HDR Culture reviews

Na
Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEFebruary 27, 2019
good group of engineers and architects working together as a team to better mankind and the world. a good place to grow and develop as an individual and member of society.
fast pace casual work enviornment
Mail Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 28, 2018
I would recommend them and worked for them for 4 years and loved the work environment and my co workers and we all worked as a team daily. Management was always their for me.
Pros
Always caring about there emloyees
Cons
eliminated my position
Tons of technical talent, great culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 4, 2018
HDR is a great place to work. The culture is positive, they provide opportunities for growth and seem invested in your professional development. The employee-ownership really contributes to its culture.
Pros
Brilliant colleagues, on-site fitness classes, flexible hours, training available
HDR -- Big Company, Every Division Is Different
Marketing and Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 29, 2018
HDR was a great place for me to work, but then there are many HDR offices around the country, and even in the headquarters in Virginia, where I worked, there were so many individual divisions, each with its own unique mix fo management/personality styles, that it's impossible to give an overall rating. Having said that, the corporate culture, in general, was a productive one conducive to great work.
Excellent
CADD Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2018
Very organized, great staff of knowledgeable individuals. The Benefits were great, the pay competitive. Great working environment. The Upper management treated everyone with respect and one felt at home.
Pros
No complaints
Cons
None what so ever
Great place to work, however alot of favoritism
Senior Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 21, 2018
Excellent benefits, great work environment for the mostpart. A lot of clicks and favoritism by management and HR. Mostly wonderful people to work with. Few bad apples make it unenjoyable.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Favoritism, politics
Enjoyable work environment and culture, interesting project work
Water Section Manager & Client Development Lead (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 6, 2018
HDR is an excellent company that I enjoy working for. It has grown significantly since I started and the bureaucracy is starting to catch up, but it's a good company with a good culture and good people to work with.
Pros
flexible schedule, interesting projects
Cons
heightened focus on utilization, variable compensation among peers
I had some good years
Receptionist/ Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 2, 2018
The best part of this job was the people and clients who became my family.
The hardest part was leaving the way they did it.
'Sorry your job is eliminated, pack up and we will escort you out'
10 minutes later you are gone!
Corporate Culture......
People were great, culture was cold and corporate
Commissioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonds, WAJune 18, 2018
Smart people are in abundance here, but I never fully felt like part of the team. I also never felt I had proper work load or direction. Everything felt like it had to come from Omaha. It was not a great fit for me, hut for someone who thrives in structure, it is a good place.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Cold culture, lack of direction
Productive and positive work place
Administrative Office Support / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2018
A typical day at work is fast paced! I learned how to be the best administrative assistant that I am today. The management team is wonderful. They go above and beyond to insure you have what you need to effectively do your job. There really wasn't anything hard about the job and the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Pros
discounts were offered at many different places
Productive and great place to work.
Receptionist / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 2, 2018
A fantastic place to work, very professional and provides a great work environment. Encourages individuals to work independently, very informative on company policies and standards of business.
Pros
Beautiful Office, Monthly Staff Luncheons, Competitive Salaries
Awesome
Survey Intern (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 8, 2018
I learned a lot during my internship at HDR inc. My coworkers were very helpful by teaching me the necessary information that I need to do my job right.
I enjoyed working for HDR
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 3, 2018
HDR is a great company to work for whether you are starting your career or coming in as a seasoned engineer. They work a wide range of projects and usually manage to keep their employees busy with intriguing work. Management is patient but assertive and they don't mind training when they have the time. They expect results but treat their engineers fairly.
The company suffered a nationwide slow down and I was laid off, unfortunately. I feel I left on good terms with HDR and I look forward to crossing paths with them again the small world of Civil Engineering.
Pros
Intriguing work, large projects, competitive pay, well staffed with helpful peers.
It was a good first job
Projectwise Regional Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 29, 2018
First real job out of college. Towards the end there, the management had changed and so did the culture. Everyone in IT feared for their job on a daily basis.
A typical day at HDR.
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 22, 2018
A typical day at HDR, it was fun a good learning environment.
Management was okay.
Very diverse.
There was no hard parts of the job.
Everything was enjoyable, if I had the chance I would do it all over again, with small changes.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Area Support Manager, IT Support Services (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 29, 2018
For me, personally, the most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked along side. Everyone was quick to just in and help out when needed.
Great Company but it all depends on what office you work.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  MarylandJanuary 14, 2018
Great company going in the right direction. Different offices management culture kills it. The company is employee own so it makes feel that you are doing the work for the client and you.
Everyday Life with HDR
Sr. IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 18, 2017
A staff of 5 supported 700 customers throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee thru desktop support, remote control and phone support.
I was able to advance my career doing hands on training.
All of the IT Staff reported to the management at the corporate office in Omaha, NE
The culture in the South Atlantic was very diversified.
The most difficult part of the position was listening very carefully to the customer so as to not make their experience more stressful.
The best part of the job was getting to know my customers and interact with them accordingly.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Not enough staff to be able to support out region effectively
Relaxed professional atmosphere
Senior Consultant/Environmental Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 19, 2017
My fellow co-workers are friendly and professional in working with each other. Culture at HDR is very conducive to develop young professionals; My manger is hands off and lets you do your work.
A great engineering company
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 12, 2017
A well managed (at the corporate level) engineering company that presents numerous rewarding opportunities to expand the professionals' experience. The policies that are implemented corporate wide in order to maintain compliance with federal contracting requirements can wear you down. But I surmise this is true among all comparatively large engineering firms doing work for the federal government. The time it takes for the culture of an acquisition to be transformed into a culture resembling the corporate values coming out of Omaha is stubbornly long.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HDR. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight