Healthcare Management Administrators Employee Reviews

Not recommended as a place to work
Medical Claims Senior Provider Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 31, 2018
The company does not promote from within. The company does not inner-department cross train. The company does not promote learning new job skills. The company does not provide coaching and feedback in a timely fashion.
Stressful
Customer care, mentor, training, lead support (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 30, 2018
We were expected to take 11 calls per hour but there were times when one customer would keep us on the phone for the 45 minutes. If you logged off your phone to take an additional restroom break your manager would start calling you to see where you were. Leads refused to take escalated phones call and told us to tell the customer to calm down and call back when they weren't angry.
Trending in the right direction, but with a lot of work to do.
Account Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 28, 2018
HMA has in the past few years gone a long ways towards improving their processes and technology, and a long ways towards decreasing their human resources. A lot of knowledge and experience has been shown the door because they did not yet have the processes and technologies necessary to excel at their jobs, and management did not have the foresight to give those talents a chance with the upgrades. That said, the company is moving in the right direction, and is doing what it can to provide a good work/life balance, good benefits etc. to employees. It's unclear whether that goal will ever be reached or not, or if the ridiculous amount of turnover will cease.
Poor Managment
Customer Care Advocate (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 19, 2018
It was difficult to meet deadlines.Managment was not understanding to employee input. It is more important to Healthcare Management
Administrators to meet productivity requirements rather than meet the needs of members or providers.
Over-all an OK place to work.
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 5, 2017
Management is changing, so YMMV, but over-all the former managers looked out for their people and encouraged everyone to improve professionally and personally. This attitude appears to be shifting to a more bottom-line focused approach to business.

That said, there are still those who have worked for the company for more than 20 years
Pros
Flexible hours, good benefits, many sharp people
Cons
New management less employee focused.
Good Company Bad Management
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 11, 2017
Midsize company with limited career potentials. The founder is stepping down and the new management is dishonest and does not treat their employees right. The company can do a lot of good things to the community only if the management can have integrity.
Pros
Terrific Health care benefits
Cons
Terrible Corporate Culture
Don’t waste your time
Cashiers (Former Employee) –  bellevueOctober 19, 2017
Adult Day Care. Overworked, Underpaid, no work/life balance or acknowledgement for contributions to the success. quick to accuse without full fact picture.
good place to work to gain more skills
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 10, 2017
The people I worked with were great. A lot of repetition with the data entry input. Sometimes there was workplace drama which wasn't pleasant. Working in Membership and billing was great
Great place to work for, but the starting salary is a bit low.
Provider Specialist/Claims Pricer (Former Employee) –  Everett, WASeptember 1, 2016
HMA was a wonderful place to work for. The training for my position was excellent, and the people/departments work well with ech other to get the medical/dental claims processed accurately, and in a timely manner. I learned how to price professional, hospital and dental claims, as well as how to update/add listings for doctors and other providers. I also helped with special team projects to make pricing more accurate within certain client groups. The benifits are good, but I thought the starting wage was a little low. I believe HMA is in the process of reviewing this.
I had great success here.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 13, 2015
My job was very rewarding due to the fact that I could watch change under my leadership of teams in Account Management over the years. I had a very positive, supportive, consultative, and wonderful group of folks to lead. To watch their success improve over time was wonderful and to see how much they really enjoyed coming to work under my leadership even though we had some tough operational challenges we faced regularly. Our CEO was a great man. Unfortunately there was addition to leadership that changed the entire dynamic and not in a good way.
My Review of HMA
Senior Systems Engineer & Infrastructure Architect (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WaApril 4, 2013
HMA is a great place to work. With a continuous drive for customer satisfaction, HMA embraces the latest technologies that I recommend.
Heathcare Management Administrators is a third-party administrator of benefits for self-funded health plans. A wholly owned and independently operated subsidiary of Regence BlueShield and have been helping our customers meet their benefits needs for over 25 years. I'm proud to have been a significant part of this success for the past 15 years.
Pros
top notch technologies
My Review of HMA
Heathcare Management Administrartors is a third-party administrator of benefits for self-funded health plans. A wholly owned and independently operated subsidiary of Regence BlueShield and have been helping our customers meet their benefits needs for over 25 years. I'm proud to have been a significant part of this success for the past 15 years.
Pros
top notch technologies
Cons
none!
Stifling management OK with mediocrity
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 7, 2015
It's been a few years since I worked here, but I'm told the same people are in management roles. High performers go unappreciated and unrewarded while mediocre employees were promoted and revered. When new leadership positions became available, management decided to hire external candidates instead of the qualified internal applicants, which alienated the employees. The external new-hires did not last long, but some exceptional talent was lost in the meantime. I also heard they froze salaries for a couple of years after I left, which also caused some to jump ship.
Pros
free coffee; free parking; work from home available
Cons
underpaid, overworked, poorly managed
THey really cared about their employees.
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 23, 2014
Hardest thing about this job was telling parents/patients that the insurance denied a treatment.
The team was always supportive and professional.
My boss was great!
I reviewed requests and admissions for my cases 50-60 patient typically. On the phone interviewing, assessing the patient's needs and coordination of care.
Pros
The people
Cons
no afternoon breaks, large case loads, multiple reports
Can be very fast pace and demanding during Open Enrollment
Enrollment Services Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 26, 2012
A Typical day at work consist of processing Web/File groups, process pharmacy vendor files, answering incoming questions regarding eligibility, process daily work loaded into database. I learned how to process PBM vendor files and there error reports, testing of groups transfering over to the electronic team. Co-workers are team based being that sometimes we have to pitch in to help each team during open enrollment. The hardest part of my job is being micro managed. The most enjoyable part of the job is doing research and finding out why things happened on the error reports for the PBM vendors.
Pros
being precise with my work being that it can effect clams, rx and elgibility
Cons
that there is not flex time for starting and ending your day.
The best place I have worked in a very long time. I wanted this to be my final place of employment
Pre-Processing Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 26, 2013
There was never any typical day for me at HMA. I had my hands in everything. I was a trainer, a mentor, a claims processor, a claims biller, a project manager and overall jack of many trades. I learned allot from the leadership team I worked with. I learned first and foremost patience. How to handle more challenging people that I did have to work with on a regular basis such as patients, members, providers and groups we were trying to win business for. I loved the team I worked with and the fact it as a company of about 250 people. I never felt lost or not needed. The hardest part was learning how to say no and not take on too many things at once.
Pros
Great small staff, great leadership team, able to work from home if needed to
Cons
small staff, not enough time in the day to do everything, the pay
Enjoyable company to work for, Company is driven for success.
Live Well Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 12, 2016
Good company to work for. Plenty of work to go around this company is in a growth faze. I learned plenty of computer skills, and database management. Decent benefits.
Pros
Monday through Friday hours, and plenty of vacation.
Cons
Benefits could be improved.
Co-workers become life friends, management needs help and still waiting on the culture
Enrollment Auditor (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 15, 2016
Working for HMA had it's ups and downs, but what employer doesn't. This TPA needed to keep up with the constant changes in the Health Care Industry, while still trying to maintain that family value aspect. It was hard and a lot of people that have been there since the company began in 1985 it was a hard pill to swallow and accept the changes. Some adapted some didn't. However, I met some incredible people there that made going to work enjoyable. Most have become dear friends of mine.
HMA use to have a wonderful program of remote working in which was amazing. But now not so much I had to end employment due to the fact that I was moving to NV and the "Company Needs" were in WA only although I was already a remote worker. But nonetheless it was overall an OKAY company to work for.
Pros
Co-Workers made the job fun and interesting
Cons
New Management team the CEO has brought in has changed the image from Family to Corporate.
team atmosphere with coworkers
Enrollment Data Entry / Invoicing (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 18, 2017
I really enjoyed my co workers. We all worked well to get the job done and keep up with daily goals. Hardest part of the job was Invoicing.
Pros
not micromanaged
Cons
management
Corporate Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 25, 2015
Good place to work with great staff. CEO cares about the company and has high ethics. I loved working there. HR department really cares about the staff!
Pros
Great people!
Cons
Nothing really.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Healthcare Management Administrators. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight