Hawaii State Department of Education
73Above average

Hawaii State Department of Education Employee Reviews

United States116 reviews
Being in an academe enables me to learn as an individual and as an educator as well. My students learn from me and I learn from them , too. It delights me if I was able to put smiles on the students faces. It is heartwarming to know that they also appreciate what you're doing for them.
Pros
Flexible time for my family since my husband works night shifts
Cons
No health insurance provided for substitute teachers
Hardest part of this place of employment is dealing with egotistical bosses who deny you of telework and leave requests. Dealing with seeing the same people progress in a job or promote. Never having an equal opportunity like most do. Fairness in this workplace is out the window as I seen first hand.
Pros
Paid leave, medical
Cons
Bad management, location
Hawaii DOE was a great place to work. There were tons of opportunities for training paid for or provided by DOE. Staff was very encouraging and always willing to assist if there was an issue.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
I have worked for the DOE for over 10 years I say this will tremendous sadness Parents should find alternative schooling for their children from K1 to K12 ( if possible) Very poor pool of teachers ( some very poor speech) and curriculum. Most projects and work for High School students is just busy work with no connection to real life. Therefore, only 1 in 10 students attend college. They are being set up to work at a low wage business like Walmart. This continues due extensive nepotism and unqualified employees especially through the District Office of the DOE This office runs the Special education programs for Autism and incidences of student abuse have been reported at Konawaena H.S. Administration turns a blind eye as they will not jeopardize funding and trade Autistic Student abuse and well being for their state monies. School aptitude scores are also inflated as teachers allow students to copy from each other in the labs. in 2018 Child disappeared after reporting to Kealakehe Elementary. He was found later DEAD off campus There was a cover up and most people are unaware of this horrible incident Low morale and respect are prevalent throughout this school system Incompetence abounds due to the nepotism. Hawaii should be ashamed of their school system.
As a substitute-teacher during the entire school year within the Leeward District, I have the opportunity to teach in a diverse classroom setting with a broad need for technology in a place base setting. A BA degree in Geography, specializing in cartography, remote sensing and GIS a sense of place to students.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
A typical day at work varies between the amount of incidents we have, and when there are little incidents we then become hall monitors, messenger boys, delivery boys, or essentially any other type of monitor for the office/admin.
I worked in public schools in Hawaii for Hawaii DOE for more than 20 years. I did not realize how much they provided for us- security, benefits, tenure, retirement and access to a very proactive union- HSTA until I moved to another state.
My pay was much lower in the other state even if cost of living was much lower and it was more easy on the budget but there was no tenure, and my pension upon retirement would be lower. There is no real job security here and one could be fired at any year. In Hawaii, I felt confident and protected. They work really hard to care for teachers. The only reason I left Hawaii was due to the high cost of living. Hawaii DOE is going to raise salaries to meet the demands and also increase hard to fill bonuses.

They truly embrace all cultures, value teachers with experience. They have very sweet respectful students, staff, admin. I miss it like crazy.

My plan is to save up $$$ where I am now and return for the last 10 years and retire there when pay is better. I never felt so much belonging as I ever did there in spite of the bureacracy that one expect in a very large employer for the entire state.

The trainings I received made me grow as a person. I also loved working each day. The hardest part of the job was the pay which did not meet my needs.

Thanks so much Hawaii DOE- I will always carry with me the aloha in my heart.
First thing in the morning, prepare and review my lessons for the day.
All day teaching, some team meetings in between class periods.

At the end of the day, correct work and prepare for next lessons.

Attend required multiple lengthy meetings after school
The people in the Hawaii DOE are great to work for and work with. They value each and ever student and are very compatible with other teachers. The aloha spirit is alive and well.
As an employee, I was the most knowledgeable person in my area of expertise and was paid less and had no chance of advancing due to the lack of educational degree specific to the field that I was employed in.
There were those who had an educational degree that was not related to the IT field that were in supervisory positions.
Teaching is rewarding and fulfilling, but the HIDOE is decades behind in ensuring reasonable working conditions. They protect damaging administrators at the cost of dedicated faculty; facilities are aging and sweltering; students lack basic needs and HIDOE spending often falls short of providing basic services. Salaries are decades behind the Mainland where cost of living is highest in the nation.
It was a productive and fun place to work. The weather was nice for business. The work was interesting. It was located on the island of Oahu. It may expand.
This position is highly dependent on the schools one is placed at and the interests and methods preferred by each individual in the role. There is a great deal of autonomy and you will be able to make your work with students reflect what you think is best for them. The challenge is being mostly self-motivated.
Great people to work with. After leaving the state I have stayed in contact with several of my coworkers. Innovative educational structures were being put into place to benefit the students.
This was the best position and company that I have every work for and with. This was the first time in my career that I felt unoppressed and like I was appreciated. The fact that there is a Union to protect you and people that care for you is awesome. The workplace culture is one where you can ask questions and grow. My principal however was from the mainland and he was what I was trying to get away from. My co-workers were wonderful. The most enjoyable part was learning the job, a new culture, and the beauty of the islands. I wish everyday that I could return
It was rewarding to be able to offer help to kids with special needs. Learned a lot since I've been there. The most enjoyable part about the job is that I can make a difference.
Working as a special education teacher is rewarding and gives you a sense of helping others. The work can be challenging but is worth it when you have helped the students to succeed. The hardest part is some of the other adults that you have to work with.
While working at Honoka'a High/Inter. & Hilo Inter. I would give my time with students, teachers, staff & parents/guardians to be good to excellent. At both locations I was supervised by experienced competent Clinical Psychologists (one male & one female) who had best interest of my workplace to include helping my students succeed 100% of the time. I enjoyed working with ADHD/ADD students who were identified through either their IDEA or 504 as having opposition-defiant problems that interfered with their succeeding in the classroom. At the first school the administrator is now a Complex Area Superintendent in West Hawaii & he was the best! At the second school I thoroughly enjoyed my time with students-teachers-staff-parents/guardians with one exception. The Principal of the school was precocious, mean spirited & unfair to many of the students-staff-teachers; & I was fortunate to have never had a personal run in with her. She "PRIDED" herself with the TITLE="The Dragon Lady" & when she died recently it was in the obits in our local paper. As her mood went so went much of the school making my job, at times, more difficult. Finally, my last school was Pahoa High/Inter. Here I loved the students-parents/guardians & most of the staff (some were problematic including the Special Education Coordinator who made FALSE UNPROVED CLAIMS against me). The Principal was capable if not challenged at times but I had a MAJOR issue with one of the VPs, who misconstrued facts against me believing two teachers about issues they knew nothing about. PLUS unlike my two competent Clinical Psychologists - more...
A great group of people to work with. If your from the mainland then the dress attire will be more laid back. Most schools are still not fully air conditioned so it can get hot in the classrooms.
Teaching is a collaborative effort where you make a difference shaping today's youth to become contributing citizens in our global society. There is much gratification when you see that you have had a positive impact on a child's life.
Challenges include variables outside of your control (family life, students' behavioral, medical, learning issues).
Teaching in Hawaii is over all a positive experience. I was only disappointed that I could not find a full time teaching position in a state that was actively recruiting from the mainland.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
no full time positions
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hawaii State Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight