Henrico County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Underpaid
Instructional Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 27, 2018
To get paid only $11 p/hr is insulting when food service workers are being paid more than that to flip burgers. For the patience required to work with these teenagers....there should definitely be in increase in pay.
Pros
Weekends off, holidays
Cons
Underpaid
cleaning classrooms
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAOctober 17, 2018
when i worked at henrico public schools i work night shift 3- 11:30pm . this a little different . we had to clean classrooms i had 20 classrooms . we sometimes had to go outside and pick up trash in the parking lots . than as the years went by i was the the floor tech with my manager
Pros
we had 2 ; 15 minutes breaks and 1 ; 30 minutes lunch break
Cons
we had breaks in between the end of our work time
Substitute in elementary and middle schools
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 20, 2018
I was able to work in a number of schools and enjoyed working with children of all ages, In addition to being an assistant, I was also a lead teacher in most grades and in a number of subjects in the middle schools.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
hours
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 10, 2018
Classroom management skills were set to obtain a daily living space for the kids in the class.Instructor is left notes for the daily plan and put them in affect when the teacher is missing
Workplace culture
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 6, 2018
I was a brand new teacher when I started in Henrico County Public Schools. The workplace culture was friendly and each teacher had an open door policy. Every experienced teacher was willing to help out if you needed anything. It made my first year so welcoming and less stressful!
Pros
I got to teach all subjects
Cons
No scheduled planning period for teachers
The ability to travel within the county
School Nutrition Services Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJuly 25, 2018
I work normally 7.50 to 9 hours a day, learning to work with different people. I utilize my skills and those of the individuals I work with and combine them together to make one decision that will benefit the business. Most of the management team is helpful and knowledgeable. However, everyone can learn from everyone despite what position you are in. The workplace culture is fine to work with because it allows you to learn the diversity of different people. The hardest part of the job is getting people to respect you in the manager trainee position. This is because they are intimated by what I know and have learned through the traveling to different schools. I enjoy meeting new people.
Pros
Free lunches and meeting new people
Cons
Employees stuck in the ways
It varies with what school you are in.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 24, 2018
Substituting can be great or it can be very challenging. Every day and every classroom is different. In some schools the kids are very receptive and you can get right to work, in others it takes more time to work with the kids in the class.
Pros
The job changes every time you go in.
Cons
It can be hard to capture the students attention.
Nutrition Technician
Nutrition Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 17, 2018
Working as a Nutrition Technician was interesting. It was a productive workplace with patient supervisors and helpful co-workers. Typical days were always fast paced. Easy going comradery between co-workers enabled everyone to complete individually assigned task.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Part time, no health care benefits
Cool place, but not good for advancement or raises
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJuly 10, 2018
Can be a cool employer to work with but that soley depends on your school and who you have over top of you. Hours are alright depending on your position but there is little to no advancements or raises. i went 3-4 years without a raise because it wasnt in the county budget. 2 percent raises if there is one
Pros
good hours, annual and sick hours accumulated every time you get paid
Cons
little advancements, tend to be belittled, little to no raises
Great team work with the other instructors
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2018
If I am doing clinical with the students it is from 6am until 4 pm. I am responsible for the students care of the patients and to make sure that they are following proper techniques when doing procedures. The lecture portion has been from 9am until 4pm. Various topics of discussion are taught using power point, lab time as well as allowing the students to practice what they have learned before attending the clinical phase of the program.
Very Political
Autism Teacher (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJuly 6, 2018
I am an elementary teacher at heart. Moving to Virginia forced me to take a middle school job. I was unprepared for the lack of structure and discipline. While I loved working with the special education population and my co-workers, management and support were almost non-existent.
A great place to work.
Substitute Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJune 28, 2018
A typical day at work was seeing how excited the students were to learning. I learned that many students lacked the basic essentials to life to accomplish their goals and academic success. The hardest part of the job was not being hired full time. .
working
VIRGINIA (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 26, 2018
its ok but management doesent care nothing about employees even if they were in accident. Co-workers are ok to work with, but its just supervsiors at your location doesnt car about anyone only themselves
great work enviroment
CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Henrico, VAJune 11, 2018
Friendly staff
Cleaning techniques
Good Management
The hardest part of the job is attendance
Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the final result.
Pros
no weekend friendly staff
Cons
Long summer hours
good company to work for
Dean of Students, Hermitage High School (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 10, 2018
Great company to work for. Supportive staff good administration. Great use of technology for the students to use. Very diverse population at the school I'm in.
Great place but needed new admin
ENGLISH TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Henrico, VAJune 4, 2018
I loved my immediate administrator, but the school needed a new overall building one. I did not feel like my family and my needs were valued, which is why I left.
Family Environment
Attendance Secretary (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAMay 23, 2018
I have worked with Henrico County for years and I have enjoyed the company. The environment at the school I work at is loving and very much so a huge family.
Can be very stressful
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 14, 2018
I enjoyed getting to know the students and their background. However, this school lack structure. I have been here for a few years and have had three different principals.
Caring child environment
Part Time Teacher(PRIME) (Former Employee) –  Henrico, VAApril 27, 2018
The teachers worked hard to provide the best instruction. Colleagues worked collaboratively to meet children’s needs. My part time experience with the county was great!
Depends on the school
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAApril 24, 2018
I have worked at a couple of schools in the county and it really depends. One school might have a great environment with supportive staff and ample resources, another could be the exact opposite. If you find a job at a good school, get it and hold on to it forever.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Henrico County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Henrico County Public Schools Reviews by Location