Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation Employee Reviews

Great mission, great people
Publishing (Current Employee) –  Center City, MNSeptember 11, 2018
The work is constantly evolving across the foundation as the field of addiction treatment changes, and the foundation changes to address it. So it's always something new here.
There are a lot of opportunities to learn and grow on the job.
Leadership makes an effort to connect with employees, communicate on a regular basis, and explain why certain decisions are made, which I appreciate.
The commute can be a drag if you don't live in the immediate area, but I feel like they make an effort to mitigate that through compensation and benefits, which are competitive...particularly for a non-profit.
I enjoy working here and enjoy my work and coworkers.
Pros
gym facilities, on-site cafeteria, generous 401k, walking trails
Cons
remote location
September 17, 2018

Thank you for leaving a review, and thank you for all you do for those accessing our addiction and recovery-related solutions through Hazelden Publishing.

Not the Hazelden of years prior
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Center City, MNJuly 12, 2018
This used to be a wonderful place to work, but after the merger with Betty Ford foundation, the introduction of a ridiculously ineffective electronic health record system, restructuring and firing of long term employees, executive management poor decision making, and overall atmosphere of fear-mongering, it was time to move on. Too many changes in too little time created too much stress for this person. I was out after working two and a half years for Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. Best decision ever!
Pros
Great co-workers and excellent benefits
Cons
Executive management clueless, too many changes
July 18, 2018

Thanks for this review. It's a tough read, but we appreciate you giving feedback that will help us better the organization in the future. The best of luck to you.

best job of my life worst pay ever
Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2018
I worked under FCD Prevention Works, a part of the Hazelden Betty Ford Fdn. I loved my job as a prevention specialist, i learned and grew so much as an individual and I got to travel the world. As Hazelden started putting their foot down harder on FCD, it was definitely felt. The small opportunities for upward mobility mean becoming a team leader after a couple of years while your new colleagues make almost the same amount of money as you.

For one semester, we went from day rate (which barely pays the bills if you don't work 50+hour weeks) to hourly. my income doubled in that time. On a webinar, it was announced that we were going back to the day rate. I still don't understand it. It is impossible to keep any sort of work at home because you are always on the go, and the better you get at the work, the more work you do with no more compensation. It's just not sustainable if you want a life.
Pros
traveled the world, great professional development
Cons
pay, stress, upper management
June 27, 2018

Thanks for this feedback. It will be shared with leadership.

Unrealistic Job Demands
Addiction Recovery Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2018
Company has acceded to insurance company dictates and has inadequate workforce facing nonsustainable workloads - a burnout factory. Patients get help, but company continually loses experienced employees.
Benefits
Cons
Unsustainable work demands, pitiful salary increases
December 19, 2018

We appreciate your time in leaving a review; we regret that your experience was so mixed and hope that you have found a satisfying new position. We are proud to be an in-network provider with most major insurance carriers so that we are able to reach more people who are struggling with addiction. We are also proud to have a caring, compassionate workforce doing the frontline work, and want to be attuned to stress, workload issues, and job satisfaction. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

job
Addiction Counselor 4 (Current Employee) –  Center City, MNOctober 26, 2018
I love my job and am only leaving to live closer to my family. I have found adequate opportunity for advancement, benefits are great, and coworkers are fantastic.
November 1, 2018

Thanks for your praise and kind comments about the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. The best of luck to you in your new chapter of life!

Rewarding job in addiction medicine
RN, Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rancho Mirage, CAAugust 6, 2018
Fellow co-workers are fabulous. Upper management is very disorganized. I loved working with the patients, it is a priceless gift to watch someone who is in the depths of their addiction find hope and recovery.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Health Insurance was horrible.
August 14, 2018

We appreciate all reviews, and appreciate you giving us the chance to improve by providing us with this feedback.

Poor management and culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 21, 2018
The management team is out of touch with the needs of the employees doing the work. They cut staff but increase the executive team. Counselors are overworked. The new program and structure is not helping the clients improve. The company is more concerned about length of stay (getting more money from the clients or insurance) than results.

Shortly after I started working for the company they changed the model/program, cut staffing to a bare minimum (not even enough staff to cover for sick calls) and began promoting the leaders (changing titles and structure at the top). They also eliminated some leaders at different sites because they disagreed with the direction of the company. Leaders are not allowed to disagree with the CEO.
Pros
Decent pay for industry and good PTO plan.
Cons
Leadership, they keep cutting benefits, poor management, poor training. Management doesn't seem to care about the patients or staff.
May 15, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The honest feedback here helps us to understand where we have room to improve. We'd very much like to hear more from you about your experience and ideas. Please feel free to email us at socialmedia(at)hazeldenbettyford(dot)org.

Great experience
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Center City, MNAugust 24, 2018
I greatly appreciated my time at HBFF. I learned much about the drive for excellence in a fast paced environment. I understand many felt stressed about workloads and constant change, but I could see it was driven by high demands of the current healthcare environment. Tough decisions had to be made, but seemed appropriate for the long term sustainability and growth of the organization. I believe that top management truly understand the steps to be taken in such a difficult and competitive field so that the mission can prevail. In the short time I was here, I learned about what it takes to work to be the best and this is helping me in current opportunities.
Pros
Mentorship
August 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Your input is helpful to future employees and to management.

Wellness Technician/Certified Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Center City, MNApril 14, 2018
I keep very busy, and there is always friendly faces and working as a team. I have some computer work, keep track of my schedule of patients. Talking with the patients to make sure they are comfortable and their focus points for their massage.
Access to Work out facilities and pool. A very friendly atmosphere.
Pros
20 or more hours gets you part-time benefits
Cons
recent cuts have me looking for more hours.
July 9, 2018

Thanks for leaving your review, and thank you for the work you do for our patients!

Great place to work with experts in the field of addiction and psychiatry
CARN-RN (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLNovember 7, 2018
Hazelden Betty Ford is a place where you can learn constantly if you want to. Their in-services, webinars, professionals are readily available to take advantage of and furthering your education is encouraged. Like other facilities in the field, Hazelden Betty Ford is feeling Financial woes and have had to make cuts in front line workers and in OT for nurses. The same amount of work is there and the same excellent care is given but with the understanding that we have to be more efficient. I really liked the knowing that therapy was evidence based and patients were informed of not just one path to recovery but options to choose from. All in all, it is a great place to work and an employer of choice.
Pros
A wealth of educational opportunities.
Cons
Large workloads.
December 19, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments, and thank you for your service. We hope that you are somewhere that you find just as much satisfaction as you did with us, and that you may come back to work with us again.

Overall an excellent place to work!
Varies (Former Employee) –  Rancho Mirage, CAAugust 9, 2018
I spent 20 years working at this non-profit organization. Management was receptive of career development and encouraged continuing education. The culture was competitive which allowed growth of their employees.
Pros
Too many to list.
August 20, 2018

Thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review.
Thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review.

August 14, 2018

Thank you for your 20 years of service and for your kind words in this wonderful review.

Rewarding work
Chemical Dependence Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2018
Easy and laid back
planned days with little differences
management has experienced some changes recently
Frequent trainings and opportunity to learn more about the field
December 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to let others know about the work experience in New York.

Amazing Place to Work
Addiction Counselor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 26, 2018
Work hard, play hard. Great work culture. Work load is pretty heavy, but co-workers, pay, and working for the best in the business is great. I've learned so much in my time here.
August 6, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. We are grateful that you choose to contribute your time and talents to our organization and mission.

Good
Telephone Donation Representative, Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Center City, MNJanuary 11, 2019
This was a temp job during the holiday season, It was a lot to learn quickly and needed to be confidential and I enjoyed it. I had to be outgoing and that made me become better for working with customers.
Pros
enjoyed the people and the work
Cons
short term
LVN, Psych/Detox Center (Former Employee) –  Rancho Mirage, CA 92270June 20, 2018
The Betty Ford Center highly vets all employees with background checks, Life scan and drugs testing. They have an excellent training program where you follow a patient for three days and experience what it is like to live their daily routine. The patients are busy throughout the day, going from group meetings, private counseling sessions, classes taught by doctors and highly experienced teachers, medical exams, medication administration, the gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The best part is working with patients in the detox/psych unit. There you will be trained by RNs and MDs with phenomenal knowledge of recovery. You will learn much recovery and see great progress in the patients. As a nurse you will be a very close part of the patient experience as LVNs see the patients daily. The support from the community is unmatched, and the facility is respected by the best rehabs in the world.
Pros
Working with recovering paients and teaching them how to stay sober, honesty and humility encouraged
Cons
Work schedule may not be routine
July 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and sharing your experience. We are sorry you're no longer with us!

Corrupted Now
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Center City, MNFebruary 28, 2018
This used to be the “golden nugget” of all treatment centers and places to work; however, it has done a complete 180. It is trying to keep face in the community while it has already crumbled and rotted from the inside. Everyone who has a negative review in the last 2 years is SPOT ON. I almost think it’s posers coming on here to post the good ratings just to help keep their facade going. Management is terrible. The company is too heavy in the sense all the $ goes to creating move executives and promoting current managers to better pay and titles, with no growth opps for anyone else. The managers have gotten away with rude and unbelievable actions, and then tell those below them, “HR is my friend, so good luck!” and the sad thing is, it’s true! If you start to ask questions or want to broaden your experiences across departments, they won’t let you bc they have so many secrets to hide. My review was several pages scoring 3s and 4s with specific examples, yet my end average was a 2 without any explaination; therefore, I couldn’t get much of a raise. They claim to be investing in their leaders, yet the leaders are so overworked patching holes and covering tracks, that they are all going against their own values with fake smiles bc they are paid so much and afraid they would otherwise be the next one walked out without notice or respect. They use certain principles that basically tell them not to let their bad employees know they are bad bc then they will be less productive, and not to let their good employees know they are good bc then they will demand more $ and opportunities and  more... stop trying to do better. Word is getting out that they are not their old reputation, and I hope they can turn it back around (which has been described by a director that it would be like turning around a huge steam boat I n a narrow river). This leader also likes to say that they implement new models as “ready, fire, aim” as in they don’t aim or plan before starting a whole new way of working. People stay here bc they know what it used to be like, bc of pay, or bc they don’t want to drive to the cities for work.  less
Pros
Coffee, food, benefits, pay for area
Cons
Poor Management, minimal job security, financial struggles
March 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. When decisions are made at the top many factors come into play. One of them is the way it will impact all of our employees. We often have to make long term business decisions that could have negative implications in the short term. If you bear with us during our time of growth, I believe that our whole organization will feel positive impact. I’d be happy to discuss any other feedback you may have. Please email us at askmark@hazeldenbettyford.org.

Great place to work to gain experience
Addiction Counselor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 9, 2018
Great place to work. Management is great. Pay is low. Not a lot of ability to advance with LPCC. Work hours can be quite long and here tends to be quite a bit of turnover which makes things pretty stressful.
July 18, 2018

Thanks for leaving your review. I am glad you found Hazelden Betty Ford a positive place to work, with good management. Your comments and concerns about pay, advancement opportunities, work hours, and turnover will be reviewed and addressed by leadership. Thanks for bringing your talents to work here at Hazelden Betty Ford.

A great place to work
Outpatient Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 14, 2018
World class service AND non-profit. In a time where treatment centers are under scrutiny, HBFF holds true to our mission and values, making it a great place to work.
Pros
Autonomy and teamwork
Cons
No free lunch
December 19, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave the review, and for all that you do for our patients and their loved ones!

Management uses fear, intimidation, threats-
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Center City, MNMay 17, 2018
Many in management positions across the organization are autocratic, micro-managers, who have NO skills to lead positive change. They all talk about "change management" but uses primarily to threaten any employee who questions ANYTHING.

Many are condescending to staff - including clinical staff. Hazelden markets bright, hopeful, positive images on all materials, but that attitude is NOWHERE to be found in interactions with employees. Management is often sarcastic toward both patients and employees.

Most in management seem to think that "professionalism" means they are entitled to intimidate, threaten, humiliate, and discredit their counseling staff. Other employees are treated even worse.

Employees now have very low morale, are seldom given any positive feedback, and often told they can be fired at any moment. An increasing number of staff have cleared their offices of most personal items - now sitting ready to depart at any minute. Turnover is very high. The negative, hostile, bullying attitudes are not behaviors of healthy recovery.

If executive management does not fire most of the mid-level managers, SOON, the best employees will be gone. Perhaps that is the actual goal - then no one left will be any threat to them.

The management acts in near complete contradiction to best practices for generating a dynamic, productive, and engaged workforce.
Pros
Few
June 27, 2018

Thanks for this honest review. If you'd like to share specifics of your experience, please email HR(at)hazeldenbettyford.org; your online review will be shared with leadership.

Great coworkers
Post-doctoral Psychology Resident (Current Employee) –  Newberg, OROctober 15, 2018
I really loved my department and the wonderful people I worked with. A lot of healing happens at Hazelden, and largely it is because of how much the staff care about their clients and about recovery.
October 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. If you'd like to share more information, please feel free to email us at socialmedia@hazeldenbettyford.org.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight