Heartland Alliance Employee Reviews

worth working with and great goal to serve humanity
IL (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 11, 2019
It is a place to work with good professional and the population we are serving are much in need to support and help, I love working at Heartland Alliance
Run, dont walk away from this place!!!!
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 27, 2019
Words cannot describe how horrible this place is. We were harassed and bullied for over a year and no one did anything. Upper management are all liars
Pros
Cons
Their master manipulators
Heartland Housing
Affordable Housing Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2019
Heartland Alliance is a great organization.
They struggle to to it right however.
I wish them the best of luck.

They are social workers providing housing.
The job is easy however you're micromanaged constantly by managers and several cameras strategically put in every corner to catch you breaking a rule.
Youth Care Worker 3 (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2019
Loved working with the kids. They make coming to work bearable. The management has since put so many rules in place that it feels like staff are incarcerated too. It has changed the entire morale of the staff. It also affects the clients as well.
Pros
An hour lunch. Two fifteen minute breaks. Extra pay on holidays.
Cons
You work weekends, open 24 hours a day, no empathy if you're sick and their short staffed. They take ut personal.
Horrible work environment, intimidating management, unfair workload, no employee satisfaction whatsoever
Family Reunification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2019
I can go on and on. All the staff in SAFEty programs are overworked and unappreciated. Most staff do not take break. The expectations are extremely unrealistic. Family Reunification Specialists are constantly targeted for "not doing what they are supposed to do" when there are a hundred things to be done in just eight hours and ninety nine are done, they will be yelled for one that couldn't be done. Management does not listen to the staff, make their own rules and can be intimidating at times. The stress level is so high that employees feel that the job will negatively impact their overall health. Constant burn outs lead to high turnover. There is no good amount of training. You have to learn by your mistake and beware when you make one mistake they will be all after you. Workload is excessive, especially during influxes and other times too. Management will never hear you and expect you to work like a super human. All shelters under SAFEty have terrible work environment. Management tells you to work according to priorities but there are so many priorities that one cannot complete all of them and it will be hard to even start tasks that may not have priority. Family reunification specialists also have to help with residence a lot and it impacts their goal but Management will not care. This company is very dysfunctional and needs help.
Pros
You get to witness great impacts in some vulnerable children's lives
Cons
terrible management, unjustifiable workload, very low employee morale
fun productive work place
YOUTH CARE WORKER II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2019
very professional great workplace, very diverse people are very friendly. I would always recommend this company to everyone great benefits. they welcome you
Pros
an hour lunch break
Great Experience, Little Pay
Youthcare Worker II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 15, 2018
Heartland Alliance helps those in need. Populations can range from homeless to immigrants and young children to adults. I worked with homeless immigrant adolescents. It was a pleasure working with people of different ethnicities and backgrounds. They always need people who speak more than one language. At the facility that I worked at, the shifts run from 1st shift 8:00am-4:30pm, 2nd shift 4:00pm-12:30am, and 3rd shift 12:00am-8:30am. I recommend to apply for the shift time that you wish to work because once a team member, shift preference is given based on seniority. My starting pay was 15.25 as 2nd shift based on about 1 year of experience with children and 14.25 as 1st shift. 2nd shift gets a pay differential due to working part of the night hours.

I would describe my experience as bitter sweet. The kids is what makes you stay. You monitor them as they attend school and switch from programming activity to the next. However, you take on many roles such as babysitter, janitor, food service, medicine point person, and teacher. You give medicine, teach groups on different topics, wash dishes, do laundry, etc. I think that for everything that I did, I did not get paid enough. I had already completed a bachelors degree. Also during the 4 month probation period, it seems as if everyone is just looking at whatever you do wrong to put it on your progress note with the supervisor. As with every job, some of your coworkers will be childish, tell the manager on everything, or do things to make themselves look good, while others will be good team players.

The thing that I hated
  more... the most was that you cannot take breaks outside of the facility. Everyone had to stay inside.

I would advise anyone wanting to work here to take the job for the experience and then move on somewhere else. You can always transfer to another organization within Heartland in something else. They have medical clinics, homeless housing organizations, and more.
Pros
The participants, Time off (12 day per year, 2 personal days, 1 floating holiday)
Cons
cannot take breaks outside facility, little pay
Very poor management administration
Residential Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 25, 2018
The job condition is very poor there is no educational material provided to teach. The participants are not learning to their school grade level. They do not have text books neithei school supplies.
Horrible Company
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 9, 2018
This place treats their employees horribly. The moral is so low that there is a constant rotation of new people. The people in management positions are unqualified and play favorites with employees. Whatever your job description is, will not be what you actually do when you are hired so beware. The company expects people to sacrifice and overextend themselves for horrible pay.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Everything else
Productive,uplifting
Employee (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2018
Its an uplifting job with many benefits .They have a group every morning It's called cad,its basically like personal development.They have housing for those trying to get on their feet.It's a great job.
Pros
You receive a daily stipend for 25 dollars if u show up on time.
Cons
Cant go and get lunch must have one prepared
very depressing no windows
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2018
I learned to be more flexible. A regular day includes staff giving patients a slap on the wrist every time. The job is ok ready for something new. Management doesn't know or understand how to manage a office.
Pros
supporting those who appreciate your dental work
Cons
lack of management, space, direction and security
Fun work place
Facilitator (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 17, 2018
I enjoyed working at Heartland Alliance, the culture was proactive and inclusive. Management listened and took into account your point of view. I would recommend this organization to friends.
Good place
Catering Chef (Current Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILSeptember 4, 2018
I like to work here , because hearland alliance is a company that work for the people and help the persons with low resources.
Also I like to work with kids and this company offered me this opportunity
This place showed me what it means to be ecxellent
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2018
The people you meet are the most caring individuals when it comes to their views on how we treat children. I was honored to know them as even the most American new the Spanish language just to give the best care to children. The company is among the most reputable in the social worker field and I am honored to have worked for them and have them on my resume.
Pros
You will advance if you focus
Cons
Better pay would be good especially in Chicago
relaxing environment and career skills on the job
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  1200 W. Roosevelt rdJuly 12, 2018
overall it was a great job. i learned career skills on the job, resume building, leadership skills, and basic technical work. i would recommend this job for a great seasonal position.
Pros
short hours and if you finished work early there networking oppertunities for you to take part in
Cons
the pay is short because its a program designed and tay
Depends on which program you are working
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2018
I started part-time at a great facility then transferred to a full-time position doing the same thing at another facility. The location was infested with insects of all sorts.
Pros
Compensated well
Cons
Site was not sanitary
Part-time work only
Spanish Medical Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2018
I enjoyed being a medical interpreter. Working for an agency makes full-time work impossible. There are days when you have several appointments then many other days when you are not assigned to any clients. It is impossible to make a living wage working as an interpreter for any agency.
Heartland Alliance Health is a great company and I like their mission
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2018
Heartland Alliance Health is a great company to start out with if your new to the medical field and need to gain experience and knowledge. there's certainly a lot you can take can take with you in your medical professional role.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
little pay
Unorganized
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2018
They was so unprofessional
Departments was confused on hw to handle vendors
Their day to day task was unclear
Office site was never clean
Too much personal life talking during working hours
Good place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 26, 2018
This was a good place to work. Mostly everyone was friendly and no one was judgmental. Everyone worked together and no one was ever blamed for something.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heartland Alliance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight