that is an uncommon situation though.

Benefits are decent overall, as is PTO and sick leave offerings. Compensation is average, but nothing super competitive. The bonus potential is there and can be a nice perk as is the 401k match. The cafeteria and onsite gym are nice touches!

The building is VERY dated but fortunately a large renovation project starts mid-2018. This is another example of the company evolving for the better. I recommend HMIC!
Pros
Great/friendly/smart people, not many egos, laid-back environment
Cons
Somewhat change resistant, location *can* be a drawback at times
Productive and fun workplace with few stressful meetings.
Pentaho BI Developer (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIFebruary 28, 2018
Typical day would start with meetings with development teams. Every day you would learn something new about the project and deadlines being moved according to work load. Management was always good about deliverable deadlines.

Hard part was getting together with Business people and have them go through the details of the requirements.

Lunches with team members were the best part of the day because there always will be a good story about something.
Pros
Lunch coupons.
Cons
Healthcare
Stable company
Resident Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIFebruary 5, 2018
Different culture quiet place to work. Small teams with lead having decision making ability Many long time loyal employees.Foof on site. Some actually get together outside of work....it was rumored.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Small town
Change NOT for the Better
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MINovember 20, 2017
Leadership is all about numbers without taking into consideration other factors for daily performance and service. Claim applications are poor in performance which directly affects productivity and efficiency. There are several other inefficient processes in place and unfortunately, leadership does not appear to listen to ideas or recommendations of those working in the trenches. The overall morale in Claims has declined to devastatingly low levels and turnover is an everyday occurrence. The company is becoming so focused on micro-management that it is crippling the confidence, ability and performance of their most dedicated and experienced claims people.
Very poor management
Multi-Line Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIOctober 7, 2017
Direct supervisor was excellent and always there to support us as individuals, and my coworkers were incredibly friendly; however, the managers above him were incredibly micromanaging of him and of us, and often seemed to not really understand what our jobs were and asked far too much of us. Too many people on my level were not doing their jobs and were getting away with it, and were constantly "sick", pushing all their work onto us. The multi-line position is supposed to be a jack of all trades, which it is, but they expect too much of us and not enough of the other workers such as the salvage reps and subrogation. Overall, a very poor experience as a worker. Extremely high turnover which is easy to see why once you've worked a couple weeks there.
Pros
Unlimited paid sick leave
Cons
High stress, poor management
Pleasant work environment
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIAugust 17, 2017
Pleasant work environment with room for advancement, but only at the sacrifice of your work/life balance. When interviewing, management claims to hold work/life balance in high regard. In practice, this is not true. Even when making up work/hours, leaving for any reason is frowned upon.
Decent Job
Support Services Processor (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIAugust 7, 2017
Decent job but the pay is at the low end since it is a smaller company to work for compare to other insurance companies near by. Nice job for someone who wants to grow within the insurance field.
Small Company
Senior Casualty Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIMay 2, 2017
Small company in a rural community with small town American values. No work/life balance. Plenty of opportunities if you want to sell your sole for the company.
Pros
Friendly envirment with fair pay.
Cons
No infrastructure or guidelines on how things are to be done.
Senior management was excellent.
Senior Commercial Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIFebruary 27, 2017
Senior management was excellent. Proactive on moving company forward. Worked well with the employees. Pro education and moving the employees to advance.

Middle management was competitive and immature. That was the biggest drawback. HR was not the best. They sorely lacked in professionalism. Did not know how to handle private issued in an employees life. They literally would YELL at an employee if they had a personal issue arise. Senior management would be shielded from this due to the power the HR people had - aka - middle management.

Once you could get around middle management, it was a great place to work.

I had a situation where senior management told my manager (middle management) to change my job so that I was more challenged. This was written on my annual review. She told me she would never do this because I was needed to do the job I had. How sad of her. One of the reasons I left my position at Hastings Mutual.
Pros
Workplace culture was positive.
Cons
A lot of gossip. Just stay away from the break room.
Great atmosphere but inadequate training
Multi-Line Claim Representative November (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIDecember 30, 2016
The training for the claims department is essentially death by PowerPoint with little to no real life application.
The management system of sink or swim is used regulary.
Great place to work!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIMay 18, 2016
Great place to work with emphasis on work/life balance and many opportunities to participate in corporate growth and projects.
Great for someone who's life is work
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIApril 11, 2016
The work/life balance promoted in job ads and during the interviews is not a reality for most claims adjusters. Heavy work loads and constant understaffing issues prevent normal work hours. Extended periods of extreme overtime needed to maintain files. Severe disconnect from upper management as to the realities faced by the adjusters. Main challenge is providing quality customer service with the work load and understaffing. Wonderful co-workers - by far the best part of the job.
Pros
Close to home; decent pay
Cons
Understaffing; heavy work loads; disconnected management
Typical Claims Department in a Midwest Insurance Company.
Multi-Line Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  404 E Woodlawn, Hastings, MIMarch 11, 2016
I enjoyed many of the people I worked with. This position opened opportunities for me to work with an Arson Investigator and gain a great deal of experience in this part of claims adjusting. I also managed a very large territory and worked with the largest storm & wind catastrophe in the history of my territory. Hastings Mutual is one of the largest farm writers in the state of Michigan and many of those farms were in my territory. I settled very large dairy, farm element and cat losses during my employ in this position.
Pros
Very nice people to work with.
Cons
Management's attitude towards paying claims.
Good workplace and friendly atmosphere.
Medical Claims Technician (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIMay 20, 2015
I liked working at Hastings Mutual. Many of my co-workers were rather stuffy, and long time employees who were very set in their ways. Lots of turn over in the claims department within the last year or so have had people on edge. A large number of supervisors in various areas of the claims department have recently retired or found other employment, so there is uncertainty as well as opportunity in the company. All in all it's a comfortable place to work, and the small town atmosphere is great.
Pros
Excellent on site cafeteria, free coffee, hot tea, iced tea and Crystal Light, on site fitness center, company sponsored weight loss and fitness classes
Cons
Small town has limited salary for most lower level employees.
Great balance of work and life
Complex Casualty Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIJune 10, 2014
Company very stable and dedicated to employees. Has advancement opp.
Was a good place to work...
Claims (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIFebruary 8, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed my job until new management and VP's came in and switched everything up. You are told they want to retain their employees and there is room for advancement but that is a line of crock. They already know who they want for the opening and they make you feel like a fool, they will bring a hoard of upper management people into the company from out of state or another big company and switch the HMIC culture and run things differently. The environment is toxic and your job really isn't secure anymore. That company is all about who you know and not what you know.
Pros
Good friendships with co-workers
Cons
Healthcare sucks, absolutely no communication from upper management, be prepared for LOTS of drama & you will feel like you are back in high school
call center
Customer Service rep (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MISeptember 17, 2013
I worked on a multi line call center, we took calls from 5 states.
I wore a headset and calls would automatically come into the next avail person. I would need to answer questions regarding the policy to the agent, as well as process any changes while the agent was on the phone, and verifying the change with the agent.
I would also process endorsements, and new applications in between phone calls.
Family-friendly company with small town feel
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIMay 8, 2013
I have worked here for three years and truly appreciate the professional atmosphere that also stresses work-life balance and allows me flexibility when I need it. The people here are great, everyone is friendly and helpful.
Laid back but hard to move up within the company depending on your field
Electronic Documents Processor (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIJune 1, 2012
It's mostly who you know not what you know. People can be friendly but some senior members can be major micromanagers and even depending on your gender, this can become a problem. Lots of thoughtless dull work
Successful insurance company with good work environment
Premium Audit Processor (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIApril 24, 2012
Great work environment, co workers easy to work with, full cafeteria on site, insurance courses taught in house.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hastings Mutual Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Hastings Mutual Insurance Company Reviews by Location