Hennepin County Employee Reviews

Staff and some managers, and upper management are good people. They see the future.
Minnesota (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MinnesotaNovember 10, 2018
Hennepin County was a good place for me. Some upper management did not like me because I was too educated and thought I was supporting a former manager in litigation and do, I was told you did this and that, and we will let you go. Overall Hennepin County is a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
Some managers do not see the future.
Can be good
Hennepin County Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 30, 2018
Diversity is very important to Hennepin County. If you don't have the skill set to do the job, they will hire you anyway and try to train you, as long as it helps them to get their percentages right.
Most definitely provide job security
Lead Principal Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 28, 2018
Team workers that work hard to provide support to the community. Management is searching for hard working dedicated and willing to train. Lots of opportunity for ambitious person.
Pros
job security
Cons
cut throat
Hennepin COunty WIC
WIC Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 16, 2018
Overworked and underpaid compare to other county agencies.
Fast paced working environment.
Hennepin county WIC employees were underpaid in comparison to other neighboring counties .
Work life balance and make a difference!
Coordinator of Volunteers (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 9, 2018
Working for Hennepin County is not stressful; the work is meaningful and manageable and the staff are kind. The workplace culture is positive with strong mission and values throughout. I love working there, collaborating with others, and making a difference in my community. I recommend working at Hennepin County!
Pros
Work-life balance, great benefits, kind people
Cons
Budget challenges that affect the work
Very interesting job
Shelter Team Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 26, 2018
I worked with Family Shelter, never a dull day. I learned about MFIP, MNSURE,GA, Food Stamps, Emergency Assistance, HUD housing, Social Security Medicare. The hardest part is turning a family away because they didn't have the correct Prudential to be eligible.

I gave each family a case plan to follow

I enjoyed meeting those that were in crisis
Pros
Helping families get out of shelter find job and housing, also helping with case plans
Cons
Barriers
Solid Job, Needs Solid Advancement Rewards
Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2018
The positions that I held, I excelled. I was hoping to be able to find more responsibility. I was given a few opportunities, but would have liked more opportunity to not be pigeon holed into a particular position.
Pros
solid job
Cons
no room to advance
Great Workplace
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 10, 2018
Love it. The mentorship is amazing. I learned so much within the first two weeks. The force you to grow and dive right into the work and that's the best way to learn in my opinion.
Best Place to work if you only have a high school diploma/GED.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 10, 2018
The majority of workers at Hennepin County are only there for the paycheck. The majority of workers at Hennepin County do not represent their clients or culture. Hennepin County lacks diversity when it comes to hiring people of color. Upper management definitely lacks people od color who are qualified.
Pros
Benefits are great for single people; holidays
Cons
Lacks diversity in upper management
n/a
Senior Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 9, 2018
Great work place/employees. Enjoyed going to work each day versus previous jobs. Everyone works as a team and makes it enjoyable to come to work and get our case loads accomplished in a timely and efficient manner.
If you are complacent this is a great place to be
Human Services Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 23, 2018
If you value being rewarded for the work you put in...keep looking because this is not the company for you. Very stressful environment and the pay and benefits don't make up for it.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful, untrained management
Hennepin County Sherriffs Office does not care about your personal life.
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 14, 2018
It was a good place to work if you want to work overtime constantly and continually be micro managed by supervisors. Once you are off probation (1 year) it is a stable job you'll always feel like a number.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
constant overtime and the scheadule is horrible.
Worst place to work
Human Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2018
Worst place to work to politically and employees ideas don't matter they have all these focus group just to make decision about jobs that they don't do. they allow clients to abuse the system and staff.
No comment
Juvenile Probation Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 18, 2018
The overall view is that there’s always room for improvements and with my volunteer duties I enjoy what I do as long as I can help a young person overcome hisnor her adversities that plaques them with whatever that got going on. I feel with what o do I can change a young person from ruining their lives from desparities in their future endeavors.
Pros
Training
Cons
Communicating
Growing professionally
Senior Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 3, 2018
Hennepin is a good place to learn more about how to balance your professional and home life. All my supervisors have been extremely resourceful and understanding on how important it is to have balance in your everyday life. The positions I’ve help allowed me to work remotely, which, I really liked the flexibility I had. I enjoyed out unit/team meetings. Being able to share stories and consult on cases really help my growth as a professional and as an individual.
great job Minneapolis
Human Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 26, 2018
Wonderful benefits
Great Job transfers option
great co workers
wonderful schedule
Has a great tuition reimbursement
Wonderful location
union
bus pass discount
Demoralizing
Office Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 24, 2018
If everything works out, great! If you have a problem, you may as well find a new job. Maybe it’s an IT issue, like mine, that persists for 2 years. Well, it’s been 2 years, so now it’s your fault for not fixing the thing you can’t fix. For not doing the things you can’t do. Now you’re up for review, people are tired of your excuses. Tired of you blaming IT.

But IT can’t or won’t solve the problem that makes your job nearly impossible. It’s been 2 years, so now it’s your fault.

Does that sound fun? If it were Everybody Loves Raymond it’d be hilarious. But it’s my reality, and it’s not a healthy environment any more.
Pros
Proximity to food trucks
Cons
Basically everything else
A good place to work
Information Technology Specialist, Senior (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 19, 2018
Once you get hired on and get into the flow of things there is plenty of work to be done if not more than is asked for sometimes. There is always an opportunity to learn and grow. The culture is quite diverse and the hardest part of the job is keeping up with work load and meetings. The most enjoyable part of the job is there is always something new to learn.
Pros
work/personal life balance is unbeatable
Cons
The amount of approvals it takes to get a plan accomplished can be lengthy
Case Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hennepin County, MNJune 18, 2018
Hennepin County is a great place to work if you would like a work and life balance. Work can be stressful depending on which department you work for. Hennepin County's salary base for jobs is higher than any of the other neighboring counties.
Pros
Some positions can work from home
Cons
Some departments or units have nightmare managers/supervisors.
Hennepin County
Sr. Chemical Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 15, 2018
Working at Hennepin County was a positive experience. I worked on a great team of folks who supported each other. We had a great manager who was available and present for support when needed as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hennepin County. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight