HealthNow New York Inc. Employee Reviews

Culture change had been incredible
Health care services Team (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 3, 2017
I presently work here and the culture change over the last year or so has been amazing! They have a great work life balance focus, compensate employees well, potential of an annual Bonus and raise.

They encourage employee feedback and input. Offer Lower premiums for employees, onsite gym, employee challenges throughout the year. Free parking, dress down day Fridays ($2 every Friday and the collected money goes back to the community)

I cannot say enough. So proud to work here
Pros
Cafeteria on site, 11 paid holidays a year
Cons
IT has challenges for their employees
poor Management
Other Experience (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 1, 2018
They'll hire their friends with no degrees i management positions. I have degrees and experience and have been moving in a lateral position for 4 yrs
Although I was a temp I felt apart of the team and cannot wait to return
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 14, 2017
What I enjoyed the most about working there was how friendly and helpful every one was. I was not receiving benefits, but the culture plus the benefits makes this a great place to work!
Pros
Flexibility, people, benefits
Cons
Didn't see any
Great colleagues, questionable managment
Data Scientist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 1, 2017
The majority of professionals and staff are intelligent and dedicated. People eagerly learn the tasks that need to be done and can generally be left to them with independence. Most training is OJT, though in-house introductory classes are available in technology and the business. Work hours can be flexible and importance of family/personal needs is recognized. Many people are friends outside of work, which contributes to both good collaboration but also cliques. Albeit job changes do occur so employees can build experience, the process is unstructured (a bit of the wild west), and departments regularly have unfilled positions with no preemptive backfill and training of replacements. The company structure is somewhat flat, and people placed into supervisory or management positions often have zero formal training or corporate-type experience in those roles. Standardization of processes for defining job expectations, performance reviews and salary increases within and across departments doesn't appear to exist, which contributes to gross inequalities. That being said, people across the board, top to bottom, tend to be very friendly and accessible.
Good Company Very difficult work with Little rewards.
I worked there (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 12, 2016
I do miss working for HealthNow. My coworkers and peers were amazing talented people although there was frustration with management all the way up to the CEO of the organization. There is no career growth within the organization it is all based on nepotism and who you know versus how good and experienced of an employee you are. The health benefits are amazing, I was spoiled with how inexpensive they were even through the entire Healthcare reform bill. I currently pay 6 times more for benefits at my new company than I did at HealthNow. Overall I would recommend working there.
Pros
Benefits, Benefits, amazing employee workforce.
Cons
Management are Rude Liars
Great place to work.
Administrative Clerk, Hearings Representative (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NY 13902June 25, 2018
We lost the contract or I would still be there. People had pride in their work. Fast paced and had to send out files in a timely manner. The company lost bid for Medicare contact. The other company underbid, rumors that they cheated. Not worth money to appeal.
Pros
Great employees to work with. Learning experience. Learned how to work with temperamental copier.
Cons
Had to ship files off-site then retrieve when next hearing level occurred.
Productive workplace, many opportunities for advancement
Training Specialist, NYS Insurance Programs (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYSeptember 24, 2013
- Typical day at work involved conducting training classes and/or
creating and maintaining training materials and/or creating and
maintaining desktop procedures
- Learned how to determine what training was needed, how to
conduct training, how to write and maintain training materials, how
to write and maintain desktop procedures
- Multi-level management structure
- Friendly co-workers
Pros
Excellent health benefits, tuition reimbursement, excellent job skills training, generous paid time off policy, many opportunities for advancement
Wonderful management, work environment, compensation and benefits
Provider Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYFebruary 4, 2014
HealthNow, NY was a wonderful place to work. I was a provider customer service representative. Medical offices would call me regarding their Medicare claims they had submitted, ranging from general questions to questioning claim denials.

All of my co-workers were extremely nice and so was the management. The training for this position was very extensive. It included more than 3 months of classroom training to prepare ourselves. I consistently went above and beyond the minimum performance quotas and was often asked to help new employees by answering questions.

My office was the call center that handled the Region A Medicare Providers. Unfortunately, our contract was outbid and the location for our office was moved out of town so we were laid-off.

We were treated extremely well and it showed with our great compensation and excellent benefits.
There was no job security
Eligibility Representative (Temporary Position) (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, PAJuly 7, 2015
At the time that I was hired at HealthNow New York, they were beginning to make the switch over to everything being electronic. Therefore, there was no job security once the system was implemented full-time.

While they were implementing this new system, there was a lot of time where the systems were down and you could not complete your job duties or take provider phone calls. There would be days on end that would consist of this.

I was also never offered benefits while working there and I was a full-time employee. There was also no room for advancement.
Nice boss and great co-workers and comfortable atmosphere.
Medicaid Billing & Eligibility Representative (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYFebruary 20, 2015
I would register beneficiaries and their children with Medicaid health insurance. I would do this through phone contact and through paper work. I also would process several reports having to do with Medicaid. I learned a lot about Medicaid insurance coverage and I was happy to be able to enroll beneficiaries and their families. The hardest part of the job was some of the reports. They could get quite complicated at times and take awhile to complete. The most enjoyable part of the job was parties. We would have department parties for everyone's birthdays.
Pros
Great benefits vacation, healthcare, sicktime
Cons
Road leading up to company was very slippery in the wintertime
Professional place to work - Great benefits
IT (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 30, 2014
They do take care of their employees, current and post. They even pay a third party career building/job placement firm to assist employees who have been involuntarily terminated. They also offer employee engagement surveys to allow employees to rate their manager. After which the manager is informed and improvement measures are put into place.
Pros
Great benefits. Professional employees.
Cons
Management not always effective.
Good company
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 24, 2017
Great benefits, busy work day, some positions monotonous while others are very hectic. Management is removed due to poor communication and heavy workload for management (they simply don't have time to engage fully).
Pros
benefits, work/life balance
Cons
removed management, high stress
Cut throat environment
Data Analyst/Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 7, 2017
You are better off leaving the company and then returning if you desire a raise. Corporate culture needs and overhaul! No opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Lots of paid time off
Cons
No advancement opportunity
Industry in flux, reacting to change with automation and legislation.
Account Management Associate III (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYApril 4, 2012
I made it through 3 reorganizations, but not the last. Think due to my higher salary and slowdown in legislation, as well as my last project being completed. Was given positions largely aimed at producing effeciencies. I enjoyed that tremendously as I was given an opportunity to use my problem solving skills. I also worked on implementing changes that automated processes as well as implemented new state and federal legislation. I received an award for my work.

Those were interesting and challenging tasks, and I enjoyed working with others on the teams.

I was very self motivated having come from previous hi powered positions outside the industry, and received jealousy from the salaried staff in my department who were not chosen for those teams. These were people who did not work beyond 8 hours per day, did not see the big picture of our industry, but complained about everything. This was a difficult working environment, and I have to say that management dropped the ball communicating to them.
Pros
challenging, interesting work.
Cons
job insecurity, many reorganizations, and job duties changing often, poor people and resource management
It was fun working at Helathnow.
QA Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 13, 2018
It use to be hetictic work at helathnow sometimes but i use to using enjoy working in those kind of scedules we can learn new thing in those kind of projects.
Excellent place to work
Enrollment & Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYJanuary 17, 2017
I was with this company for many years, excellent co workers, outstanding benefits, loved helping our customers and vendors
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
not many promotional opportunities in our division of the company
Great people, great environment
Developer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 18, 2016
People are great and always willing to help out. Corporate culture is great and makes sure to stress a work/life balance. Benefits are comparable if not better than competitors.
Excellent company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYSeptember 29, 2016
I enjoy the different tasks that I do every day. I have been able to learn a lot working here ... No two days are exactly the same. There is a teamwork attitude among my co-workers.
Pros
Great flexibility and benefits
Cons
Based in Buffalo. Small office in Endicott is being downsized again.
Loved my job
,Written Inquires Representative (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYJanuary 14, 2016
one of the best places I ever worked. Great benefits holidays and vacations. Sad we lost our contact and our jobs. Would recommend working here
Manager
Grievance & Appeal Manager (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYFebruary 11, 2015
During my 24+ years at HealthNow (aka Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Western New York), I was able to achieve a variety of leadership positions.
Most recently, I was the Manager of two business units, overseeing the day to day operations of the Enrollment and Billing Department for Medicare Advantage as well as the Grievance and Appeal Department the Medicare Advantage and NY State Programs.
I was responsible to ensure all Federal and NY State guidelines were met. I maintained staffing levels through the selection and hiring process of new staff, the education and provision of accurate processing materials to existing staff, the enhanced training or re-training of staff that struggled or failed to meet expectations, and the ultimate dismissal of staff unable to overcome the inability to meet goals.
I worked with a variety of co-workers ranging from CEO and CFO to my direct reports.
The hardest part of the job were the hours required of my position. I was normally 'on call' 24 hours per day and was required to travel to our Buffalo location, oftentimes for days at a time. I was expected to be available telephonically during my vacation, weekends, etc.
I enjoyed the team's meeting or exceeding input and output expectations. I was very instrumental in the creation of new processes which allowed our organization to experience a sharp increase in Star Rating by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), which ultimately positioned the organization to obtain increased revenue as well as strengthen their position in the insurer community.
Pros
Job satisfaction, compensation, benefits.
Cons
Travel expectations, hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HealthNow New York Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

HealthNow New York Inc. Reviews by Location