Haverty Furniture Companies, Inc Employee Reviews

They Totally Lie About Commission Sales Salaries
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXNovember 10, 2018
Warning: If you go into sales for this company, you will come out worse off than if you went and stocked shelves in a big box grocery store. They are completely untruthful about their Sales Reps Salaries and Commission.

Management is Untruthful during the interview process about sales expectations. I've been here 3 years now and I've given my 2 weeks notice.

I have no credit left, I did manage to keep my house and car. Their pay is extremely horrific. You are paid on delivered goods and most furniture is out of stock.

If you have any choices, "unemployment, EBT Card and Welfare, etc" you'll make more than the average sales rep at this company
Pros
Cons
Damage your credit, takes your dignity, you lose your self worth, you lose weight because you can't afford food
You will go "BROKE" working in sales
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 5, 2018
Let me start off by saying I have 20+ years in sales with 15 years in furniture sales. IMPORTANT: Read my entire summary, it's truthful and hopefully it doesn't get pulled for being straight forward honest and hopefully it keeps someone who can't afford to lose money from making the mistake of they're life here in the D/FW area.

I have been working at this company for 2 years in the D/FW area and I am actively looking for another job. I have seen the sales numbers for the D/FW area stores. Less than 20% of their sales staff make above 26k per year.

They pay once per month.

I had 3 managers in 1 yr. leave and I've seen the entire staff turn over twice in 2 years.

They promote in their employment add 50k to 60k for sales and that's untrue. 1 person in each store may make around 35k to 45k working 6 and 7 days per week the rest starve if they don't come in on their days off and/or work 7 days per week.

They cut advertising, you'll get an average of 2 people per day if you're lucky and they expect you to make a living from that. I have personally sat on point for an entire shift with no customers for 8 hours.

If you are in high school and live with your parents this is the perfect job for you. If you have an apartment or home plus car you will lose it all working here. I personally witnessed 2 sales staff downsize their homes before leaving and 3 sales people lose their cars because they couldn't make enough to pay their basic bills.

Management is often demoted to sales staff, and then they leave because they can't provide for their families either.
  more...
The owners are family and don't provide their employees a basic living wage. Once per month you'll get paid while the rest of the same furniture industry gets paid every other week or once per week.

If one piece of furniture is not in stock until the following month on an order, they keep your entire commissions for 2 months until it's all delivered. And if it takes 3 months to come in you'll sit for 3 months without that commission and that happens on about 40% of all your orders.

My training class 2 years ago had 14 people in it and within the first 4 months I was the only one that is left, (in one month they had lost 9 out of the 14) plus I am getting where I can't even afford gas to get to work anymore and I have 15 years of furniture sales experience under my belt before being conned into taking this job.

I was flat out lied to about the expectations on commissions and found out the truth after I got out of a one month training program. By that time my previous job had been filled. This is the worst paying sales job I have ever taken. This is the worst paying job I've had in over 30 years as a professional.

They have an open floor which allows anyone who wants to work everyday can, which then makes everyone else have to work more just to pay their basic bills because their floors are so over crowded with sales people for the people that are not coming in the doors.

Their furniture is never in stock, NEVER, and there is always a problem getting paid for what you sell because if it is not delivered that month, you'll wait 2 or 3 months just for that one sale commission and this happens all the time.

I came to this company with about 10k in my savings to make it through the learning curve and now I'm down to nothing 2 years later. I would have made more working at a grocery store as a grocery stocker near my home as to working here.

Please read this carefully. You will get "FINANCIALLY HURT" working on commissions for this company. You Will Go Broke. They are trending down in most of their stores and do not tell you anything when you interview. They make it seem as if everything is great but this company's owners are wealthy and don't care.

They are misleading during the hiring process and have you sign a non disclosure form so when you figure out what's actually going on they believe that this will keep you quite.

I quit a job paying almost three times as much because I had heard of the company name, and didn't think this kind of dishonesty would be practiced and I was shocked to see it's worse than I would have ever imagined. And it was the interviewer (manager) who was untruthful who convinced me to come aboard. And he's now gone too and a more dishonest manager has taken his place.

Their furniture is over priced for what you get and what you are selling and you have to use the mentality of a use car sales person and call people constantly at home and even at their work to get them to come back into the store and buy. They never have any door traffic because they want you cold calling and emailing people on your own.

The majority of experience Havertys sales staff have left and were leaving when I came on because they can't make it with this company anymore. Before leaving many of them said this was a good company in the good old days but because of the corporate management they've gone so far down hill that even they couldn't make a living any longer. They closed three stores in this area already and are closing more but will not tell anyone which stores they are going to close.

They will have you use your personal cell phones to contact customers and you are not allowed to give out your schedule to a customer even though you are on commission and need their business.

REMEMBER THIS IF YOU REMEMBER ANYTHING: If you have an ounce of self pride or a teaspoon of dignity you will lose it working here. You will have to have a big savings account (take with you about 15k) in the bank, your car will need to be paid off and living in an apartment or home where others can help you financially.

The pay for sales people is so bad it could be legally put on a hazard warning. They will make you split a commission with people who have been there and knows the customer even if the customer didn't ask for that sales person when they came in.

They have lost market share due to new furniture companies moving in this area and you are left with 2 ups (customers) per day to make a living and that's at "BEST".

Management turnover is massive and management are on salary and do not care if you can feed your family because they know their time is short too. You Will Go Broke Working With This Company if You Are In Sales and I pray that you don't go through what my family has had to endure.

I will be leaving soon and I give my sorrow for anyone who makes the mistake of working in sales for this company and doesn't listen to a person who made about 65 to 75k per year for 15 years before stepping into this mess. May your divine source (God) have mercy on you if you don't listen to this sound advise because it comes from someone who's actually went through this and has seen others cry and call their families and ask for money to help them while working 6 and 7 days per week.

And finally, you get 2 weeks vacation per year. But if you take your vacations in any year prior to the full completion of that year they will take it back in your last check. If you don't use your vacation because you can't afford to miss a day, they will take your vacation at the end of the year and you lose them. This company is exactly why unions got started in the early part of the 1900's. Their owners break you financially and get another one to replace you because they just don't care. I'm amazed that companies like this still exist. This company wants to go into more markets because their employee pool is low due to their reputation among sales professionals.

I know plenty of sales people in other furniture companies and the managers at this company knock other companies and call them punks and weak. But all the rest of my friends in these other companies are making 3 times what I make. I will be gone very soon. I don't hold any animosity toward these rich owners because they were born rich and do not know what it is like to have nothing. I bet they don't even know that 1/3 of their staff use pawn shops and pay day loans to make it from day to day working for them.

My last employer got a rave review, and I'm waiting for a position to open up so I can return. I'm saddened to have to say these things but if I didn't share it with people in the middle class who just want to feed their families, I would be just as awful as these owners who have no empathy for their employees and have never had the roof over their heads in jeopardy.
Pros
clean bathrooms, employees don't stay long but they are good people
Cons
"HORRIBLE" sales pay commissions, Untruthful about commissions in employment add, Out of stock furniture in 40% of all your sales, Paid once per mo. on delivered & if it's out of stock you wait 2 or 3 mo. for that commission, Very crowded sales floors and very low door traffiic, It is a total Mental & Financial beat down, sad ethics towards sales staff pay scale, you will get financially hurt going into sales, You Will Go Broke, You will use pawn shops and pay day loans to make it here
Awful management
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXOctober 28, 2018
Very poor management. Never worked for a call xo ter where you are not allowed to ask co-workers for help. Management comes from Atlanta a@@h@##.inly thing he does is call and say "we are in the red can you take a call. This company cares more.for customer and not employees
Pros
Co workwrs were very friendly
Cons
Non
Havertys
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Braselton, GAOctober 22, 2018
This job is well balanced. They try to help you with your schedule as much as possible. They understand ‘life happens’ and try to work with you the best they can.
Great culture.
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 17, 2018
The culture at Haverty's is great. I would have stayed until retirement if my personal life had allowed me to. Management was wonderful and provided the best tools and work atmosphere possible.
Great workplace.
Delivery Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 27, 2018
I would work there again if I had the chance. It was a great atmosphere and the management makes you feel at home. The work is not too hard but at times could get a bit tiring during the summer.
Terrible place to work. No values
Delivery driver assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 10, 2018
I was employed with Havertys for a month and I was discriminated against, physically and verbally assaulted. Managers and coworkers don’t care Bad job
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Uncomfortable Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXAugust 9, 2018
The people here are friendly. But the atmosphere is very uncomfortable. They are too conservative. You clock in with a time clock. You can’t clock in a little early since everyone uses that same time clock. You can’t ask your coworkers for help. The manager doesn’t want you to talk at all. Attendance is very strict. Breaks are only two 10 minute breaks. Dress code is business casual you can wear jeans but don’t abuse it or they will take it away. There are too many DONTS at this company, from day one I was uncomfortable and unhappy. They don’t make you feel welcomed or comfortable. Almost all of the employees are trying to leave the company.
Pros
Negative vibes, low moral, uncomfortable feeling, short breaks
Cons
Friendly people
It was like watching kids arguing over the last shovel in the sandbox
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJuly 25, 2018
Everyone was stabbing everyone in the back. Some days you didn't know if you were even going to get a customer. Someone would bump you to the bottom of the list if they didn't see you when a customer walked in the door...instead they would be helping YOUR customer. You never knew what kind of mood the manager was going to be in when he arrived at work. Sales staff was given huge goals and then manager would scream when they didn't make any sales.......well you can't force people into the store and you can't physically drag them in off the sidewalk. Manager had his favorites and didn't seem to care if anyone knew. He could make the new girl in customer service cry by yelling at her in front of customers if something didn't go exactly as it should. He made some of the sales staff cry because a customer would leave without buying anything and he didn't care! Do NOT work at this store if at all possible. RUN THE OTHER WAY!
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
poor working conditions, poor pay
Well managed company with quality products
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 20, 2018
Well managed company with quality products. Staffing was appropriate. Need a better location to be more productive. Great culture and local management.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Long hours and some downtime

Want to know more about Haverty Furniture Companies, Inc?

Ask a question
Stay Away
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJuly 5, 2018
Started off liking the job ended up leaving due to Poor management, never listening to team on how to fix reoccurring issues. Backstabbing co-workers. Slow teams get easy routes, fast teams get long, difficult routes. Favoritism is played here strongly.
Poor routing made you zig zag back and forth between same cities which lead to excessive unnecessary driving and extremely long days. Due to the way we were payed we lost a-lot of money because of damaged product from PRE-LOADED trucks.Very stressful micro management which caused more issues than prevented.With the Bad Management and shady co-workers stay away..
Pros
pay, travel
Cons
management, co-workers, everything
Hardest part of the job
Loader/Packer (Former Employee) –  Braselton, GAJune 2, 2018
having to wrap, scan, and load semi trailers in 45 mins, also you have no time limit in which time you are getting off and that can be stressful if you have things to do when you get off
Great Company
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 18, 2018
I enjoy the short time I worked there. The manager there very likeable. I think the co. Is very well organized.
I was very pleased working for this company. I do recommend it.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Late hours
Time between next your next sale can be hours
Office Administrative (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMay 16, 2018
Great training before hitting sales floor. But this is a commission based job and can be stressful if you don't meet your quota to make " your" needed income for a living.
Pros
Great coworkers and meeting new people
Cons
Too much down time between sales
fast pace and good work out
Lead Loader (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAMay 8, 2018
start of kind of slow by stretching since its heavy lifting then we split off with our teams and within these teams we have certain jobs to do to complete the cage before i load the trucks
ok place to work
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Braselton, GAApril 20, 2018
A typical day at work included a lot of lifting. Little chance for advancement. Management seemed to lack enthusiasm. The hardest part of the job was the late nights.
Work Day
Legal/Bankruptcy Processor (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNApril 19, 2018
Easy to be an individual self starter while still collaborating with other employees with the management teams support when needed. No micromanagement of employees.
Decent Place to Work
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 15, 2018
Too many rules for selling furniture and manager who came entry-level position up to become a manager with some 25 years experience was a bit controlling and quite a narcissist. The culture in the particular store I was employed were not progressive and quite aggressive.
Pros
Cons
no breaks, 6 days work week, no input, sales persons non degrees, human resource person also doubled as store manager when manager was absent.
The location in braselton is not an equal oppurtunity
Recieving materiel handler (Former Employee) –  Braselton, GAApril 13, 2018
The manager of overnight flat out told me he wont ever hire a caucasian person because we "have it to easy" then the other manager made me feel as if i wasnt allowed to even want to work there. They lie to you an treat you like your garbage an disposable. I would never recommend working here or even interviewing here unless you enjoy being disrespected an belittled.
Pros
A lot of hours.
Cons
Offensive management, awful time management, bad coworkers, short breaks, no work/life balance
Liked the work but management is not fair
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMarch 29, 2018
I liked the work I did and most of the other associates. But my immediate supervisor was very unfair and made promises that she never followed through on. I was very dedicated to my work and the company but she gave the new hires whatever they wanted even if it meant taking away hours from me. Also, she asked office associates to put personnel documents into personnel folders that belonged to other associates. These are supposed to be confidential.