Hawaii State Department of Education Employee Reviews

Fun and Interesting
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HI 96818December 13, 2018
Grate place for mix culture family. Kind and respectful place to meet people. Educational diversity teaching. Close to where I live, not having far to travel to and from work.
Only there one year
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 10, 2018
I only worked there two years while getting my degree and as a new teacher. I loved it there but had to leave the state to pursue a graduate education.
Hi doe
Behavioral Health Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Kaneohe, HINovember 13, 2018
Worked as a BHS. The job is great but little to no advancement.
BHS's follow the typical school day. We have all federal holidays off, however, no breaks ( the week-long breaks) However you do get leave. it would be helpful to have a work from home option. Overall Hawaii is very behind.
Pros
Holiday off, students are nice.
Cons
No advancement, not even with license.
Productive and fun place to teach.
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 4, 2018
Teaching in Hawaii is good. Have taught different courses of math to diverse sets of students. Students may be laid back due to culture but they own their learning.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Short breaks (lunch, restroom)
fun job with perks
Kindergarten Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIAugust 14, 2018
loved being a gr K aide. treated wonderfully and felt happy working with students/staff/admin. I was so rewarding. I also gained valuable experience there that made me a great teacher.
Pros
networking, students, admin, staff
Cons
temporary
Great school campus
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIJuly 30, 2018
I loved working at this school. The Principal and Vice-Principal were most supportive. The office staff was encouraging and the educators at this school are top notch. Dr. Seuss Day was one of my favorite days. The school lunches are the best because the cafeteria staff at this school are awesome!
Pros
School Lunch & Fellow Employees
Good Job Security
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIJuly 30, 2018
Great school campus. Fellow employees are mostly office staff and educators - a great combination. I would love to work at this job again if there was a position open.
Pros
Close to home
Good Job
Sub Teacher/ Educational Asst, Part-time Teacher (Former Employee) –  ‘Aiea, HIJuly 7, 2018
I work with regular education, special education, and foreign children. I teach them Language Arts, Math, and Reading. Learning is fun at school. They learn to listen and listen to learn.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Leave without pay
Colleagues are wonderful
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIJune 22, 2018
Extremely stressful working environment. Long work hours that are not counted toward paid hours. Difficult to balance family and work time due to the enormous amount of extra work that is required.
Great Place
Teacher for Special Education in Resources (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIJune 15, 2018
Enjoyed working...A great place to be and work. The school was very friendly and in a great location. It will work well for parents looking for a great school.
Great place to start your career within the state of hawaii
MEAL TICKET CLERK (Current Employee) –  Keaau, HIMay 19, 2018
Great people great opportunity
Loved having summers off
But didn't like not having a paycheck for all those summer months but I did enjoy the time off
Pros
Hours
Cons
No work during the summer with no unemployment and no pay
Worth the move, not enough to live
Behavioral Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waipahu, HIMay 4, 2018
Take the job, but be prepared to get a second job. Relocation packages for teachers are available. Good job security, great work atmosphere, and beautiful place to live.
Enjoyed my experience there.
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nānākuli, HIMarch 24, 2018
Great place to work. I enjoyed the teaching environment. Learned a great deal about dissimilar cultures. The Hawaiian Islands are a wonderful place to live.
High standards for learning
Part Time Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kealakehe High SchoolMarch 9, 2018
I have worked for the state of Hawaii for 12 years and Kamehameha Preschool for 5 years. I enjoy the challenge of working with youth of all ages. I strive to provide a safe and positive learning environment for the students I work with. I enjoy working with after school and clubs.
Pros
10 month work schelude
Community School System
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Haleiwa, HIJanuary 31, 2018
This job focused on diverse and family oriented needs of the students and families in our community. Decisions, activities, and development in our setting was a communal effort based on passion, expertise, and dedication.
disorganized and awful
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pukalani, HIJanuary 30, 2018
You will regret working here. Don't do it.Horrible culture and management and lots of bullying and racism. Long hours, no support, difficult families and children.
Fun school-LOVED the kids
Reading Tutor (Former Employee) –  Makawao, HIJanuary 18, 2018
tutored students k-5 in reading; sometimes we pushed into the classrooms and worked in small groups with the students and sometimes the students came to the tutoring classroom for more intensive tutoring.
Pros
Kids so fun
Cons
would've been better if we had more time tutoring
Job security is good
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIDecember 29, 2017
The Hawaii Department of Education has issues with monetary waste and favoritism. The school that a person works at makes a huge difference in whether they get support and respect from administration. Teachers do not get paid enough for what they do and struggle to make ends meet.
It can be rewarding if your focus is only on students and you do not let the pressures of the system get to you.
Pros
Working with kids, professional collaboration, job security, good medical benefits
Cons
Not enough pay, poor organization at top levels, too much waste, favoritism
Kekaulike HS
HS Transitions Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pukalani, HIDecember 29, 2017
It is a great high school to work at and I got the opportunity to meet all of the Freshmen that come through that school. I worked on introducing them to college and career readiness and sometimes they were not ready to hear about it but at least I got the ball rolling.
Good school
Paraprofessional Tutor (Former Employee) –  HawaiiDecember 24, 2017
Department of Education Hawaii is a very relaxed, nice place to work. People are generally friendly and help you out when you need it. Some of your work can go unnoticed.
Pros
Good lunch breaks, friendly
Cons
Can get looked over easily