HealthMarkets
Happiness rating is 55 out of 100

HealthMarkets Employee Reviews

United States173 reviews

Great support

Learned a lot great place to begin a insurance career. Lots of support/pay us good. Lots of bona-fide leads. Area managers very knowledgeable and helpful. Great culture of people to work with and work for. Have great concern for customers, great continual training. Customer is not viewed as just a commission, sell products based on true needs.

Agents Make Money For Healthmarkets Not Other Way Around

Leads were very expensive for Medicare Prospects and commission payouts complex and onerous. I Paid $65 for live leads that were not qualified and there was no refund. Agents need to start with book of business or afford to wait a couple of years to start earning money.

Pros

Systems and access to all carriers.

Cons

You can spend more money than you make!

HealthMarkets insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Bad pay and worse leads

Health Markets sells "leads" to its agents. This, in and of itself isn't that bad, but those "leads" are terrible.From my experience, approximately 40% of them were people on Medicaid, which means that there's little you can legally sell them. Many others were people have health insurance with an employer and wanted you to help them solve problem, which again limits how much you can sell and increases the amount of work you have to do in order to make a sale.With those leads being such garbarge, all you're left with is a company that takes a portion of your commissions without doing anything for you.

Pros

They have a decent training program and give you some business cards.

Cons

Their "leads" are garbage and the commissions are low.

Collaborative workplace, loved the team

Thoroughly enjoyed the team and supportive management. Wish I could have become a full-time employee but my contract with my consulting company restricted me from doing so.

Cons

Office is a bit old style.

High income potential with very flexible hours

Excellent training and support for a wide range of companies and products. The ACA made it difficult to earn a commission for most health insurance policies. This created an unfortunate necessity to sell supplementary products in order to earn commissions. Purchased leads were of reasonable cost and quality. Higher income in the open enrollment periods for health and medicare supplement insurance.

Pros

Support is always available, a wide variety of companies and products

Cons

The ACA has made it difficult to earn commission

Great Company to work for IF you can quickly build business and don't mind commission only pay

The company does pay well, IF you sell a lot. I just do not like being commission only. Management is hit or miss, my original hiring manager was worried only about their numbers and were poor at training and helping someone who was really new to the field... due to this, I burned out quick. You cannot treat everyone the same, no one is the same.

Pros

Great income potential, Can make your own schedule

Cons

Management (in some cases), Commission-only pay

Make own hours, hard work = good money

Great way to make all the money you want to make. You have to be a self starter. Most people aren't. Listen to your Sales Leader and do what they say.

Pros

Work/life balance, great money

Cons

Straight commission, but thats why you make good money

Lack of product to sell

It started our pretty well but then the management changed and it went downhill. Eliminated the main companies that I sold, with nothing to replace it. In their defense there is not a lot of good health plans out there right now.

Pros

decent commissions

Cons

no good plans to sell

Horrible management

It’s like a cult trying to get out of working there management is nothing but a bunch of coke heads who treat employees like dirt You work your tail off and lie to customers to make money it’s a horrible place to work

No room for advancement except for certain people

Overall after the company was acquired by UnitedHealthcare it got better. There was work and life flexibility and it was a great job that I was able to work from home during Covid with. But there was no room for advancement especially if you were part-time. If you went through UHC, you might have been able to advance.

Pros

Perks, Flexible work/life balance

Cons

No advancement

Great job opportunity- poor management support and ethic

Run away quickly. Management is there to make $$ plain and simple. They will throw you under the bus at any opportunity. Will tell you anything to get you to sell and then when you have an issue they turn their backs.

there is no ping pong table

lots of calls, flaky leads and a poor commission structure. use your own phone and computer. pay for a decent crm rather than use theirs. expect the worst and you will never be disappointed

Pros

nap time and work out in your work day it really doesnt matter

Cons

you will get fat and sad when you call 150-200 people and it is the same result

Work From Anywhere

The job is commission only so your pay depends on how hard you push to make it. The company is a great company to work for. They want to help you succeed.

Pros

Great peopel who want to help you learn and grow

Cons

It takes money to make money thats all i can say

Not a fun work environment. Bad training program.

This company puts on a good show when on boarding you. Then starts the meetings which were only supposed to be on Tuesdays which becameWhen ever they felt they needed one. I was doing Monday Tuesday and Friday it was to much. My Team leader over promised and under delivered on my training. I was told to call him if I have a question could never get thru to him. The lead system is also another reason why I left them. They want you to call 100 people a day to get 3 appointments a day. The leads were expensive and not worth the money. They range from $2 dollars to $30.00 for a live transfer call. If you want to sell insurance go to work for Allstate or Statefarm where you can make good money and still have a life of your own.

Pros

Lots of products to offer.

Cons

Poor management team and training, and the leads are to expensive and are old.

You will be broke for the first 3 years minimum

And then you’ll work your rear off for little reward with the possibility of them keeping all of your business you wrote. Other agents are not that nice or helpful to your success.

Cons

Cold calling leads, lots of required meetings - no base pay

They do not pay commissions for ACA policies

Management will tell you that there is no commission for ACA sales, that is a lie, other companies will pay commission, you will end up in debt with the lead charges, don't waste your time with this company.

Chaotic

Too many products, not enough support. If you’re established with a book of business you should be fine, if not, you’re in for a huge challenge. Smarmy leadership.

Pros

Flexible ‘schedule’

Cons

No support, low quality leads

Great intro to the world of Insurance

Hard to make real money. You must live in the phone. Not for everyone. For every 100 calls you get six people interested, only 6 will let them quote them and maybe 3 sales. The commission is not enough to make a living.

Pros

They have a referral system and they are contracted with many insurance companies

Cons

Hard to make real money the fist year.

I wouldn't work here

You have to pay for your own leads, which is an industry standard. But they have their own lead generation system that doesnt allow refunds for bad leads. One of their most expensive lead I paid for was another insurance agent, we talked and had a great laugh about it.

A lot of time required in front of computer, making lead calls daily.Trainers, some are not patient with new agents Some not approachable

Required a lot of studying and “ figuring things out” on my own. Even though you have trainer, most training sessions are watching them sell. And not great teachers for new agents. Some trainers are approachable, some are not. Luck of the drawl who you get based on where you live Obviously they make money, trips...something off of your selling. Push is to call call call leads And pay for them Obviously selling the health insurance ( where you make next to nothing for setting some one up in the MD Health Connection exchange ) was getting foot in the door to sell what you really make money off of, supplemental and life insurance. My experience was not a good one. I did not feel I could ask questions without getting yelled at. Often. The management in the main office was very approachable and helpful. For me, I decided I did not want to deal with health insurance that is constantly changing and having to balance out salary versus tax credits, which can lead to big issues when clients have to pay tax credit back or if insurance goes up so much they cancel supplemental insurances because they can not afford both

Pros

Make you own schedule

Cons

Making calls all day and I front of computer, Changing health insurance industry means constantly changing policies for clients. doesn’t pay

They tell you what you want to hear, then it all goes bad..

I was there for approx 4 years. I was excited as a newly licensed agent. I was told what needed to be done, but rushed through the process of signing documents. Fast forward 4 yrs, when they terminated me for reasons STILL unknown. I was not even told that I was terminated, only because I could not access my email or portal WHILE speaking with a client did I realize that it wasnt a tech issue.. When I contacted them, all they said was that they would be in touch. Once they finally contacted me (almost 2 weeks later), I was told that my clients were NOT mine, and that they had legal hold on my commissions, clients and were charging me interest on the balance I held for leads.. A balance that consisted of leads I did not request, mind you. Half of the leads were Medicare and I wasn't even appointed with Medicare.Bottom line is PLEASE READ EVERY SENTENCE THEY PUT IN FRONT OF YOU NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES!!! Once they have you in their talons, you are simply a number, no longer a person to them...

Pros

Cons

the company as a whole

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HealthMarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits