Hawai'i Pacific University

Hawai'i Pacific University Employee Reviews

Nothing Special
Pretty boring waiting around for students that need tutoring. Nice to help students with their classes though.Most days I just sat around and didn't even have any students come in for help.
Lack of Leadership and Understaffed
This job was not well-structured and tasks were more than what was possible for one person. During my 2 years in the nursing department, there was no leadership, program director, or college dean, leaving me slammed with work which I often did not have much authority over. The work environment was less-than-supportive, even when asking for help, and the turnover rate was high. There were a few wonderful faculty members there, but overall it was a very defeating, unsupportive environment.
Dedicated to Excellence
HPU is a great place to work. My supervisor was excellent and assisted me with every aspect of my job. I didn't want to leave but for outside reasons was unable to stay. I recommend HPU highly.
Good enough work environment, bad benefits and pay
The work environment at HPU isn't stellar, nor is it horrific. I've found that it's comparable to most other university work places. However, compared to the previous college I worked for, the pay and benefits at HPU are sub-par. HPU (which is located in one of the most expensive locations in the United States) pays me, roughly, half of the average salary for my position. They also are stingy with their retirement and health benefits. They also charge employees for parking at their Kaneohe campus, and don't offer parking facilities at their new Honolulu campus (one bulletin the university sent out basically stated that employees will have to use public transportation once the Kaneohe campus is close in 2021). HPU is also very administrator heavy, with the university having 11 vice-presidents all making north of 100k a year.
Wonderful experience for undergraduate research
This program offered me the opportunity to take part in research as an undergraduate. The professors, fellow students, and content were all exceptional. The experience is extremely valuable in future employment opportunities.
Adjunct
Adjunct work is fun and rewarding, but tje pay per course hasnt changed in over 5 years. There is no compensation for adjuncts who prepare materials for a course that gets canceled due to low enrollment.
Pros
Culture and freedom in curriculum
Cons
Pay
Productive, flexible.
Great place to apply my interdisciplinary skills, and to develop new ones. Excellent administrative support in my professional development activities.
Multicultural environment, exposure to a wide variety of backgrounds, and an excellent opportunity to serve those who serve.
Good place to work in spite of their financial challenges.
Working in the academic environment is different than corporate America. The organization takes pride in providing a quality education to its students and is facing the same challenges many US educational institutions have with recruiting and retaining college students.
Supportive & Encouraging
I enjoyed working as an adjunct professor. The professors in the psychology department were helpful and supportive as I began teaching at the college level; a new experience for me. I learned a lot about how I would teach in the future, and learned how difficult it can be to create a class basically from scratch.
Stay away from Admissions
The Leadership team of the Enrollment Management department create a toxic environment with horrible office culture. The negative energy stems from the Executive Director of admissions. Overall, there is no room for growth or advancement in the company.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, poor management, no raises, no growth
Bad place to teach
When your boss gets fired and there is no one else who is qualified to care and managed the grad program then one has to leave too. The school had 40 professors, now they are down to 11. It's sad.
Adjunct teaching position
I have taught over 30 courses for HPU over 4 years. I teach online courses as well as in person course. I love the students I work with and as an instructor I have a lot of autonomy. I can be creative in creating and teaching my courses. I have virtually no contact with the University. All of my communications with HPU are online. My courses receive excellent evaluations from students. 3 credit courses pay $2,750. My course takes a lot of time to administer so the pay feels low in relation to the work load. Unfortunately there is no room for advancement. I have not received a pay raise in 4 years. I would love to move into a full time position at HPU but I do not think that opportunity exists. I will take a better paying full time position someplace else. I would like to see HPU take more of an interest in strong part time faculty members and would love to see them create a program to move adjuncts with popular courses into full time positions.
Pros
Autonomy, excellent students, classroom atmosphere
Cons
No benefits, low pay, no forward advancement or incentives, no sense of collegiate community for adjuncts
Stay clear of Admissions!
Stay clear of Admissions! There is a revolving door. New employees typically leave in less than a year. There is a lot of bullying going on. It’s really sad. The pay is not commensurate with the level of experience required for the position. All department recruiters have the same title, which doesn’t appropriately indicate hierarchy. The leadership is terrible. There are unreasonable deadlines placed on recruiters all the time. The official position description is grossly misleading. You’ll be required to drive a 15 passenger van and work very long hours, regularly, without being allowed to adjust your time.

Their reputation in the field is really bad.
Pros
Living in Hawaii, if you’re a beach person
Cons
No raises or bonuses ever, very toxic work environment, low pay for very long hours, management bullies subordinates
Great Experience
I was offered the opportunity to TA and tutoring for a Calculus II class at Hawaii Pacific University. I learned many different things being in a classroom with students and experienced how students react differently to different learning styles.
Auslandssemster an der HPU
Sehr hohes Arbeitsaufkommen aber gute Dozenten mit interessanten Themen.
Pros
Engagierte Dozenten
Cons
Sehr hohe Studiengebühren
Productive and fun workplace.
A typical day at work would look be coming in at the scheduled time and knowing when to run mail and being able to walk a good distance to deliver mail.
Pros
Fun, relax, easy going, flexible
Cons
no benefits
Great experience
I tutored as a part of a tutoring class, which meant that I essentially got class credit and a paycheck for a very easy job. I got paired up with a handful of students (four one semester, two the next) and helped them for about two hours a week with the various stages of essay writing. It was one-on-one or, at most, two-on-one, which allowed me to help the students with whatever they were personally struggling with at the time, and it was extremely rewarding to see how much everyone improved by the end of the semester.
Pros
class credit and paycheck, very rewarding to see improvement
Growing university
The university is growing. It's moving in a positive direction and will soon be able to offer students a complete urban campus environment. The hardest part of the job is how understaffed all managers are.
Pros
Opportunity for growth
Cons
lack of resources
Work environment
Working at HPU is a fairly stressful activity. As a part-time adjunct professor, I am "low-man" on the list for class assignments. For what is required, face to face or online classes, you need to be up to date on the materials required.
Pros
Do get to mix with students from many different backgrounds
Cons
No real input.
Adjunct faculty job was okay...
I had total autonomy of the HPU band program. I was in charge of the music, the auditions, the scholarships, the budget, and the rehearsals. We performed two to three times a week and rehearsed twice a week. I loved it. I was notified of my termination at the annual contract meeting after ten years of service. I was fully expecting another contract, not a termination letter.
Federal Work Study jobs don't pay enough
I applied for this position because I had accepted federal work study as a part of my FAFSA. The pay was not nearly enough for the area I am living in. I was paid $84 every two weeks stuck in a contract that I was unsatisfied with. I would not recommend federal work studies to other students because I believe and have experienced that getting a part time job out of the university is more beneficial and substantial finnancially. The office I worked in was very unprofessional in terms of work ethic and relationships.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hawai'i Pacific University. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
1.6Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight