HELPLINE YOUTH COUNSELING Employee Reviews

Waste of time!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 7, 2019
There are always openings but they will move up who they want. They will coax you with "negative feedback" out of nowhere, to not apply for positions. Company policy is to post in house positions to employess & they have to interview everyone. 2x I know of jobs being promissed before interviews & 1 of those they tried not to post it at all.
Pros
Sick Pay, Paid Vacation, Holiday Pay
Cons
Management is unprofessional, micro management, constantly short staffed, expected to pick up the slack for incompetent staff they higher, schedule always fluctuates, schedule times.
Productive with a touch of Painful Stress
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAAugust 17, 2019
Let me start with me mentioning how busy my morning always was. Not having coverage was always stressful and asking staff if they can cover my bathroom or lunch breaks because we were always short with admin. The workload was too much especially when you have to constantly cover the front desk to greet clients or answer calls. Management was terrible and was never at the site office. You were required to work Saturdays (mandatory) which I saw as a waste of time when the phone would not ring and no clients would show up. To me this company does not show appreciation towards employees that pull long hours of work (overtime)a lot of favoritism going on. The Admin Director relies on temp staff (Staffing agency) to work crazy hours which no temp admin would last because of the hours and days they were required to work. I’m not sorry to say that this company is not worth it. I’ve seen so many former employees leave because of the lack of support and the stress of work and a especially when you have to face a lot of criticism and two faced employees ...it’s like you were in high school all over again.
Pros
Paid Holidays
Cons
Short breaks, no coverage, terrible hours, short staff
Divertido
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  NORWALKAugust 7, 2019
Buen lugar para trabajar con mucho que aprender
Muy tranquilo
A typical day at work.
Admin assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2019
I love HYC East LA office , my admin lead is such and amazing trainer! she has taught me so many new skills that I never new before. I really enjoy this office!
Fun and flexible
In-Home Outreach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAFebruary 11, 2019
The hours are flexible, case load is not terrible, and management is very supportive and available. They offer tons of training opportunities and have tons of programs and allow you to move between them to gain the needed experience and/or opportunities for growth.
Terrible Management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAMay 22, 2018
The workload was sufficient to keep me busy throughout the day. Management played favoritism to certain employees. The most enjoyable part of my day was having little to zero interaction with my direct superior.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
No paid holidays
Please Avoid especially if you are learning
Wraparound Clinician (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAFebruary 23, 2018
What can I say about HYC let’s start from strengths then move on to my concerns:

Strengths:
They offer a significant amount of vacation time which is beneficial. The lower level staff are kind and approachable. As a salaried employee you have the freedom of making your own schedule. I believe it ends there honestly. I tried to find something else positive to say about HYC but from the beginning the red flags were apparent. I will only speak from my experience although I’ve heard stories from others and maybe others will post their perspective.

Concerns:
I was offered the job (yay) but never received an offer letter but was given items to complete and a start date. I had to hunt down my offer letter to ensure what was discussed and verbally agreed were in writing. I was also written up for “being resistant” to given directives, basically I gathered don’t ask to many questions or challenge your supervisor or else. I only say gathered because typically in a write up the corrective actions explain the why but my corrective action was more training in reporting which did not match. When trying to speak to management they either completely ignore you or they are really short with you. I never felt supported and the blame is always on the line staff never on management. Finally when I left I was not given my final mileage check. I had to call them a month later still no check. This place is a “small” agency and they operate as such. There is no growth. They lure you in with a potential for a raise based on productivity ask around that never comes. If you are looking to learn
  more... and grow I’m not sure this is the place. The clinicians live consistently so that also makes the job harder. Just avoid this place altogether or have truly low expectations.  less
Pros
Lots of holiday breaks & inexpensive benefits
Cons
Poor management, lack of growth, incompetent payroll
Upper Management was not a good fit.
Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAMarch 3, 2017
I did not work for this company very long although it too is a great company to work for if you love serving people. I became really involved with and in the community.
Community based agency
MSW intern (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAFebruary 6, 2017
The agency offers many services to the community that really highlights the true need of the people who received them. They work with individuals and with families, collberating with local agencies to get the clients the resources they need.
Pros
facility is really modern
Cons
parking during events challenging
Poor,
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAApril 13, 2016
A typical day working for HYC involved getting paid too little, punching in and out for lunch time, time arrived and time left work, old computers only 3 computer stations to do documentation, shortage of tx rooms, no onsite psychiatrist, no funding for training, paperwork constantly being returned even to employees who have been with the company for over 2 years, poor management of services, lack of transparency.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Poor pay, lack of transparency, nowhere to work in the office old computers breaking down.
Helping teens stay in school
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CANovember 30, 2015
Helping teens do their work and taking test making sure if they don't miss school just being positive for them with all negativity that they have in their life.
A nonprofit that focuses on teaching new counselors
Counseling Intern (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CAMarch 12, 2015
A typical workday at Helpline Youth Counseling is meeting with client's to provide individual and family counseling to children, adolescents, and adults. We provide services in office and in client homes. We administer initial intakes, mental health assessments, and provide appropriate diagnosis based on the standards upheld by the Department of Mental Health. Once a diagnosis has been made, we assist clients in developing individualized treatment plans to meet their needs and evaluate progress on treatment goals.
We provide linkage and referrals to community resources. Also, we Conduct Up Front Assessment with DCFS families to evaluate for an individuals parental capacity.
good
Transport (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAOctober 13, 2014
love everything about the job people was nice the hardest part was not making more money
Driving a van picking up students
School Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAOctober 1, 2013
pick up students take them to school and in the pm route go to school ttransport the students to theier house.and take the van back to the storage.end of the day.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Terrific opportunity to work with a diverse clientele and community resources in support with "At-promise youth and families.
Family Resource Counselor (Former Employee) –  Various school sites and family resource centersJune 25, 2013
I learned that there are various community support agencies and services available for youth and families locally and in the general service area. Management and co-workers are quite knowledgeable and innovative about doing and getting work done. The most enjoyable aspects of the job were working in collaboration with families, the means to provide meaningful opportunities for learning and experiencing positive challenges.
Pros
Friendly family work environment
Cons
at times...time and distance from one work site to another.
Typical Day
Director of Family Support (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAJanuary 31, 2013
Oversee the daily operations of a non-profit program providing services to east Los Angeles County distributing computer services to other social service agencies.
Pros
family oriented work environment
Cons
changes to management and style
Positive services for the community
Prevention Substance Abuse Counselor/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CADecember 6, 2012
Fast pace surroundings while conducting client services. Very comfortable place to work with well rounded and educated staff. Continued client referral system through community, courts and probation department.
Pros
very comfortable & casual place to work
Cons
in need of additional counseling and group rooms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HELPLINE YOUTH COUNSELING. Our community is ready to answer.

HELPLINE YOUTH COUNSELING Reviews by Location