HAYWARD UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

It’s fun working with kids
YEP (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 28, 2018
It’s a fun working environment and all the staff is friendly. Although the process to work there is long, it’s so worth it! This job is the best if you love kids :)
My Job
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 28, 2018
1. First 1.25 hours prep/break/no classes-ELD instruction for GE teachers.
2. Picked up first class at 9:15am
3. School wide recess
4. Taught two classes, then lunch
5. Taught two more classes, then end of day

Management: objective, fair, even when you disagreed, so I liked that, and often times got what was requested if it was within reason.

Culture: Overall, decent, professional, I stayed away from the problems and was in a different role.

What I learned: a lot about myself and students, and communication skills, etc....

Enjoyable part of job: seeing and working with the students.

Hardest part: behavior (at times, it wasn't a school wide issue).
Pros
schedule
Cons
not very many, a few challenging students
There are plenty of opportunities to grow and succeed
Adapted Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 15, 2018
Husd has plenty of areas one can explore to grow and succeed. The teachers are supportive of one another
Administrators can be supportive as well. The commuunity of students and parents provide a rewarding environment to build a career
Challenging but worth it
YEP Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 8, 2018
This job requires challenges as you are working with children but its also not difficult, you need to learn how to communicate effectively and respectfully with them and you will have no problem in working with kids.
upbeat and very fun work inviorment
Noon Day Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 14, 2018
traffic control before and after school, enforce all school rules and safety procedures to all students. worked with a team to ensure all cleaning of the eating area was completely clean.
Flexible
YEP - Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 9, 2018
Good opportunity for college students. Time is within mid day, which can be problematic for some or convenient for others. Program time can interfere with finding another job, and balance financial needs.
Long Term Subbing
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 27, 2018
At Hayward Unified School District I had the opportunity to work with Title I Schools. my experience with their HR department was good.

I worked two long-term substitute teaching positions. The work was challenging because the teacher prior to me had to leave. I led a 2nd and 3rd grade bilingual classroom for three months.
Pros
challenging classroom environments
Cons
students suffered when the teacher left
Husd
Youth Enrichment Program Lead (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 26, 2018
A lovely district with a community to back it up. I enjoyed this postion for over ten years and I have no complaints. So far, I am working with a stable salary and benifits. I would recommend this district.
Pros
Fairness
Cons
Competitive
YEP Program Leader
Yep Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 4, 2018
Hours are never increased but pay is good. Seems like they do not want to pay benefits which is why they do not give more hours. Management at site really just depends on your locations. Some locations have better support than where I was located.
Productive and fun workplace.
Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 24, 2018
Great place to work with children. Alot of opportunity to grow while being able to help kids of all ages and backgrounds as well as your coworkers. A good place to learn leadership skills
Absolutely great Co-Workers.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CA. San Francisco Bay AreaJanuary 26, 2018
The great thing about the job was the adventure; daily or weekly changes. I could be teaching high school pre-calculus this week, and junior high biology next week, or adult school math the next. A lot of my fellow teachers were very supportive to work with. The most difficult part of the job was managing and maintaining a good learning environment, when a class had difficult students.
Pros
I loved it when students got difficult concepts.
Cons
Grading lots of papers could be challenging.
entry level position to work with grade school children
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 10, 2018
HUSD provided me with a position that allowed me to work with children 3to 5 years old and children 5 to 8 year old. The staff was great and child teacher ratios were wonderful.
Pros
Provided me with and opportunity to work with maany ages
Cons
Not offering benefited permanent positons
n/a
Paraprofessional Severely Handicapped Healthcare (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 4, 2018
Hayward Unified School District is a great place to work at. The coworkers are nice and the students are okay. Teachers give you new ideas and you get to learn a lot.
fun and collaborative
Paraprofessional Teacher Health care (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 1, 2018
It's fun working with the kids and co-workers are very friendly and professional. I learned to cope with different people since I go to different schools.
Challenging and rewarding work environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CADecember 31, 2017
The opportunity to affect children's lives was both a challenge with the reward of seeing progress.
Collaboration with other teachers provided excellent opportunity to improve knowledge and skill.
The requirement of developing lesson plans within the guidelines of district curriculum provided an opportunity to use creative talents.
Over-all, personality management more than classroom management was the skill most needed. I was successful in assessing a students' area of concentration and build from there.
Working environment
Pupil Advocate (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 24, 2017
Loved the position and work environment. Also enjoyed the autonomy of the position. Expectations were lofty, but was offered the opportunity to design, and plan programming.
Pros
Professional autonomy
Cons
Lack of understanding of serving marginalized students
Cons
Enrollment Technician (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 14, 2017
The medical benefits are extremely expensive, and it's good to get hired on as a Sub to start but it seems nearly impossible to get in permanently. When you're a sub you can work from 0-40 hrs week, depends if you're needed. T
Very good company to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CA 94544September 27, 2017
Very good experience with HUSD. I have learned a lot.
Is the mos enjoyable job in my life.
I have learned a lot working with different people with different culture.
Pros
Cons
NO health insurance benefits.
Not a good long term solution
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Hayward high SchoolSeptember 26, 2017
Long-term stability is not in the offing. POC do not fare well in this district. Management is in a death spiral against the Board, which is against the Unions. Children are terribly misguided and suffer under racist conditions that persist. 2014 saw race riots in the district, but the management insisted there is no race problem. A student was gunned down (assailant at large), and the district is in denial that there is a gang problem. (Thumbs down)
Pros
Student pride
Cons
Layoffs
Great kids, nice coworkers
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CASeptember 5, 2017
Great working environment. Always felt valued as an employee. Most teachers and staff are very dedicated and happy to be there. Would recommend to anyone who loves working with children.