Heartland Dental, LLC Employee Reviews

Unorganized
EFDA (Current Employee) –  FloridaMarch 17, 2019
-Very unorganized atmosphere.
-No one is on the same page.
-High turn over rate

I've been with my office a few years. I come to management rarely because when I do I am turned away and nothing is done about it. This fake positivity energy is displayed as if positivity alone will fix errors. Patients are treated better than employees. They tell you communication is important and leadership in your role is key but If you speak up or bring something to light they immediately shut you down as if you're just being negative and there isn't actually an issue that needs to be resolved. I was working 12 hour shifts without a lunch for a year... I still rarely get a lunch. Management wants nothing to do with lunches and tells you that assistants are in charge of making time for their own lunches but if you leave to get food they treat you like you're a slacker/ you're in trouble. Also there is 3 columns across all day long with restorative next to restorative and only two assistants per one doctor. How is there time to go to lunch? They act like they are helping you out by telling you to "go ahead and run to the back and take a few bites of your food.".... That's not a lunch and it's not legal.

I can go on and on... Dr's are nice for the most part but expect the world out of assistants for very low pay. Also, we're scolded first thing every single morning if we don't meet our $15,000 production goal the day before. You only get a 1% raise YEARLY and act as if you should be pleased with what they are giving you. I can go to any private practice and get quite a bit more an hour.
  more... The reason I've stayed is because I am too loyal in all honesty. I have multiple certifications and know I am worth dollars more than what I am paid. The ONLY good thing about this company has going for them is vacation time and benefits. Everything else is HORRIBLE. They also hire front desk at the same pay rate as experienced certified dental assistants that have professional training. Hygienists and doctors are treated like gold and assistants are the entire office slaves. Hygienist don't ever have to clean or help with ANYTHING and assistants are expected to not only run around all day long (literally run- I walk 6,000 on average steps in a work day) without lunches but also clean after everyone, work on the schedule, do inventory, do all the house duties and do receptionist duties. If we see a scheduling error we are told we need to call the patient and fix the BA's mistake because the front is too busy with other things... As if assistants aren't busy. They have computer modules that you are supposed to complete by a certain amount of time or you do not get raises. They do not give you any time to complete this and tell you that you should consider doing it at home... Again I think it's illegal for them to tell you to work from home for free because they can't afford for you to not be on the floor for an hour.

Maybe other offices are different but this office has put a mental strain on me. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE to apply for this office... Maybe other Heartland offices are better but it doesn't look like it from the reviews I'm reading.
Benefits
Cons
No lunches, below average pay, favoritism, unorganized
Poor Management
Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  SpokaneMarch 14, 2019
It's a scheme. Don't do it. Very poor management and communication. They promise you one thing and lead you on and never follow through. The benefits are ok, although they don't match any money in your 401K.
Pros
Cons
poor management, lack of communication and training
very nice atmosphere
Business Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Estero, FLFebruary 25, 2019
I loved my job at heartland dental, if i didn't have to move I would've never left. Overall heartland takes care of their employees and I couldn't ask for anything better!
Pros
free dental care
Cons
Loved the doctors and coworkers
Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLFebruary 24, 2019
Working here opened a door for a lifelong family. Truly there aren’t many negatives. One was the working hours. It’s difficult if you have a family. The other is the management was inconsistent. This makes it challenging to truly flourish. The regional manager is like a knight in shining armor though. She is the anchor. However, she needs a firm foundation of management underneath her before it begins to be to much. She’s a rockstar for sure. The doctors are incredible and I plan to stay in touch.
Pros
Continuing education
Cons
Hours, inconsistent management
Corporate greed
Office Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 21, 2019
This is the worst dental company I have ever worked for. Nothing but greed, every patient "needs" Invisalign. I have ethics and could not see another person being conned into unnecessary treatment. They hire staff that don't know what the heck they are doing. The phone system was extremely annoying, they monitor your calls. PSR sucked and always screwed up making your job up front more difficult. I couldn't even stand to work there for 6 months. Don't ever work for a corporate dental company, they don't know what they are doing.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Everything else
Do not work here unless you’re truly desperate
DA (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAFebruary 16, 2019
Family denstistry of Short Pump don’t care about their employees or their personal life. All they care about is numbers ! This office will work you to death and then be mad and throw you out when you’re too mentally exhausted to function anymore. The hours are joke!!! Thy want you to work ALL DAY UNDER STAFFED AND NOT GET OVER TIME ! God forbid if you get over time. There’s no work / life balance. You’re life will be in this office being chased by the doctors all day while trying to get work done. It’s impossible to get anything done at this office since all they do is book he schedule to it’s full extent to meet goals and not care if they have enough staff to fulfill all the patients. The dental benefits they offer their employees is a complete JOKE ! They never respect that and will always remove you from the schedule without telling you and not giving you a real reason why. Please stay away from this corporation.
Pros
Cons
No real benefits, no life/ work balance. No over time. No fair wage
Huge turnover
Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, FLFebruary 16, 2019
In 7 months had 3 managers and 8 other people leave. The managers are horrible that they hired. The very last manager did nothing would not help with patients at all. If a patient even asked to speak to the manager she told you to handle it
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Managers
Awesome workplace
Business Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springdale, ARFebruary 11, 2019
Working for Heartland has been an amazing experience, the team is great and they treat you well. If Dental is your thing go and work here. You will love it here
Its all smoke and mirrors..
Clinician (Former Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 9, 2019
Having Never worked in corporate Dentistry before, I had NO CLUE what I was in for-

MY 1ST DAY Began with a 3 hour staff meeting..The POM didnt even introduce me to other staff members or welcome me to the office..no one even tried to befriend me or even acknowledge my existence! I basicly sat by myself LOST
by all their acronyms used in discussion..what did seem redundant was HOW EVERYTHING revolved around SALES & GOALS , Pushing Same day treatment.etc- Spread sheets, timelines, Virtual classroom requirements, and some Serious BRAIN WASHING!!
They Hired me for specific days/hours..provided written start times.told me to arrive 20mins b4 1st patient.etc-
However, Ithat all changed, & I was told to arrive 2 hrs b4 my start time..for daily , meetings on top of the existing daily meetings..so many meeting ALL pushing numbers ,
So my 10 hR WK days quickly turned into 12-13 hours
as they Cram whoever they can into the schedule to MAKE THAT MONEY. which ment DA's.Would walk in at 6:30am.have meetings til 9am then see patients from 9-7or 8pm or as long as the Dr would take-
I was not Fluid with their software , nor had I done All the Dr Notes, correspondence , I.O. lay out, Scanning Patients, HH info in, and a million other things..in addtn' to the many Clinic responsibilities that come with the job-
I WAS THROWN TO THE WOLVES .and expected to Do everything without being taught..
I asked for help, reminded them That this part of dentistry was new to me. and I Needed to be trained .
That fell on Def ears !.My POM kept saying don't worry we will get you there..But then
  more... did nothing..The Dr belittled me & made me feel stupid for not knowing HOW to navigate thru the zillion screens to redundantly input the same info over and over again..
I literally worked there for 8 days..and was expected to know, what other staff members had 3mths of training to learn-
the final straw for me was, when the Dr asked me to pull up some clinic documents on a patient in the chair,
& then move the screen to the TV monitor so the patient could see it , I quietly asked if he could guide me ,as I didn't know how to do that ..He Actually looked at me and said. "Geez" You be been here over a week and you don't know how to do that ?.
I HAVE NEVER BEEN MADE TO FEEL SO STUPID in all my career !..
The fact that he said that to me infront of the patient was horrifying!
after that Patient was dismissed The Dr had the nerve to pull me in his office , Belittle me again for Not knowing how to do something I was never shown-..
At that point I told him I was DONE .cleaned up my Op, bagged my kits..grabbed my stuff . Tried to tAlk to the POM..but she was to busy Giggling with Dr in his office
about me, to care-

Worst expirence EVER !.
Horrible Managment
MN (Former Employee) –  MNFebruary 9, 2019
Worked for this office for 9 months, since the beginning had poor management. You're walking into drama, conflict, and much worse. This office has all these policy in their handbook but the management picks and chooses what works best for them. If you like titles, then this place is for you. If you are not a provider your voice won't be heard. The doctors are not the doctors you would like to work for. They talk about growth, but if you don't kiss then you won't grow. Everything gets put on to you in this position (Business Assistant) and will be a blame position. Good luck though. No money is worth going home crying everyday.
Pros
Cons
Management, Drama, Slow pace
Collaborative and Open to New Ideas
Marketing Strategist (Current Employee) –  Effingham, ILFebruary 2, 2019
Heartland Dental has been a refreshing change of pace from my last position. If I needed a day off at my last job, the bottom dropped out. (It was not work that I could do from home.) Now, if I need a day, I can work from home and change my day around as needed to make it work. The flexibility and positivity as well as overall support is what will keep me here. “If you’re not nice, you can’t work here.”
Pros
Flexibility, positive environment, collaborative.
Cons
None that I’ve found.
Great trajning
Lead Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILJanuary 30, 2019
Great experience and amazing oppprtunities when training was offered. It all depended on who your manager was as to how training you got. As time went on felt like no matter how hard I worked it was never enough
Cedar creek Dental is a great office to work for!!!
Dental asst. (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKJanuary 29, 2019
I have been with Cedar Creek Dental for 6 1/2 years. I truly feel I have great team members that actually care about one another and the Dr.s and manager are always helping us strive to better ourselves and willing to go above and beyond to help us advance. Our office likes to have fun together on our off time by going to dinners or an Escape room adventure. I recommend Cedar Creek Dental as a great opportunity!!! I love my Cedar Creek Team!!
Pros
The Dr.s truly care about the patients and team members!!
Cons
I honestly do not have a con
Similar to a Private Practice with Support and Travel
Dentist (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKJanuary 28, 2019
I have been with Heartland Dental as a dentist for 2.5 years. Each office tends to be its own practice and follows general guidelines set out by Heartland. Offices that are more successful tend to have more freedom to deviate, but they usually are successful because they follow those guidelines. Heartland will usually only step in when an office is struggling or failing, which does happen. The office is only as strong as its leader.

My experience in our office has been great. We put our patients first, and are encouraged to do so. I am never told how or what to treatment plan, and I do charity work as I please.

I feel like Heartland does value its employees and invests in growing them more than other dental support organization I know of. I have gotten about 150-200 CE hours per year paid for, and plan to continue growing at that pace to get my FAGD.

I would say that if you were looking for a job, then treat applying to Heartland dental like applying to a network of offices. Read reviews for the individual offices you're applying for to find out where you will be the best fit. There is a wide spectrum of different office types within Heartland, so you have to pick the one that is right for you.
Pros
Patient focused, Benefits, Free continuing education, Mentorship
Cons
Few offices on the west coast
I loved this office and company!
Registered Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJanuary 26, 2019
I loved working here. I worked there for almost 6 years, until we got short handed with assistants and the schedule got double packed. I was having to come in on my off days to do the clinical supply orders. I got worn out from the stress and long days, I ended up leaving the company.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Short staffed
Corporate office support
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILJanuary 24, 2019
I had issues with trying to get additional training on how to support our offices better, I’m the type of person that I ask questions to ensure that I was doing it right. Anytime I asked for guidance I was told “ don’t worry we will go over it later” so now when yr asked how to help them you sound dumb because your manager/supervisor didnt care to show you. Heaven forbid you ever ask for help, fake it till you make it can only go so far. After years of loyalty and always could be count on to show up to work they push you out and make you feel like you aren’t worth helping/training. Some in management positions don’t have those quality/good leader skills. After awhile I decided that this stress wasn’t worth it and to get out and look for something else. So glad I did as I knew they’d find a reason for not getting a raise or possibly demoted. So much for being part of a team that is there to support you,
Benefits
Cons
No raises, lack of any help, making you feel like they don’t care
I love my job!
RDH (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 23, 2019
I swore that I would never work in corporate but here I am. I love my job, my doctor, and all the employees (most days) the PMO is an RDH and I think that makes a huge difference. I feel supported and valued overall and I’ve never felt that I’ve been expected to do something that was unethical. They provide you with so much training and resources. I completed almost all of my CEs for license renewal within 5 months of starting with the company. I’m paid $4 more than what 6 other offices offered me in the area.

By all means DO NOT let people’s reviews and experiences deter you from the company or corporate. Everyone will have different experiences and it has almost everything to do with your doctor and office manager!
Pros
Support, training, benefits, 401k, paid time off
Cons
Production
Stressful & Family/Work Life Balance does not exist
Business Assistant (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 14, 2019
Days and hours change all the time. Whenever doctors call in, or change their work week, you are expected to adapt to their schedule or leave. Could mean starting at 7 am or working until 7 or 8 at night if they decide to stay and add treatment after hours. Not all employees in the same role are held to the same standards. Corporate is very out of tune when it comes to the local offices, and how local and regional management are handling their employees and company. I loved the doctor that I worked for, but he eventually understood why I made my decision to leave the company. He has had to fight for all of his bonuses, and payment structures because they were not as how they were described in his contract either. When multiple employees realize that they are being harassed in a similar manner, they are forbidden to discuss it and threatened with their job. Even though, I loved accounts receivables, treatment planning, and financing solutions for patients, they eventually made it so miserable it wasn't worth the pay or drive after 5 years.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Stressful, Expectations are not the same for all employees in the same role
Great training
BA (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJanuary 13, 2019
Management has favorites and they don't pay very well even if you have years of experience. They don't provide you with 40hrs because their not willing to pay overtime.
Pros
1 hr lunch
Cons
everything
Good pay and benefits, but unprofessional management
Business Assistant/Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 11, 2019
The pay and benefits do not make up for the hostile work environment management creates. The harassment from management makes for a very tense and stressing work atmosphere. The best part of the job is the patients.
Pros
Benefits, patient interaction
Cons
hostile work environment created from management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heartland Dental, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight