Head Injury Association Employee Reviews

2.6
Ratings breakdown
Do not work here!!!
Light Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYMay 18, 2018
Please do not work there . Yes the money is OK but it is a stressful agency to work for. the safety and well being of staff is not their priority. They make it seem like this is a good agency. To save yourself stress and a headache please don't work here
Fun place to work
Day Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYApril 25, 2018
I really enjoyed this job. My favorite part of it was teaching. I taught all sorts of subjects from Spanish to Physics and it is a pleasure to work with individuals who are at the cognitive level where they can appreciate such things.
Pros
higher functioning individuals
Cons
low pay
Enjoyed working for the agency, a lot of great experience and the clients were wonderful and fun.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
Great agency and great people there, come in and embrace the day, at he end of the day, the clients are happy and safe. Learn a lot at Head Injury and good experience.
Build Your Career, Start Here
Community Habilitations Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYApril 3, 2018
Had it not been for relocating to another state (and consequently changing careers) I would have very well retired here! Which is saying something, since I started at 18 years old! The managers, the co-workers, the environment was fantastic. The schedule was flexible, they not only allowed for me to change my schedule for school, but actually encouraged it! This company prides itself on treating their employees with respect and there is a great room for growth and advancement in a myriad of different directions. I wish I still worked here today!
Dont work here
Day program specialist (New Horizons) (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYFebruary 3, 2018
I've worked many agencies but this one is the worst. You are treated horrible. There is no job security at all. They will fire you or put you under investigation for nothing. They have their favorite staff and if they don't like you your going to go through he'll. If you get hurt on the job they will keep you in the room where you got hurt, they don't care about staff's feelings or health. It's all about the money, each individual is a money sign. The pay may be higher then other agencies but it's not worth it. Be forwarded don't work here. If the individuals don't get you fired by false allegations the staff will.
Pros
Benefits and the individuals
Cons
Poor management, no job security, favoritism
Would Recommend
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJanuary 30, 2018
A great place to grow and develop professionally the Head Injury Association offers a fantastic opportunity with great flexibility on hours. I would recommended an applicant to HIA
Dangerous
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJanuary 28, 2018
Don't do it. They have people here should be confined to a hospital mental ward. They don't care its all about money.Work hard for nothing and your coworkers are lazy.A girl was assaulted and her coworker watched and did nothing.
Easy going
Independent Living Skills Trainer (P/T) (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJanuary 23, 2018
I really enjoy working at HIA. Very comfortable and professional work environment. I work independently and do not have to go to the office often, but when I do everyone is always so nice.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Travel long commute
Good people, bad work culture
DEPT OF HEALTH SERVICE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJanuary 10, 2018
I've worked at HIA for many years and the culture there is hostile and uncomfortable. Management is less than effective and there are limited options for advancement. Staff overturns quite often due to the environment which is already stressful due to dealing with the clients we serve and their families who can be very demanding
Pros
Friendly staff and co-workers
Cons
Low pay for the amount of work, especially in relation to how much staff makes for the company.
Terrible company
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  St. James, NYJanuary 8, 2018
You are just a number to them, they don’t care about who you are as a person. Terrible upper management, long days. No consequences for calling out so staff calls out all the time.
terrible
Day Program Specialist/Com Hab Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYDecember 5, 2017
this company is terrible bad company organization is horrible the people here are terrible as well I would not recommend this organization to anyone please people becareful
Horrible pay
Assistant Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYNovember 3, 2017
I'm doing the job of 4 people and getting paid less than 35k a year with a bachelors. The CEO gets half a million dollars a year. More than any other non profit CEO on Long Island.
The work is fair.
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NY 11788October 11, 2017
The work is ever changing, due to changes in policy. i've several new skills incuding ndependent living skills trainer, and positive behavior specilist. the culture is mix, middle management can be very inviting and supportive. the hardest part of the job, is the limited resources to assist participants. the most enjoyable is the appreciation received from participants.
Pros
in the field and able to make your own schedule
Cons
heavy caseloads
Do Not Work Here!!!!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYOctober 1, 2017
Horrible upper management. They will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat.The CEO is an overpaid bully that everryone is scared off. She is always yelling at someone. Residential Department has poor leadership and the department is a complete reflection of that. The agency refuses to learn new ideas instead they expect you to follow the status quote. If you don't they will find any reason to get rid of you. There is no job security and no loyalty.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Upper Mansgment, Ceo
You Gotta love what you do
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYSeptember 13, 2017
It's never a boring day. The guys are great and management can be more helpful, however there a few great ones. Yet there always one that makes everyone look bad.
Very stressful place to work
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJuly 24, 2017
Head Injury is a very stressful place to work. Vacation days are accumaleted by the hours you work. As management you are often forced to work double shifts. As assistant program manager the pay was good.
Pros
good salary for assistant management. Program managers salaried no overtime pay granted.
Cons
very stressful. CEO is unreasonable.
Direct Support Professional
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJuly 10, 2017
This job helped me so much throughout the time I was there. It helped me problem solving, interpersonal and planning skills. It also helped me learn how to work independently and also as a team player.
Amazing clients, horrible management
Medical Counselor/Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJune 22, 2017
When I got hired I told them about my grandmother being on hospice, she ended up passing and I had to take 3 days bereavement then I got strep and was told I had to take off so I didn't get anyone else sick then had to take 1 day off to take care of tickets because my position was mainly driving . After taking my client who was wheel chair bound WHO has a history of NEVER trying to stand up to the dentist and popping my head in to tell them we were there because we ran late, they put me under investigation and obviously didn't find anything I did wrong but still terminated me. I always worked over time, came in when I had off and covered shifts at other residents. Completely devistated still 2 years later for this. Very unfair. Clients are the best ones I ever had!! I. Higher ups are very stuck up. Good pay though
Pros
Good starting pay, good hours, amazing clients
Cons
Treated unfairly, poor management, stuck up attitudes with staff
Very little training
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJune 15, 2017
So much training is required and they expect so much out of the gate even when they say they don't. 40 individuals on a caseload. It's not fair to the coordinator or the individuals. No one gets the attention they deserve. I feel guilty for bad, but I found myself constantly racing around like a racehorse all day every day and never caught up.
Do not apply here!!
Dps (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYFebruary 6, 2017
I worked for HIA for a year and a half and most times working I wish I didn't. The managers and head manager are clueless on how to run the place. Once hired there is no training involved. They toss you in a room and expect you to teach a class of 14-18 screaming clients on subjects you know nothing about. While taking clients to the bathroom every 15min (no exaggeration). There is no structure... everyone goes and comes as they please and it's your responsibility if a client leaves your class (because most are suicidal or fall prone) even though you can't leave the other 13-17 clients you have alone. That's no even the worst part... You have notes to do before you leave everyday. Your responsible for writing notes for all the clients in your group (13-17people)2 paragraphs each on what they did that day, and doing other employees notes who called out(which was everyday).They made us lie on the OPWDD and DOH notes saying we know what a client did even though we weren't assigned to that client all day. Most days were stressful from that to breaking up fights to trying to ask managment for help but them doing nothing about it. I was harassed and discrimination by management constantly for no reason until it lead me to quit. The reason I stayed for so long was the client's...You get so attached to each of them and you love a part of each in a different way. Despite they're mental issues I never worked with such an amazing group of clients. It hurts to know they're not in good hands. By me being so limited to just writing 150words I can't fully express my experience there.
Pros
Amazing clients
Cons
Everything else