Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation
58Below average

Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation Employee Reviews

United States175 reviews
Bad management and work culture
I am grateful for this company for starting my experience with a successful company early in my career. I worked at Hazelden for over three years in different departments. I eventually left because bad management, and bad work culture. Often treatment providers who worked there were very clicky and turned against you if you had any say on what hazelden could improve on. I stand behind hazeldens mission but believe more time and money needs to put in the bio psycho social aspect of the treatment model, because the AA and 12-step treatment model is way behind the times. For an advanced, and prestigious treatment center, they need to spend more time on research outside of the 12-step model because this is not the only treatment model for success. Also, listen more to employee feedback. Stop looking at just employee turn over rate as bad employees, and take the time to really look into bad managers who abuse their power.
March 17, 2020
Thank you for leaving this thorough review. We never want anyone for any of our employees to have such an experience. Your feedback will be shared with leadership.
Amazing
Great company, many changes like any other company, but definitely worth it. I wish I never left the company. I regret it every single day.
Working at the Betty Ford Center was truly an eye opener because we got so many perks, discounts with advantage, the company gives you a day off on your birthday or at least they ask you, the yearly raises are great!
Love the work, but the staff is so unwelcoming and accepting and no opportunity to advance
I worked in the Children's Program in Aurora, Colorado and while I thoroughly enjoyed the work we did and the kids and families we had the privilege of working with, my coworkers and supervisor were very unwelcoming and the pay was not on par with the work we were doing. Granted, you aren't required to have a license to be a children's counselor there, which would make me uncomfortable to put the care of my child under their responsibility, especially since they are working in mental health and family therapy. There is absolutely no possibility for advancement unless your supervisor quits or is fired and you were the next one in line who has been there the longest; qualifications aren't a consideration. The group that I was working with were very unwelcoming and not accepting of different perspectives of situations. My supervisor was very hypocritical, making complaints about me that she was participating in herself. She even went as far as to fabricate complaints about me when we got towards the end of relationship that we knew wasn't working out, just to have ammunition to terminate me. It was my word against hers and again, she had been there for a really long time and I had no peer support. It was horrible. But it was great because it forced me to move on and now I couldn't be happier in my practice. I have been able to expand my experiences and learning opportunities so I can further help the clients I currently work with.
Sadly the employee experience is not equivalent to the esteem of the brand
Culture is promoted as important but practice and application of it are weak. Employee engagement is stated as a priority yet there is no real change based on feedback. Leadership is cut off from the reality of workload for staff that provides patient care. Work life balance is a struggle and the wellness lifestyle promoted as the product for patients is not supported by the organization for its employees. Leaders need to be more compassionate and hold themselves as accountable as they hold their subordinates. How can staff provide hope and healing when the culture for them is fear based? You won't fit in here unless you are a workaholic.
Don't work here
I do not recommend working here. There is a high turnover. Almost always understaffed. Current management needs improvement. Very unhappy, almost hostile, work environment
March 17, 2020
Thanks for leaving a review. If you have more feedback, please feel free to email socialmedia(AT)hazeldenbettyford(DOT)org.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
No work life balance
Very stressful environment and always running on a skeleton crew.Center City campus is beautiful and the coworkers are great. I did pack on 40 lbs due to the stress though
March 17, 2020
Thanks for leaving this review, and for your time and dedication. I hope you have found health and wellness in your new position.
High stress due to the nature of the work. Excellent training, teamwork and responsive management. Pay was excellent. Some flexibility. Great continuing education.
Rehabilitation Clinic for Young Adults
A community focused environment where young people can come together to focus on their addictions and heal together. The staff is always caring and attentive, and the cafeteria usually rings with laughter and music.
February 11, 2020
Thank you for leaving your comments. This is a wonderful reflection of our values. Thank you for the time you spent helping other find health, hope and healing.
This an terrible company to work for
This organization is more concerned about paperwork, productivity, money, liability than they are about competent care. DO NOT WORK THERE. YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!
February 11, 2020
Patient safety, health, and confidentiality are of utmost concern to the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. We are sorry you had a negative experience working for our St. Paul location.
The Hours are really good, they have awesome benefits and the people are great. It it close to where I live so the drive is short. Managers are always willing to help out
February 11, 2020
Thanks for your hard work and dedication, and thank you for leaving this review.
Hazelden destroyed the legacy of Mrs. Ford. Patients are not their priority but the revenue they want to make.
Sad that this once respected foundation by many got tarnished by the new corporate who took over it. Sad that many employees who lost their jobs changed their lives. Employees who are dedicated and has been there for so many years. God help the center.
February 11, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for the organization after you have left. Patient safety, health, and confidentiality are indeed our number one priority, and I am very sorry you experienced a different truth.
Good working culture. Must be good with people and emotionally set to help people in crises seeking treatment. I would seek a longer learning curve as the information to absorb is alot and can be complicated.
February 11, 2020
This is helpful feedback. Thank you for providing your comments, and thank you for all you did to help others receive the help they needed.
Meeting new people
I love being able to sit down but also still work with people, meet new people, and help others. This company is a very loving, caring place and you can feel that in each employee.
February 11, 2020
Thanks for your review for others to read, and thank you for all you do!
Watch your back! No one else will. Trust no one! Ever.
They say it starts at the top. We never saw the anyone from the 'top' go. But the worker bees that keep the place running were constantly dumped. All of a sudden. No warning. The 'top' meanwhile

kept getting raises.Still do.
Pros
Good food in dietary.
Cons
Be a yes man and you'll do ok.
January 20, 2020
Thanks for leaving a review of your experience, Nope. If ever you feel compelled to share more information of this report, please email us at socialmedia(AT)hazeldenbettyford(DOT)org to elaborate.
Chaotic
For such an esteemed organization, the nursing department’s leadership is failing miserably. It was a very big disappointment for a place that has such meaningful work and dedicated staff to see the way the nurse managers handled situations, create and allow unnecessary chaos and generally dismissive the nursing staff as naughty little children who need to stop fighting with each other. There is no leadership at the helm and the bullies reign.
January 13, 2020
Thank you for your review, and for your time working with our patients. While you are no longer with the organization, I hope you were able to voice your concerns in depth with the executive leadership team. If not, please reach out to us at socialmedia(AT)hazeldenbettyford(DOT)org to share more details about your experience.
Quantity over quality care
Over worked and HBF puts too much on Counselor’s so the client is not receiving the most important part of treatment: one on one time where the counselor is not feeling stressed about having to complete an overload of documentation. It’s in fortunate but HBF upper management cares more about quantity of caseloads rather than quality care for clients.
January 6, 2020
Thank you for giving your time and talents to our patients, and for offering your feedback here. It will be shared with executive leadership.
Mission
The mission of the company to fight addiction is of such importance. The staff puts an endless amount of time and energy into the patients and this mission.
January 6, 2020
Thank you for leaving your review, and for your dedication to our patients.
Terrible
This company is the most terrible place to work. It is full of uneducated jealous people. Not only does the company lack senior leadership with a brain but they are only about making a buck and themselves. They really don’t care about the patients, they are only about the money. The staff are about themselves and not their coworkers. They are non licensed and non credentialed staff delivering services
January 6, 2020
This is a troubling set of comments. I hope you've found a better match for you. If you'd like to offer more details to your general comments, please feel free to email socialmedia(AT)hazeldenbettyford(DOT)org.
Not what it once was.
This organization was once the place that employees planned on retiring from. Now the turn around is incredibly high for all positions as you can see. They are falsely stating its the best place to work to try to change that image, but don't be fooled, they can't even retain their counselors now. Both the employees and clients are nothing more than numbers.
December 9, 2019
Thank you for leaving a review. I regret that you had a negative experience. The "best place to work" initiative is a goal, not a title, that we actively are working towards. Getting and listening to feedback from employees is a necessary component of becoming a best place to work, so we are grateful for your contribution.
Great place
Great place to work. Some very smart, great people work here in all areas of the company. I feel great about working here and even proud perhaps to be part of the mission at HBFF.
December 9, 2019
Thanks for leaving your review, and thank you for all you do for our patients.
Good
Management was understanding. Work tasks weren’t what I applied for but I had to do whatever got my job done and never had any problems working with my coworkers.
December 9, 2019
Thanks for your comments, and thank you for your time helping our patients.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight