HBO Employee Reviews

Overall cool people
Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2018
Crazy meeting schedule, but it necessary to work across cross-disciplinary teams. The benefits are good, just have to make sure to take advantage of it.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Work-life balance is hard to achieve in certain departments
Not recommended
Desktop and Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 19, 2018
As a help desk and tech support my job was to install new softwares and do repairs if necessary and also provide employees with new advanced laptops. I strongly believe that my work was not appreciated nor was I properly trained for the position or given enough time to fix an issue especially being that the travel time from client to client was a great distance to where I was stationed.
Pros
Great hourly start
Cons
No appreciation for employees and pay isn't fair by experience.
Fun place to work
Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 16, 2018
There were plenty of opportunities to grow and meet very important people of all creeds and ethnicity. The pay was OK and the environment was professional for the most part.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Well, it's like this
Security Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2018
It's really not the job but some of the people. The thought of working for HBO is immense to some. They get this unabashed feeling of omnipotence that is undeserved. Like living in a plastic bubble and not understanding that reality is just outside the walls of HBO. HBO is a great place to work, just stay grounded.
Pros
Networking, magnificent learning experience, many perks...
Cons
Egos
Not much to day, but love to work in HBO
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
HBO is helping me to build my IT professional career, I've have lots of opportunities to attend training, conference events, and it's fun to work there.
A new and wonderful experience
Extra Background Actress (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 23, 2018
Working with HBO was a joy. I was able to make a dream come true. I made many friends, whom I still have contact with. I love them all they are great people that believe in supporting one another.
Media company that recognizes that it is a technology company too
TECHNICAL LEADER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2018
Awesome leadership. If you are the curious type that constantly researches new and upcoming technologies in the media space, this is the place to be, you will be very happy here. I worked there for 14 years and never had a reason to complain.
Pros
Open to cutting edge technologies
Hbo
Business Affairs and Legal Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
I absolutely love working at HBO throughout my months here I have gained skills and insight that is not taught in college. My typical day consist of managing and updating department files on excel as well as assisting with small contract agreements. Along with that I meet with production the team at a round table with the producers and we discuss budgets and deadlines for the content we plan on putting out in the future. I then meet with Digital marketing team and we review marketing plans and strategies so we can reach our target audiences. I then report to my supervisor and we go over everything in depth while we both converse and make suggestions where we can improve.
Workplace culture is what drives the HBO brand as CEO Richard Plepler preaches, "Culture eats strategy for breakfast." Safe to say that is completely true over the many years of premium content we have put out and the number of awards we have won. Strategy is just a piece to what goes into it all, but the culture is what holds it together.
The hardest part about the my job title at the moment is not being able to do more as an intern I would like to take on even bigger projects and hold more responsibility because I know I can do more for the company.
The most enjoyable part about working for HBO is saying I work for "HBO" going into work knowing that what I do inside the building that stands in the middle of time square could ultimate be used, while also working on collaborative projects that come into fruition.
Amazing workplace, Highly Recommend
Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 18, 2018
HBO is such an amazing place to work. The employees are extremely friendly and there is a strong sense of team spirit in terms of helping everyone around you succeed. There's also a strong sense of community that makes every day of work great.
Pros
Great Company Culture, Respects the Art of Storytelling
Winter is coming!
Full Stack Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
HBO is an interesting company in that it's very corporate, despite producing an entertainment product. The work differs from team to team, but in general HBO tech is two steps behind the industry standard due to some business decisions made by the company years ago.
Pros
Good PTO, not long hours
Cons
No new tech, weak systems in place, not too much growth
Hey - it's HBO!
Senior typesetter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2018
Generally fun and challenging (depending on where you're situated). Company seeks to promote and reward initiative, but this can vary depending on management.
Creative Company & Diverse
Operations & Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 6, 2018
The best job culture, very diverse and inclusive. As an Admin you'd be responsible for providing administrative support to the Directors/VP of the department - Sports, Wellness, Digital, Marketing, Film etc. Most position responsibilities include but not limited to providing support to managers and executives.
HBO was once a great place to work
Encoding Coordinator & Digital Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYApril 3, 2018
When i first began working at HBO in 2003 it was a great family friendly place to work. They would really go out of their way to stand by their employees.

In recent years a corporate mentality seeped in and forced myself and many others out after many years of service.

In my area the director behind my departure is now gone, but the manager and supervisor remain so its a mixed bag.

Overall i would recommend HBO as a decent place to work.
Senior Vice President Research (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 15, 2018
Fast paced environment where excellence is always expected. As with any mature corporation, politics are present and some managers are put in placed for other reasons than merit.

In spite of these problems, my considerable time at HBO was very rewarding and I was proud of the content that we put on the air. As a whole, people are very professional and very bright.
Productive fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2018
It has collegial environment with opportunities for the right person. It attracts many creative people who want to work there in any capacity. There is a cafeteria on the premises.
Pros
Cafeteria on the premises
Cons
competitive
Soul-Crushing
Producer/Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2018
Slowing eroding culture, executives lost in the disrupted industry, rampant fear, scarcity, and divisive competition. Lots of petty high school drama and no growth opportunities.
Eh
Sales Development Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
Most people assume working for HBO is a lot of glitz and glam. It's not. These are corporate positions.

I was able to switch departments there, but it truly is a rarity.

It's an uneasy environment since no one knows the future of television and there's a lot of new competition
If you liked solitude, this was a great job
Corporate Waiter (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 31, 2018
I enjoyed working here while I was employed but the hours were weird and sometimes had last minute cancellations. I was left on my own most of the time. I worked alone with just a chef . I took care of 6 rooms of various sizes and could serve breakfast/lunches from 2 clients up to 50.
Pros
Free lunches/ dinners, meeting actors and producers
Cons
the hours
Competitive and contradictory atmosphere
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2018
Could be your best or your worst job. Atmosphere rewards insincerity and competition, where office politics are - direct quote -
more important than your work. Some managers are exceptional, some are miserable, as with every company.

With the right people in the right department, I can see working for HBO as a dream job. But finding that atmosphere seems an unlikely crapshoot.
Great work environment!
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Very relaxed and comfortable place to work! As long as you got your work done there was no problem. HBO is a very competitive environment and its to be expected. All in all I would've loved to stay with them if life didn't get in the way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HBO. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight