HAWKEYE COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
very interesting working for Hawkeye. Enjoyed the students
Adjunct instructor PN program (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 29, 2018
I was still working in home health in addition to Hawkeye. Needed to balance home life and work better. I really enjoyed the clinical sites that I had when with Hawkeye.
Pros
very friendly environment
Cons
work life balance.
Great place depending on your location
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJanuary 31, 2018
Some buildings are better to work in than others. If you find the right position, you will enjoy it! Some management is better than others. I have enjoyed my current boss for the last 6 years.
Pros
Benefits are awesome!
Cons
Due to change in HR, pay rate is beginning to stink, those of us who have been here a while aren't getting the pay that the new people are brought in at.
Federal Work Study
Federal Work Study Assistant to Science Faculty (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IADecember 17, 2017
I worked as an assistant to lab facility.A typical day at work was to restock stain bottles, refill paper towels, and set up student labs for biology, microbiology, and chemistry.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Low pay
Good starting job in IT
Microcomputer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IA 50702December 15, 2017
I started working part time as a Microcomputer specialist. I was thankful to have had the opportunity to have a hands on approach and learn with senior technicians. I believe that Hawkeye offers their technicians a great environment.
Dislocated Workers Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 28, 2017
Working with individuals that have recently lost their jobs. Helping find employment by searching newest career trends, helping pay for schooling under classes that provide certification and creating on the job trainings.
Pros
Not micro managed.
Cons
cubicles small no privacy so you can hear others conversations.
Hawkeye Community College
Vice President, College Advancement (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 27, 2017
Hawkeye CC struggled a lot with 4 presidents in 5 years.; The Foundation boards got stronger with more funds raised. HCC is a good place to work, Many areas of expertise are on campus and innovation is encouraged. Technical programs are strong and enrollment continues to grow.
Pros
I was the first female vice president at the College. It had been male dominated before.
Cons
Becoming a #1 community college in the nation was not lmportant to many as it was for me.
Good enjoyable place with alot of good humor
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 20, 2017
I worked with students with Excel, Access, and helped with Accounting. Going from Introduction to Accounting to Cost Accounting. I have learned a lot.
Benefits where great
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 10, 2017
Loved working for Hawkeye but had to take care of daughter and had no vacation so was forced to quit. If I wasn't forcex to quit I would still be there.
Fun work place
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 25, 2017
I was a student employe and loved it! I worked in the business office and everyone was so nice and genuinely cared about you and your life. HCC seems like a fun place to work no matter the department.
Fun enviroment and great place to work.
Assistant Student Life Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 24, 2017
Hawkeye gives me a chance to learn more about my college and stay in touch with the various activities occurring on campus. A typical day at work consist of checking students in, working on event flyers, and keeping track of how many student come in and out of the building. I learned a lot more about my college through this job. I most enjoy getting to be involved in activities like laser tag and intramurals.
Pros
Fun enviroment and easy work
Cons
early morning shifts
Trio Student Support Services
Writing Specialist, TRIO-Student Support Services (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 6, 2017
The culture here is inclusive and strives to support all students wherever they are in their academic journey. A typical day in my role can involve assisting students in courses ranging from composition to ethics to psychology. Management is very supportive and it is enjoyable to see students succeed. The hardest part is separating from the job and maintaining work/life balance.
Fulfilling Experience Assisting Students With Furthering Their Education
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 4, 2017
I loved being a part of teaching students about the Early Childhood Field. I was able to brush up on my own theory of the field while teaching students the importance of learning the background. Hawkeye enabled me to incorporate my own Early Childhood experiences into the content of each class I taught.
Excellant School
Certificate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 25, 2017
I recommend his faculty to anyone. Instructors are great, They take extra care in tailor- designing to adapt to each student.

They take extra care of promising students and are never unfair to those who struggle.
Can Make a Difference
Program Developer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 29, 2017
It's fun to work at a place where you can see that your work is making a difference with the students. What is disappointing is how management is not interested in listening to the employees who have the solutions.Top leadership is not transparent.
Pros
Good benefits, Staff development
Cons
salary not competitive, senior leadership not transparent, management not engaged with staff, poor customer service
Ongoing assistance for students and others with questions or concerns
Clerical/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMay 11, 2017
Being of assistance adding, subtracting or rearranging college classes for students. Data entry and answering multiple phone lines typically kept me active and focused.
Pros
Cafeteria in building very handy.
Cons
Short breaks given
productive atmoshere
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 8, 2017
i was a student there and am now employed in my profession however juggling school and work was kinda difficult at times.but still very enjoyable at work and in class.
Pros
starting hours were great
Cons
very low pay, and below average part time hours
No advancement, tons of politics
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 6, 2017
Nobody will have your back, managers are only there to keep the cabinet happy. I worked their for 16 years and as soon as a project that management thought that throwing me under the bus would make me feel better, than under the bus I went.
Pros
Lots of time off and insurance was pretty good
Cons
no recognition, poor pay, no advancement, and tons of politics
INSTRUCTOR/TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 15, 2016
I really enjoy teaching and helping students with daily projects and work. It is also great to have new technology and equipment. This place has some of the best people working for them. This is one of my favorite jobs I have ever had. e
Pros
Clean
Cons
Not Full Time
fun
student (Former Employee) –  student lifeJuly 23, 2016
fun place to work. Student life is always active and has lots of fun activities to participate in. I enjoyed working here.
Hawkeye Community College
Welding Instructor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 30, 2016
My day starts an hour before classes begin, opening up the lab, powering up equipment and doing a quick materials inventory. A walk through of the shop to look for any hazards and inspect equipment and lab to insure its safe use.
I proceed to my office to check my computer for emails from students and/or faculty/administration. I then log into CANVAS to check my calendar to review my lesson plan for that day.
Proceeding to the classroom for attendance, using CANVAS, and a short 10-25 minute informal meeting to discuss the days goals and expectations. A quick Q&A and then to the lab to proceed with the days lesson.
Students receive one-on-one and group demonstrations, repeated as needed. My time is spent the entire day, in the lab with the students.
At the end of lab time, after a 30 minute fire watch at which time the students take their lunch break, we meet for lecture.
After lecture, my time is spent reviewing and grading student lab work, book work, tests and quizzes as well as preparing a lesson plan for the next day that adds to what has been learned thus far.
In the 7 1/2 years that I've taught at Hawkeye Community College, I've learned just as much from the students as I've taught them. I've learned patience. I've learned that not everyone learns in the same way. I've learned that mistakes, when made, must be identified and owned up to. Most importantly, I've learned that not everyone is able to achieve the same results with the same method of instruction. Understanding the individuals in the classroom will make for a more successful group.
  more...
I've been lucky to have a great co-worker to work with. One that is very like minded and understands the goal of our job. We both also understand, there is more than one way to achieve the same goal and working together to find a solution may mean conceding your own idea. Leave your ego at the door as it will affect the "product".
The hardest part of my job is when a student that really wants to become a welder, but no matter the amount of extra time in the lab, one-on-one instruction or blood sweat and tears, still cannot weld.
I've been in a position, before becoming a teacher, where I had to aid in the firing of three individuals. I can honestly say that was easier. When they were fired, they deserved it. But when a student fails and they've honestly done their best, that is hard.
As for the most enjoyable part of the job? The moment when the student brings you a part and say "I can't do it wrong!" After all the time spent practicing, slowly getting better and better until they can't do it wrong, that is an awesome event. The excitement they feel is one that I felt as a student myself, in that same very lab. Every time they reach the next milestone, that is enjoyable.
Pros
The students
Cons
The administration