Hearst Corporation Employee Reviews

Loved it
Digital Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 16, 2018
I had the experience of Hearst - Localedge being the first digital marketing company I had worked for.

I was blown away by the training structure, how well they want to prepare a sales associate before they hit the floor and the follow up.

Compensation was also amazing!
Fantastic Job Experience, allowed me to build on my experience at Condé Nast to become a skilled producer/director
Associate Producer / Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2018
This was a great job for me. A typical day consisted of pitching ideas, scheduling shoots, securing talent and freelancers for shoots, supervising videos in post production and approving the cuts (or editing myself). On shoot days I ran the entire shoot from top to bottom. On big shoots I was in charge of making sure things went smoothly no matter what. On smaller shoots or interviews I was the lead producer / director.

I learned how to write scripts, pitch ideas, interview big personalities, liaison between video editors and the top executives, manage schedules and budgets, etc.

Management was for the most part good, however they made some every questionable decisions in who they would partner with to put out the video content. This decision ultimately blew up in their face and led to many video people being let go unnecessarily.

The hardest part of the job was working on so many jobs at once, although that was challenging, it was also one of the things that I really loved about the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the editors from the magazines and branded clients to make content that our viewers would enjoy every day.
Pros
Freedom to really take charge of projects, lots of perks, great group of people to work with, everyone is talented
Cons
Bad judgement by executives in partnering with a social network exclusively
Professional and supportive enviornment.
Senior Director, Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2018
Work enviornment was amoung the best I have ever been part of in my career. Work enviorment was professional. Ideas were always considered when supported with the correct analytics and P&L's.
Pros
Strong Benefits, Great work enviornment, committed staff and a collaborative enviornment
Poor management
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2018
I felt that when my manager changed, the environment changed. I overheard her badmouthing me to another colleague and felt that was very unprofessional. Felt very high-school.
I was a fun time
Head Retoucher Oprah Magazine (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2018
Years ago, when I worked at Hearst, it was a different time for that company. It was a great place to learn the industry. I made some great connections there. I would not want to experience that couture again.
Pros
experience, connections
Cons
management, benefits, fashion people at the worst
Great place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 11, 2018
Pending on your department head, it is a great place to work. Although stressful at times and with New York being the headquarters, position change quickly.
A place to feel comfortable
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2018
The overall feel for the atmosphere is cool. People are generally nice and treat each other with respect. If you are eager and a go getter movement between departments are doable. Working here was some of the best years of my career. I would not mind going back.
Pros
Gym, Cafeteria and Bright Office Spaces
Cons
Compensation is a little low
Toxic Work Environment
automotive specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2018
Management was more concerned in their own agenda that everyone else was just a means. Once they got rid of management that did know what they were doing and wanted the best for their team, they brought in people from the outside and gave them agendas that did not align with the job and the responsibility of their reps. Management would rather fire their number one reps that they UNDER paid to not take blame for the things they were not doing.
Pros
Cons
management, pay, insecurity
Legal dept at Hearst Corporation
Legal department (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2018
One's experience working at Hearst varies widely depending upon which department one is in. There is very little standardization between the departments in terms of compensation, management, benefits, hours, etc.

That being said, work life balance in the legal department at Hearst is decent. My manager is awful, a fact which is widely known, and nothing is done about it. Lots of structural problems between attorneys and support staff.
Productive and professional
Digital Media Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 16, 2018
Great group of people but culture as provided by company is lacking. If you can swallow that, it's a great place to work. Relaxed, professional, and ambitious. Knows what they are doing when it comes to serving their clients and providing a variety of top notch services in the industry.
Pros
Products you can get behind, history, professionalism
Cons
Boring, lack of culture
A great place to work and get paid alot of money.
Digital Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCFebruary 12, 2018
Their compensation package for sales and management is second to none. They have great benefits as well. They are a little old fashioned in some ways of conducting business and very political.
Productive and fun place to work
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 31, 2018
I have enjoyed my years working for the Service Center. there are many changes that are coming about within the company. Some I feel will be good and some will be hard.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Some management is not always understanding of personal situations.
Increasing goals every month, no management support, zero growth potential
Digital Advertising Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 24, 2018
Typical day: arrive, 30 minute meeting, make 50 cold calls, run two appointments, and manage a book of business. Fulfillment team needed hand holding, support team ok, management weak and no advancement potential.
Productive and a fun place workplace
Sales Administrator/Finance Assoc. (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYJanuary 17, 2018
Busy and productive.
Culture was relaxed,co-workers and management were a please to work with.
Benefits were good.
PTO- vacation and holidays were excellent
Fun environment
Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2018
The environment was fun to work at and I enjoyed working with my co-workers. Also, it was a professional environment where everyone got their work done.
Pros
Fun environment
High pressure,. Poor managment.
Circulation Records and Preprint Charting Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2018
My last few years at the Chronicle were high pressure, long hours. The demands were many and it was difficult to get away. As employees were let go, duties were added to my department to the point we were no longer were able to do excellent work. My loyal employees worked long hours as well. This was a change in the culture that had been there for decades.
Pros
Most employees are great people
Cons
High pressure. Poor upper managment.
relaxed company as long as you do your job well they are hands off
Digital imaging specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 13, 2017
good company treated you fairly and didn't micr-manage you
was about a good balance between family and work.
nice overall environment i would recommend to a friend or colleague to apply
Awesome job
Seasonal - Tree marker (Former Employee) –  McCloud, CA 96057December 12, 2017
Loved being able to work outdoors in Nature. Gorgeous scenery working with awesome people. Hard work climbing up steep hills in the heat of the Summer, but very rewarding. Got to see a bear up close, kind of scary
Pros
great people, good excercise
Cons
Hot and hard work
Photo Intern
Freelance Photo Assistant-Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2017
I learned quite a bit but Management was condescending and treated interns like babies. This was also before they started paying interns...so let's add lack of compensation to the mix.
Pros
learned about lighting and the business
Cons
management was condescending, no room for advancement
It was great place
Supervisor/Lead Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Totowa, NJDecember 4, 2017
I had a good experience at this job> we had to maintain 3 systems.
System 38 also and as/400 and a main frame. management was great. The manager was a little lazy.
Pros
The slow paced enviroment.
Cons
The company closed without warning