Hennepin County Employee Reviews

Great Workplace
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 10, 2018
Love it. The mentorship is amazing. I learned so much within the first two weeks. The force you to grow and dive right into the work and that's the best way to learn in my opinion.
Best Place to work if you only have a high school diploma/GED.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 10, 2018
The majority of workers at Hennepin County are only there for the paycheck. The majority of workers at Hennepin County do not represent their clients or culture. Hennepin County lacks diversity when it comes to hiring people of color. Upper management definitely lacks people od color who are qualified.
Pros
Benefits are great for single people; holidays
Cons
Lacks diversity in upper management
n/a
Senior Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 9, 2018
Great work place/employees. Enjoyed going to work each day versus previous jobs. Everyone works as a team and makes it enjoyable to come to work and get our case loads accomplished in a timely and efficient manner.
If you are complacent this is a great place to be
Human Services Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 23, 2018
If you value being rewarded for the work you put in...keep looking because this is not the company for you. Very stressful environment and the pay and benefits don't make up for it.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful, untrained management
Hennepin County Sherriffs Office does not care about your personal life.
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 14, 2018
It was a good place to work if you want to work overtime constantly and continually be micro managed by supervisors. Once you are off probation (1 year) it is a stable job you'll always feel like a number.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
constant overtime and the scheadule is horrible.
Worst place to work
Human Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2018
Worst place to work to politically and employees ideas don't matter they have all these focus group just to make decision about jobs that they don't do. they allow clients to abuse the system and staff.
No comment
Juvenile Probation Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 18, 2018
The overall view is that there’s always room for improvements and with my volunteer duties I enjoy what I do as long as I can help a young person overcome hisnor her adversities that plaques them with whatever that got going on. I feel with what o do I can change a young person from ruining their lives from desparities in their future endeavors.
Pros
Training
Cons
Communicating
Growing professionally
Senior Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 3, 2018
Hennepin is a good place to learn more about how to balance your professional and home life. All my supervisors have been extremely resourceful and understanding on how important it is to have balance in your everyday life. The positions I’ve help allowed me to work remotely, which, I really liked the flexibility I had. I enjoyed out unit/team meetings. Being able to share stories and consult on cases really help my growth as a professional and as an individual.
great job Minneapolis
Human Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 26, 2018
Wonderful benefits
Great Job transfers option
great co workers
wonderful schedule
Has a great tuition reimbursement
Wonderful location
union
bus pass discount
Demoralizing
Office Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 24, 2018
If everything works out, great! If you have a problem, you may as well find a new job. Maybe it’s an IT issue, like mine, that persists for 2 years. Well, it’s been 2 years, so now it’s your fault for not fixing the thing you can’t fix. For not doing the things you can’t do. Now you’re up for review, people are tired of your excuses. Tired of you blaming IT.

But IT can’t or won’t solve the problem that makes your job nearly impossible. It’s been 2 years, so now it’s your fault.

Does that sound fun? If it were Everybody Loves Raymond it’d be hilarious. But it’s my reality, and it’s not a healthy environment any more.
Pros
Proximity to food trucks
Cons
Basically everything else

Want to know more about Hennepin County?

Ask a question
A good place to work
Information Technology Specialist, Senior (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 19, 2018
Once you get hired on and get into the flow of things there is plenty of work to be done if not more than is asked for sometimes. There is always an opportunity to learn and grow. The culture is quite diverse and the hardest part of the job is keeping up with work load and meetings. The most enjoyable part of the job is there is always something new to learn.
Pros
work/personal life balance is unbeatable
Cons
The amount of approvals it takes to get a plan accomplished can be lengthy
Case Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hennepin County, MNJune 18, 2018
Hennepin County is a great place to work if you would like a work and life balance. Work can be stressful depending on which department you work for. Hennepin County's salary base for jobs is higher than any of the other neighboring counties.
Pros
Some positions can work from home
Cons
Some departments or units have nightmare managers/supervisors.
Hennepin County
Sr. Chemical Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 15, 2018
Working at Hennepin County was a positive experience. I worked on a great team of folks who supported each other. We had a great manager who was available and present for support when needed as well.
Good job but to much stress.
Golf Course Superintendent (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 12, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job has been the customers I have met over the years that I consider as good friends. The hardest part of my job is training new inmates every thirty days because they get out of jail when there time is over. The young part time workers we hire don't want to think outside the box. I have to tell them what to do every minute they are on the clock.
contract work
Rule 25 Assessor (Current Employee) –  independent workMay 15, 2018
All paperwork is done independently and sent to the county. Must be LADC licensed. No pay for the work, but you have to attend training sessions. You may not bill the county for your work.
Pros
work on your own schedule
Cons
non payment for contract work.
Poor management - no commitment to employees
Public Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 9, 2018
Hennepin County is a hellish workplace. The county is characterized by vicious racial and other discrimination, and stunningly poor management. The county provides no support or training to middle management, so they are free to do whatever they want. The pay at Hennepin County is significantly less than both the private sector, and surrounding counties.

Health insurance is good - this is the only plus for this employer.
Wonderful People to Work for
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 7, 2018
They are great servants to the community. I admire how they respect their staff and family members. The are always wiling to teach the staff new this with any stress or pressure.
Good Place to work
Customer Service Rep./Library Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 26, 2018
On a typical day you come in check in book returns, count register and make deposits. You also print guest pass for patron that don't have a library card and just need to use the computer. Throughout the day you switch with co-workers taking turns at the front desk 1 hr at a time unless under staffed that day. Also check in delivery in the back room. Some days can be a little slow but overall a good place to work. You are there to help children and adults. A lot of people get upset because there is no free fax at our library only downside.
good place to work
Criminal Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 24, 2018
The team was intricate and collaborative with several agencies in Hennepin County and many other locations.

There was a changing of supervisors often which some had no or very limited experience at this extremely confidential fact finding job.

However I'm hoping that the most current supervisor to come inot this position will engage and understand the totality of the functions and how important it is to disseminate the needed information ASAP.
\
The Captain that oversaw this division was well liked and was there for the employees when needed and also understood the meaning of NON micro-managing and had faith and trust in the employees. The Captain was a real leader and moral builder.
Pros
provided necessary tools
Cons
the revolving managers
Human Services Representative
Human Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2018
I worked area for eligibility suppport helping conusmers who applied for state programs such us cash, food support and health care benefit. I handled client's applications and processed them throught the state system.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hennepin County. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight