HAYWARD UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Great place to work but hard to attain a full time position.
Campus Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 23, 2019
Check in with the secretary to submit time card for the day, then check out radio equipment for use. Perform check at gates and then make sure all students are compliant with tardy policy. I have learned to communicate with the younger generation effectively. Management is supportive of staff. The hardest part of this position is getting paid on a monthly basis and not bi-weekly. The most enjoyable part is dealing with the students.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
Full time position are not available
Great place to make a difference
Youth Enrichment Program Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 18, 2019
Great place to start a career working with youth. If you have a passion that out weighs politics, this is a good place to be. Regular evaluations, professional development and relevant curriculum. Management can be tough on you but that's their job. Amazing supervisors and even better students and community. If you really want to impact the life of youth, this is the place to do it.
Pros
Profesional development and advancements
Cons
No paid vacation for 10 month employees
Fun and engaging
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMarch 26, 2019
Working at the Hayward Unified School District as a Youth Enrichment Program Leader was fun, fulfilling and productive. I loved making a difference in the students’ lives.
Excellent pay and potential benefits
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 26, 2019
The pay and potential benefits for retirement for Calpers along with the paid days off are about the only aspects of the job I can honestly say are the highlights. However, the management is on the extreme opposite end of the spectrum. Very poor cutthroat culture and poor managers who do not seem to have an idea even about your job tasks. The hardest part of the job is looking over your shoulder to make sure a co-worker isn't there to try to bring you down so they can get a "promotion" or a permanent school site to work at. You move from site to site cleaning kitchen areas and most of the time you may get home as late as 8 or 9 pm. Lastly, If you do wind up laid off or terminated from this district you may as well consider yourself permanently banned. They have a policy of NOT ever hiring previous employees regardless of the condition which is borderline illegal.
Pros
Cons
Paid once a month, cutthroat culture, poor management, dreadful HR
Fun
Library Technician (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 20, 2019
I will recommend people that a passion in teaching to go there. It was hard yet impossible to get a full time position there after spending four years and tried
Pros
Job security
Cons
Hard to move up
its a very good place to work
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 6, 2019
If you love kids the school district is a great place to work. The pay is good. The medical benefits are too expensive. Most people who work there are happy.
Pros
You get to shape children in a positive way
Cons
The medical benefits are too expensive
Good productive work place with many happy faces.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 30, 2018
I worked as a substitute Custodian for almost 4 years at the HUSD. it was a great job and learning experiance. I enjoyed learning and working differnt schools.
working with kids is amazing
Teachers Aid/Bi-Lingual Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glassbrouck elementary school in Hayward CAOctober 31, 2018
I love kids . Working with kid before I had my kids was wonderful. I lured how to be a good mom from working with school kids. I strongly suggest every woman should work with kids before making a decision of becoming a mother,
Pros
Fun and educational
Cons
no hours very little pay
Good place to start your professional career
Coordinator of Services Team Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 24, 2018
30 hours a week. No benefits/Health insurance. Good workplace culture depending where you are placed. Good team to work with. Some space for professional growth.
Job Environment adequate and good
Part-time Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 22, 2018
HAS is an institution dedicated to adult education, specifically in the preparation of students for the GED exam. It is an adequate work environment, correct respect at all times. The authorities and coworkers are good professionals and dedicated entirely to their work.
Relaxed and fun
Para Educator Special Education (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 6, 2018
Coworkers are eager to help out and provide support when you ask.
Slow paced, friendly environment.
14 paid holidays.
Free lunch, sometimes.
Everyone is showed they are appreciated for their work one way or another.
Pros
field trips with the students
Cons
Low hours
It’s fun working with kids
YEP (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 28, 2018
It’s a fun working environment and all the staff is friendly. Although the process to work there is long, it’s so worth it! This job is the best if you love kids :)
My Job
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 28, 2018
1. First 1.25 hours prep/break/no classes-ELD instruction for GE teachers.
2. Picked up first class at 9:15am
3. School wide recess
4. Taught two classes, then lunch
5. Taught two more classes, then end of day

Management: objective, fair, even when you disagreed, so I liked that, and often times got what was requested if it was within reason.

Culture: Overall, decent, professional, I stayed away from the problems and was in a different role.

What I learned: a lot about myself and students, and communication skills, etc....

Enjoyable part of job: seeing and working with the students.

Hardest part: behavior (at times, it wasn't a school wide issue).
Pros
schedule
Cons
not very many, a few challenging students
There are plenty of opportunities to grow and succeed
Adapted Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 15, 2018
Husd has plenty of areas one can explore to grow and succeed. The teachers are supportive of one another
Administrators can be supportive as well. The commuunity of students and parents provide a rewarding environment to build a career
Challenging but worth it
YEP Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 8, 2018
This job requires challenges as you are working with children but its also not difficult, you need to learn how to communicate effectively and respectfully with them and you will have no problem in working with kids.
upbeat and very fun work inviorment
Noon Day Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 14, 2018
traffic control before and after school, enforce all school rules and safety procedures to all students. worked with a team to ensure all cleaning of the eating area was completely clean.
Flexible
YEP - Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 9, 2018
Good opportunity for college students. Time is within mid day, which can be problematic for some or convenient for others. Program time can interfere with finding another job, and balance financial needs.
Long Term Subbing
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 27, 2018
At Hayward Unified School District I had the opportunity to work with Title I Schools. my experience with their HR department was good.

I worked two long-term substitute teaching positions. The work was challenging because the teacher prior to me had to leave. I led a 2nd and 3rd grade bilingual classroom for three months.
Pros
challenging classroom environments
Cons
students suffered when the teacher left
Husd
Youth Enrichment Program Lead (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 26, 2018
A lovely district with a community to back it up. I enjoyed this postion for over ten years and I have no complaints. So far, I am working with a stable salary and benifits. I would recommend this district.
Pros
Fairness
Cons
Competitive
YEP Program Leader
Yep Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 4, 2018
Hours are never increased but pay is good. Seems like they do not want to pay benefits which is why they do not give more hours. Management at site really just depends on your locations. Some locations have better support than where I was located.