Heartland Alliance Employee Reviews

45000 per year
Housing Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2018
I house homeless Veterans and families. I sent in check request for clients to make sure rent is paid I deal with Property management companies. Cases notes. I have learned to dealt with different personality. I work with different cultures I work fulltime I enjoy working with clients it makes me feel good to help someone off the streets.
Nice place for homeless population
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2018
There are a plethora of ways that heartland help the disenfranchised to try to get ahead, at least with medical and mental health issues that could not otherwise be accomplished without health insurance.
Pros
Paid half-hour lunch unpaid other half and two fifteens
Cons
Not enough pay
I worked in a clinic in Uplift High School
Program Assistant (Temporary Position) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2018
I met a lof of people. I wish it could have been a permanent job. I went out into the community and informed people about County Care, an Illinois Medicaid Program. I went door to door talking to people. I did follow up phone calls, and I also processed applications for the insurance.
Traveling job
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 4, 2018
I learn medical terms because most of my customers request service of medical interpretation. But sometimes I have to make long trips to perform services.
Management team are friendly and helpful.
Fun place
Employment Specialist and Transalator (Former Employee) –  Cook County, ILDecember 6, 2017
Working here was great in terms of helping the community. The main task that would take up all of your time would be to help the refugees settle into their new homes
a lot of freedom
Truckdriver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 22, 2017
It was a nice organization to work for at the beginning. The atmosphere was like family. When i started working here it i was part of an organization called Vital Bridges. We were like family. My co-workers were some of the best people i ever met. to this day we are still friends. When we merged with Heartland Alliance this went down hill. Our hours were cut. Then our days were cut. Some of the people i met from Heartland were real nice. Its a shame that we had so many cuts at Vital Bridges. I could honestly say i looked forward going to work everyday.
Great Internship Opportunities
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2017
I interned at Heartland Alliance in my first year of my Master of Social Work program. I gained experience in working with diver populations which lead to success in my next jobs as cultural competency is highly valued in social services.
Exciting
Employment Case Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2017
Conducted Analysis.Worked directly with the clients to achieve transition/convert to main stream of society. Preformed initial client assessment.Provided effective case management.
Pros
Great client celebrations
good place to work
Case Manager/ Youth Care Worker II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2017
I only ever worked there part-time, but I still felt that the work environment was supportive and promoted work place advancement. The management team is great.
Great place to work if you are in it for the client
International Children's Center case manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2017
Heartland Alliance is a great place to work if you are dedicated to direct service. Advancement is hard due to Heartland being "Unionized". Promotions are based on seniority and not skill or work ethic. Heartland is also very corporate and their is a clear line between management and staff. Change and improvement to programs are slow and often suggestions on improvement are ignored. The culture seems friendly but their is a lot of gossip and back stabbing. If you have an issue from HR don't expect management support, as they are often told not to intervene. Finally many of the upper management lack in people skills and don't know how to how to professionally address issues. These senior managers are in place because of seniority and many started when the doors opened.
If you are about helping clients and are good at ignoring the obvious flaws and low pay then this is a great place to work, but if you are looking for advancement and have a hard time with corporate politics move on.
Pros
Free meal per shift, Great Clients
Cons
Corporate environment, lack of professional growth do to senority
Awful
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 27, 2017
Poor management High wrist work no teamwork overworked members poor treatment poor treatment of staff awful awful awful wouldn't recommend a dog to stay there
good place
Case manager-bilingual (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 26, 2017
staff are nice and try to help as much as they can would need some extra support for them and managers would be nice, working in this environment made me learn more about diversity, culture etc.
Pros
lots of benefits
Cons
schedule
Fun place to work.
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 14, 2017
Love working there! Management team is always available. The people there are great to work with. This job is very rewarding and definitely a great experience. The trainings are awesome!
A good place where to work.
Senior Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 12, 2017
Interac with Young population from different cultures,learn different point of view from different young population. Friendly environment . The hardest part of the job is to keep consistence with the rules. The most enjoyable is interact with the young population.
Benefits
Cons
low salary
Slow-paced work
Nutrition Aide, Golden Diners Program (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2017
The work is fairly easy and slow paced. After feeding the elderly, and cleaning the work space, there's nothing else to do but mingle with the senior residence.
Pros
Easy, slow-paced work
Cons
no benefits
A typical day at work was to keep busy and practice my training a proactive therapist.
Volunteer job (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2017
It was a good job. It was busy and the time went by fast. Their were alot of things to do so everybody worked in groups. It was a very open bunch of people that worked together.
Pros
Super work environment
Cons
No cons
Nice work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2017
Working for this company was very beneficial. I had lots of time on my hands while still getting good pay working there. I recommend this job for anyone who was something small and not too overwhelming.
productive and helpful place
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 26, 2017
a typical day is working with the participants and med monitoring for participant helping the participant with day to day needs as a result I have learned to be patient, management over all is good the hardest part of the job is losing a participant the most enjoyable part of the job is working with participants watching them grow.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
alot of turn overs
Great opportunity but no future
Lead Family Reunification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2017
The hardest part of the job is management and the best is the relationships with the participants. There is no such thing as a typical day at work. The workplace culture is dangerous but you can find golden nuggets.
Great Place to work
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2017
Great Place to work. All different shifts a lot of over time. A lot of room for advancement. Great people, awesome staff and the job is very fulfilling especially in the social service field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heartland Alliance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Heartland Alliance Reviews by Location