HealthMarkets Employee Reviews

Excellent Leadership With Opportunity for Advancement
Copy Editor (Current Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXNovember 5, 2018
HealthMarkets is a company that truly values its employees. I worked on a contract basis for more than a year before my position was made permanent. But, in that time frame, I was always treated as a valuable, knowledgeable member of the team.

I enjoy coming to work every day because of the great environment our department and company leaders have helped cultivate. My work is both challenging and rewarding, and - most importantly - I can see how my efforts fit into the company's goals and progress. I appreciate the ways in which management promotes personal and professional development. The leadership team takes your personal career goals into consideration work alongside you to help you reach them. I have never worked with such competent and compassionate people!

Another important thing to note: The CEO is very transparent with employees. The company holds meetings throughout the year to address the state of the industry as well as the company's place in it. In these meetings, top leadership sit in a panel form and answer employee-submitted questions. I like this format, and it makes me feel like employees' concerns are heard and considered.
Pros
Flexible schedule, excellent leadership, opportunity for growth, opportunity to learn new skills
Cons
Limited company holidays
Awful place to work, don't get paid your commissions, no benefits, force you to buy stock in company and never get residuals
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2018
Horrible place to work. You dont get paid all of your commissions. They deduct so much from your check you have no check. Management is extremely manipulative and does not care about the individual who is trying to make a living . Sexual harrassment goes unnoticed, they want you to buy their leads instead of providing leads to help you get started. Just apply somewhere else. Horrible experience!
Pros
Close to my home, some nice individuals
Cons
Long hours with no compensation, dishonest and manipulative management
Horrible Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 19, 2018
Do not work for this company. It's a scam for you and for your clients. The management was horrible and you are taught to pressure clients. They will take your money away (through credit company) if you don't make sales in a certain period.
Make sure you get paid on time
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chenoa, ILSeptember 6, 2018
Broker/Agent could not meet payroll. Was promised lump sum payments when commissions came in. Waited months to get paid and never received a dime. Very disappointing experience.
Pros
Didn't get paid
Cons
Flexible schedule
Not a good place to be
Medical Collector (Current Employee) –  N Richland Hills, TXAugust 30, 2018
Nothing is set in stone and management is all over the place. This review isn’t going to help. Wish that indeed would stop requiring this because there is way more important things at this point
Run far and fast
Insurance Agency Broker Owner (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSAugust 28, 2018
Don’t go to work here thinking you will actually get paid for what you sell because you will not. You’re told to sell insurance but you’re not told that you will never see the commission for all,you sold if any
Pros
Cons
Horrible management, lies on commission structure, never get paid o.
nice place to work
Agent (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 14, 2018
100% commission. You need to self-motivate. If the leads are good then you will do well. Some periods during the year are not very profitable, but seasoned agents usually do very well. Commitment to the job is key. Get to know your product line and you will do well. It can take approximately 2-3 years to increase your business base, but many agents are able to succeed much quicker in the first year. This company is great. Awesome training and support.
Stuck in a rut
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXAugust 2, 2018
HM is stuck in a rut. With the constant rebranding and layoffs, the veteran employees are territorial and full of grudges. Management is too busy with infighting to focus on employee culture. The company is a reflection of the turmoil in the health insurance industry. If you are looking for a stability, look elsewhere.
Pros
Good Paycheck
Cons
Instability
Competitive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 9, 2018
Working at Health Markets was an excellent experience for me! I truly enjoyed the opportunity and what I learned as well. The Management empowers employees to make decisions support and interact with them, and act consistently. Because of the strong Culture, the company Organizations outperform their competitors in financial performance and are generally more successful.
Pros
Unlimited Overtime
Cons
Limited Growth Oppurtunities
Work as you please
Independent Agent (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJuly 9, 2018
Great workplace with flexible hours
Learned how to manage business
Enjoyed meeting and helping new people
Commission based
Great team environment and great leaders
terrible place to work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 3, 2018
management, like everyone else in the company, are selfish sale people. you are a contracted 1099 worker and not considered an employee. there are zero benefits included because of this 'definition' of employment. even though you aren't an employee, you sign a contract that you can't contract with anyone else in the business while working at HM and for a year after you leave.
you are required to attend weekly meetings that you are not paid for. every 1 to 2 months you are expected to go to a regional meeting that can be up to a 3 hour drive or longer from your location...unpaid, once again.

you only get paid if you sell something. Major Medical insurance is the main product. you get paid zero dollars for any real major medical policy you sell. you are encouraged to 'upsell' company offered add on policies that are designed to benefit the company more than the buyer.

the strategy of the company is to hire as many 'agents' as possible, regardless of their potential to be able to sustain a career in sales. new agents are encouraged to sell products to their family and friends to get their business started. even if the new hire cannot sustain a business that can provide for them and their family, it doesn't cost the company anything to keep them on board. (they will try to convince you that it does cost them in nonsense areas like, paperwork.)

sales leaders have access to their agents' book of business and their leads. many sales leaders steal leads and business from the agents under them.
Pros
completely flexible schedule
Cons
you have to sell near worthless, overpriced products to hard working honest people on a budget
You are your own supervisor
Agent/Broker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 30, 2018
It required quite a bit of traveling, but the rewards can benefit with hard work. The company does support you in your interests in learning new avenues of your own interests
Pros
remote work
Great company!
Licensed Insurance Agent - Health, Life, Medicare (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 28, 2018
phone calls most days. Some face-to-face appointment. Learned that it is better to have a captive market. Management was easy to work with, there was a supportive work environment.
Poor Compensation
Insurance Broker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 15, 2018
No base pay. Commission only. But even that is being taken away more and more. Some companies and products don't pay any commission at all. We are supposed to be informed of the pay changes by law so we can agree to them, but multiple times I found out after the fact, when I was trying to figure out why I haven't received a paycheck. Even if you do make a sale, the commission very poorly pays you for the time, effort and stress you endured during those hours working for just one client- less the $10 per hour.

Management is extremely rude. I leave meetings almost in tears out of frustration with how ugly they can be. They make you feel like you are garbage even though you spend hours working, only to not get paid. They tell you that they are passionate about this business and protecting people. But it's all clearly a lie. They only care about numbers.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Rude management and horrible compensation.
Great place to work unfortunately they no longer sell insurance which resulted in laid off.
SENIOR UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXApril 5, 2018
Healthmarkets was a great place to work. I did get a promotion to underwriter supervisor as well as a pay raise. Employees received yearly raises and great benefits. Unfortunately most everyone was laid off as they no longer sell health insurance.
Official response from HealthMarkets
April 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed being a part of the HealthMarkets family. While we no longer underwrite our own major medical health insurance, we now do that for supplemental health insurance. We’re also happy to share that we’ll have a new underwriting position opening up soon, should you be interested.

fun environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCMarch 19, 2018
I enjoyed working with the people at HealthMarkets and was very sad when I was informed that I would be laid off due to lack of work. It's a very comfortable setting and the people are wonderful.
Terrible
Independent Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 8, 2018
No Mentoring...they are a captive agency but tell you they are an independent agency system. What this means is that they take about 40% off the top due to so many layers needing to get paid.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Too many to list
Place to learn
Sales Agent/Broker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 28, 2018
This is an acceptable company to work with if you want to learn the insurance business. For some it can be a long term home. They practice a hard line sink-or-swim philosophy.
Pros
Lot of exposure to different kinds of insurance and insurers.
Cons
Mentor deficient. Mixed messages.
Not a fun place.
Independent Representative (Former Employee) –  Coit and ParkFebruary 24, 2018
This company corporate office is in Grapevine. They have poor training, poor communication, not a fun place, management lacks in training.
A typical day was to try to sell a police to the customers using the market place to optain a policy.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
poor training
Official response from HealthMarkets
February 27, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. Our corporate office is located in North Richland Hills. Perhaps this review was intended for another organization? If not, thank you for providing feedback as we continue to improve our company and accelerate our investments in training.

After 23 years in the industry, best opportunity
Agent (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2018
As with any career, it is what you make of it. I worked here for a few years and made average $$. Problem was everyone feels like they are self employed and don't want direction or structure. When my manager started holding me accountable and I started holding myself accountable the $$ came. I guess you can't beat hard work. Healthmarkets is also very insightful to the future of this very complicated industry. I have seen lots of broke insurance agents come from other companies and if they follow Healthmarkets process become very successful.
Pros
Freedom of time
Cons
Freedom of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HealthMarkets. Our community is ready to answer.