Hawthorn Retirement Group Employee Reviews

Stay away
Chef (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXApril 6, 2019
Passive aggressive micro management at its finest. Shady untrustworthy management. Terrible experience. What was presented to me as a gift turned out to be a curse.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Being there
Not good
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MAApril 6, 2019
Housekeepers who also serve food?!! Big no-no. Has this company ever heard of CROSS CONTAMINATION?

Run, don't walk away from here!

Management nit pick about everything.
Instead of supporting the employees who do ALL the work!

Please do yourself a favor and don't work here

Board of health needs to inspect this place!
Pros
Residents
Cons
Everything else
Poor Management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Green Valley, AZMarch 29, 2019
I was hired as a driver for this company and they turned me into a housekeeper / driver. I had to file a formal complaint with corporate office for harrisment management talking down to me like I was a child. very unprofessional. I found out if you report them to corporate office they will get rid of you in a hurry. Extremely rude managers. Use profanity and yells at employees , calls you a lier. If you are applying to be a driver for this company be expected to be also a housekeeper emptying trash cans vacuuming floors shampooing carpets Etc. You will be micromanaged.
Pros
Residents
Stressfull!!!
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Summervile,scMarch 26, 2019
Run. Don't waste your energy. You'll be sorry. It's all about money in the company's pocket and it stays there. Raises haha now that's a joke... 3%. Don't ask for help you won't get it.
Pros
Cons
Cant list them all
Poor poor examples of what retirement living is all about.
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Pickerington, OHMarch 24, 2019
District manager acted as if she could walk. On water. She has zero business skills or communicating skills. Administrator hid in her office to avoid being accountable to her management team. Worked 70 hours a week on regular basis had zero budget . Expected to make gourmet food out of generic products. Stay away .. I repeat stay away!
Pros
Zero
Cons
Zero
Very Stressful
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Beverly, MAMarch 16, 2019
Managed poorly TIME LINES Are Impossible to meet you are pretty much set up for failure Lack of help always short staff .Never have the product you need to do your job
Pros
Residents
Cons
Don't let this Activity Coordinator Position fool you.
Activity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MAMarch 8, 2019
Simply put, I would never advise anyone to take this position as your set up for failure the moment you step foot through the door. Corporate does not care for what the residents want for activities they provide them for them. There is too much work for one person to handle and when you say I need some help or assistants or I do not have the time- you will get I don't want to hear that and you will get no help either. It doesn't matter what management says about you it matters what corporate says about you even though you never meet them or better yet when corporate does comes to the community and he does not even say hello or come visit you yet makes judgements against you, it's really wrong and they should be ashamed of themselves. I happen to think a lot of myself but they try to tear you down.I personally didn't allow them to do that to me. If you have a strong personality, don't take the position. I also think they are pretty juvenile with the activities they want you to perform with the residents.(Elf on the shelf) I thought that was for youngsters. Corporate does the same activities like the Prom, the Gingerbread house contest and their Virtual trip that they plan for you every year, after year, now if that isn't boring? The majority of residents will tell you they do not want to do those activities. You again are set up for failure because if you can't get the residents on board you look like the failure.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
A total disconect from community and corporate and the reality of day to day at Heatherwood
Terrible
Employee (Former Employee) –  Munroe Falls, OHMarch 2, 2019
Treats staff horrible. Hostile work enviroment. Director of nursing, and previous administrator have been in that position too long. I would not reccomend my worst enemy to work there worst mistake ever
Pros
Residents
Beware
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCFebruary 13, 2019
You will be expected to do the work of a minimum of four people at all times. Minimal room for advancement. The pay is an absolute insult for what they will make you do. Current Management is absolutely atrocious and care for no one, not employees and especially not residents. The hard workers are constantly berated and belittled, while lazy employees are praised. If an issue arises you may as well be on your own. Taking it to management will go no where and it will not get fixed. Taking an issue to corporate goes no where as well. The turn over rate is extremely high due to the way they treat their employees. They offer benefits and PTO. The PTO is all but a joke. Due to the high turn over rate if you ask to take your PTO nine times out of ten. The only good things in that establishment is the current head chef and the residents. If you decide to apply here at least go in with your eyes wide open knowing they will chew you up and spit you out in the blink of an eye.
Pros
residents
Cons
Poor management, short break, poor pay
Fomal worker
Cargiver (Current Employee) –  Gladstone, ORFebruary 8, 2019
Yep this plce is the house of stan:

Regionls dont care bout mployees.
Alwys short staff.
No fare wages.
There is no Communication.
No job security

My. Biggest problem is that Reginals are suppost to care, and they dont. Cant stnd for your self, cant hold them accountable. Is never thir fult. Conversations are alwys one way. In house management don’t communicate, everyone is always running around not knowing exacly what to do. They will not pay a fare wage.

If u wnt to work here be ready to get minimum wage for your hardet work and be ready to cover lots of shifts. YOU WILL NEVER GET A “THANK YOU”.
Cons
This company is the devil
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAJanuary 24, 2019
Poor management, residents suffer because of it. The regional directors are a joke. Always understaffed. Making people do four peoples jobs. Never any help. Racism at its finest. If you stand for yourself you get fired the next day. I wouldn't let my worst enemy work for this company. They don't care about anything but their egos. The managers there now have terrible attitudes and come into the kitchen cursing at staff, and cursing at me. The regional director has no clue what he's doing. And doesn't deserve the chair he sits on all the time.
Pros
Zero
Cons
No breaks. No respect.
Horrible managers and working enviroment
Server (Former Employee) –  Clermont, FLDecember 29, 2018
Worse place to work managers are two faced poor quality of food the chef doesnt speak english horrible experience all across the board..................
Dont work here
Activity Director (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CADecember 15, 2018
This is a horrible place to work for .I will not refer this place to anybody ,the management there is unfair ,They are all sneaky and racist .they call it trying to make you a universal worker so if you are nurse you will be doing kitchen duties and if anybody applies for activities director this is the wrong place you don't get any help, they want you to do what they want you to do for activities not what the residents want but yet they still want you to do all this work and no one will help you. the only plus thing about this company is the residents they are wonderful..so dont work here!!!
Pros
Cons
You don't get breaks, they are always harassing you, and the management team can't be trusted
Reported the Executive Chef brought a gun into work and I ended up getting fired.
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GADecember 14, 2018
Management changed alot, divisive management style. It didn't matter to them about you being a team player or how many hours you work, they just wanted coverage.
Hollow Ficade
Resident Aid (Current Employee) –  Munroe Falls, OHNovember 29, 2018
RA's are EXTREMELY overworked, always being pushed and blamed. Only offers 3% raise for one year employment even though the turnover rate is outrageous.Trained a dozen girls in the past few months and only one has stayed, and more girls have quit outright. You won't be asked to train, they just put girls with you without any notice - and you won't get paid extra for being a trainer, either. Crazy to think I'm being paid the same as the person I am training (or maybe even less). Skipping breaks all the time and STILL not having time to complete what the families pay for. Management oblivious and will brush you off when you say the job is physically impossible and will say we just have to work smarter and harder. Currently seeking new employment - tired of seeing strong woman and nurses cry at work because of the stress.
Pros
Residents are amazing!
Cons
Poor management and communication, high turnover, HUGE responsibility for little pay, expect calls every day off due to staffing situations
Horrible management and negative environment
Med Tech (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MENovember 7, 2018
I worked here for only three months and it was one of the worst places I have ever been employed. The only positive things are the pay rate and the residents. Management was awful, there was no communication, and I did not feel there was anyone I could talk to there. Very little support and training for your position, and you are constantly asked to work overtime because they can't keep employees. Completely unorganized, and a very negative environment overall.
Pros
Free meals, good pay, love the residents
Cons
Bad management, lack of support/training needed
Horrible
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 26, 2018
Management Is horrible! Low pay and to much work to do for very little pay! Residents are amazing but management is horrible! You are expected to do so much work for very low pay. very stressful day at work Monday through Friday.
Awful in all ways
PM Cook (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 20, 2018
I worked at this place for 8 months in the kitchen, I watched 35 other employees leave while working there. When I put in my two weeks, and fulfilled it, my supervisor said that I was fired instead. Management is back stabbing and two faced. The only good part about the job was the residents. I would never suggest anyone work there. It's not worth the physical and emotional abuse.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Low pay, having to deal with being yelled at in stressful situations, working 6+ days in a row, sometimes with doubles thrown in there.
Under staffed and under paid
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 9, 2018
Management changes a lot and they will not attempt to help and we worked with 4 servers in the beginning but now it's 3 and it's hard to find staff to work and stay with the position,not worth the hours in a day to even work there not averaging 8 hours in one day but you working three shifts,chef is rude and not personable,they use housekeepers to do server positions I don't understand why such a beautiful place with loving residents can't find good staff.Schedules are changed without being discussed with you.Can be very stressful!
Pros
Holiday bonus and free meals
Cons
Not enough staff, pay, or hours
under paid, under staffed, over worked
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAJuly 14, 2018
Worked at The Palms for almost a year and the RA's take the brunt of the workload o the floor, med-techs, charge nurses do not help. RA's also serve in the dining room so it's impossible to get all your duties completed, they expect way to much. Upper Mgmt. try's to help but they are also overworked. Regional comes in like a Dictatorship they don't even greet you, when call lights go over and regional calls on the phone they are so....... rude. stressful place to work, way to much work for the pay. I moved on. Good Bye
Pros
nice people
Cons
heavy work load, cheap wages