Health Research Incorporated Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor Management
Eligibility Determination Clerk (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 27, 2017
Like the other reviewers, there is no room for growth and leadership was very poor. The supervisors tend to find the negative in everything. I once asked for help in completing a task (was out sick, did not want to miss a deadline and thought I was being forthcoming) and was written up for it. They promote a hostile work environment and most definitely pitted employees against each other. Lastly, there was always some sort of donation or charity event going on and if you did not participated, you were alienated. Some employees could not afford to participate in every event.
Busy work
Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Menands, NYOctober 24, 2017
It's a day of following rules and working on your work, making sure you are seated at your desk on time and pay attention to detail. It's a good place to learn new things and there are nice people to work with you, but do not be late or have issues with getting to work.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Easily let go - no warnings
You need luck to survive !
Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 8, 2017
HRI is a human resource company. You will work with staffs from Dept. of Health. In CEH, your need to be promoted to Research Scientist 2 in a few years if you want to stay there.
Quiet and peaceful workplace.
Clerk 1 (Current Employee) –  Menands, NYJune 6, 2017
It's mostly independent work. I learned how to relax and to read instruction thoroughly so I can process the work well. The environment and the culture is awesome. I don't have any problem with my job or my bosses. The hardest part is communication, only because I am deaf. But, it is ok. I love my job and I have nothing to complain about. I enjoy working all day, by myself all day. At the end of the day, I make my boss happy.
Decent grant funded employmant
Senior Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  DAI Albany, NYSeptember 27, 2016
The most enjoyable part of this job is the different technologies I have been introduced to. I have also done a number of other tasks, including working with computer programs.
benefits
Cons
temporary employment dependent on annual grant funding
Keyboard Specialist - Administrative Aide (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYDecember 7, 2015
Great co-workers
Great pay and benefits
Great on the job training
Opportunity for advancement
The most enjoyable part of the job was public health
job security
Pros
Job security
Cons
short lunch
very strong IT platform with cutting edge tech stack for software development
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 5, 2015
Mainly work on developing web applications with Java, also maintain GIS server and geocoding web services, work closely with DBAs and develop SQL statements. Writing facility scripts to make all kinds of daily job easier, such as creating tools to monitor applications, data cleansing, customized geocoding tools, etc.

Learned java language, web development (including HTTP protocol, css, javascript) , Spring framework, web services development, database admin, general GIS knowledge, MapMarker geocoding engine, ArcGis Server admin and map services creating and admin.

Colleagues are highly skilled and eager to learn new technology. They are friendly and with strong responsible attitude.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working together with development team members and discussing details of the requirements of the applications with our customers. New projects are challenging and I can always learn new stuff.
Pros
parking lot is not too crowded
Cons
restaurants are far away
Not a great place to work
Public health representative (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 22, 2015
I agree with no potential for job growth. I was in a grant funded position for 10 years. Once the grant ended, there was no effort made to place me on another grant. There is no severance package and you are left to your own vices in securing a new position. Good luck.
Pros
insurance and other benefits
Cons
No growth potential
staff was great
Occupational Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Dunbar, WVJune 2, 2015
came in into work opened the office got ready for the day answered the phone.then filled supplies and took care of customers in the lobby. had a good lunch break. got off at reasonable hour
Pros
staff
Cons
medical
Abstracting Specialist
Abstracting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Menands, NYApril 10, 2015
I did not have my certification at the time I had this job, but I was learning a lot of new data coding guidelines. I would review hospital data for errors and I was learning how to abstract prostate cancer primaries. Management was horrible in this job, which made it very difficult.
Pros
Atmosphere, co workers
Cons
Great place to work but it is a non profit which operates on grant funding
Clerk (Former Employee) –  RensselaerOctober 30, 2014
Some positions are fast paced some are slow and tedious. Overall people are great to work for. Management is fair with employees, you can work most days at your own pace. As long as the work gets completed everything runs smoothly. Errors are usually easily corrected (if needed).

Equipment is up to date and easy to learn to use.

Hours are 7.5 a day Monday thru Friday. Some positions have flex time.

Overall, it is a good place to work, pros exceed cons
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Job lay offs due to grant funding ending
mostly grant funded positions
Health Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 29, 2014
This is a great company to work for but most of the time the positions are grant funded and managed by the NYS Dept of Health - that agency has poor organizational leadership and management. Once your grant is up - there is always a risk you will be out of a job unless you can find another position or they move you into another position.
Pros
NYS retirement, great benefits, can work at NYS Dept of Health based on your experience, not on a civil service exam
Cons
grants don't last forever
Easy and relaxed environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Menands, NYNovember 14, 2013
Responsible for collecting data, and screening patients for participation in various research studies. Assist with the recruitment of patients, gathering data and entering it into the database. Act as a liaison between principle investigator, the patient and lab, scheduling of appointments and completion of assigned paperwork. Facility workplace located at Helen Hayes Hospital. Employer is Health Research Incorporated.
Pros
Day Shift
Cons
Ability to recruit subjects into studies is difficult but doable
graduate student research
Part Time Hourly Employee (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 19, 2013
: Initiate revisions and update two priority policy documents related to the investigation of drinking water complaints and waterborne disease outbreaks; review historical information to update program policy; work with regional and technical program staff to understand and address regulatory and field implementation issues; clarify program policy and implementation expectations; develop final drafts of updated program policy, guidance and technical consistent with state and federal regulatory requirements
The reseach preformed here is superior - the staff is dedicated
Secretary I (Current Employee) –  120 New Scotland Ave Albany, NYMay 24, 2013
Standard State job 9-5
I have learned so many fascinating things about science and team work.
Managment is very much respected and my co-workers are some of the best people in the world.
The hardest part of the job is getting approvals and the most enjoyable is watching science evolve.
Pros
People are wonderful, the research here is tremendous
Cons
To many layers of red tape Operationally
Nice environment, easy to balance life
Data Administrator II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2012
Pros: It is flexible to schedule your working hour. A good place to start your career and balance life.
Cons: a lot of meetings, not easy to get promote though you work hard.
Rude employees/management, no room for growth
Grants (Former Employee) –  Menands, NYNovember 12, 2012
Limited to no growth potential. No training system and disorganized managing. Employees are rude and not overly willing to help with a smile.
Not a good environment for advancement
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Menands, NYSeptember 13, 2012
Benefits are fantastic, room for growth and monetary increases is lacking.
Pros
holidays off, nice work week
Cons
no room to grow
The company offers great benifts
Claims Processor Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 29, 2012
Again this company offers alot of great benfits. The coworkers are great people to work with. The hardest part of the job is seeing old cowokers move on to diffrent postions or reitiring. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to the particpants that call in