Heartland Alliance Employee Reviews

relaxing environment and career skills on the job
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  1200 W. Roosevelt rdJuly 12, 2018
overall it was a great job. i learned career skills on the job, resume building, leadership skills, and basic technical work. i would recommend this job for a great seasonal position.
Pros
short hours and if you finished work early there networking oppertunities for you to take part in
Cons
the pay is short because its a program designed and tay
Depends on which program you are working
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2018
I started part-time at a great facility then transferred to a full-time position doing the same thing at another facility. The location was infested with insects of all sorts.
Pros
Compensated well
Cons
Site was not sanitary
Part-time work only
Spanish Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2018
I enjoyed being a medical interpreter. Working for an agency makes full-time work impossible. There are days when you have several appointments then many other days when you are not assigned to any clients. It is impossible to make a living wage working as an interpreter for any agency.
Heartland Alliance Health is a great company and I like their mission
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2018
Heartland Alliance Health is a great company to start out with if your new to the medical field and need to gain experience and knowledge. there's certainly a lot you can take can take with you in your medical professional role.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
little pay
Unorganized
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2018
They was so unprofessional
Departments was confused on hw to handle vendors
Their day to day task was unclear
Office site was never clean
Too much personal life talking during working hours
Good place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 26, 2018
This was a good place to work. Mostly everyone was friendly and no one was judgmental. Everyone worked together and no one was ever blamed for something.
Workplace
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 24, 2018
The moral is low and in need of a boost. As far as salary they need to come into the 21st century and give their employees compensation to go with their work experience.
Director of Finance, Grants Administration (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2018
Great place to work. Excellent work life family balance. Productive and excellent associates and colleagues. Management very responsive to employees' professional development.
International opportunities as expatriates to those who so desired.
compassionate and healthy work environment
Volunteer ESL Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2018
you get to do good work and help people learn english and pass citizenship exams. Helpful management, and understanding when it comes to balancing work and personal life.
All depends on the department
Asset Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2018
A typical work day is very chill. My job includes meeting with clients and providing resources and case management. I have the ability to meet with my clients throughout the city and gives a lot of freedom.
Pros
freedom
Cons
Social Services pay
Program Directors Need a Shakeup
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2018
4 directors in under 2 years says a lot about one program. A revolving door of highly motivated, exceptional staff who left because those same directors either did not support them or actively ignored their requests for work/life balance or request for professional development. HA has the potential to be an incredible human rights organization but it needs to make strides to meet the minimum basic rights of their employees. If you work here, be prepared to work and perform only 20% of your actual work duties, the rest of the time you will be asked to perform duties that have nothing to do with your qualifications and everything to do with the low staff coverage because everyone has either quit or is too exhausted with the unreal expectations set by those directors. Be prepared to have your work schedule changed on a whim under the guise of "programmatic needs", your judgment constantly second guessed and remaining, traumatized coworkers become too afraid to speak up about program abuses going on.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
Program Directors
Was a gratefully experience
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2018
The experience of working with children who arrive undocumented in the country is immense. It is surprising to see how these children come with so many social, emotional and family difficulties, they are great survivors at such a young age. Actually, they are very brave
Pros
personal enrichment
Cons
the administrative decisions
45000 per year
Housing Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2018
I house homeless Veterans and families. I sent in check request for clients to make sure rent is paid I deal with Property management companies. Cases notes. I have learned to dealt with different personality. I work with different cultures I work fulltime I enjoy working with clients it makes me feel good to help someone off the streets.
A very well supportive work place
Job Coach Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 15, 2018
The experience working with guys is very rewarding if you really want to help people to succeed in their life choses. Making a profound imprint is well received.
Great way for entry level
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2018
Working at Heartland Alliance has taught me a lot as well as given a lot of opportunities to grow.

You will always have people who complain about everything, but as long as you're a good worker and complete your tasks, you are set for success.

Hardest part of the job is lack of communication with staff and supervisors.

I worked in a residential facility. The place was fast paced as you are constantly supervising minors.

It is a rewarding job and you get amazing benefits. Only problem is that you get no weekends and the schedules are all over the place.

Overall, the job is easy. It's a great job to get right after college and get some experience under your belt.
Pros
Benefits. Time off
Cons
No weekends off. Working hours (4pm-12:30am or 12am-8:30am). High turnover rate
Nice place for homeless population
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2018
There are a plethora of ways that heartland help the disenfranchised to try to get ahead, at least with medical and mental health issues that could not otherwise be accomplished without health insurance.
Pros
Paid half-hour lunch unpaid other half and two fifteens
Cons
Not enough pay
Above Avergar Pay bit you will be put to work
Housing Resource Specialist - Supportive Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2018
Above average pay but you will be put to work. Sometimes it seems that for the amount of work that needs to be done at such a fast pace it is easy to feel underpaid
Pros
Benefits, Paid Time Off
Cons
Work enviorment can be hit or miss dependi g on the department you work
I worked in a clinic in Uplift High School
Program Assistant (Temporary Position) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2018
I met a lof of people. I wish it could have been a permanent job. I went out into the community and informed people about County Care, an Illinois Medicaid Program. I went door to door talking to people. I did follow up phone calls, and I also processed applications for the insurance.
Traveling job
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2018
I learn medical terms because most of my customers request service of medical interpretation. But sometimes I have to make long trips to perform services.
Management team are friendly and helpful.
Fun place
Employment Specialist and Transalator (Former Employee) –  Cook County, ILDecember 6, 2017
Working here was great in terms of helping the community. The main task that would take up all of your time would be to help the refugees settle into their new homes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heartland Alliance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight