Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation Employee Reviews

Great experience
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Center City, MNAugust 24, 2018
I greatly appreciated my time at HBFF. I learned much about the drive for excellence in a fast paced environment. I understand many felt stressed about workloads and constant change, but I could see it was driven by high demands of the current healthcare environment. Tough decisions had to be made, but seemed appropriate for the long term sustainability and growth of the organization. I believe that top management truly understand the steps to be taken in such a difficult and competitive field so that the mission can prevail. In the short time I was here, I learned about what it takes to work to be the best and this is helping me in current opportunities.
Pros
Mentorship
August 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Your input is helpful to future employees and to management.

Addiction Technician (Former Employee) –  Newberg, ORAugust 11, 2018
All the staff care deeply for the clients and strive to do a good job always. A very supportive environment from all staff. Sometimes very busy for the staff on hand. If you truly want to help others this is a great place to be.
August 14, 2018

Thank you for your dedication and your service. It is good to hear that you enjoyed your time working with us and hope that you choose to return again in the future.

Overall an excellent place to work!
Varies (Former Employee) –  Rancho Mirage, CAAugust 9, 2018
I spent 20 years working at this non-profit organization. Management was receptive of career development and encouraged continuing education. The culture was competitive which allowed growth of their employees.
Pros
Too many to list.
August 20, 2018

Thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review.
Thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review.

August 14, 2018

Thank you for your 20 years of service and for your kind words in this wonderful review.

Rewarding job in addiction medicine
RN, Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rancho Mirage, CAAugust 6, 2018
Fellow co-workers are fabulous. Upper management is very disorganized. I loved working with the patients, it is a priceless gift to watch someone who is in the depths of their addiction find hope and recovery.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Health Insurance was horrible.
August 14, 2018

We appreciate all reviews, and appreciate you giving us the chance to improve by providing us with this feedback.

Amazing Place to Work
Addiction Counselor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 26, 2018
Work hard, play hard. Great work culture. Work load is pretty heavy, but co-workers, pay, and working for the best in the business is great. I've learned so much in my time here.
August 6, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. We are grateful that you choose to contribute your time and talents to our organization and mission.

Not the Hazelden of years prior
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Center City, MNJuly 12, 2018
This used to be a wonderful place to work, but after the merger with Betty Ford foundation, the introduction of a ridiculously ineffective electronic health record system, restructuring and firing of long term employees, executive management poor decision making, and overall atmosphere of fear-mongering, it was time to move on. Too many changes in too little time created too much stress for this person. I was out after working two and a half years for Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. Best decision ever!
Pros
Great co-workers and excellent benefits
Cons
Executive management clueless, too many changes
July 18, 2018

Thanks for this review. It's a tough read, but we appreciate you giving feedback that will help us better the organization in the future. The best of luck to you.

Great place to work to gain experience
Addiction Counselor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 9, 2018
Great place to work. Management is great. Pay is low. Not a lot of ability to advance with LPCC. Work hours can be quite long and here tends to be quite a bit of turnover which makes things pretty stressful.
July 18, 2018

Thanks for leaving your review. I am glad you found Hazelden Betty Ford a positive place to work, with good management. Your comments and concerns about pay, advancement opportunities, work hours, and turnover will be reviewed and addressed by leadership. Thanks for bringing your talents to work here at Hazelden Betty Ford.

Worked with many wonderful staff
Admissions & Funding Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newberg, ORJuly 5, 2018
Worked with wonderful dedicated staff whose goal was to help the patients get into and stay in recovery of drugs & alcohol. Met many wonderful patients. It was great to see them become the person they were mean't to be. Very rewarding to work with such talented and dedicated staff.
Pros
Good staff and income
Cons
not a weekday part time opportunity is available for many
July 9, 2018

Thank you for caring about our patients, and for sharing your experience.

July 18, 2018

Thank you again for taking the time to let others know about your experience.

LVN, Psych/Detox Center (Former Employee) –  Rancho Mirage, CA 92270June 20, 2018
The Betty Ford Center highly vets all employees with background checks, Life scan and drugs testing. They have an excellent training program where you follow a patient for three days and experience what it is like to live their daily routine. The patients are busy throughout the day, going from group meetings, private counseling sessions, classes taught by doctors and highly experienced teachers, medical exams, medication administration, the gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The best part is working with patients in the detox/psych unit. There you will be trained by RNs and MDs with phenomenal knowledge of recovery. You will learn much recovery and see great progress in the patients. As a nurse you will be a very close part of the patient experience as LVNs see the patients daily. The support from the community is unmatched, and the facility is respected by the best rehabs in the world.
Pros
Working with recovering paients and teaching them how to stay sober, honesty and humility encouraged
Cons
Work schedule may not be routine
July 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and sharing your experience. We are sorry you're no longer with us!

Worthwhile, but not ideal.
Mental Health Department (Former Employee) –  Center City, MNJune 18, 2018
I learned a lot while I was there; I would never say otherwise. That being said, Hazelden is a great place to be from, but not necessarily a place where you want to be.
June 27, 2018

Thanks for leaving your comments. If you would like to share more about your experience, please email us at HR(at)hazeldenbettyford.org.

best job of my life worst pay ever
Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2018
I worked under FCD Prevention Works, a part of the Hazelden Betty Ford Fdn. I loved my job as a prevention specialist, i learned and grew so much as an individual and I got to travel the world. As Hazelden started putting their foot down harder on FCD, it was definitely felt. The small opportunities for upward mobility mean becoming a team leader after a couple of years while your new colleagues make almost the same amount of money as you.

For one semester, we went from day rate (which barely pays the bills if you don't work 50+hour weeks) to hourly. my income doubled in that time. On a webinar, it was announced that we were going back to the day rate. I still don't understand it. It is impossible to keep any sort of work at home because you are always on the go, and the better you get at the work, the more work you do with no more compensation. It's just not sustainable if you want a life.
Pros
traveled the world, great professional development
Cons
pay, stress, upper management
June 27, 2018

Thanks for this feedback. It will be shared with leadership.

CD Tech
Addiction Technician (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJune 7, 2018
Addiction Technician: Facilitate and support the recovery activities of patients. Coordinate the necessary administrative tasks related to patient care. Act as a representative of treatment staff and observe patient activity and unit functions. Maintain a visible presence on the unit. Knowledge of Twelve Steps with training in chemical dependency/mental health.
Pros
12 step based
Cons
Laid off
June 27, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to explain the workings of the position. If you'd like to expand upon your star ratings, please email us at socialmedia(at)hazeldenbettyford.org.

Team work
Addiction Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2018
The team here work very hard on solution and changing the culture. It is fun and we can disagree and still have a enjoyable environment. I would recommend this place friends
Pros
Team building, training's, Pto.
Cons
Must have degrees for advancement
July 9, 2018

Thanks for leaving this honest review. We take your feedback seriously.

Management uses fear, intimidation, threats-
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Center City, MNMay 17, 2018
Many in management positions across the organization are autocratic, micro-managers, who have NO skills to lead positive change. They all talk about "change management" but uses primarily to threaten any employee who questions ANYTHING.

Many are condescending to staff - including clinical staff. Hazelden markets bright, hopeful, positive images on all materials, but that attitude is NOWHERE to be found in interactions with employees. Management is often sarcastic toward both patients and employees.

Most in management seem to think that "professionalism" means they are entitled to intimidate, threaten, humiliate, and discredit their counseling staff. Other employees are treated even worse.

Employees now have very low morale, are seldom given any positive feedback, and often told they can be fired at any moment. An increasing number of staff have cleared their offices of most personal items - now sitting ready to depart at any minute. Turnover is very high. The negative, hostile, bullying attitudes are not behaviors of healthy recovery.

If executive management does not fire most of the mid-level managers, SOON, the best employees will be gone. Perhaps that is the actual goal - then no one left will be any threat to them.

The management acts in near complete contradiction to best practices for generating a dynamic, productive, and engaged workforce.
Pros
Few
June 27, 2018

Thanks for this honest review. If you'd like to share specifics of your experience, please email HR(at)hazeldenbettyford.org; your online review will be shared with leadership.

Great place until Hazelden took over and changed working conditions
Administrative Assist/Client Service (Former Employee) –  Rancho Mirage, CAApril 29, 2018
Staff was misinformed on transition. Over 70 good. loyal staff members were let go and few remaining quit. Overall morale was 0.
Too many people working in the wrong positions. Too many managers.
May 15, 2018

Our compassionate employees are our greatest asset, and we value your feedback. Please feel free to contact us with your concerns through Fusion.

doesn't care about it's employees
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Center City, MNApril 27, 2018
This organization is executive level heavy with the mindset that this level is the only level that matters. Culture is toxic, dishonest and back stabbing.
June 27, 2018

Hi, we regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us, but would appreciate more detail. Please email us at HR(at)hazeldenbettyford.org to flesh out your feedback from working with us.

Wellness Technician/Certified Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Center City, MNApril 14, 2018
I keep very busy, and there is always friendly faces and working as a team. I have some computer work, keep track of my schedule of patients. Talking with the patients to make sure they are comfortable and their focus points for their massage.
Access to Work out facilities and pool. A very friendly atmosphere.
Pros
20 or more hours gets you part-time benefits
Cons
recent cuts have me looking for more hours.
July 9, 2018

Thanks for leaving your review, and thank you for the work you do for our patients!

A great place to work
Outpatient Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 4, 2018
Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is a world-class employer that supports the growth and development of it's employees while maintaining exceptional care of it's patients.
Pros
Large Organization with strong infrastructure
Cons
Human services field as a whole is underpaid
June 27, 2018

Thanks for this review. We appreciate your time and talents.

Passionate Colleagues
Supervisor of Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2018
Hazelden BettyFord is under going vast changes as it acquired Betty Ford. The mission has recently gone off track and senior leadership exhibits non transparent communication, more like propaganda. HOWEVER, I see this as growing pains and within the next two years I predict that the voice of all the committed social workers and support staff will have a voice again.
Pros
The People
Cons
The Leadership
May 15, 2018

Thanks for this review. We'd like to hear more about your experience and your ideas. Please email us at socialmedia(at)hazeldenbettyford(dot)org to elaborate.

If you are not someone who is an addict or been an addict you won't fit in
Employee (Former Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNMarch 7, 2018
The company itself is up on technology and state of the art training. Pay is very competitive. Staff, especially nursing, is often inappropriate towards clients who are often in their lowest state. Why not kick them while they are down? It seems that the disease of addiction is judged by the staff rather than cared for. It seems as if they take out their own issues out on the incoming clients. Most, if not all staff are in recovery, working a program, or need to. Knowing the program, I was surprised to hear how they talk to Non-recovery staff. Holiday events for staff are often mingled with actual clients also in the program. Boundaries are very blurred.
Pros
pay
Cons
not living up to the mission they preach
May 15, 2018

Thank you for your review. The issues you bring up are quite serious, and we'd very much like to learn more. Please email us at socialmedia(at)hazeldenbettyford(dot)org to elaborate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight