Hennepin County Employee Reviews

Flexibility
Human Services Representative Senior (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 15, 2019
I have worked with Hennepin County for 14 years in various roles. My current role is a Human Service Senior. Hennepin County has been a wonderful agency to work for, however, I am ready to learn and grow and utilize my skills to its highest potential. I believe my experience within Hennepin County has helped prepare me for further growth to be of service for your agency. I have worked on various projects within my position specifically involving the hospital, the new healthcare system (curam) as well as working on the healthcare restructure within the Eligibility and Work Supports department. I love working on challenging tasks and figuring out how to complete tasks efficiently.

The hardest part of my job is when I run into system issues and I am unable to assist my clients. The most enjoyable part of my job is to be able to assist many people with obtaining health insurance as well as assisting the hospital staff with processing cases for them.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
System failures
Best job EVER
Human Services Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 8, 2019
This is the best company to work for. They give out raises that fit your progress and work. You can work from home the pay and benefits was great. They promote from within and don't discriminate at all on who to put into certain titles. They don't promote off a buddy system but hard work does pay off.
Pros
Great pay and you can work from home
Cons
not being able to help a family in need for whatever reason
Fun placed to work
Mental Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 28, 2019
Monitored civil commitments, assisted client to locate resources in the community. Advocated for housing, attended court hearings, visited clients in state facilities.
Good workplace
Absentee Voting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2019
I learned a lot from staff in Hennepin County. They are willing to help me when I need, and very respect the different culture from employer.
I was very clear about what I had to do to meet deadline. They also provided me all materials I need.
Pros
Free breakfast every first week of month
Cons
I can't got more contract in this company
This was an intern position during college
Assistant Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 21, 2019
Great job for an intern position while in college. Fun co-workers, great learning experience and lead me to my position with Federal Court system. Easy to use public transportation to get to and from work.
It was really different for me
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2019
While I was working at north point It was challenging but also fun. I worked down in the food shelf It was nice to see all different types of people I got to know more about people there then school
Most definitely provide job security
Lead Principal Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 28, 2018
Team workers that work hard to provide support to the community. Management is searching for hard working dedicated and willing to train. Lots of opportunity for ambitious person.
Pros
job security
Cons
cut throat
Can be good
Hennepin County Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 30, 2018
Diversity is very important to Hennepin County. If you don't have the skill set to do the job, they will hire you anyway and try to train you, as long as it helps them to get their percentages right.
I haven't woked here for over 30 years but was a good job then.
Survey Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNOctober 30, 2018
This was my first job out ot tech school, I was a member of a four man survey crew and that is how I gained the experience to take a position as a survey crew chief.
Pros
good benifits and hours.
Cons
not much room for advancement.
Staff and some managers, and upper management are good people. They see the future.
Minnesota (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MinnesotaNovember 10, 2018
Hennepin County was a good place for me. Some upper management did not like me because I was too educated and thought I was supporting a former manager in litigation and do, I was told you did this and that, and we will let you go. Overall Hennepin County is a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
Some managers do not see the future.
Work life balance and make a difference!
Coordinator of Volunteers (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 9, 2018
Working for Hennepin County is not stressful; the work is meaningful and manageable and the staff are kind. The workplace culture is positive with strong mission and values throughout. I love working there, collaborating with others, and making a difference in my community. I recommend working at Hennepin County!
Pros
Work-life balance, great benefits, kind people
Cons
Budget challenges that affect the work
Hennepin COunty WIC
WIC Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 16, 2018
Overworked and underpaid compare to other county agencies.
Fast paced working environment.
Hennepin county WIC employees were underpaid in comparison to other neighboring counties .
Very interesting job
Shelter Team Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 26, 2018
I worked with Family Shelter, never a dull day. I learned about MFIP, MNSURE,GA, Food Stamps, Emergency Assistance, HUD housing, Social Security Medicare. The hardest part is turning a family away because they didn't have the correct Prudential to be eligible.

I gave each family a case plan to follow

I enjoyed meeting those that were in crisis
Pros
Helping families get out of shelter find job and housing, also helping with case plans
Cons
Barriers
Solid Job, Needs Solid Advancement Rewards
Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2018
The positions that I held, I excelled. I was hoping to be able to find more responsibility. I was given a few opportunities, but would have liked more opportunity to not be pigeon holed into a particular position.
Pros
solid job
Cons
no room to advance
n/a
Senior Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 9, 2018
Great work place/employees. Enjoyed going to work each day versus previous jobs. Everyone works as a team and makes it enjoyable to come to work and get our case loads accomplished in a timely and efficient manner.
Best Place to work if you only have a high school diploma/GED.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 10, 2018
The majority of workers at Hennepin County are only there for the paycheck. The majority of workers at Hennepin County do not represent their clients or culture. Hennepin County lacks diversity when it comes to hiring people of color. Upper management definitely lacks people od color who are qualified.
Pros
Benefits are great for single people; holidays
Cons
Lacks diversity in upper management
If you are complacent this is a great place to be
Human Services Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 23, 2018
If you value being rewarded for the work you put in...keep looking because this is not the company for you. Very stressful environment and the pay and benefits don't make up for it.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful, untrained management
Great Workplace
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 10, 2018
Love it. The mentorship is amazing. I learned so much within the first two weeks. The force you to grow and dive right into the work and that's the best way to learn in my opinion.
Worst place to work
Human Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2018
Worst place to work to politically and employees ideas don't matter they have all these focus group just to make decision about jobs that they don't do. they allow clients to abuse the system and staff.
Hennepin County Sherriffs Office does not care about your personal life.
Detention Deputy (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 14, 2018
It was a good place to work if you want to work overtime constantly and continually be micro managed by supervisors. Once you are off probation (1 year) it is a stable job you'll always feel like a number.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
constant overtime and the scheadule is horrible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hennepin County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight