Hearst Television Employee Reviews

Hearst TV: good for on-air bad for producers
Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2018
Hearst Television believes in promoting and retaining on-air personalities but has a turn-and-burn approach to producing. Managers for affiliate news stations in the lower markets appear inefficient, unprofessional and inexperienced.
Cons
Poor management
Very good Engineering team
IT Utility Engineer (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MENovember 15, 2017
Well organized station and Engineering Department. Very good support from Corporate on major projects. Equipment is always kept current and top of the line. Team is always willing to share knowledge and assist each other. Very enjoyable people.
Pros
Supportive atmosphere
Cons
This is a Union shop and it can be limiting to advancement and pay.
A conscious employer at a mindless job
Order Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28204November 1, 2017
When asked if I liked my job, I always answered "Of course, but it's the work I don't like." It's a job, it pays the bills, but data entry will always be mind numbing. With that in mind, everyone who worked there recognized that the job is a tedious, monotonous, grind. They treated everyone with respect and tried to make to office life pleasant and engaging.

Hearst is transparent, fair, and friendly. I'd be happy to work for them again.
Pros
Communication, good management, easy going work atmosphere, benefits, respected space, comfy chairs, occasional free meals
Cons
boring work, expensive parking
Supposed to be a solid company... sadly this shop is far from it
Worker Bee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 20, 2017
Work life balance is non existent.
If you have a family, look else where. If you have kids, child care concerns... run. If you would like any semblance of a life... this isn't the place for you.

Your free time is simply time you are "on-call" for the station. While WLWT is a union shop, they do not follow the rules and regulations and you are targeted if you bring them up.

This place is about as inflexible as they come. Management has unrealistic expectations, frequently treat behind the scenes and most on-air talent like garbage.

I had heard stories that Hearst is a good company to work for... but have been extremely disappointed. Unfortunately Hearst Corp. located in New York either doesn't care or is unaware how bad things are here.

This station is a solid third place shop, as managers drag the the station down to number 4.
Pros
Union Shop
Cons
Union rules not followed or enforced
In short, terrible company
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  OrlandoSeptember 18, 2017
Management is unbelievably poor. Employees show up late or don't do their work and there is no accountability. The worst part is management has no touch with reality when dealing with their employees. Had us working ridiculous hours. The pay is super cheap for the amount of work we do. Rarely promoted within the company. Would never recommend working here. The only thing good about this company is the health benefits.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Bad management, low pay, inflexible, cheap, hostile work environment
Great co-workers
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 11, 2017
I love 90% of the people that work here.
There has been a large turnover lately and it seems that they just hired bodies. Those bodies, dont really know the job. They simply fill a spot.
Hearst Telvistion
Floor Director/Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 31, 2017
I was a floor director, I loved what I did, designing shots that aired on live TV, also working with the anchors. They simply did not pay enough I would have loved to advance, but I need to worry about my family.
Good people
Photojournalist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 27, 2017
Enjoyed working with everyone but it is a fast stressful environment. Hours can be long depending on the news of the day. Lifestyle balance is difficult.
Pros
Good people
Difficult work environment.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 17, 2017
Sales support is fantastic but over whelmed with the work load. Superior on air product. Inferior digital products.

Not a healthy work environment.

Vacation time has increased, definitely a positive.
Pros
3 weeks vacation
Stressful Job with great Management
Newscast Director (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 13, 2017
A typical day at WAPT in Jackson is slow as we start each day with an hour long meeting, but that's no issue because it quickly starts as we record Promos, Webcasts, and newscasts in the following 4 hrs. The biggest draw back about the job is how slow upper management drags their feet once an employee quits or is fired. We usually go at least 3 months before filling a position, it takes at least a month for them to even post the job the position online. I have been working 6 and 7 day weeks for over 3 months because of the slow moving hiring process.
Pros
Management is incredibly kind & understanding
Cons
Constant hiring freezes, lower pay than competition

Want to know more about Hearst Television?

Ask a question
Former Employee at KSBW
News (Former Employee) –  KSBWJuly 31, 2017
Overall, Hearst is an amazing company to work for, however KSBW can use some major improvement. KSBW is extremely cheap and you wont get the pay you deserve. Overall management could be a lot better. If you are not in management, you will not only be known as, "the help" but also treated as the help. You will not get acknowledgement from anybody, so don't look for high praises. The station manager is out of touch with his employees and should no way be a leader.

If media is not your career, then do not work here. If you want to work in media and gain media experience or work at a place that will make your resume look good, then this is the place for you.
Pros
A well known company and community leader
Cons
management and pay
Hearst Corporate is a company with a heart, and micro manages.
Production Manage / Design Director (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 3, 2017
The human aspect is fairly dysfunctional. The physical plant is fair to good. Excellent benefits.
This is a successful broadcast facility, yet it is filled with malcontent and under experienced management.
Upper management is self-serving, often tasking employees with personal projects. Corporate management is old school and cookie cutter.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Low pay, combined with dismal annual increases plus a low esteem workplace.
Utterly unbearable
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  USAApril 13, 2017
Can only speak for the location that I worked at, but if you enjoy being micromanaged and completely ignored, then this might just be the organization to work for. Upper management does not relate with staff members. For a television station that is supposed to serve the community, their lacking participation in anything that is not their own idea was extremely disappointing. Egos a-plenty. And having direct contact with the GSM on a day to day basis, I can attest that despite her years of experience, she is completely out of touch with the day to day working of her employees and gives no support.
Great Experience
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Needham, MAApril 5, 2017
Great workplace with a friendly community. There is plenty to learn but everyone is helpful in teaching you as your ability to do your job well eases theirs. Management is very productive and hands on and more often than not do what they can do to assist you.
Team oriented environment
Corporate Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 19, 2017
New Centralized Accounting Depy for local broadcast division. Local broadcast industry has undergone centralization and downsizing during Great Recession.
Pros
Activities, free lunches, promotional items, educational opportunities.
Cons
Uptown Charlotte location.
Great Company
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 10, 2017
Great Company to work for. Many opportunities and it is located in a lot of states across the U.S. The entire team works together accomplish the goal seamlessly.
Fast Paced
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 15, 2016
Strong training, new business development, manage existing account list. Major Corporation in media advertising. Print, broadcast and digital advertising.
Trying to move up
Teleprompter Operator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 30, 2016
I began he as an intern and moved up to prompter. I enjoy working for this station but want to move up. I doubt that is possible at my location.
it was fun
Weather Intern (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLMay 20, 2016
I enjoyed it very much for an internship. I gained alot of experience through it and feel confident in my abilities to move to the real world job environment
Great Place to work!
Client Service Specialists (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 6, 2016
Great organization for anyone in media. Great place to get started. Awesome management team! ! ! ! ! ! Great Place to work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hearst Television. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.8Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight