Hawaii State Department of Education Employee Reviews

Good Job Security
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIJuly 30, 2018
Great school campus. Fellow employees are mostly office staff and educators - a great combination. I would love to work at this job again if there was a position open.
Pros
Close to home
Good Job
Sub Teacher/ Educational Asst, Part-time Teacher (Former Employee) –  ‘Aiea, HIJuly 7, 2018
I work with regular education, special education, and foreign children. I teach them Language Arts, Math, and Reading. Learning is fun at school. They learn to listen and listen to learn.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Leave without pay
Colleagues are wonderful
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIJune 22, 2018
Extremely stressful working environment. Long work hours that are not counted toward paid hours. Difficult to balance family and work time due to the enormous amount of extra work that is required.
Great Place
Teacher for Special Education in Resources (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIJune 15, 2018
Enjoyed working...A great place to be and work. The school was very friendly and in a great location. It will work well for parents looking for a great school.
Great place to start your career within the state of hawaii
MEAL TICKET CLERK (Current Employee) –  Keaau, HIMay 19, 2018
Great people great opportunity
Loved having summers off
But didn't like not having a paycheck for all those summer months but I did enjoy the time off
Pros
Hours
Cons
No work during the summer with no unemployment and no pay
Worth the move, not enough to live
Behavioral Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waipahu, HIMay 4, 2018
Take the job, but be prepared to get a second job. Relocation packages for teachers are available. Good job security, great work atmosphere, and beautiful place to live.
Enjoyed my experience there.
Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Nānākuli, HIMarch 24, 2018
Great place to work. I enjoyed the teaching environment. Learned a great deal about dissimilar cultures. The Hawaiian Islands are a wonderful place to live.
High standards for learning
Part Time Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kealakehe High SchoolMarch 9, 2018
I have worked for the state of Hawaii for 12 years and Kamehameha Preschool for 5 years. I enjoy the challenge of working with youth of all ages. I strive to provide a safe and positive learning environment for the students I work with. I enjoy working with after school and clubs.
Pros
10 month work schelude
Community School System
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Haleiwa, HIJanuary 31, 2018
This job focused on diverse and family oriented needs of the students and families in our community. Decisions, activities, and development in our setting was a communal effort based on passion, expertise, and dedication.
disorganized and awful
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pukalani, HIJanuary 30, 2018
You will regret working here. Don't do it.Horrible culture and management and lots of bullying and racism. Long hours, no support, difficult families and children.
Fun school-LOVED the kids
Reading Tutor (Former Employee) –  Makawao, HIJanuary 18, 2018
tutored students k-5 in reading; sometimes we pushed into the classrooms and worked in small groups with the students and sometimes the students came to the tutoring classroom for more intensive tutoring.
Pros
Kids so fun
Cons
would've been better if we had more time tutoring
Job security is good
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIDecember 29, 2017
The Hawaii Department of Education has issues with monetary waste and favoritism. The school that a person works at makes a huge difference in whether they get support and respect from administration. Teachers do not get paid enough for what they do and struggle to make ends meet.
It can be rewarding if your focus is only on students and you do not let the pressures of the system get to you.
Pros
Working with kids, professional collaboration, job security, good medical benefits
Cons
Not enough pay, poor organization at top levels, too much waste, favoritism
Kekaulike HS
HS Transitions Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pukalani, HIDecember 29, 2017
It is a great high school to work at and I got the opportunity to meet all of the Freshmen that come through that school. I worked on introducing them to college and career readiness and sometimes they were not ready to hear about it but at least I got the ball rolling.
Good school
Paraprofessional Tutor (Former Employee) –  HawaiiDecember 24, 2017
Department of Education Hawaii is a very relaxed, nice place to work. People are generally friendly and help you out when you need it. Some of your work can go unnoticed.
Pros
Good lunch breaks, friendly
Cons
Can get looked over easily
Public education has been diluted by lowered expectations
School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kapaa, HIDecember 12, 2017
Counselors are required to possess a M.Ed with special training and need to have a desire to help students make wise decisions. Parents were often not very supportive and at times were the major reason students failed to succeed.
Pros
Work with students and the public
Cons
Long hours, non-supportive administration, low pay for cost of living
Rich History and wonderful place to work
Office Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Lahaina, HINovember 30, 2017
Working at my alumni high school is an honor. This place has such deep roots with the Hawaiian culture. Everyday is a new adventure. You never know what/who will come through the office and bless you with their presence. There is never a day that is boring. There is always something to do. Every one respects each other. The students know you by name/face recognition. For the most part, the students are very well behaved and respectful.
Pros
Oldest School West of the Rockies
Cons
Lunch cost $5.50 and we get the same serving as the students
Great Working Environment
Paraprofessional Tutor/Data Person (Current Employee) –  Keaau, HawaiiOctober 26, 2017
I enjoy working in an environment where my peers are appreciative of my efforts and it reciprocates. I enjoy working with others who are compassionate in what they do here.
Slow-paced workplace
PTT/TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Waiakea Intermediate SchoolOctober 17, 2017
My job was part-time which was perfect for my situation. I enjoyed working with the Intermediate students and it gave me a sense of fulfillment every time I got them motivated and engaged in their class activities/work. It was also encouraging to work with lead teachers who recognized my presence in the classroom and apprised me of the day's agenda. The hardest part of the job was working with adults who did not seem to care about working collaboratively to enhance student learning and performance. A lot of the employees whom I met and talked to did not feel valued and they were feeling so stressed at work.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Lack of communication from lead teachers and department heads
great people to work with
Secondary Educational Interpreter (Current Employee) –  confidentalOctober 12, 2017
friendly people and the students are great.
8 hours a day /12 months a year.
you get 14 hours of sick days and 14 hours of vacation days a month
you interpret for the students , school starts at 8 and students finish 2-230 . it is laid back , very casual dress because it is so hot here .
the hardest part are the cultural norms you have to learn . and dealing with the students swearing (using the f word) . the Bosses are very understanding and work well with our group.
Good for part-time work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Makawao, HIOctober 12, 2017
There is no incentive to work as a long term sub. I served 3 long term positions (2 full semesters and 3/4 of a year). At the very least, the DOE could allow some sick leave.
Pros
Good pay per day
Cons
No benefits