HealthMarkets Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor Compensation
Insurance Broker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 15, 2018
No base pay. Commission only. But even that is being taken away more and more. Some companies and products don't pay any commission at all. We are supposed to be informed of the pay changes by law so we can agree to them, but multiple times I found out after the fact, when I was trying to figure out why I haven't received a paycheck. Even if you do make a sale, the commission very poorly pays you for the time, effort and stress you endured during those hours working for just one client- less the $10 per hour.

Management is extremely rude. I leave meetings almost in tears out of frustration with how ugly they can be. They make you feel like you are garbage even though you spend hours working, only to not get paid. They tell you that they are passionate about this business and protecting people. But it's all clearly a lie. They only care about numbers.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Rude management and horrible compensation.
Great place to work unfortunately they no longer sell insurance which resulted in laid off.
SENIOR UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXApril 5, 2018
Healthmarkets was a great place to work. I did get a promotion to underwriter supervisor as well as a pay raise. Employees received yearly raises and great benefits. Unfortunately most everyone was laid off as they no longer sell health insurance.
April 13, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed being a part of the HealthMarkets family. While we no longer underwrite our own major medical health insurance, we now do that for supplemental health insurance. We’re also happy to share that we’ll have a new underwriting position opening up soon, should you be interested.

fun environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCMarch 19, 2018
I enjoyed working with the people at HealthMarkets and was very sad when I was informed that I would be laid off due to lack of work. It's a very comfortable setting and the people are wonderful.
Terrible
Independent Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 8, 2018
No Mentoring...they are a captive agency but tell you they are an independent agency system. What this means is that they take about 40% off the top due to so many layers needing to get paid.
Pros
Set your own hours
Cons
Too many to list
Not a fun place.
Independent Representative (Former Employee) –  Coit and ParkFebruary 24, 2018
This company corporate office is in Grapevine. They have poor training, poor communication, not a fun place, management lacks in training.
A typical day was to try to sell a police to the customers using the market place to optain a policy.
Pros
Flexibility of working hours
Cons
poor training
February 27, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. Our corporate office is located in North Richland Hills. Perhaps this review was intended for another organization? If not, thank you for providing feedback as we continue to improve our company and accelerate our investments in training.

After 23 years in the industry, best opportunity
Agent (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2018
As with any career, it is what you make of it. I worked here for a few years and made average $$. Problem was everyone feels like they are self employed and don't want direction or structure. When my manager started holding me accountable and I started holding myself accountable the $$ came. I guess you can't beat hard work. Healthmarkets is also very insightful to the future of this very complicated industry. I have seen lots of broke insurance agents come from other companies and if they follow Healthmarkets process become very successful.
Pros
Freedom of time
Cons
Freedom of time
Very unprofessional place to work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 6, 2018
I worked for this company and I found it to be completely unprofessional the boss was running around trying to get in everyone’s pants. I took a job trying to advance my career and found myself in a flop house . The boss wanted to be the mentor to the women but only if he could sleep with you if you didn’t sleep with him you didn’t get your sales very unprofessional and very illegal . I have never worked for a place like this before and it made me feel so uncomfortable I had to quit.
Pros
They pay for you to get licensed
Cons
Unprofessional
Good Place to work
Lead Agent (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 5, 2018
Very good place to work. Staff and management (some) are great to work with. Some, if you are not their favorite, good luck getting questions answered. One of the New Supervisors picks who she wants to help.
The New Supervisors do not set the example. come in late, leave early. But, they want everyone else to go above and beyond.
She talks down to people. She tries to make herself look good in front of her upline but, when they are gone, she sits at her desk and does nothing work related.
Pros
other agents
Cons
Supervisors
Fun work place
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 20, 2017
HealthMarkets invest time and money into individuals that want to work and learn. Management is helpful and training is available. Great work morale
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Competition was bad. Unfair. Unbalanced
Good place for start
Health and Life Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLDecember 7, 2017
It’s a good place to start.
If some one can explain to you how the commission are, and when are you going to get paid, you are lucky!!
It’s a bad word ask how much we get paid.
Only they care is “sell suplementals” they don’t care if the client is poor or what. They need to have a bunch of supplementals.
Pros
Time off
Cons
No good leads
December 26, 2017

Thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed working with HealthMarkets. We understand that starting as a new agent can be an overwhelming experience. That’s why we support agents by providing online and classroom training and mentoring opportunities. Thank you for sharing your experience.

good job
Mail Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXDecember 4, 2017
This is a good place to work for, you get to meet a lot of great people. The travel to work was good. I had fun doing my job and helping others when ever they needed it.
Pros
good people
Benefits
December 26, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are glad that you enjoyed your time with HealthMarkets.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 9, 2017
Great place to work if you have a quality car. They offer commission to their agents. You also have to buy your own leads for your applicants. They have excellent online training.
Pros
Cons
travel
Layoffs
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXOctober 31, 2017
The company was having a huge layoff when I left the company. They had laid off everyone in my department but me and it was because I made less than anyone else, I was moved over to the retention department but soon after got on with Transamerica so I left the company
Pros
I liked my job
Cons
Change over
November 6, 2017

Hi there. Thank you for your insight. We are happy to hear that you liked your job with HealthMarkets and we understand your feelings toward the layoffs. Since the layoffs that occurred two years ago, we are pleased to share that we are experiencing new growth in the company and regularly adding positions. Again, thank you for your review and we wish you luck in your new career.

Too much work without pay.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 24, 2017
Health Markets is a great place to learn the health insurance market place. They keep up with all required training for compliance with government regulations. It takes a lot of time to complete courses for all the providers and has to be renewed annually.

Management is willing to help those who put in the time to meet all required certifications. Culture feels like a family.
Pros
Great training for new agants
Cons
Excessive training to sell health insurance, Leads are expensive, target market is low income families, must sell supplemental insurance to get paid, No commission paid by health insurance providers.
Horrible Company to work for
Licensed Health, Life and Accident Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Cromwell, CTAugust 24, 2017
Very cut-throat company! There was no help provided when needed, and the only motto there was sell, sell, sell. Nothing else there mattered. Learned nothing through management or other agents!
Broker/agent position
insurance broker working under Healthmarkets (Former Employee) –  Cromwell, CTAugust 15, 2017
A typical day at work would start out at the office with training sessions working with the various programs used in the brokering process. Also phone skills were taught every other day.

I learned good business skills from my experience with this particular job. I feel what I learned can be useful in marketing myself for potential future employers as well as managing accounts. I also learned to operate independently.

The management was very good. They were knowledgeable about the skills they taught and acted professionally.

The workplace culture was diverse. There was a positive energy when in meetings and we had a lot of laughs and fun and general positivity but as well worked hard when the time came.

The hardest part was doing the cold calling for obvious reasons.

The most enjoyable
Pros
Free food at meetings.
Cons
independent agents
Running the Office
Office Mgr./Sales Assistant to Territory VP (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 30, 2017
A typical day is constantly moving and growing. Starting w/checking emails, distributing leads, creating events, social media & marketing, onboarding, training, and much more.
Pros
TVP is great and extremely knowledgeable.
Cons
Pay
you are your own boss/ flexible
Customer Service, Negotiation Sales (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXJuly 25, 2017
Call clients about appointment for insurance. Call to sell insurance, saw clients as they walked into the office. Sold health insurance as well as supplemental insurance. Filled out insurance applications, took payments , set follow up appointments.
Pros
you are your own boss
Cons
if you don't have contacts you have to build your client base.
Work
Technical Analyst Level (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXJuly 15, 2017
The company was awesome to work for but the industry was changing so much that you didn't know if you would have a job at the end of the day. That's the ONLY thing that proved stressful
Not the best
Health Life and Annuity Agent (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 6, 2017
Very disorganized, Little Structure. Management wasn't bad but there was not any room for advancement. Market can be dictated by political movement in healthcare. Inconsistent Income. I saw a friend loose his house because he decided to work for this company.
Pros
Free time
Cons
Everything Else.