Heartland Express Employee Reviews

do not like this compaany
Supervisor - Paul (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85043July 6, 2018
the company would be alright for a single person that does not have a family life and no bills. They don't give you enough work to keep a family household running.
Your number not person
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville orJune 24, 2018
Your a number not a person if your a local driver you will never get a raise heartland is not a fan of local drivers and will constantly try to find ways to cut your pay. No Holliday pay no overtime changing vacation and sick leave to pto time to get out of paying it in a day when most company’s are rewarding drivers heartland is doing the opposite. Though I’m making same hourly rate as I did with gti before buy out I’m making close to $10k less because loss of freight. As a mileage driver on west coast you will get stuck on short hauls and won’t get a lot of miles.
Pros
Newer stripped down trucks
Cons
Low pay, bad treatment, bad management.
job
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJune 4, 2018
they get you away from home terminal and you stay away for weeks and weeks, you can spend up to six to eight weeks away before you get home time. not worth it. you have to ask for fuel also.
I liked working for them
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  N IowaMay 26, 2018
I did a deadicated run started in NC deliver it to md then cut across to pa pu then deliver it to nc then I went home for the night and started the same run again
Pros
Home during the week and weekend
Cons
Some days were slow
Good work enviorment
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAMay 15, 2018
Fun place to work, management was awesome and helpful the equipment was nice and somewhat newer ,the coworkers were pleasant overall it was an enjoyable place for employees
Very stressful, too many hours worked for what they pay you. Loss of family time.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 12, 2018
It is very stressful because you have to qualify for your pay and they expect too many hours of work out of you for what they pay, which causes loss of family time. They offer no paid time off and only offer Christmas holiday off with maybes on the others like Thanksgiving, Fourth of July, New Years, Memorial Day, Labor Day.
Pros
Steady paycheck if you qualify for it
Cons
too may hours worked for the pay which results in loss of family time, No paid time off and you get maybe one holiday off
Used to be a great company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Western regionMay 8, 2018
Many years ago this was a great companyto work for, but it's gone down hill alot in the past few years. Now its well on its way to being another quanity over quality carrier. There is no common culture or way to do things. The company runs three different ways, due to lack of management not meshing the purchased companies into the orginal culture that heartland was founded on. All the terminals operate differently based off of what company they were from previously. When I started there I thought I had found a place I would retire from. But after years of hoping things will improve, I've seen it just deteriorate even more. And now the penny pinching has begun, and I'm sure will continue to get worse. And of course the employees will be the ones who are hurt by that in the end.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Long hours, poor compensation, average to poor management, lots of empty words and promises
Just alright to work for.
Breakdown Manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 5, 2018
Heartland bought the company that I worked for. Since then it has not been very enjoyable. It's an ok company but I feel like I have gone backwards in my carrier.
Pros
Big company.
Cons
Seem to be stuck in the past.
it is what you make of it
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAApril 28, 2018
it was good working there sometimes was a little rough but what job isn't at times, communication with your dispatcher is crucial do your best be positive and you will run if you are the complaining type then your going to find fault with any job you have
Pros
great benefits friendly management kept me running
Cons
night time dispatch had some issues with communicating with daytime dispatch and vice versa
It was a good region local driving job in Atlanta GA
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30331April 5, 2018
I let my spouse talk me into leaving for another company. I would of stayed other wise. It was pushy some and had to deal with scheduled changes without time to adust. But being salary it was worth the pay and they take care of there trucks.
Pros
Home ever weekend
Cons
Pushy quick pace job
Not match advertised home time and waist driver time in truck inspection.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  N Liberty, IaApril 1, 2018
Worked for Heartland Express for 9 years, 8 dispatchers. Never meet the owner once.
Don’t kid yourself, from orientation to the day you quit they profile you. This is the only way they can act like they know you because they have 5000 drivers. No matter how good of job a driver does, Heartland Express will cheat you out of time off, that they advertise 10 – 14 days. Heartland Express rather have a driver quit than have quality time off with his or hers family. The only time the driver will consistently get home like they advertise is the first 90 days they will do it like clockwork. After 90 day, Heartland Express will make you stay out another week after your due home date, they tell you that we don’t have the freight (this means they don’t want to and we don’t care). Heartland Express treat you no better than their worst driver that has repeated service failures.

Giving Heartland Express drivers cell phone is not company policy if it were, they would have to reimburse you so that’s why it’s not. Heartland Express act as if they’re entitled to it and they’re not. They try to tell you that it means more miles but it doesn’t what it equals is grief. Heartland Express call you while you are driving or on your 10 hour break. The People Net, on board computer, works off the same cell towers as cell phones. If heartland express needs a better communication system then they will have to supply it. It simply doesn’t mean more miles. Heartland express made 2 billion dollars a year and they brag about being debt free and they need to use my cellphone? Allowing them to use the cell
  more... phone is not a job requirement. They share your number with venders and other drivers without your permission as if it’s theirs .Heartland Express uses bullying tactics to try to get your cell number. They will ask your why isn’t your number in here like you’re in trouble or something and the correct answer is, “it’s my personal property, it’s not company policy and you’re not entitled to it don’t ask me again”.
Every time you go to a Heartland Express terminal you are expected to go through an inspection bay. Each truck takes 30 minutes, for example if you’re the 4th truck in line outside the garage doors it would be 2 hours and 30 minutes wait until you get to the other side. And if your truck is due for service, you’re not done you have to go and drop the trailer and check in with tractor supply and your truck is due for oil change or grease then you have another 2 hour wait in the driver room no curtesy cars. It’s that way at every terminal. You go through the inspection bay when you enter the gates of any terminal without exception. All at your loss of time for free.

Heartland Express work off the lie that there’s a driver shortage. There’s no drivers shortage. There’s a shortage of people who want to be at work 97% of the time without an opportunity to decompress with proper time off. In other words you don’t have a life. I understand that there’s 400 carriers that they have to compete against who do the same thing.
Every department is not for the driver. Human Resources, Safety, Fleet Manger, etc... , are there to protect the Entity Heartland Express from you the driver.
Fleet Manger Will set you up failure on trips. The driver must determine whether he or she have the hours, 10 breaks, 30 minute breaks, etc.… to complete trip legally. Never assume your Fleet Manger has the drivers back and he or she has done the planning for the driver. The driver is the one that will answer to why the load had a service failure not your Fleet Manger.
In the 9 year I work for Heartland Express , I was never had a service failure and always did an above average job.
Pros
Well maintained trucks and trailers
Cons
Cheat driver out of time off with family .
Not much to say....
Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 21, 2018
Job was ok until we got to so far in. Basically the same account (one owns the other), but the sudden change in routine is what ruined it. Things like this need to be explained during the hiring process so an employee knows what is going on.....!
Pros
Decent pay / weekly hometime.
Cons
Management communication on what is happening next...
Lacks Direction & Planning
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Washington StateMarch 18, 2018
Poor Communication combined with unskilled management often lead to workers having to repeat tasks over and over with no thought to insuring resources were available. Most leaders appeared on different pages when it came to special projects and most managers appeared to lack basic management skills to correct or foreseen complications of errors before they occurred.
Pros
The Shift Will End Eventually.
Cons
No Direction, No Communication, Poor Attitudes, No Resources
Typical day is driving
Dedicated Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  North Liberty, IowaMarch 10, 2018
Driver managers have changes 6 times since I been working there and that is not good. Current manager states she has been there for over 30 years but when asked a question, she always have to get back to you or ask someone else.
The Hardest Part of the Job
Truck Driver & Tractor Trailer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85043February 27, 2018
For the last 30 years of my life, I've been a truck driver. I know the business inside and out. I'm also a very safe and efficient worker, however, I'm at a point in my life where OTR trucking is not suited for my life style. Lots of trials come with this kind of work- I'm missing out on experiencing my growing family and I'm not always there when my wife needs me. Working for Heartland Express has been a pleasure however, it time for me to find a local job where I can be more accessible to my family on a nightly basis.
Pros
Great work environment; friendly co-workers & management, great pay & benefits
Cons
being away from family
full of retards
Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 24, 2018
not a pleasurable place to work under paid over worked managment was full of rejects. job was highly stressfull. very cut throat and the equipment was very poorly taken care of
I was with i.d.c. and we were bought out. Didnt know what to exspect. Heartlands equipment much better.
Over the Road Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 22, 2018
Better new trucks, better equipment. More miles. Ive been on the road for 28 years and the basic concept is dont set your expectations to high. They have lots of rules but if you pickup and del. On time they leave you alone as long as you gollow the basics. They do have runs in my area that go overnight i just say no for safty reasons and its accepted. Also no chaim policy a big plus. Theres a macro 15 which is your arrive and available hours very important to keep them up to date so they can preplan you. Theres serveral running areas. I live out west and so i chose to run wwst of the Mississippi. Meaning mostly west coast.
Pros
New equipment. Miles. Pay.
Cons
Insurance, time off without loosing your truck. Night runs
A lot of stressfull driving.
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 19, 2018
It was a really good company to work for overall. But a person needs to be repaired for long hours of driving and a lot of time away from home. Being a OTR driver isn't for everybody.
Pros
I got to see all 48 states. And how beautiful they are.
Cons
Not enough home time.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAFebruary 10, 2018
Working at Heart Land was a great experience. On a typical work day I would get my load assignment then follow the instructions. Management was ok. I all ways enjoy meeting new people.
good equiptment
Professional Cross Country Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 3, 2018
in last two years company has increased benefits to drivers, they have added new trucks and trailers, compensate for down time. they have added terminals to service trucks and customers
Pros
good equipment, management
Cons
away from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heartland Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight