HEI Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

High turnover of managers results in chaos
They know who I am, believe me (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 19, 2018
When HEI first took over Hotel Crescent Court in Dallas the 1st thing they did: fire too many ppl. Result: remaining ppl quit. Further result: super skeletal crew. In my dept there was such a high turnover of management it became ridiculous. My job description and expectations went from clear to non existent. They lost an excellent employee when I jumped that ship, and their attitude was like they fired me. True idiots.
Pros
Lunches, big deal
Cons
Management Fail
Great Opportunity for Advancement
Front Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 21, 2018
I have experience working for both Hilton and HEI and the advancement opportunity greatly improved with HEI. Hilton paid more attention to number of years of experience to determine advancement, rather than one's skill level. If you are a hard worker and want to succeed, you will move up a lot faster with this company.
Pros
HEI likes to promote from within
Cons
If you aren't a good, hard worker, you are less likely to move up
It's Alright
Human Resources Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 18, 2018
With HEI Hotels & Resorts, I could be a great place to work. Most of the money goes into the salaried positions and the hourly associates do not get as much. Benefits provided by the company are great.
Seattle Marriott Bellevue_- Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 11, 2018
Great Leadership team
Great benefits
Great work/life balance
they like to invest in their Services and products
enjoyed working with the people on property in each department
Worked well as a team
Excellent place to work
Night Audit (Current Employee) –  Manchester, VTApril 10, 2018
Currently employed here. After 35 years in the work force in various positions I wound up here. The property is amazing, the people are amazing and I would not want to work anywhere else. If the weather is bad they encourage staff to stay over. How many companies in today's world care that much?
Pros
People, food, atmosphere, benefits, travel discounts
Fast Paced & Productive Workplace
Investment Analyst, Acquisitions & Development (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTApril 6, 2018
Very intense, great learning experience. 60+ hour work weeks, very detail-oriented. Exciting deals, investing in hotels. Fun, down-to-earth, and rewarding experience.
How you are treated during the hiring process is a major indicator of how you would be treated as an employee. After you’ve started a discussion with
Server (Former Employee) –  Duck Key, FLMarch 10, 2018
Yes, the interview went well. Yes, the person conducting it seemed sane and rational. But now that you’ve dropped anchor, you can get acquainted with the initially well-concealed but ultimately painful reality that you’re working for a bad employer.

A high turnover rate, a staff that complains nonstop, and bouncing paychecks are all signs that even the novice will spot. But what are some of the more obscure ones?

Horrible management, interns from foreign countries, co-workers bussed in from Homestead whose importance is "Can I get to the bus on time?"
Cons
Salary, co workers, management
Worst employee benefit
Front Desk (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 7, 2018
Very poor benefits for new employee. I received no PTO at the first year.
They do not provide enough trainings to the new staff. Lack of supports from management teams.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Better insurance plan in 2018
Cutthroat - Bottom line is their focus
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 4, 2018
Real estate company trying to display themselves to the public as a hospitality company.

The transition when they took over the hotel I was at was terrible and then began the cutbacks in every department. Employees that were phenomenal and had been there for 20+ years were let go with about a few days notice with no severance package.

As stated before, if you're not submissive, prepare for the worst experience of your life. They will do their best to get you to quit so they don't have to pay unemployment.

Very lean staffing, so much so that you're dealing with very angry guests because of your long lines to check in and long wait times for rooms to be ready.

The benefits are also rather pathetic for a company of this size. Healthcare was a joke, high deductibles, high co-pays, didn't cover much of anything. Other benefits were mediocre as well.

Don't bother with this company.
Not good communication, benefits, pay, environment
Office (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMarch 3, 2018
Not a good environment, dirty and run down officea and bathrooms for staff. Lack of staff and overwork and no communication or any IT help on site for anything. Get receiving staff and not expect office staff to do it when they are slammed in work doing their own jobs.
Pros
Free daily lunches if they are decent but only get half hour to break from computer
Cons
Run down offices, lack of staff and overworked for very low pay
This company is terrible
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2018
They don't have the employees back at all. They don't want to pay out vacation time. they schedule meetings with staff and don't show up, They are only about scores they don't have the employees best interest at heart. HR department is very unorganized and rude.
Don’t work there
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAFebruary 25, 2018
There so bad to employees it’s just unbelievable they don’t care make that money.I don’t understand how Hilton hotel let them manage there property’s they must know there are a very low cost operator .when they take over a property they cut staff to look good to investors but customer service really suffers.they have done this over and over .do not work for them.there medical insurance is a joke
Pros
Na
Cons
Terrible company
Manager (Former Employee)
Manager of Operations Department (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 19, 2018
So If you like to work long hours, manage on your feet and work part of your day doing an hourly job, average pay, benefits are not bad, insurance cost high, no bonus's for all the hard work you do, EC committee get's one for you, then this is the company for you.

So the comments you read in other reviews about the CEO viewing a hotel as a piece of real estate is accurate. Listened to his open forum speeches to the hotel staff.
HEI is a company that focuses on the bottom line for the ownership.

With the Marriott purchase of Starwood the culture has shifted to a bottom line company that now has to meet brand service scores.

So the volatile combination of working as a manager of a hotel that runs a lean staff and trying to keep up service scores becomes a very tough work world. Good condition hotels manage much better than hotels that need to be updated, or showing their age!

LLG is the labor productivity report that manages your world. Don't expect a lot of staff - transitions will have eliminated at least 1 management position in every department, along with restructuring hourly positions to fit the productivity hours for that department.
When occupancy is low you have very little hours to work with so you will be filling in some of your hourly positions to make your productivity. Fun part is when they open up the low rates in the 3rd party systems "expedia, priceline, booking.com" and you go home with 150 rooms to sell and come back in the morning sold out! So you are scrambling to cover the business that you did not schedule for that is tearing up your
  more... hotel and ruining your service scores. That's a daily thing in HEI's culture. Remember they do surveys too.

Don't count on training as a department head. Its expected that you will know how to facilitate the job when you walk in the door. They will do orientation and show you around the hotel. I have learned to be a stronger manager by dealing with this for a long time!

Culture on the property depends on your General Manager. Good GM good culture.

Administratively - will need to manage around your daily business demands. Reports and financials will need to be on time since month end and closure has to be done by the 2 or 3rd of month since they are a publicly traded company. Sometimes difficult to do when short staffed and busy.

If I were to consider working at an HEI hotel again, I would look at the hotels reviews through the brand and trip advisor to see what the customers are saying before I accepted a job from them. You will never meet your goals for service otherwise. But honestly, would never go their again! lesson learned....
Pros
Free lunch for staff, Free Parking, benefits package not bad
Cons
long hours, low staffing levels, high insurance costs, no performance bonus
Depends on who is in charge
Outlet Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 14, 2018
Had a great experience working for a wonderful GM. Then GM left and what followed was a mass exodus of Good Management. The hotel was down in morale and no one seemed to care.
Poor
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2018
Very bad company to work for please don't waste your time. This company only cares about there bottom line and there employee they put a fake smile and laugh with you. They interview people and sell them a dream which is nothing but lies.
Horrible- food & bev Mgr is a racist & not nice to employees
Bartender/ Server (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJanuary 27, 2018
Job serving drinks st Comp Bar is awful & should be illegal// unappreciated position & NO PNE STAYS LONG! Should be illegal doing UNLIMITED FAST FOOD ATMOSPHERE DRINKS- awful
Employees are wonderful people. Environment is and fun
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 26, 2018
Food and staff ante wonderful. With the new company it's been a little bit of a challenge but we are learning and growing how we need to. We have a great flow of regulars that com in weekly and some daily. Our food and staff are well love in the community.
Pros
Kids eat free with an adult entree, staff benefits, great food
Cons
Hours of work are a little much at times
Good experience
Food and Beverage Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2018
I would like to move on because the staff members are diffcult and ungrateful. I work 50 plus hours a week and normally 6 days. Also my manager does not support me he allows them to treat me badly.
Soul-less Company
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2018
HEI may not be the best representation of a bonafide hospitality company as their motives are more so focused on profit than people. I worked at a hotel they acquired and the transition was ruthless. Hourly associates are at the bottom of the food chain and are hit the hardest with LLG. If you aren't easily submissive, this company will weed you out. I am utterly shocked at how they treat employees. You got to watch your back. There are far more much better and respectable options for employment within the hospitality industry than this company.
Not a good place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Too much pressure on Managers to cut hours.
Poor Management structure, No culture
Only cares about $$
No work life balance - expectation is to Managers to work 12 plus hours daily...
Pros
Cons
No Culture, No work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HEI Hotels & Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

2.1Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight