Hawaii Family Dental Centers

dentalpatientemployeelearnofficefamilymanagerlove

Hawaii Family Dental Centers insights

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

Management was poor

I struggled with things not being organized to constantly being short on supplies that we needed to do our jobs. Some days you will have no break at all. Nepotism is inevitable being that everyone is related. Management is not able to fix issues and places blame on different workers for not having things we need when they are the ones who approve the supply list we Make.continuously offered raises and bonuses and have new tasks given every couple of days that top the list we already have. Training is trash. Management loves you as long as you bend over backwards and are overall agreeable but if you have to say no about something small or have an issue, they can be very unprofessional and disrespectful . Not a positive work environment . Zero transparency and communication was lacking. Only work here to get experience. Most of the doctors and assistants are smazing. That is the only thing I miss besides the patients.

Poor company to work for-Unprofessional

Very unprofessional, unethical, and a very poor company and culture. Upper management will smile at you then stab you in the back. It's all about money and less about patient care.

Honestly it was very uncomfortable.

There is inappropriate songs that play on the station talking about profanity, smoking and drinking ect. The staff is very unpleasant and unprofessional to work with. I do appreciate I learned a lot about x-rays. But I feel like my Registered Dental Assassinating career could be taken more seriously by a more professional community and or company.

Money over patient care

Unethical management. Poor training for office managers and assistants. Hygienists are not supported and are over-worked. Company culture encourages managers to lie and allow unethical practices.

Benefits

The office has the best colleagues to work with but absolutely the worse management possible. Unenjoyable & uncomfortable people to work with.

The office has the best colleagues to work with but absolutely the worse management possible. Unenjoyable & uncomfortable management to work with. Very nice atmosphere.

They do not care about their workers.

They are concerned about the bottom line more than their workers or their patients. Pay is very low.It is next to impossible to get a raise. I was there for 5 years and did not receive a raise.

Pros

Experience working with various specialists.

Cons

Low pay

Great people

The people by far is what stands out at Hawaii Family Dental. Everyone is willing to help you and is committed to doing good work. I feel supported by my peers and have an opportunity to learn new things.

Pros

great benefits and stable schedules

Poor working environment

High turnover rate for employees. No one stays because the company does not care for their employees. Its been a while since I left, but I hear nothings changed.

Needs a professional manager not a DA trying to run the place.

The pay was great at first (hourly) but they changed it to compensation (45%). It looks a lot but when the company charges $64 for a prophy it's nothing. I need to write a book describing how bad management is but it is very bad in the company itself not just the location I worked at (Kona office).

Pros

Great people except for the manager.

Cons

Management and manager

Completely mismanaged and unorganized

After working here for 3 years almost, I had hoped there would be positive changes and that I would have been treated better. However, management only got worse over time. I was hired and promised a pay increase after my 3 month probation. Eventually, after a year I placed my two weeks notice due to never receiving this. They then granted me the pay that I was promised after almost resigning. I worked up until I gave birth and would work long days sometimes with no lunch breaks, on top of leaving late. Sometimes our hours would be changed and we would get in trouble for working late and being behind, but we were so understaffed all the time. The office needs some professional help inside and out, and overall just a whole new management system. While on maternity leave, HFDC actually termed my health insurance because the day they had scheduled me to come back and needed me to work, was three days later than my maternity leave allowed. I went down to part time and eventually was placed on call due to the company letting go the main provider I worked with. Come to find out, I was actually "fired" for no reason but was led on for 3 months by our office manager. I didn't find out until after I had filed for unemployment due to the fact that I was actively communicating with the office and making myself available to work during those three months. The office manager denied my unemployment after telling me to "forget the position and move on", so I appealed and won the case. During the appeal the HR manager had stated that I was terminated due to the fact that I had a resume on -

Pros

patients

Cons

breaks, pay, management, team moral, the office in general

Come with your own knowledge and support team

There is a corporate trainer on staff but you will receive little to no training. The people can be very nice, but it is a very 'dog eat dog' environment where the company is known to set you up for failure. They do not provide you with necessary resources and will make you work outside the scope of your job position. Also, the benefits package is minimal at best.

Pros

some people can be nice

Cons

culture, benefits

Official response from Hawaii Family Dental Centers

November 9, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. I will share it with the team. I am sorry that your experience led you to feel unsupported and not prepared for success. It is true that we encourage growth of our team members by presenting new opportunities to tackle. We encourage our team members to work together, especially during times of uncertainty and unknowns. Sometimes individuals rise and sometimes they do need support. We welcome more specific details as to what we could have done differently with you. So that we may learn from this experience, please reach out to HR at hr@HawaiiFamilyDental.com.

exciting, growing DSO

A rapidly growing company led by a gifted CEO. There are many challenges but a great chance to learn. Practicing on an island has a lot of challenges and you need to be creative to overcome them.

Very great

The coworkers were great loved going to work everyday I enjoyed what I did while I was there. I did a lot of filing, organizing, office planning which I enjoy and the people and environment was fun and friendly.

Misleading and Irresponsible

Take caution when accepting a job offer here. PROS: You will learn a lot in a short amount of time. You will learn how to operate under pressure in a fast-paced environment. They push you to pump out results which is a great way to gain business experience. I enjoyed the creative freedom and the ability to have a hand in projects that are meaningful. I accomplished and learned a lot during the 7 weeks I was there. CONS: They approached me on LinkedIn, convinced me to leave my job to work for them, then laid me off (7 weeks later). They offered me growth opportunities, a good salary, and a kindle. I told them I was happy where I was, yet could not pass up their shiny offer. I left my job and worked 9-10 hour days at HFD. 7 weeks later, they gave me notice that they were eliminating my position along with a few others. It irresponsible for a company to not know multiple layoffs will occur at least 7 weeks in advance. That is less than 2 months. I am certain this could happen again. My advice is to think twice about their shiny offers of "Growth! Opportunities! Great Pay!" They may not be true.

I enjoy working here, it is somewhere that you are constantly learning and can always have new experiences. The people you work with are always willing to help, and it gives the weekends off as well.

Teamwork is a major part of this company

Hawaii Family Dental believes in teamwork. That is the greatest aspect of the company. The doctors and dental assistant are amazing. The front staff works very hard to make sure things are in order for a patients visit. Which puts them in overload for what is required. I believe if some of the way the front is ran could be changed the office as a whole would improve. I do appreciate the opportunity that was given and the awesome staff I was graced with. I will forever remember and love HFDC.

Pros

Great gatherings to celebrate birthdays and births

Cons

Not a true interest in the employees

Worst job experience

The doctors at HFD are amazing, but the staff and managers are the worst. Too much high school drama and gossip. Management is the absolute worst. The rudest and careless people I have ever worked for.

Corporate is shady

Lots of turn over , very difficult to motivate staff due to the overall negative culture of the leadership in Corporate office. Very inconsistent with operational policies.. wages are stagnant, clinical staff poorly trained and spread too thin.

Pros

Some good specialist

Cons

Everything else

Great place to start off in the dental field

I would recommend this place if you want to a start in the dental field. However, don't expect the pay to be high when you do start. Don't really agree with how they figure out how future employee wages are based off of. But who am I to say. Really wished they took more care of their current employees and make them feel appreciated.

Supportive and fun

Hawaii Family Dental is a great place to work! It is the perfect blend of family and business. There are lots of locations though out the state. I was actually recommended to HFD by a friend that works at a different location. It is nice to know my friend loved her job enough to refer me. Working at a Dental Center is great if you need to get work done on your teeth too!! I feel like I am making a difference in the community.

Pros

good training, lunch, good coworkers, promotions

Cons

Traffic is hit or miss

Former Employee

Benefits, Co-workers, and Dr's are what made me love being there. Great benefits and 401k package. Management can improve. More listening to how employees feel and they'll be able to maintain employees. Overall, it's a great company to work for.

Benefits

Common questions about Hawaii Family Dental Centers

Answered by current and former employees at Hawaii Family Dental Centers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hawaii Family Dental Centers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits