Hearst Television Employee Reviews

A real leader in thier field
Local Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 21, 2018
Hearst is one of the best. If you are looking for a positive atmosphere with the ability to grow and develop as a professional, Hearst is the company for you.
Doing the work of 2 people
NATIONAL SALES ASSISTANT, KSBW/NSBW (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CAAugust 29, 2018
The position has given me an opportunity to learn a new order entry system. I have started working with clients on a National level where previously I have worked with only local clients and agencies.The people I work with are great.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Pay does not equal work I do
Wonderful place to work
Videographer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, NHJune 6, 2018
News is a tough industry to be in with the always breaking news and unpredictable days but WMUR is a wonderful place to work and truly cares for all of its employees from the interns to the CEO. Every day is something new from what you cover to what you see which makes for a wonderful experience.
Pros
Work Vehicle and gear provided
Cons
Constant change, changing schedule
Challenging but fair
Senior Digital Curator, National News Desk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 6, 2018
This is a good company with an atmosphere that challenges you while providing the tools to excel. There are good people here, and a collaborative culture is fostered.
Fun atmosphere. Part-Time Beware
Photojournalist and Video Editor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 24, 2018
It has a great culture, diverse, fun people. Hours are not friendly for part timers. Overnights and Weekends. Extremely fast paced. Little to no opportunity for growth, unless a full-timer quits, gets fired, retires, etc...
Pros
Front row to the news
Cons
Hours, no room for upward motion, compensation
Great Employer
On Air Talent (Current Employee) –  MarylandFebruary 2, 2018
The benefits, pay, vacation time and co workers are outstanding. There is a corporate atmosphere that has really taken hold since 2009 where bottom lines seem more important than individual employees, but all in all it is the best company I have ever worked for. This is a union shop for all on air employees in TV and radio. You will be expected to join and pay dues. If there is an opening you should apply.
Pros
Cons
Union isn't as strong as it used to be
Hearst TV: good for on-air bad for producers
Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2018
Hearst Television believes in promoting and retaining on-air personalities but has a turn-and-burn approach to producing. Managers for affiliate news stations in the lower markets appear inefficient, unprofessional and inexperienced.
Cons
Poor management
Very good Engineering team
IT Utility Engineer (Current Employee) –  Westbrook, MENovember 15, 2017
Well organized station and Engineering Department. Very good support from Corporate on major projects. Equipment is always kept current and top of the line. Team is always willing to share knowledge and assist each other. Very enjoyable people.
Pros
Supportive atmosphere
Cons
This is a Union shop and it can be limiting to advancement and pay.
A conscious employer at a mindless job
Order Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28204November 1, 2017
When asked if I liked my job, I always answered "Of course, but it's the work I don't like." It's a job, it pays the bills, but data entry will always be mind numbing. With that in mind, everyone who worked there recognized that the job is a tedious, monotonous, grind. They treated everyone with respect and tried to make to office life pleasant and engaging.

Hearst is transparent, fair, and friendly. I'd be happy to work for them again.
Pros
Communication, good management, easy going work atmosphere, benefits, respected space, comfy chairs, occasional free meals
Cons
boring work, expensive parking
Supposed to be a solid company... sadly this shop is far from it
Worker Bee (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 20, 2017
Work life balance is non existent.
If you have a family, look else where. If you have kids, child care concerns... run. If you would like any semblance of a life... this isn't the place for you.

Your free time is simply time you are "on-call" for the station. While WLWT is a union shop, they do not follow the rules and regulations and you are targeted if you bring them up.

This place is about as inflexible as they come. Management has unrealistic expectations, frequently treat behind the scenes and most on-air talent like garbage.

I had heard stories that Hearst is a good company to work for... but have been extremely disappointed. Unfortunately Hearst Corp. located in New York either doesn't care or is unaware how bad things are here.

This station is a solid third place shop, as managers drag the the station down to number 4.
Pros
Union Shop
Cons
Union rules not followed or enforced
In short, terrible company
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  OrlandoSeptember 18, 2017
Management is unbelievably poor. Employees show up late or don't do their work and there is no accountability. The worst part is management has no touch with reality when dealing with their employees. Had us working ridiculous hours. The pay is super cheap for the amount of work we do. Rarely promoted within the company. Would never recommend working here. The only thing good about this company is the health benefits.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Bad management, low pay, inflexible, cheap, hostile work environment
Great co-workers
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 11, 2017
I love 90% of the people that work here.
There has been a large turnover lately and it seems that they just hired bodies. Those bodies, dont really know the job. They simply fill a spot.
Hearst Telvistion
Floor Director/Camera Operator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 31, 2017
I was a floor director, I loved what I did, designing shots that aired on live TV, also working with the anchors. They simply did not pay enough I would have loved to advance, but I need to worry about my family.
Good people
Photojournalist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 27, 2017
Enjoyed working with everyone but it is a fast stressful environment. Hours can be long depending on the news of the day. Lifestyle balance is difficult.
Pros
Good people
Difficult work environment.
Sales (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 17, 2017
Sales support is fantastic but over whelmed with the work load. Superior on air product. Inferior digital products.

Not a healthy work environment.

Vacation time has increased, definitely a positive.
Pros
3 weeks vacation
Stressful Job with great Management
Newscast Director (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 13, 2017
A typical day at WAPT in Jackson is slow as we start each day with an hour long meeting, but that's no issue because it quickly starts as we record Promos, Webcasts, and newscasts in the following 4 hrs. The biggest draw back about the job is how slow upper management drags their feet once an employee quits or is fired. We usually go at least 3 months before filling a position, it takes at least a month for them to even post the job the position online. I have been working 6 and 7 day weeks for over 3 months because of the slow moving hiring process.
Pros
Management is incredibly kind & understanding
Cons
Constant hiring freezes, lower pay than competition
Former Employee at KSBW
News (Former Employee) –  KSBWJuly 31, 2017
Overall, Hearst is an amazing company to work for, however KSBW can use some major improvement. KSBW is extremely cheap and you wont get the pay you deserve. Overall management could be a lot better. If you are not in management, you will not only be known as, "the help" but also treated as the help. You will not get acknowledgement from anybody, so don't look for high praises. The station manager is out of touch with his employees and should no way be a leader.

If media is not your career, then do not work here. If you want to work in media and gain media experience or work at a place that will make your resume look good, then this is the place for you.
Pros
A well known company and community leader
Cons
management and pay
Hearst Corporate is a company with a heart, and micro manages.
Production Manage / Design Director (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 3, 2017
The human aspect is fairly dysfunctional. The physical plant is fair to good. Excellent benefits.
This is a successful broadcast facility, yet it is filled with malcontent and under experienced management.
Upper management is self-serving, often tasking employees with personal projects. Corporate management is old school and cookie cutter.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Low pay, combined with dismal annual increases plus a low esteem workplace.
Utterly unbearable
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  USAApril 13, 2017
Can only speak for the location that I worked at, but if you enjoy being micromanaged and completely ignored, then this might just be the organization to work for. Upper management does not relate with staff members. For a television station that is supposed to serve the community, their lacking participation in anything that is not their own idea was extremely disappointing. Egos a-plenty. And having direct contact with the GSM on a day to day basis, I can attest that despite her years of experience, she is completely out of touch with the day to day working of her employees and gives no support.
Great Experience
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Needham, MAApril 5, 2017
Great workplace with a friendly community. There is plenty to learn but everyone is helpful in teaching you as your ability to do your job well eases theirs. Management is very productive and hands on and more often than not do what they can do to assist you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hearst Television. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight