HDR Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good company
Ports & Harbors Structural EIT (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 21, 2018
Good employee-owned organization that provides engineers and scientist a conducive environment to excel and be the best they can be while making an impact on the built environment
People were great, culture was cold and corporate
Commissioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonds, WAJune 18, 2018
Smart people are in abundance here, but I never fully felt like part of the team. I also never felt I had proper work load or direction. Everything felt like it had to come from Omaha. It was not a great fit for me, hut for someone who thrives in structure, it is a good place.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Cold culture, lack of direction
Fun place
Associate Accountant-AR (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 8, 2018
HDR is a fun professional place to work. flexible hours, management style was good. Easy going, willing to help you learn as you go. On-going training, promotes within.
Pros
promotes within
Toxic
Federal Subcontracts Supervisor/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 5, 2018
I found the environment here to be very toxic, I have never worked in such a toxic workplace before. The management was not supportive of growth or helpilng employees at all
Productive and positive work place
Administrative Office Support / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2018
A typical day at work is fast paced! I learned how to be the best administrative assistant that I am today. The management team is wonderful. They go above and beyond to insure you have what you need to effectively do your job. There really wasn't anything hard about the job and the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Pros
discounts were offered at many different places
Environment is relaxed and very collaborative
High School Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2018
During my summer internship at HDR, a fellow classmate and I learned a lot about working at an engineering environment and what do their jobs consist of. Being in this program helped motivate me to pursue a career in the architecture field.
Pros
Excellent management and coworkers.
60 to 70 hour work weeks
Sr. Project Controller (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 15, 2018
60 to 70 hour work weeks - worked nights and weekends to keep up with deadlines, not able to take PTO due to demanding deadlines and not able to take lunches or breaks.
Pros
Free lunches (sometimes)
Cons
Long hours & not able to take PTO due to deadlines
Fantastic culture and leadership
Rail Project Manager and Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 14, 2018
HDR is a great place to work due to the people and atmosphere. The work is meaningful and you have adequate tools to perform. The only draw back is there are very few offices (mostly cubes) - an industry norm.
Great Place For Career Advancement
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  NY,NYMay 12, 2018
All companies are not perfect but I have to say HDR is pretty darn close. They provide mentorship, opportunity to not just work locally but nationally to get more exposure and gain technical knowledge. They have great managers and technical staff to help you not only learn the technical skills you need to advance your career but also provide you the opportunity (if you want it) to become a project manager and beyond.

Too bad my husband got a job out of state and had to move. Would have loved to stay!
Pros
Career advancement, each office has a small firm feel, great people
Cons
Productive and great place to work.
Receptionist / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 2, 2018
A fantastic place to work, very professional and provides a great work environment. Encourages individuals to work independently, very informative on company policies and standards of business.
Pros
Beautiful Office, Monthly Staff Luncheons, Competitive Salaries
Cons
Fun place to be with good people.
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 28, 2018
I really enjoyed my internship at HDR. The people there were nice and my mentor was more than helpful. I learned a lot about the engineering field and what would be expected of me if i was to become a full tie engineer at the company.
Support Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 18, 2018
Lack of career advancement options without relocation was the only reason I left. Headquarters was located in another state and most jobs with advancement forced you to move near by.
Large Global Engineering Firm
Civil Designer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28202April 17, 2018
Large Global Engineering Firm, so not big on private land development. In other words, you wont be designing projects such as subdivisions, retail, etc. For the most part projects consist of large government projects and commercial and industrial private projects.
Dont let HDR be your final career move
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2018
HDR has poor management and little guidance on trying to advance in the workplace. I compare it to a sweatshop as they over work people and do not compensate them accordingly. They don't value people in the work place; that is why the turnover is so high. (especially in marketing). I worked within the marketing department. Make note marketing within an Engineering firm is very different from how marketing business is conducted at other companies. If you take a job within marketing at HDR think of it as a glorified administrative position. The hardest part of the job is working with project managers/client managers because most of them are inexperienced and more than half the time your chasing people down to do their own job.
This is a good company to get some experience under your belt, make connections/relationships within. But this is not a place where you want to stay for too long and get stuck; because their is little growth and advancement. This can be a high stressful environment.
Pros
Free Lunch, co workers were great
Cons
micromanager, no career advancement
Awesome
Survey Intern (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 8, 2018
I learned a lot during my internship at HDR inc. My coworkers were very helpful by teaching me the necessary information that I need to do my job right.
I enjoyed working for HDR
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 3, 2018
HDR is a great company to work for whether you are starting your career or coming in as a seasoned engineer. They work a wide range of projects and usually manage to keep their employees busy with intriguing work. Management is patient but assertive and they don't mind training when they have the time. They expect results but treat their engineers fairly.
The company suffered a nationwide slow down and I was laid off, unfortunately. I feel I left on good terms with HDR and I look forward to crossing paths with them again the small world of Civil Engineering.
Pros
Intriguing work, large projects, competitive pay, well staffed with helpful peers.
It was a good first job
Projectwise Regional Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 29, 2018
First real job out of college. Towards the end there, the management had changed and so did the culture. Everyone in IT feared for their job on a daily basis.
OK place to work
Project Manager / Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 23, 2018
The Minneapolis office of HDR generally treats employees well. It is a large legacy firm and as such is not particularly innovative. It survives on it's historical clients and connection.
A typical day at HDR.
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 22, 2018
A typical day at HDR, it was fun a good learning environment.
Management was okay.
Very diverse.
There was no hard parts of the job.
Everything was enjoyable, if I had the chance I would do it all over again, with small changes.
Great colleagues and endeavor to stay ahead
Senior Transportation, Infrastructure Economist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2018
HDR's economic and finance office is great for those who are interested in enlarging economics and finance analytical skills especially in transportation and related infrastructure. Enjoyed working with many good, intelligent colleagues. However, remunerative benefits need to be adjusted for staff for they are far below the market rate, especially in MD or DC area.