HEB Employee Reviews

Featured review
HEB selected this as a representative review
Excellent place to work
Senior C#/Sharepoint Developer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 5, 2017
A typical day for me at HEB spans many different systems and even groups.
I was hired as a Sharepoint Developer, but have since branched out to helping with Tibco, PeopleSoft, SalesForce and even into helping business users understand how technology can help them
Pros
good culture, great people
Cons
extremely busy
Overall
Customer Service Representative/Bagger (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 19, 2018
Great company, loved the job, people, atmosphere, and discounts. Everything was very free flow as long as you were following procedures. They are very good about breaks and lunches. Always friendly, never afraid to answer any questions and they always had whatever was needed. Loved it. Only disappointment that I faced was having to leave because they were not willing to work around my other job schedule.
Loved every second of it
Central Checkout specialist (Current Employee) –  Burleson, TXJuly 18, 2018
H-E-B is a great place to work. I enjoyed every moment of it. The people are very nice and welcoming. It really feels like home every time you are there.
Overall Great Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78240July 18, 2018
You will see thousands of customers a day. The day will continue to feel like its moving quickly because you will be busy and working constantly. as said extremely fast passed.
OK place to work
Checker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 18, 2018
A typical day at work is extremely busy, and of course you're not allowed to sit down. Even after my surgery when I was anemic, I was not allowed to sit down. Customers are extremely rude and it ruins your whole day. I may just be a sensitive person but things customers said to me made me very upset for the whole day. Yelling at me for things that are not my fault or that they do not understand about the job.
The management treats you okay, but they most definitely pick favorites. Whoever they liked most would be the ones to do more fun tasks and whoever they didn't like would work register all day, and never be rewarded for going above and beyond the position. One of my managers made me walk a blind woman around the store for hours and help her get her groceries, which I was happy to do. But after which it was never spoken of again. While a (new) coworker of mine got a $5 gift card for simply taking care of a large order not even 2 weeks later. The management is very well-structured though.
The hardest part of the job is the customers, and putting on that happy face every day. Even if you're sick or you got in a fight with your s/o, you're expected to smile and be friendly and kind to every customer that walks through the door. No questions asked. If a customer complains that you weren't friendly/hospitable, even when the customer was rude to you, you risk losing your job.
I had a customer yell at me to double-bag everything, point her finger in my face and tell me what to put in each bag, then laugh when I got it wrong. I said nothing to this customer, because I was taught
  more... if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. I smiled, I handed her her receipt, and I let her be on her way. I later found out she had complained about me to my manager. I was a week away from leaving resignation at this time so they were especially hard on me.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the fellow partners. Many of them are still my friends, I built a bond with every one of them and they were all positive. I loved my coworkers and they made the difficult job a lot better for the eight months I was there. The pay for the job is also very good, I was very happy with it. And I did have regular customers who meant a great deal to me, and interactions I definitely will never forget.
All in all, it was a job. It wasn't great, but it had it's moments.
Pros
break every 2 hours, good pay, nice coworkers, ok management
Cons
terrible customers, ok management
Very Good
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Angleton, TXJuly 18, 2018
Great place to work, easy first job. They work really well with your schedule and it is easy to pick up and give away shifts. I completely recommend it.
Good place to work at
Gas station Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2018
It is a good company to work for if you are a student. They work with your schedule. It is very easy to get your 40 hours even if you are part time position.
Ok job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 18, 2018
It depends at which location you are assigned. Some of the managers were very supportive. However, some of the customers at this location were very rude and made it difficult to continue working.
Pros
It was fun at first
good comapny
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elgin, TXJuly 17, 2018
good company to work for. i would recommend working for a bigger store if you can. i was part time so i dont know anything about benefits but i hear they were good.
Good job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 17, 2018
It’s a good place to work if you’re a student or don’t have to work much hours. I liked it a lot and it pays good and is easy. Friendly people and lots of interacting with customers and co workers.
Pros
Breaks every 2 hours, weekly pay.
Cons
30 min lunch, low hours, difficult to get full time position unless you work there 10+ years.
Great company
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 17, 2018
They work with their employees. They strive for great customer service. I haven’t had any complaints while working there. The management is great as well.
Fun and Friendly
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 16, 2018
Being it was my first job out of high school I was eager and excited about working.
The first 6 months were fun given that heb is really caring about not only the customers but their employees.
We had in store events, holiday parties/luncheons at work even in store competitions.
My only complaint was that management at the time was more prone to promoting female new hires after a few weeks rather than employees asking for the opportunity to be promoted after months with being with the company.
Pros
flexible hours, friendly envoirment
Cons
career building
It was decent for a highschool job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bastrop, TXJuly 16, 2018
It's enough for a highschool or college salary but not livings to come by yourself.I wouldn't recommend it if your looking to live by yourself because you will Bearly make it.
This was the best place I ever worked.
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Copperas Cove, TXJuly 16, 2018
Lots of fun good managers good customers and good atmosphere and I will miss it. Great job for teenagers that want to take a career in HEB and stay with the company for many years to come.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Shorts breaks
Working for a large company
Advanced Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 16, 2018
Management isn't bad, however with it being a large company it makes it harder to focus on everyone. The company is good to work for but it just has its challenges for sure.
HEB Partne
Meat Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 15, 2018
I love working for HEB and plan to retire from HEB as well.When i come to work every morning, I make sure i greet my team and most mornings I enjoy making breakfast to show my appreciation to the team and to help boost moral, HEB has encured me they appreciate the business i bring to the company and the strive i have to make the department motivated to give it their all as well.
Not enough work hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mission, TXJuly 15, 2018
Great hourly pay but not enough hours. Never reached 25 hours a week. I loved the environment and the fast paced. Great discounts and the job was simple on the front end.
Fast paced quiet environment. I work by myself.
Over night baker/fryer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 15, 2018
I come in at midnight and work until 8:30 am. I have to fry donuts and then make all types of donuts. In Addition, i would fry all bread and Mexican pasteyies
Pros
Get off early, and can spend time woth family during day.
Cons
Im not home at night with family. Should any thing happen iam not there to protect my family.
Difficult schedule
Production Partner I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2018
The HEB warehouse has rotating schedules. The HEB store has limited hours, no overtime. It's not a win-win situation. Supervisors can be cold, unapproachable. I would only recommend the warehouse for single, no kids having individuals.
Pros
Occasional bonuses and appreciation lunches
Cons
Cold hearted supervisors
fun up pace working environment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2018
Cool environment to work at very up pace always doing something taking care of customers co workers that surrounded you will help you become a better person in learn new things
Fun and easy place to work. Flexible scheduling as well.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2018
Love working at H-E-B. The environment is positive and fun. Building great relationship with your co workers is easy and can result in some of the best friends. Job is stressful and customers service is very easy to accomplish here as working with customers is what occurs 24/7 here.
Pros
Breaks every 2 hours. Partner perks once working for 6 months.
Cons
Stagnant after awhile.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HEB. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3
52.6K
41.5K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight