Havenly
Happiness rating is 41 out of 100

Havenly Employee Reviews

United States53 reviews

designerdesigncommissionprojectremoteclientexpectprocess

Good to build a portfolio, but don't use it for income

I enjoyed working with clients across the country and learning different design styles. I used this job strictly to build my portfolio because the pay is TERRIBLE. You will work nonstop and be paid very little for your work. They offer commission also but that is very little. I think the highest commission you could make was 6% and there were very few companies that offered that. They also use your clients ratings for your job performance and unrated designs will be included in your overall standings which drastically brings down percentage. I got let go over clients not rating their designs. Also if you want to take vacation for anything you're going to lose money because you are required to stop taking any clients for 2 weeks prior to your vacation.

Great for Learning more Design Styles...

One of my favorite things about this job was the wide range of design styles I learned and how it pushed me out my comfort zone but that was about it. It was really nice working remotely but but the work/life balance I was hoping to get was nearly nonexistent. To be able to get a living wage, I had to work myself to the bone and I didn't feel like it was appreciated other than a shoutout every once in a while.

Havenly insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Nice Flexibility, Poor Pay

The flexible schedule and customizable client capacity are great. Havenly’s design team and customer service are really responsive if you have any questions, and everyone I’ve interacted with is very friendly and professional. I will say Havenly does not pay enough considering the time designers put into their idea and concept boards. It was difficult to justify the time spent with money earned, and I wouldn’t recommend Havenly as a main source of income. Commission is very important if you want to make any form of decent money, but usually you aren’t assigned clients with high budgets to make large profits. It’s a great way to gain design and customer interaction experience while also making a little bit of money, build relationships, and create designs for your portfolio.

Pay was horrible!

The pay was horrible. I was not compensated enough for the amount of work that had to be done, within the timeframe that it had to be done. Also, there were always system issues, which made it harder to perform your job.

Pros

Work from Home

Cons

Pay

Ridiculous Expectations

I took a job with Havenly after having 10+ years experience interior design along with a degree in design. I've worked for major retail brands as a designer. However, when my husband passed away working a full time job because unrealistic because I suddenly became the only parent to our children. Havenly said it offered part time work and a good pay structure. I'm not new so commission is how these types of jobs are paid. However although they said originally that commissions could be up to like 7% the reality of that is that only some brands offer that and it's extremely few. The expectations they put on you as a 1099 employee is unrealistic. The deadlines insane. They expect you to have multiple clients at the same time and do room like renderings within days which depending on the room can be quite time consuming. Especially if you want the work done well. If you are even a minute late turning in the work you get $10 subtracted from your check. Each project is lucky if it pays you $45 so realistically you're almost working for free. Especially if, when all is said and done, it took you 6+ hours to complete the project. That's barely $7 an hour. Take that $10 out and you've worked for less than $6 an hour.

Unsupportive and poorly compensated

You work for hours at a time and need to sustain a certain standard of performance. The compensation is awful.Commission is supremely low.sometimes the clients are difficult.

Pros

Cons

Overworked and under paid

Overworked and underpaid with no benefits.

Don't work here unless absolutely desperate to.You put in way too much time and get peanuts in return. For a project you get paid for each submission stage. It can be from $14-25 for which you have to put in a lot of hours. A client can ask for multiple revisions and you don't get paid for them. If any of your submissions (even one of the umpteenth revisions) is one minute late, you get$ $10 deducted. So you might be getting almost nothing for so much work. You can earn through commission if your client buys anything, which a lot of them don't. 80% of my clients who did make purchases through Havenly, had complaints about delivery issues, order placing complications and general customer service, so a lot of them end up returning or cancelling stuff. Really not worth the time and effort you're going to have to put in.

Horrible place to work

If I could give them a zero I would. Turn over is incredibly high for management and customer service doesn’t follow through. Payments get messed up/missed and they don’t play fair when assigning clients. If you can’t sell $5000 to every client you have you’re basically considered garbage to them. Don’t waste your time or talents on this company. Fast food of design. You can forget about having a life outside of this company and should you have a life changing event happen you can guarantee they won’t give you time off for it without being heavily penalized.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Literally everything

Pro-diversity and positive environment

The clients are needy/draining which negates the designer’s work-life balance. I had a client message me on Christmas day when I was supposed to be off. My clients typically have silly questions regarding the process even when I tell them what to expect up front which tells me the company does not explain the process enough upfront. The advisors are very encouraging but lack expertise in our design field. Every time I ask for help with clients or help increasing my sales I get blamed for not following up with clients fast enough, which is false because I typically out my clients first and respond within 12 hours even on weekends.

Pros

Semi- weekly Seminars and customer service throughout the week

Cons

Able to easily change your workload and take personal days off

The compensation is not even close to being fair

While this job is considered "flexible" it still requires being able to message clients back all the time. Clients expect you to message them back within minutes, even on the weekends. You are paid a flat-rate fee, not for all the time you actually spend working.

Pros

work from home

Cons

overworked, underpaid

Only good to build up your portfolio.

Worst company I have ever worked for. There is no support, pay is HORRIBLE, and the work load/time frame is ridiculous. The only pro to this job is you can build up your portfolio.

Horrible. Breaking 1099 tax compliancy.

Designers are supposed to be 1099 contractors but are micromanaged and treated as employees. When questions are asked about clarifications for independent contractors, contract is terminated.

Pros

Cons

Everything about it

Very little pay, no work/life balance, unrealistic expectations by management

This company does not value the designers that keep it going. You end up making less than minimum wage, working with clients who have unrealistic expectations for their budgets (most clients are just looking for the experience and don't plan on actually purchasing through you). You must take on a certain amount of projects per week, but those projects can take up to 6 weeks to finish depending on client response time. You can try to do this job part time but work load will stack up and it ends up being a full-time commitment for hardly any pay just to stay onboarded. Because quantity and quickness rules over quality and good design for this company, a lot of my work from this job will NEVER go into my portfolio. There is no respect for the creative process. You're expected to cater to clients needs forever, so if they reach out 6 months later and ask for an alternate recommendation, you have to give it to them within 1 day. For no pay. A lot of the wholesale vendors you make the most commission on also sell on Amazon for cheaper, so clients end up not trusting the designers and buying elsewhere. Not to mention the ordering process through the Havenly platform is a disaster. The platform constantly has bugs on the back end, and it's difficult to source products efficiently.

Pros

remote work

Cons

everything else

Bad Pay, No Commission, No Bonus

Worked here for year(S) and when I started it was great. Was hired at Part Time, and now they expect Full Time loads while increasing work requirements and the base pay is basically nothing with virtually NO commission!

Pros

Remote

Cons

Underpaid, overworked, terrible commission

Do not work here if you can help it

People at the company are nice but that is the only positive. I did not feel that the long onboarding process was helpful once you start working on your own. Management is just as clueless as a new person starting. If you hate micromanaging, then you will not want to work here. Constant negative reviews from customer lowers your morale. Horrible health insurance and very little benefits overall to working there.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Micromanagement, Lack of instruction, Overall bad product

Not worth it

They require too much of your time before you start getting paid and even after being hired as a contractor compensation is not worth it. Customers can contact you whenever and you're expected to respond within a certain time frame.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Pay

Beyond over worked

Havenly doesn’t care about their designers at all. You are overworked and beyond underpaid. You are required to do numerous revisions for no pay. Only benefit is being at home.

Pros

Work from home, somewhat able to select your client load

Cons

Work/life balance, pay, everything

improve photoshop skills

heavenly paid very very very very less, so how could you enjoy work, when somebody paid you nothing. With a heavenly salary, even you can't buy dairy products, the whole grocery is far away and, don't even think about rents!

Pros

gain experience, improve photoshop skills

Cons

salary is like, someone giving you tip in restaurant, its good for customers, but not for employees

Taking Advantage of Designers Everywhere

As a predominantly woman based company, that is also owned by women, it saddens me that they take advantage of the pay gap in this country and exploit it to another level. Their targets are eager fresh out of college designers & stay at home moms or anyone else that falls into their sales pitch. How you might ask?While working remote is great, this job is not. You get paid way below minimum wage wen you calculate your pay per hour. No room for advancement, no benefits, terrible management and essentially no time to actually create quality work for clients because of their strict time constraints. Plus, you will work for free quite a bit. This company has extremely high turnover because society works for what? MONEY and you're not going to get it here.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Literally everything

Scam

Don’t work here. It’s not worth your time to be paid so very little. It was a fine starter job to get my foot in the door but other than that, it’s a scam. They work you to the bone for very little commission and very little base pay.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Everything else

Congrats on the creative career title

Compared to other e-design services, Havenly is all about the lower cost package price, and quick turn around. As a designer, I certainly have noticed a shift in my work attitude, now prioritizing quantity over quality. What you end up with, are budget clients wanting designs similar to what Havenly uses in their marketing, without realizing some of these rooms used in the marketing material are 20x their living room budget of 1k. I struggle with calling myself a designer, when I'm really just a "get the look for less" personal shopper. Also, the pay does NOT reflect the amount of work you'll be doing.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Pay

Common questions about Havenly

Answered by current and former employees at Havenly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Havenly. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Havenly with

Learn about Havenly in popular locations

• Havenly