Hawaii Family Dental Centers

Hawaii Family Dental Centers Employee Reviews

United States40 reviews
I struggled with things not being organized to constantly being short on supplies that we needed to do our jobs. Some days you will have no break at all. Nepotism is inevitable being that everyone is related. Management is not able to fix issues and places blame on different workers for not having things we need when they are the ones who approve the supply list we Make.continuously offered raises and bonuses and have new tasks given every couple of days that top the list we already have. Training is trash. Management loves you as long as you bend over backwards and are overall agreeable but if you have to say no about something small or have an issue, they can be very unprofessional and disrespectful . Not a positive work environment . Zero transparency and communication was lacking. Only work here to get experience. Most of the doctors and assistants are smazing. That is the only thing I miss besides the patients.
After working here for 3 years almost, I had hoped there would be positive changes and that I would have been treated better. However, management only got worse over time. I was hired and promised a pay increase after my 3 month probation. Eventually, after a year I placed my two weeks notice due to never receiving this. They then granted me the pay that I was promised after almost resigning. I worked up until I gave birth and would work long days sometimes with no lunch breaks, on top of leaving late. Sometimes our hours would be changed and we would get in trouble for working late and being behind, but we were so understaffed all the time. The office needs some professional help inside and out, and overall just a whole new management system.

While on maternity leave, HFDC actually termed my health insurance because the day they had scheduled me to come back and needed me to work, was three days later than my maternity leave allowed. I went down to part time and eventually was placed on call due to the company letting go the main provider I worked with.

Come to find out, I was actually "fired" for no reason but was led on for 3 months by our office manager. I didn't find out until after I had filed for unemployment due to the fact that I was actively communicating with the office and making myself available to work during those three months. The office manager denied my unemployment after telling me to "forget the position and move on", so I appealed and won the case. During the appeal the HR manager had stated that I was terminated due to the fact that I had a resume on
 - more...
Pros
patients
Cons
breaks, pay, management, team moral, the office in general
There is a corporate trainer on staff but you will receive little to no training. The people can be very nice, but it is a very 'dog eat dog' environment where the company is known to set you up for failure. They do not provide you with necessary resources and will make you work outside the scope of your job position. Also, the benefits package is minimal at best.
Pros
some people can be nice
Cons
culture, benefits
A rapidly growing company led by a gifted CEO. There are many challenges but a great chance to learn. Practicing on an island has a lot of challenges and you need to be creative to overcome them.
The coworkers were great loved going to work everyday I enjoyed what I did while I was there. I did a lot of filing, organizing, office planning which I enjoy and the people and environment was fun and friendly.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Take caution when accepting a job offer here.

PROS: You will learn a lot in a short amount of time. You will learn how to operate under pressure in a fast-paced environment. They push you to pump out results which is a great way to gain business experience. I enjoyed the creative freedom and the ability to have a hand in projects that are meaningful. I accomplished and learned a lot during the 7 weeks I was there.

CONS: They approached me on LinkedIn, convinced me to leave my job to work for them, then laid me off (7 weeks later). They offered me growth opportunities, a good salary, and a kindle. I told them I was happy where I was, yet could not pass up their shiny offer.

I left my job and worked 9-10 hour days at HFD. 7 weeks later, they gave me notice that they were eliminating my position along with a few others. It irresponsible for a company to not know multiple layoffs will occur at least 7 weeks in advance. That is less than 2 months. I am certain this could happen again.

My advice is to think twice about their shiny offers of "Growth! Opportunities! Great Pay!" They may not be true.
I enjoy working here, it is somewhere that you are constantly learning and can always have new experiences. The people you work with are always willing to help, and it gives the weekends off as well.
Hawaii Family Dental believes in teamwork. That is the greatest aspect of the company. The doctors and dental assistant are amazing. The front staff works very hard to make sure things are in order for a patients visit. Which puts them in overload for what is required. I believe if some of the way the front is ran could be changed the office as a whole would improve. I do appreciate the opportunity that was given and the awesome staff I was graced with. I will forever remember and love HFDC.
Pros
Great gatherings to celebrate birthdays and births
Cons
Not a true interest in the employees
The doctors at HFD are amazing, but the staff and managers are the worst. Too much high school drama and gossip. Management is the absolute worst. The rudest and careless people I have ever worked for.
Cons
Lots of turn over , very difficult to motivate staff due to the overall negative culture of the leadership in Corporate office. Very inconsistent with operational policies.. wages are stagnant, clinical staff poorly trained and spread too thin.
Pros
Some good specialist
Cons
Everything else
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hawaii Family Dental Centers?
I would recommend this place if you want to a start in the dental field. However, don't expect the pay to be high when you do start. Don't really agree with how they figure out how future employee wages are based off of. But who am I to say. Really wished they took more care of their current employees and make them feel appreciated.
Hawaii Family Dental is a great place to work! It is the perfect blend of family and business. There are lots of locations though out the state. I was actually recommended to HFD by a friend that works at a different location. It is nice to know my friend loved her job enough to refer me. Working at a Dental Center is great if you need to get work done on your teeth too!! I feel like I am making a difference in the community.
Pros
good training, lunch, good coworkers, promotions
Cons
Traffic is hit or miss
Benefits, Co-workers, and Dr's are what made me love being there. Great benefits and 401k package. Management can improve. More listening to how employees feel and they'll be able to maintain employees. Overall, it's a great company to work for.
Benefits
Cons
Workplace culture is something we take with pride. Not only are the patients are the priority, but the Operations Manager and Head Doctor lead in creating a growing environment for all team members.
Pros
free lunches and training
This company has been by far the best company I've worked for. When I first started everyone was very patient and are willing to teach. It's also a family oriented work place so everyone that you work with becomes like family, also everyone treats each other with respect. They stand by you, help you learn, and are willing to do all they can for you to achieve your goals as an employee. There is no better place!
Pros
Paid Holidays, Advancement opportunities
Hawaii family dental is a Face pace woking area and you needed to be able to multi task that i enjoyed it made the day go by fast. The doctors that I got to work with were awesome.
Pros
great team that I still visit and keep in touch with they are like family to me.
Cons
low pay and hardly any raises
Working at Hawaii Family Dental is a fun, fast paced and challenging work environment. Everyone here is friendly and easy to get along with. Everyone works hard and works even harder to help each other out. That saying, " You learn something new everyday," is true when working here, you really do. That saying doesn't only apply to me, but everyone here, even our Office Manager, whom I might add is an amazing person as well. The office manager is very caring, compassionate, hard working and knows what needs to get done and knows the most constructive way to get things done. Even when making the hard decisions, our office manager does it in a way that doesn't make us feel low, small or belittle. An amazing place to work at for sure!
I've learned so much working here. It's challenging but love to learn new things every day. Everyone is nice to each other and willing to work as a team.
Pros
Incentives are always good.
Cons
Fast pace working environment
My managers are wonderful in Kihei I’m so thankful I don’t feel like I’m walking in egg shells. They are easy going and flexible to any of your ideas and opinion.
Pros
Everyone gets along well
Cons
When you have to work through lunch “lunch is life” and also bring back Insentives
I received quick appointments for a check up and cleaning. The doctors and hygienist are very professional and friendly. They made sure all my concerns were taken care of and answered any questions I had. Overall, I would definitely recommend HFD to anyone! Working at HFD I really enjoyed it because it is a very friendly and family environment with all the doctors, hygienist, and staff.
Pros
Good Pay, Friendly environment, Free Food
Cons
I work in the Kihei location and am proud to say that we have the best office manager! She is fair, compassionate, and leads us with grace. She is very approachable and highly respected by all the employees!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hawaii Family Dental Centers. Our community is ready to answer.