Hennepin County Employee Reviews

Case Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hennepin County, MNJune 18, 2018
Hennepin County is a great place to work if you would like a work and life balance. Work can be stressful depending on which department you work for. Hennepin County's salary base for jobs is higher than any of the other neighboring counties.
Pros
Some positions can work from home
Cons
Some departments or units have nightmare managers/supervisors.
Hennepin County
Sr. Chemical Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 15, 2018
Working at Hennepin County was a positive experience. I worked on a great team of folks who supported each other. We had a great manager who was available and present for support when needed as well.
Good job but to much stress.
Golf Course Superintendent (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 12, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job has been the customers I have met over the years that I consider as good friends. The hardest part of my job is training new inmates every thirty days because they get out of jail when there time is over. The young part time workers we hire don't want to think outside the box. I have to tell them what to do every minute they are on the clock.
contract work
Rule 25 Assessor (Current Employee) –  independent workMay 15, 2018
All paperwork is done independently and sent to the county. Must be LADC licensed. No pay for the work, but you have to attend training sessions. You may not bill the county for your work.
Pros
work on your own schedule
Cons
non payment for contract work.
Poor management - no commitment to employees
Public Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 9, 2018
Hennepin County is a hellish workplace. The county is characterized by vicious racial and other discrimination, and stunningly poor management. The county provides no support or training to middle management, so they are free to do whatever they want. The pay at Hennepin County is significantly less than both the private sector, and surrounding counties.

Health insurance is good - this is the only plus for this employer.
Wonderful People to Work for
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 7, 2018
They are great servants to the community. I admire how they respect their staff and family members. The are always wiling to teach the staff new this with any stress or pressure.
Good Place to work
Customer Service Rep./Library Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 26, 2018
On a typical day you come in check in book returns, count register and make deposits. You also print guest pass for patron that don't have a library card and just need to use the computer. Throughout the day you switch with co-workers taking turns at the front desk 1 hr at a time unless under staffed that day. Also check in delivery in the back room. Some days can be a little slow but overall a good place to work. You are there to help children and adults. A lot of people get upset because there is no free fax at our library only downside.
good place to work
Criminal Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNApril 24, 2018
The team was intricate and collaborative with several agencies in Hennepin County and many other locations.

There was a changing of supervisors often which some had no or very limited experience at this extremely confidential fact finding job.

However I'm hoping that the most current supervisor to come inot this position will engage and understand the totality of the functions and how important it is to disseminate the needed information ASAP.
\
The Captain that oversaw this division was well liked and was there for the employees when needed and also understood the meaning of NON micro-managing and had faith and trust in the employees. The Captain was a real leader and moral builder.
Pros
provided necessary tools
Cons
the revolving managers
Human Services Representative
Human Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2018
I worked area for eligibility suppport helping conusmers who applied for state programs such us cash, food support and health care benefit. I handled client's applications and processed them throught the state system.
good benefits
WIC Public Health Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 15, 2018
benefits were good. Most positions don't require nights or weekends and you get government holidays off. The county itself is great and trying to get employees to stick around and offer great continuing education/training opportunities. However, depending on the unit or department you are in, you may or may not be given as much opportunity to advance or take advantage of all the county has to offer.
Don't Do It!
911 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMarch 25, 2018
I worked for the Sheriff. Training was unorganized and unprofessional. The other dispatchers were rude, catty, negative and most non-productive; which indicates poor management.
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
People, Management
This was a great place to start my legal career.
Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 24, 2018
Hennepin County is a great place to work. The judges deal with heavy caseloads yet treat staff with respect and are great mentors. I learned a lot in my time with them.
Great entry level
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 24, 2018
Was a really great experience working for HCSO. Met a lot of great people. The skills I aquired will really help me with my future endeavors. Thanks for the opportunity.
Rewarding workplace
Project Manager for Bottineau Transitway (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 19, 2018
Good leadership. Work on important projects for the county and the region.

Learned about vendor/consultant procurement, project management, public engagement, collaboration.
Pros
Good work
Cons
slow moving organization
It's just a job.
Office Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 19, 2018
This is just a job.
It is not your whole life.
If you have the resources, you can leave whenever you want.
I'm not going to praise an employer.
The means of production should be turned over to the workers.
worked to death, yet was not allowed to give complete customer service to the clients because no time to do it
Office Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 7, 2018
poor customer service, never allowed to work a case fully. never given a long time to complete a case. 30 mins before or after your shift on the phone or in person with clients is not enough to help them. evidence of this is now coming out in the media...such as elder abuse and them dumping records
benefits
Cons
had to fight for time to help anyone
Hennepin County could be a productive fun place to work.
HSPHD / Senior Psychiatric Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 6, 2018
Since the department is an outreach position, mental health crisis intervention within the community which could sometimes be both stressful and dangerous. Learned a great deal in crisis intervention within the community. Workplace culture sometimes was fun, other times could very intense and stressful. Supervisors sometimes underestimate the risk involved in mental health crisis intervention within the community and also inflexible with regards to decision. I enjoyed working with my co-workers.
Pros
Some celebration of holidays.
Cons
Short breaks or non at all.
A way in
Community Corrections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 6, 2018
Hennepin is a good foot in the door for someone entry level. Depending on the department you are in will determine the day. If you get a good supervisor they will encourage advancement. Get into a department where there's opportunity for advancement. I have learned that if you are younger under 40 people will treat you like you do not know as much as they do. There are alot of co workers stuck in their ways. I love the culture, diversity and flexibility in my position.
Pros
Advancement, entry level, competitive pay, discounts
Cons
High caseloads, expensive benefits, coworkers
Everyday helping people
Program Ombudsman (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 24, 2018
Meeting clients from all levels of life needing help the worst of the worst that have been downtrodden. Folks came to see me because they believed they were done wrong. Whether "we" the employee in the building cursed to them or determined their benefits incorrectly First and foremost was to calm the persons down and allow them to speak and talk about what happen to them and deflate. Along with gathering all the facts and reviewing their application, by reviewing the programs on the computer programs on two computers to determine what happened whether we were disrespectful. The worst part of my job were the times when I found out our employee was disrespectful to the client. It happened more times than i want to remember. Many times employees made mistakes but not on purpose. I was authorized to correct mistakes and later would go see the employee to go over the error to help them learn. The absolute worst was when a baby died in the nursery a mother brought her baby in while sick and it died while in the nursery.
Pros
Helping people with food and shelter daily was great.
Cons
Seeing the volume of people that were in such a great need.
Chageling and rewarding
Case Aide (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 23, 2018
I Working for Hennepin County as a case aide at times the job could be stressful, however, it was rewarding helping clients navigate, health insurance and find the most effective cost that the family can afford.
Pros
Flex hours, working from home, or other locations.
Cons
dealing with people who are over income.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hennepin County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight