Haviland Enterprises, Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Family oriented and Employee Owned
Corrugated Plastic Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 31, 2018
On a typical day we used team work to reach our goals. Cross training was available so you could learn all aspects of the job. The department where I was employed was very tight nit and we were not only coworkers but had a good relationship outside of work. The hardest part of the job was trying to meet orders during our busy season. Upper management was against keeping a decent amount of on hand inventory and our products could not be made on demand as they wished.
Pros
Employee owned, Benefits, Family oriented
Cons
Over worked, Lack of communication
Frustrating Business Plan, No Communication from the Top
Operations (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 16, 2018
Atmosphere at company is mundane and employee morale is very low. Company does little to reward employees for hard work, No room for promotions, Encourages creativity but will not implement suggestions due to unwillingness to change. Many, many company policies that restrict freedom to work effectively. Lots of nepotism
Pros
100% Esop
Cons
Little room for advancement, Poor fair market compensation
Great company to work for 20 years ago
Sales (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 15, 2018
Use to have to be a family culture place to work. now it's cut throat, It's all who you know to advance in company. Skills or Education play no role in moving forwarded.
Pros
100% Esop, Flexible hours
Cons
Favoritism, low morale, no more annual dividend's, lack of communications between departments
My Favorite Job - Love Free Company Shares of Stock!
HR Director (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 6, 2018
12 years in and I'm still amazed by how much I enjoy working at Haviland. Our Employee's own the company at 100% and it is evident in the passion, loyalty, quality, and drive everyone has to make this the best company possible!

I've worked in HR for 24 years and I have never worked for a company that gives so much back to their employees. We don't make everyone happy, we are not perfect, but that does not stop us from trying to improve. Most employers cut benefits to save money and Haviland promotes increasing one new employee benefit per year.

Our ESOP provides an average of 10% of salary per year in a free benefit for employees for retirement. The company also matches employee 401K contributions at 25% up to 6% of salary. Our healthcare benefits are one of the best around, low $250 EE/$500 family deductible, at one of the lowest employee costs. I was paying more money out of my paycheck 15 years ago with higher deductibles!
Pros
Free Company Shares of Stock
Cons
Some aging facilities could use an upgrade
Small Company Feel
Clerical Position (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 6, 2018
One of the best things about working at Haviland is the small company feel. It's small enough that you can put every face to a name if you care to get to know everyone. The people are great and many have been here a long time! The company is also more laid back than other companies I've worked for, which usually is a good thing. They know when to have fun!

My manager is flexible with my hours to help create a good work-life balance whenever possible. I generally work my 40 hours a week and occasionally work more than 40 during busier times of the year. My manager is also knowledgeable and genuinely a fun and caring person to be around!

Pay is still pretty competitive even though it's a smaller company-especially when you take into account that it's a 100% Employee Owned Company so you are issued free shares of stock with years of service on a vesting schedule. They also have good benefits-a competitive healthcare, dental, vision, and life insurance plan. They also have a 401(k) plan with a company match.

We have several employee meetings per year where they officers discuss financials, upcoming events, operations planning, etc. They also feed us all for lunch after the meetings. I genuinely believe they are as transparent as they can be with company planning and information.

We get discounts on fitness memberships, chemicals we manufacture, and a few other company perks. We also have an annual Christmas Cheer party, Company Picnic where you can bring your immediate family, Chili Cook-Off, and Annual Golf Outing. We also receive 8 paid holidays a year and holidays
  more... are very rarely worked.

The thing I like most about my job is that I get to dabble in so many different areas of the company. Because Haviland is smaller, I have received quite a bit of cross training which I think has made me more knowledgeable and marketable. I get to collaborate with other departments to solve problems and learn new things on a daily basis, which helps me to not get bored in my role.

The only con is that there are somewhat limited opportunities for advancement because it's a smaller company. This really can be a pro or a con depending on your position. Haviland generally hires management from within whenever possible, so opportunities for advancement can be greater than a lot of bigger companies, but due to limited number of positions vertical advancement can still be limited.
Pros
Competitive Pay and Benefits, Great People, 100% Employee Owned, Caring Manager
Cons
Limited Opportunities for Advancement Due to Company Size
Fast Paced get it done type of job
Extruder Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 7, 2018
The department i was in was hot, but i didn't mind it. I genuinely loved the work that i did. The managers were great people, always kept you on your toes and told you just what you needed to hear. The hardest part of the job was trying to get my coworkers to work at the same pace i was.
Pros
Full benefits, 3 breaks in a day, plenty of overtime.
Cons
coworkers
Repetitive
ASSEMBLY LINE LEADER (Former Employee) –  Walker, MIAugust 15, 2017
We would be doing the same movements and activities for 10 hours. It could be tiring, but it also depends on which section of the company you worked at.
Horriable plaxe to work
Ohio (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 7, 2017
Poor management they favorite certain workers jobs stressful with machine and employees unsafeful incitement not a good place to work
It's a dangerous work incitement poor communication from bosses and workers
Pros
Cons
Safety violatiins
In general a good place to work
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 19, 2017
A typical day included the following: 1) Reviewing of lab chemist's daily work loads and adjusting task assignments to cover any potential shortfalls 2) Production batch troubleshooting and adjustments as needed 3) Product formulation enhancements such as required PPE, Batching Instruction Updates, Raw Material Replacements, etc... & 4) Determining Dispositions of returned and / or obsolete materials.

Haviland has developed a culture where 'Safety' comes 1st, followed by Quality and then Productivity.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Short staffed in a number of key areas
Demanding job but I enjoyed the challenge.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Haviland, OHApril 13, 2017
It's a challenging place to work but it pays off. The job can be very difficult and dangerous. You have to follow all safety procedures as you should anywhere. The supervisors and management are great guys who will go out of there way for their employees as long as they are putting in the hard work.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short to no breaks
easy, unless you make it hard
Pckager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 10, 2017
good enough place to work. Employee owned and is expanding or at least trying to expand. Leadership is easy going so long as you do not complain or ask questions or expect the whole truth or a lack of favoritism. Definitely a "who you know" slightly more than "what you know". job security is attainable but also fleeting if you are replaceable.
Pros
four days a week schedule friday is overtime
Cons
leadership is lacking and power goes to their heads more often than not
Learned many things here
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 29, 2016
It is a place of employment where a worker can earn money. The establishment also provides insurance and 401 K opportunities.
Good company
Labeler (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 20, 2015
My personal experience with Haviland incorporated was productive. I was content with company & coworkers. Management was good. I was concerned and used caution in working with chemicals. Working my department was an independent position.
Pros
good pay
Cons
chemical environment
Good company but very unorganized
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 7, 2015
Haviland is a good place to work. The employees indivdually are decent people and it is an ESOP company. A typical day would be short staffed and heavy work load. Management could be more informative and hands on. They dont show appreciation for hard work and dedication or performance,
Everyone works well together, but every company has that "one guy" or two.
The hardest part of the job is training new employees, there is no "training system" I did not have the trainer title nor was i compensated.
Id have to say the most enjoyable part of the job would be the co-workers
Pros
ESOP company, and good benefits, job security
Cons
chemical plant, compensation system, management, short staffed
very family oriented company.
manufacturing, waste treatment,packaging, labeling (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 13, 2014
I have learned to have a very good work ethnicity threw haviland , and to value the quality of production and manufacturing. this company made me lean and organized.
Pros
ESOP employee owned company, free lunch once a month.
Cons
communication problems .
Great work place
Laborer / Hose Winder (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 7, 2013
2nd shift factory.
Hosewinder, productivity specialist
Management was below par.
Easy to work with other employees in the hosewinding part of the company.
Hardest part of the job when i first started as a seasonal employee was transfering of other co-workers out of the hosewinding area, and leaving me in charge of 3 different lines to work, as myself
Pros
Hours
Cons
Salary
Safe place to work
Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 18, 2013
I would make batches according to work orders. Load and offload trailers with fork lift