Hearst Corporation Employee Reviews

Great Management
Account Manager II (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 21, 2019
The management here is beyond great. I had the best bosses (was under two the time I was there). They were fantastic role-models. I really miss having management like what was given at CDS Global. Especially knowing now that I'll never get management like that again.

Pay wasn't great, but it's in Des Moines where cost of living is cheap. I had the ability to work from home.
Pros
Management, Work from home, Vacation whenever
Cons
Pay was on the lower end
Loved the people, Worried all the time
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 13, 2019
Loved the people I worked with. Felt like I had to worry about my job. Had higher expectations than others. Too many meetings. Learned the something over and over.
Pros
The people
Cons
the management
Don’t Come Here!!
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2019
Hearst Media, unfortunately, is a declining business. From an employee standpoint, this isn’t a place you go to for 30 years. I’d recommed 2 or 3.

Most of their media assets will be a lot smaller or won’t be around in 15-20 years (some sooner). They are struggling to grow their digital assets, partly due to their management. So how does Hearst keep pace with the Googles and Facebooks? They cut costs (AKA firing or laying off employees). Odds are they’ll keep reorganizing the businesses (firing employees) until they aren’t profitable anymore.

The culture here has gotten toxic. There is a lot of infighting and backstabbing amongst management. They constantly fight with each other. A lower level employee always gets blamed for their mistakes.

Women get hit on a lot especially by executives of the firm. They always try to flirt with people. That’s how they communicate eight women. I wonder what their goals are with these women.

Minorities barely have a chance to move up. Many of these racist executives like them at lower levels but won’t give them an opportunity to move up despite being better than their peers. They may even pull 1950s Jim Crow nonsense to get them to quit. They will make insensitive comments based on their race. They will racially abuse them and try to get other people in on it. Note this is behavior coming from the executives and directors of the firm.

Hearst has a poor, depressed culture caused by bad behavior from executives and an overall declining business filled with poor digital investments.
Great Team
Teleprompter Operator (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLFebruary 21, 2019
The Teleprompter operator has to make sure scripts are uploaded correctly. Once newscast begins,Teleprompter operator has to make sure to be in sync with the Anchor who is speaking. Great people to work with although high employee turnover.
Toxic and Tough Place For Minorities
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2019
I have seen minorities get dirty looks, treated badly and been told immigrants should be deported by a member of upper management. I’ve seen upper management including a member of the c suite bigot and treat minorities badly. There are a few people here who are racist. Be Careful!!! Be wary of them!!

I wonder if race has any impact on upward mobility. Would some of these racists consider a minority for promotion? Does Hearst even care that some miniorities are racially abused and bullied even sometimes by their superiors?
Difficult environment
STRATEGIC SOURCING/PROCESS IMPROVEMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 18, 2019
The newspaper business has been in a downward spiral for a number of years. As a result, Hearst Newspaper was in constant expense reduction mode, making those cuts primarily through staff reductions.
Bonuses vanished and no pay raises were given for the past 7-8 years.

Morale was poor at best.
Pros
Cons
Morale
Best work I’ve ever had
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  McCloud, CADecember 7, 2018
Beautiful and great place to work. Most of the crew was excellent. Shifts were very good. Work pace is off and on depending of guests. Pay was good with tips from guests.
Pros
Paid break and lunch
Cons
A couple coworkers
jjj
Account Executive Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2018
it was really really bad to work there all the dang time no one liked it. everyone quit and the management does not know what they are doping when I was there a
It was a very interesting atmosphere.
Marketing Intern, Good Housekeeping Magazine (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 3, 2018
When I interned there it was a dynamic place to work. My ideas were heard and implemented in the marketing plans. I was able to use my creativity to explore new ways of doing things.
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutDecember 3, 2018
My opinion is Hearst is a good company to work for. I helped them to advanced in technology with my experience. They appreciated the work I did and I was glad to work for them.
Its great
Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 20, 2018
It's a great place to work. I like the fact that we walk in pick up our papers and go. Sometimes there are interactions with the district managers to let us know what is going on.
Good company!
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 14, 2018
Very good company to work for! They did experience negative impacts due to downturn in the magazine industry. Good managers that were very approachable and flexible.
Pros
Flexibility, stable management
Cons
magazine industry is shrinking.
Management Makes a Difference
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2018
Managers attract top talent and keep their teams motivated. With all the change happening in the industry it's nice to see a company that is focused. It'll be interesting to watch the digital integration and see how teams are benefitting
No appreciation
Self Employed (Current Employee) –  Danbury ConnOctober 10, 2018
They hire you as a contractor to avoid paying fairly. Making us responsible for vehicles no mileage paid. The % rate keeps dropping but work load and miles are more. Pay check decreasing annually etc etc etc
Pros
Cons
No benefits no days off no vacation keep taking money from carriers
Productive and fun filled
Business Analyst/Project Test Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 1, 2018
Being accountable, we strive to incorporate the highest values into our work and aspire to do our best in all interactions. It's doing the right thing, in the right manner, for the right reasons, and with the right attitude.
Pros
Work From Home
Cons
Unstructured
Great company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 28, 2018
Hearst Texas is doing all it can to remain relevant but the industry is changing quickly. Budget cuts and shrinking circulation threaten the companies survival.
Pros
Great culture. Strong products.
Cons
Low pay and unsure future
Rock Music Station
Rock Promotions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 19, 2018
Worked in Radio, attended concerts, worked in studios, helped broadcasting at live events and set up off site venues. worked with interns and paid staff.
Pros
Concert tickets
Cons
not enough pay
Does not value employees or their time
Director of Application Development (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 4, 2018
Hearst does not offer a pension plan.
Hearst only matches 50 cents on the dollar for 401 K contributions
Hearst does not provide any type of overtime compensation

Salary increases fall in the range of 1-3% annualy.
Pros
Decent Health Benefits
Cons
See review above
flexible schedules, family friendly
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 22, 2018
The Hearst Corporation was a family friendly environment with flexible hours to work with your schedule. It was a good environment with good management and coworkers
great company if you can make it to the upper echelon
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
If you can make it to senior management (helps if you are an older white male), you can expect to basically have a job for life...lots of golden parachutes and made-up roles rather than letting people go. Instead people are cut left and right from the middle and lower levels.