HBO Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Winter is coming!
Full Stack Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
HBO is an interesting company in that it's very corporate, despite producing an entertainment product. The work differs from team to team, but in general HBO tech is two steps behind the industry standard due to some business decisions made by the company years ago.
Pros
Good PTO, not long hours
Cons
No new tech, weak systems in place, not too much growth
Hey - it's HBO!
Senior typesetter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2018
Generally fun and challenging (depending on where you're situated). Company seeks to promote and reward initiative, but this can vary depending on management.
Creative Company & Diverse
Operations & Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2018
The best job culture, very diverse and inclusive. As an Admin you'd be responsible for providing administrative support to the Directors/VP of the department - Sports, Wellness, Digital, Marketing, Film etc. Most position responsibilities include but not limited to providing support to managers and executives.
HBO was once a great place to work
Encoding Coordinator & Digital Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYApril 3, 2018
When i first began working at HBO in 2003 it was a great family friendly place to work. They would really go out of their way to stand by their employees.

In recent years a corporate mentality seeped in and forced myself and many others out after many years of service.

In my area the director behind my departure is now gone, but the manager and supervisor remain so its a mixed bag.

Overall i would recommend HBO as a decent place to work.
Senior Vice President Research (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2018
Fast paced environment where excellence is always expected. As with any mature corporation, politics are present and some managers are put in placed for other reasons than merit.

In spite of these problems, my considerable time at HBO was very rewarding and I was proud of the content that we put on the air. As a whole, people are very professional and very bright.
Productive fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2018
It has collegial environment with opportunities for the right person. It attracts many creative people who want to work there in any capacity. There is a cafeteria on the premises.
Pros
Cafeteria on the premises
Cons
competitive
Soul-Crushing
Producer/Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2018
Slowing eroding culture, executives lost in the disrupted industry, rampant fear, scarcity, and divisive competition. Lots of petty high school drama and no growth opportunities.
Eh
Sales Development Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
Most people assume working for HBO is a lot of glitz and glam. It's not. These are corporate positions.

I was able to switch departments there, but it truly is a rarity.

It's an uneasy environment since no one knows the future of television and there's a lot of new competition
If you liked solitude, this was a great job
Corporate Waiter (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 31, 2018
I enjoyed working here while I was employed but the hours were weird and sometimes had last minute cancellations. I was left on my own most of the time. I worked alone with just a chef . I took care of 6 rooms of various sizes and could serve breakfast/lunches from 2 clients up to 50.
Pros
Free lunches/ dinners, meeting actors and producers
Cons
the hours
Competitive and contradictory atmosphere
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2018
Could be your best or your worst job. Atmosphere rewards insincerity and competition, where office politics are - direct quote -
more important than your work. Some managers are exceptional, some are miserable, as with every company.

With the right people in the right department, I can see working for HBO as a dream job. But finding that atmosphere seems an unlikely crapshoot.
Great work environment!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Very relaxed and comfortable place to work! As long as you got your work done there was no problem. HBO is a very competitive environment and its to be expected. All in all I would've loved to stay with them if life didn't get in the way.
Executive Account Assistant (Former Employee) –  Radnor, PAJanuary 22, 2018
This was my dream job and I would have retired from this company had I not been laid off. They provided great salary, benefits, time off, outings and a culture for learning.
Pros
Salary, benefits, people, flexibility
Fun place to wrk
Retail Affiliate Sales and Training Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
Typical day were meetings and trainings
I learned about sales and training
Management was collaborative
The hardest part was leaning to work virtually
The most enjoyable part of the job were meetings and working with affiliates
Pros
feeebees
Fun filled location outside.
Oracle DBA Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2018
There will be all kinds of times and experience during work.
It takes time to understand the culture and move on.
There may be learning scope, but might have short or no ladder to climb.
not all departments created equal
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 10, 2017
Horrible management in certain departments
Hr doesn’t care for the employees and let’s managers get away with it. Revolving door and complaints and nothing is ever done. If you work in a nice department you might be lucky to enjoy a career there
Won’t move up unless you are a kiss up
Loyalty and hard work is unseen
Pros
Vacation starts off with 3 weeks. Nice coworkers
Cons
Horrible management and hr
Great work life balance!
Executive Assistant, Media Technology (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2017
Management is the best in the business. Relaxed working environment. Fantastic gym and bistro. Cares about employees health and company is family oriented.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No career advancement
Wonderful place to work
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2017
I loved working at HBO. The people were wonderful and the supervisors were always open to answering questions and teaching if asked. My boss became a friend, because of her warmth and kindness, and willing to help me succeed, even if it meant losing me as an Executive Assistant.
Pros
Unlimited sick days, amazing benefits, excellent people, beautiful office in a great location.
Cons
Sometimes in the summer, the air conditioning was on a bit high, so it got cold in the office!
Good work/life balance - interesting online content
Software Test Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 30, 2017
A relaxed, inclusive environment with many different opportunities to preview upcoming shows and other content. Good ergonomic equipment and good technical support.
Productive Workplace
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2017
A typical work day is knowing what is expected and getting it done. I was given clear guidelines and the given the freedom to accomplish. I am grateful for the experience.
Pros
Freebies, premiers, great atmosphere
Cons
short lunch
stressful environment experiencing culture changes
Senior Network Engineer/Network Architect (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2017
Stressful environment experiencing culture changes. I would not advise anyone to work here under the existing management structure. The executive branch is much more relaxed than the broadcast side.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HBO. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

73out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at HBO.

Powered by Comparably