Hawkins Parnell Thackston & Young LLP Employee Reviews

Best place ever to work for
Litigation Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2018
Now, this is the best place ever to work for. Mr. Parnell makes everyone feel as though they are stakeholders of the firm. This makes working for this firm and wanting to do an excellent job easy to accomplished.

My boss, great guy as well...
Pros
Great place to work with wonderful people!
Cons
I'm not there anymore!!! :(
Could be extremely stressful
Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2018
Could be a stressful place to work; salary was very good, until management changed hands and some of the staff who had been there for a while was let go.
Pros
Provided automomy; good healthcare benefits, lunch and learn seminars for staff
Cons
Could be very stressful at times.
The culture of the company changed
Litigation Assistant/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 8, 2018
When I joined the firm it was much more employee supportive. The comfort level working there also was very much based on which team you worked on. Some team were integrated and supportive of each other; other teams were just out to get their own. As the management changed, it became more and more bottom-line oriented and the value of long-time employees didn't seem to matter any more.
Pros
My immediate boss was very generous and appreciative of my work
Boring in-between Job
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 10, 2017
I was a file clerk for a year here before I went to law school and basically sat at my desk the entire time. You do not get a lot of exposure to the type of work the attorneys do and you never get to go to work. As a file clerk you are more a secretary than a legal assistant.
Not an ideal job
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2017
I worked for this firm in two locations. I cannot say either one was better than the other. In both locations I felt discriminated and not allowed to be myself.
Pros
work from home
Cons
subtle racism
Asbestos defense firm with high attorney turnover
Litigation Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 20, 2014
Decent benefits but below market pay. Billable requirement is 2,000 minimum, 2,200 hours for a substantial bonus, plus 300 non-billable hours. Can be difficult to change practice areas after practicing in asbestos law (especially in Texas). Very high attorney turnover.
Pros
Profit sharing after one year
Cons
Low pay for amount of work expected
Great firm
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2014
This is one of the BEST law firms to work for in Atlanta. They are committed to healthy lifestyles by offering "boot camp" exercise programs and great work/life balance (with the exception of the Litigation Dept. that requires longer hours). They are professional, caring, friendly, and honorable in every way. Exceptional law firm corporate culture (with only one notable exception) and diversity. This is a "kinder, friendly" type law firm. The HR department is one of the best and most efficient I've encountered in decades. Many of their employees have been with the firm long-term because they treat them with the utmost respect.
Pros
Exceptional corporate culture and diversity
Cons
Productive and progressive employer.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 16, 2013
Dedicated firm with great attorneys. Work is extremely flexible. Coworkers are great. There is freedom to be yourself and room to grow.
Very Good place to work!
Case Manager/File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 19, 2013
When I'd come into work in the morning, I'd usually go around to all of my attorneys offices and picked up their filing from the previous day and placed everything in the proper files, also I put all the pleadings in on the computer. I also drafted pleadings, e-filed pleadings as well as went to the diffferent courthouses in the Atlanta, GA area to hand deliver documents and receive documents, such as subpoenas, pleadings, closed cases, among other documents. I've also made trips to other places to pick-up documents/items that were needed, such as hospitals, other law firms, doctor's office, and apartment complexes. Also I was repsonsible for assisting my attorneys, such as researching case law, researching things on Lexis-Nexis, and any other things they may have needed. My attorneys as well as the paralegals were very pleasant to work with. The hardest part of my job is the filing, I was doing the filing for 4 attorneys, 4 secretaries, and 2 paralegals. The most enjoyable part of my job is going to all of the different places and meeting our clients! Basically here I learned how to work independently, be a self starter, and the ins and outs of a law firm.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
high turn over rate
Ok place to work.
Litigation Associate (Current Employee) –  USAFebruary 3, 2013
Good challenging mix of work from the beginning ability to gain work experience via depositions and hearings relatively quickly. Poor management structure.