Hawthorne Residential Partners Employee Reviews

Hawthorne Residential Partners knows what they’re doing!
Resident Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXApril 7, 2019
I have been employed with HRP for 9 years this September (2019). They really are hands down the best, most supportive, encouraging and honest company I have worked with in and out of property management. I have worked in a few other industries and worked for 3 different management/owner groups previously. HRP really does encourage you to grow personally and professionally. They encourage feedback from ALL employees and respect diversity. The community I am based at is going through many enhancements so we stay pretty busy, but I know I have anyone at home office just a phone call or email away should I need anything! Just last year they increased many of our benefits, no increase on health insurance and added quite a few more paid days off!
Pros
Working environment, structure, benefits
Cons
None but we stay busy!
April 10, 2019

Thank you so much for taking time out of your very busy day to leave such a kind review. We appreciate you and your service more than you know! Your loyalty, longevity and commitment to the company is what drives us to continue to find ways of making Hawthorne an even better place to work at!

Housekeeping with light serving and laundry duties
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMarch 28, 2019
As an employee with Meadowlark estates, I was responsible for housekeeping, and light laundry and serving/waitress duties. I during my time there, had been a "lead", as well as achieved being employee of the month. I was willing to excel in the company, and had been "cross trained" in various different departments.
Pros
This company is an amazing company
Cons
I honestly have no complaints/cons against this company
April 3, 2019

Hi there! I believe that you may have left a review intended for another company.

wondrful company
Maintenance Technician II (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 26, 2019
great place to work growing company filled with great employees. lots of room for growth and programs to help along the way. more than just your average job. great career
April 3, 2019

We are thrilled that you are happy at Hawthorne! You are greatly appreciated!

Company culture was toxic
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 25, 2019
This review is more about management (middle) Never had I experienced property management company that made you feel like every day was your last. Recieved a 90 day review from a PM that was not even in the role during the 90 days or working, she was on maturnity leave. This was obviously acceptable to the RM's and HR.
April 3, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you felt as though your time with Hawthorne was unpleasant. If you're comfortable contacting me, I'd like to get some more details about your experience with the company. Kerri Shellman, VPHR 336-553-1461

Terrible company
Maintenance Technician/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington NCMarch 16, 2019
Middle management is terrible. They overload you with work then write you up for working overtime. They have openings but won't hire help. I spent 7 months on call by myself. The job is so stressful (maintenance) 4 guys I know in the area have developed ulcers, PTSD, or heart trouble or combinations of all in the past year. I don't think ownership is aware of how badly the maintenance department is treated. Whenever I discussed these things with my supervisor it fell on deaf ears. It's a shame I really love the job but I have never been treated as poorly as I was here at Hawthorne. The whole company's full of clicks if you're not in the click they abuse you if you don't kiss but they abuse you. Also they force you to go to a conference every year and they're supposed to pay for your travel expenses and they don't. If you don't go they charge you $800 out of your paycheck and if you do go they don't reimburse you for your expenses I asked to being reimbursed at least 10 times and never got my money back. I was told this was a good company to work for but that cease to exist a while before I got there. Beware of this company.
Pros
Some of the people are nice
March 25, 2019

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience with the company. We actually changed our policy regarding the conference reimbursement last year and we absolutely do reimburse for mileage once an expense report has been submitted. Please contact me so that we can discuss your concerns and so that we can get your mileage reimbursed for you. Kerri Shellman - VPHR 336-553-1461.

Very unfair company
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 28, 2019
I was looked over for supervisor position then asked to train the guy they hired over me I’m more then qualified there very racist and it’s sad cause it’s 2019 and people are still looking at color of skin instead of quality of work
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Racism at it finest
March 7, 2019

I am terribly sorry that you feel this way but I can assure you that this company has no tolerance for racism. I would very much like for you to contact me so that we can discuss this matter, hear your side of the story and investigate promptly. Kerri Shellman - VPHR 336-553-1461

Lack of diversity & room for growth. Over worked. Not valued.
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAFebruary 9, 2019
This company DOES NOT value its employees one bit. The people they have in management and the regionals are best friends so they make ridiculous decisions that abuse their employees.
You are not paid on time and the managers are not held responsible when that happens. No disciplinary actions are taken at all.
The work place is very robotic. They also have no work life balance. You are expected to perform work off the clock outside of normal business hours. They are comfortable asking their employees to do things like that.
It is a lot of micromanagement. Very little room to grow. Extreme lack of diversity through out the company.
When they don’t like you they begin doing things to force you to quit your job and then keeping tabs on every little thing that you from that point.
Overall this is not a company I would ever recommend to a single person to work at if you are looking for a company to grow with.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Eveuthing anoir working for Hawthorne
February 13, 2019

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with the company. If you're comfortable contacting me, I'd like to gather some details about your experience so that I can look into this matter. Kerri Shellman, VPHR 336-553-1461.

Not Pleasent
Resident Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 3, 2019
I spent years of my life with the company and even reached a supervisor level with them. In the end greed and lack of trust drove me away. Manage is playing some kind of game where if your not in the "click" you lose.
January 6, 2019

Hello and thank you for your candid feedback. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with the company. I'd love to speak with you so that we may look into the issues that you mentioned in your review. If you're comfortable giving me a call, I can be reached at 336-553-1461. Regards, Kerri Shellman

Middle management and Regionals are destroying the company.
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 2, 2019
You’ll ask yourself daily if you’re at work or part of a deranged cult, you don’t advance if you’re not a favorite. HR is a JOKE and nothing is confidential. Nothing. There are managers that have literally bullied their way to the top. You’ll work your butt off, but still be told you’re not doing enough. I’m talking like 80+ hours a week without lunch. You’ll ask to be trained for the next position, but be told you’re not ready. When they feel threatened by you calling them out on their behavior, they’ll make-up rumors about you and force you into quitting. Overall this place looks wonderful from the outside, but it will slowly kill your soul.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
January 6, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback based on your experience with the company. I'm sorry that you feel your employment with Hawthorne was not a positive experience. It is important for you to know that when employee issues or claims of workplace misconduct are brought to our attention, as part of any thorough investigation we have to interview various employees and witnesses that have first-hand information related to the alleged wrongdoing. This information does remain confidential to the extent possible. There are instances where some of the information gathered during this process may be revealed to the parties involved but this is only shared on a need to know basis which is necessary in order to conduct an accurate and thorough investigation of gathering facts and eliminating here-say. If you'd like to discuss this and the other matters that you mentioned more in detail, I'd be happy to speak with you. I can be reached at 336-553-1461. Regards, Kerri Shellman, VP of HR.

Middle management is destroying company
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 11, 2018
Would not recommend this company but if your looking for a job then it is a job! Pay was good but it was not worth the headache of dealing with regional managers they don’t have a clue. When you have 3 employees quit in one month (all on the same property) upper management should be taking a look at what’s going on. Oh and don’t bother to call HR where she responds to these post they will not return call!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Middle management
December 12, 2018

Hello - I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience with the company. If you reached out to me last week, I did return your call but your mail box was full. I will try again. If I don't reach you, please call me when it is convenient for you as I would like to speak with you. Regards, Kerri Shellman 336-553-1461.

It's a productive it's a productive fun place to work with good people
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCNovember 28, 2018
A long time friend recommended this job and it's been great with the company. The managers are very friendly and approachable. The work is about organized and there's clear instructions.
Pros
Free lunches good benefits good people
Cons
Traffic is very hectic and around the area
December 6, 2018

We are so happy to hear that you are pleased with the company and that you "get" the culture! You are very much appreciated!

Micro managers and incompetence
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 15, 2018
Yikes, I wish I had done more research before working for these guys. It's insane! They talk about how great their company is constantly but can't even communicate with each other. I'm certainly living the difference, i.e. job hunting. If you enjoy spending weeks begging for permission to do things that would typically be your call, condescending regional management and LOTS of pointless paper work this is the place for you.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
401k, management, extremely disorganized
November 28, 2018

I'm sorry that you are not happy where you're at. If you would be comfortable giving me a call, I'd like to discuss some of the challenges that you are facing so that we can look into these issues and make some changes. Regards, Kerri Shellman 336-553-1461

Lazy staff
Maintenane Technician (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXNovember 3, 2018
If you like being taken advantage of go every possible degree by the people you report to everyday you would love working here. Never receive training.
November 15, 2018

Hello - I am sorry that you had a bad experience with the company. Would love to learn more about your specific situation so that we can look into the issues. If you would be up for it, I'd love to have a conversation with you so that we may make some changes. I can be reached at 336-553-1461. Kerri Shellman, Director of Human Resources.

Great company to work for!
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 25, 2018
Hawthorne Partners Residental is a great company to work for. They take pride in training and promoting from within. Management was always available for questions and troubleshooting.
Pros
Good benefits
October 3, 2018

Thank you for your positive review! We are delighted that you had a great experience with Hawthorne!

Fun Workplace
Leasing Agent (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 8, 2018
Fast pace, lots of training, Management is inconsistent, properties are not owned by the company and are constantly selling, lots of turn over. Some properties are very poor.
Pros
Training
September 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. You're correct that the nature of our business does involve managing third party assets and buying and selling properties so we do have some uncontrollable turnover. We work very hard to attract and retain our greatest asset- our employees! We are thrilled that you have embraced Hawthorne's fun culture!

Inspired by the company's culture
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXAugust 28, 2018
Inspired and motivated by Hawthorne's LIVE IT culture. It is a dynamic where it allows you to bring out good in yourself and everyone that you are around. There are opportunities for you to share and to advance. Hawthorne recharges their employees all the time especially during their once a year conference held by corporate office.
Benefits
Cons
Two person office
August 29, 2018

Thank you for recognizing the company's culture. We work very hard to ensure that our employee's are happy! We appreciate YOU.

If you want to get overworked, this is the place for you
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 9, 2018
The salaries are a great incentive, but I've never seen takeovers handle do poorly. File audits are not completed, communities are not properly staffed, and only Managers are held to a higher standard.

I do not recommend Hawthorne to anyone who is serious about property management,
Pros
high salary
Cons
ridiculous work environment, high pressure, no accountability
August 15, 2018

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with the company. If you are inclined to give me a call, I would love to learn more from you so that we may make some changes. Kerri Shellman, Director of HR - 336-553-1461

Pay sucks!
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 28, 2018
They purchased the property I worked at for 5 years! They said they were going to triple my workload! But they definitely DID NOT want to compensate me for the extra work! $22.00 an hour as supervisor! I found a job as a maintenance tech that paid $19.00 starting! Without the tripled workload!
Pros
Some of the benefits
Cons
The pay!
August 1, 2018

I'm sorry that you feel that you were underpaid for your position. We are continually reviewing, analyzing and benchmarking our compensation structure to remain consistent and competitive in the market.

Fun place to work
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 5, 2018
Great property management and a stellar maintenance staff. Residents very polite and courteous. I loved working there. Unfortunately they got bought out another company
July 27, 2018

Your kind words are appreciated. Thank you for your service to Hawthorne! Please keep checking for opportunities in your area to come back to work with us in the future!

Horrible reginal manager
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCJune 17, 2018
Regional Manager brags about how mean she is. Its one thing to be tough and have high expectations but its another to be blatantly rude to her staff. When residents complain, she automatically takes their side even though they were caught on camera switching power off of building.
June 27, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. If you're comfortable giving me a call, I'd like to look into your concerns. I can be reached at 336-553-1461 - Kerri Shellman, Director of HR

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hawthorne Residential Partners. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight