Haverty Furniture Companies, Inc Employee Reviews

Great place to learn sales then move on
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 4, 2019
Havertys at Tallahassee has a great culture and work environment. They also send all sales staff to a world-class sales training program for a week.

The structure of the sales commission and the lineup-based lead system makes it difficult to realize a paycheck. Also the management structure pits you to compete directly with your sales managers who, in my experience, often turned to unethical practices to steal sales from new associates.

The only people who make money at Havertys are the store managers and the sales managers because they gate keep the ability to perform price adjustments. I cannot count the number of times that a sales manager would "accidentally" talk to one of my customers and casually mention that they are a manager and could beat the price that I am giving to them. I would not get the sale and then the customer would buy from the manager at a better price than I was allowed to offer.

There was never any discipline for any of these ethical violations and, in fact, managers were praised for their sales numbers no matter how they got them. For the past ten years in Tallahassee, three sales managers have accounted for 70-80% of all sales each year.

This is a great place to work if you do not need to make money. I am only giving two stars because I learned a lot about sales and was able to get a much better job in sales after getting some experience at Havertys.

Only work at Havertys in Tallahassee if you are comfortable competing with 5-8 other salespeople for 20-30% of the sales volume.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Compensation, competing with your managers, ethics, boredom
Management talks a good game, but doesn’t play.
IN HOME DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 17, 2018
You often hear about what management has done in the past, but rarely see results. I was told often all of the successs my new manager had in different stores, but I didn’t see a lot of materialize in our store. Micromanagement contributed to this problem. Management was also very non-confrontational so he preferred the sales staff handle any disagreements among themselves which led to a hostile, cut-throat work envirnment. Management also expected us to work much more than they were willing to and I believe in lead by example. It seemed that management took advantage of key.people and only put his family first...the rest of us, get over it.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Everything else, Commission was horrible, Worked ALL HOLIDAYS. Work/family life balance was horrible.
Great tranning for success.
World Class customer service (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXOctober 11, 2018
Great place to work and flexible hours. Training is very excellent . Management is helpful and giving you the tools you will need to be successful. You will work long hours on Saturdays usually every other week. The best part about the job is helping people and leaning their style. And making sales. The hardest part of the job was on your feet all day. LOL. You can make good money their if you have the volume and or customers. 40k to 100k.
Pros
great benefits and people!
Cons
You will work weekends.
Work/Life Balance is terrible
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAAugust 1, 2018
This distribution center combined two shifts (Prep & Load) & planned to cross-train both shifts into becoming equip to run the prep process & load process into a one shift deal. I think the idea was to cut back hours & eventually lower the staff capacity in order to save the company a lot of money. They tried it with all of their major distribution centers and this is the only one who is still doing it.

The problem is with a skeleton crew, it only takes one or two callouts to short a team. During the light season this can turn a 6 hour day into a 10 hour day. During the heavy season, this can cause veteran employees to quit. Without veteran employees the management is forced to rely on new hires and even temp, labor contracted workers to send out quality product that customers pay heavily for.

I have no issue with the management at this facility. You present your concerns to them in a professional and reasonable way, and they will empathize with you entirely, but at the end of the day, they can give you a pat on the back and make no major decisions without going through the corporate office. The guys in this building, noble as they may be, cannot give mid year raises or bonuses, increase the employee capacity, or make any truly helpful difference without emailing or calling out of state management individuals, who haven't put their hand on the product or attempted to involve themselves in the processes they are now demanding, in decades.

This company boasts internal advancement, but truly there's a total of maybe 10 supervisors & managers in this building, and they
  more... have all been here for years. There's never any indication that any of them may ever leave, so it seems as though once you become a team lead, you have peaked and are forced to go through the same, tedious work process forever until someone above you leaves, then for all you know they may opt to hire from the outside.

All of this is hard enough before considering the intangibles like trucks arriving often 6 to 7 hours after your shift started even though they should have been unloaded before you even arrived, or guys on your team so frustrated from being constantly moved around because of the skeleton crew that you don't have faith in them moving quality product.

If you have a family, a life, or any plans to tend to outside of your 9 to 5, Haverty's expects you to put them on the back burner to move their furniture. I like to work. I take satisfaction on putting my name on quality work. I don't like calling my wife at 6pm and telling her to cancel my dinner plans, or telling my in-laws I can't go to a mid-week Birthday event because I have no idea when I'm going to get out of work. There is no concern for quality of life, at least on the distribution end. I'd recommend a quality candidate to pass on this job, even if it means taking a pay cut elsewhere.
Pros
Benefits, Pay is okay
Cons
Work life balance, No scheduled end times, Moving product is valued more than quality of life for employees
Do not work for Havertys!!
In Home Designer (Former Employee) –  Chicago Point, MIJanuary 15, 2019
Great training program when I was hired several years ago. Now they do it by computer which is financially advantageous for them and not effective for the associate.
The company has an impressive past and heritage in the furniture business. Management cared about their people so their employees gave back everything they had including loyalty. New people in power do not care about the people who work for them.
Havertys will not make it many more years. They do not keep up with trends in the furniture market, nor do they keep up with the technical innovations customers demand and want. Do not hook your wagon to this team... you will be very disappointed!
Pros
Fairly good benefits to full time associates
Cons
impossible to balance worklife and personal life, mico management, management by intimadation, low commissions to Designers
Great atmosphere!
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 19, 2019
The company helped me learn the product and provided any support I needed after training! The management team was encouraging and claimed of promotions if work ethic and sales numbers matched their goals. The hardest part of the job was establishing loyal customers after training, but if you are a people person, this won't be difficult.
Pros
Positive leadership
Cons
As in all sales, weekends are required. This can be tricky for single parents.
Great culture.
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 17, 2018
The culture at Haverty's is great. I would have stayed until retirement if my personal life had allowed me to. Management was wonderful and provided the best tools and work atmosphere possible.
Poor Leadership
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VADecember 4, 2018
Managers and Supervisors all have their picks to which they let slack and put their work off on the underdog. There really is no team work when working with certain groups.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Okay place to work.
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 3, 2018
Good place to work. Good work-life balance. Commission goals are go up every other year, which, is feasible when the sales floor is not flooded with too many sales people.
Pros
schedule, relaxed environment, management
Cons
weekends, and holidays work, and too many salespeople on the floor.
Interior Decorator (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 26, 2018
It's retail environment is fast paced during busy seasons. There is lots of self-driven opportunities. Management is open to suggestions and improvements within reason. They provide buy-in health benefits and paid vacation time certain amount of days worked. The work schedule is demanding much like any retail job requires.
Benifits are the only good thing about this company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Braselton, GANovember 14, 2018
The company should pay the employees more but the benefits are good. If you work 3rd shift you pretty much work 6 days a week and you can't miss a day
Benefits
Cons
Management, pay, hours
You will go "BROKE" working in sales
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 5, 2018
Let me start off by saying I have 20+ years in sales with 15 years in furniture sales. IMPORTANT: Read my entire summary, it's truthful and hopefully it doesn't get pulled for being straight forward honest and hopefully it keeps someone who can't afford to lose money from making the mistake of they're life here in the D/FW area.

I have been working at this company for 2 years in the D/FW area and I am actively looking for another job. I have seen the sales numbers for the D/FW area stores. Less than 20% of their sales staff make above 26k per year.

They pay once per month.

I had 3 managers in 1 yr. leave and I've seen the entire staff turn over twice in 2 years.

They promote in their employment add 50k to 60k for sales and that's untrue. 1 person in each store may make around 35k to 45k working 6 and 7 days per week the rest starve if they don't come in on their days off and/or work 7 days per week.

They cut advertising, you'll get an average of 2 people per day if you're lucky and they expect you to make a living from that. I have personally sat on point for an entire shift with no customers for 8 hours.

If you are in high school and live with your parents this is the perfect job for you. If you have an apartment or home plus car you will lose it all working here. I personally witnessed 2 sales staff downsize their homes before leaving and 3 sales people lose their cars because they couldn't make enough to pay their basic bills.

Management is often demoted to sales staff, and then they leave because they can't provide for their families either.
  more...
The owners are family and don't provide their employees a basic living wage. Once per month you'll get paid while the rest of the same furniture industry gets paid every other week or once per week.

If one piece of furniture is not in stock until the following month on an order, they keep your entire commissions for 2 months until it's all delivered. And if it takes 3 months to come in you'll sit for 3 months without that commission and that happens on about 40% of all your orders.

My training class 2 years ago had 14 people in it and within the first 4 months I was the only one that is left, (in one month they had lost 9 out of the 14) plus I am getting where I can't even afford gas to get to work anymore and I have 15 years of furniture sales experience under my belt before being conned into taking this job.

I was flat out lied to about the expectations on commissions and found out the truth after I got out of a one month training program. By that time my previous job had been filled. This is the worst paying sales job I have ever taken. This is the worst paying job I've had in over 30 years as a professional.

They have an open floor which allows anyone who wants to work everyday can, which then makes everyone else have to work more just to pay their basic bills because their floors are so over crowded with sales people for the people that are not coming in the doors.

Their furniture is never in stock, NEVER, and there is always a problem getting paid for what you sell because if it is not delivered that month, you'll wait 2 or 3 months just for that one sale commission and this happens all the time.

I came to this company with about 10k in my savings to make it through the learning curve and now I'm down to nothing 2 years later. I would have made more working at a grocery store as a grocery stocker near my home as to working here.

Please read this carefully. You will get "FINANCIALLY HURT" working on commissions for this company. You Will Go Broke. They are trending down in most of their stores and do not tell you anything when you interview. They make it seem as if everything is great but this company's owners are wealthy and don't care.

They are misleading during the hiring process and have you sign a non disclosure form so when you figure out what's actually going on they believe that this will keep you quite.

I quit a job paying almost three times as much because I had heard of the company name, and didn't think this kind of dishonesty would be practiced and I was shocked to see it's worse than I would have ever imagined. And it was the interviewer (manager) who was untruthful who convinced me to come aboard. And he's now gone too and a more dishonest manager has taken his place.

Their furniture is over priced for what you get and what you are selling and you have to use the mentality of a use car sales person and call people constantly at home and even at their work to get them to come back into the store and buy. They never have any door traffic because they want you cold calling and emailing people on your own.

The majority of experience Havertys sales staff have left and were leaving when I came on because they can't make it with this company anymore. Before leaving many of them said this was a good company in the good old days but because of the corporate management they've gone so far down hill that even they couldn't make a living any longer. They closed three stores in this area already and are closing more but will not tell anyone which stores they are going to close.

They will have you use your personal cell phones to contact customers and you are not allowed to give out your schedule to a customer even though you are on commission and need their business.

REMEMBER THIS IF YOU REMEMBER ANYTHING: If you have an ounce of self pride or a teaspoon of dignity you will lose it working here. You will have to have a big savings account (take with you about 15k) in the bank, your car will need to be paid off and living in an apartment or home where others can help you financially.

The pay for sales people is so bad it could be legally put on a hazard warning. They will make you split a commission with people who have been there and knows the customer even if the customer didn't ask for that sales person when they came in.

They have lost market share due to new furniture companies moving in this area and you are left with 2 ups (customers) per day to make a living and that's at "BEST".

Management turnover is massive and management are on salary and do not care if you can feed your family because they know their time is short too. You Will Go Broke Working With This Company if You Are In Sales and I pray that you don't go through what my family has had to endure.

I will be leaving soon and I give my sorrow for anyone who makes the mistake of working in sales for this company and doesn't listen to a person who made about 65 to 75k per year for 15 years before stepping into this mess. May your divine source (God) have mercy on you if you don't listen to this sound advise because it comes from someone who's actually went through this and has seen others cry and call their families and ask for money to help them while working 6 and 7 days per week.

And finally, you get 2 weeks vacation per year. But if you take your vacations in any year prior to the full completion of that year they will take it back in your last check. If you don't use your vacation because you can't afford to miss a day, they will take your vacation at the end of the year and you lose them. This company is exactly why unions got started in the early part of the 1900's. Their owners break you financially and get another one to replace you because they just don't care. I'm amazed that companies like this still exist. This company wants to go into more markets because their employee pool is low due to their reputation among sales professionals.

I know plenty of sales people in other furniture companies and the managers at this company knock other companies and call them punks and weak. But all the rest of my friends in these other companies are making 3 times what I make. I will be gone very soon. I don't hold any animosity toward these rich owners because they were born rich and do not know what it is like to have nothing. I bet they don't even know that 1/3 of their staff use pawn shops and pay day loans to make it from day to day working for them.

My last employer got a rave review, and I'm waiting for a position to open up so I can return. I'm saddened to have to say these things but if I didn't share it with people in the middle class who just want to feed their families, I would be just as awful as these owners who have no empathy for their employees and have never had the roof over their heads in jeopardy.
Pros
clean bathrooms, employees don't stay long but they are good people
Cons
"HORRIBLE" sales pay commissions, Untruthful about commissions in employment add, Out of stock furniture in 40% of all your sales, Paid once per mo. on delivered & if it's out of stock you wait 2 or 3 mo. for that commission, Very crowded sales floors and very low door traffiic, It is a total Mental & Financial beat down, sad ethics towards sales staff pay scale, you will get financially hurt going into sales, You Will Go Broke, You will use pawn shops and pay day loans to make it here
Sales Associate / H Design
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAJuly 25, 2018
Management is not honest about the position nor the training it takes to even be consider for the H Designer position. Management does not care for employees best interest. The workplace culture is horrible. Very competitive and not completely honest when it is time to team selling. Depending on your store location and flow traffic, the job can be very boring. They pay sucks unless you reach over 35,000.00 in sales. You are required to work long hours especially on weekends and holidays. Requesting time off is near impossible.DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE TAKING ANY POSITION WITHIN THIS COMPANY.
Well managed company with quality products
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 20, 2018
Well managed company with quality products. Staffing was appropriate. Need a better location to be more productive. Great culture and local management.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Long hours and some downtime
Interesting Company
Interior Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 17, 2018
Enjoyed working with clients management could improve on being more personable and work life balance needs to drastically improve. Most people work on their off days and don't take lunch breaks.
Good benefits, Stable position.
Sales Consultant/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 14, 2018
A great place to work if you do not need to earn a lot of money. I.e. to supplement a retirement income, etc... The people and management are great and support professional growth.
Pros
Good benefits. Stable company
Cons
Lower pay to start career. Need to grow customer base fast to make a living
Morning excersises
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAFebruary 16, 2019
This company do not treat it's employees good. We are under paid we have to do the job of three people we have to run several machines because there are not enough workers. Management takes advantage of there employees this is not a good place to work they always have a big turnover in employees.
Pros
We do get tree lunch on special occasions
Cons
Short breaks, lunch sometimes no break, mo bonuses, the pay is to small for the amount of work you have to do.
Great Place to Work
Excellent Training
Would always return
Will referral others
work
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXJanuary 31, 2019
vary fast paced work environment love it the workers are vary helpful i leaned how to stock furniture and use a rf scaner the management was ok the hardest part was restocking heavy dinner tables
Pros
clean
Cons
hours
Love working their
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Braselton, GAFebruary 17, 2019
It’s fun everyone work together as a team to get the job done the work paste is a fast work paste the checks are good management is understanding and Compromising