Henrico County Public Schools Employee Reviews

No review
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  EducatorFebruary 16, 2019
I am unable to endorse this division at this time. Perhaps the change in leadership will mend the adverse leaders in place at some of the divisions schools.
I worked in Nutrition Services and I loved my job. Sometimes people can make you job hard.
Assistant Nutrition Services (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 6, 2019
Working at HCPS for three years was a great experience. I started out as a substitute in the kitchen and worked my way up to an Assistant Nutrition Services.
Fast work pace
Pupil Transportation (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 31, 2019
it was a very fast paced and I enjoyed it. I was in charge of driving students to and from school. I liked working with all of the different ages of students.
Wonderful
Floor Technician/Custodian (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJanuary 22, 2019
Wonderful place to with great benefits. If it were not for relocating to North Carolina for a family matter I feel I would still be working for the school. Great job!
Seven Pines Elementary School
Lunch Monitor (Current Employee) –  Sandston, VAJanuary 8, 2019
My typical day at work is only 2 hours per day as a Lunch Monitor. I happily greet all the students and assist in opening food items they can not. I assist in making sure the students are following all the rules the cafeteria and teacher have set for them. If students get loud or not following directions I will have a talk with them and if it persists that table gets a cone and I report back to the teacher what has happened.

I have learned that each student is not the same and I have to treat each of them differently. Some students are more difficult than others so I have to be very careful how I handle their situations.

The management and support team at Seven Pines Elementary School are the best. I can go to anyone and ask questions when needed and they teach me how to handle these issues.

The hardest part of my job is trying to maintain a satisfactory noise level with students from First grade through Fifth grade.

My most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know the students and all the hugs and all the "Thank You's" I get from the students. That really makes my day.

It's been a very different work environment for me that I have thoroughly enjoyed.
Pros
The students
Cons
Not a Full Time Position
loved working with the children
Cafe Worker (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJanuary 1, 2019
I would recommend Harford County Public Schools cafe worker to a person with school aged children who needed a little extra income and just needed to get out of the house for a few hours.
Hcps
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 11, 2018
The work/life balance is hard to do for HCPS. I was always left to feel guilty if I wasn't giving over 100% to my students and my school. I would work 12-14 hours a day, spending my money and doing everything in my power to make education engaging and also show how dedicated I was. They cared more about test results which I did OK, but not great. My administration team made me feel inadequate and guilty that I wasn't doing more. I had no life and was treated poorly. When you are giving almost all of yourself to an organization, it's hard to want to stay there.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Barely any bathroom breaks, challenging students, no team environment with faculty
This is where most of my current training in my field began
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 9, 2018
Great place to work and with great people. I learned a great deal and got to service the community in ways no one would think of. Interacting with the faculty and students was also a great experience
Pros
work life balance
Cons
The winters were rough shoveling snow is very physical and uncomfortable
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 4, 2018
It was good working at the school able to prepare and serve the children and help them make different choices and try different foods the staff was great
The job is not worth the stress and time commitment.
Homebound Teacher (Former Employee) –  J. R. Tucker HADecember 2, 2018
I had no
free time while working at Henrico County, except part time at Charter Westbrook. The long hours were unreasonable, obtrusive, and border on the ridiculous.
Pros
The students, of course, were the best part of the day.
Cons
I burned out from the overtime.
Teachers across the nation are expected to do much more than we are paid to do.
Second Grade Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 10, 2018
Henrico County is a fast paced, well run county in many regards. We have ample technology and some of the best professional development around. We believe in our students. The division in our county, however, is a problem. It is very hard to work in the east end of our county and a huge problem we run into is a lack of substitutes. While we receive great benefits and ample sick days, it is often harder to take those days because we cannot find substitutes. The schools in the east end are hard to work at, those teachers and subs should be paid more. This is not an issue that is unique to Henrico, school districts across the nation face this. When I look at the hours worked (over 12 most days because good teachers don't stop thinking about teaching), I make less than $12 an hour. I have a master's degree, something about this is not right. Again, it's a national issue.
Pros
Great benefits, opportunities for career advancement, cohorts, professional development.
Cons
Lack of support in one section of the county, low pay for the amount of hours worked.
Underpaid
Instructional Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 27, 2018
To get paid only $11 p/hr is insulting when food service workers are being paid more than that to flip burgers. For the patience required to work with these teenagers....there should definitely be in increase in pay.
Pros
Weekends off, holidays
Cons
Underpaid
cleaning classrooms
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAOctober 17, 2018
when i worked at henrico public schools i work night shift 3- 11:30pm . this a little different . we had to clean classrooms i had 20 classrooms . we sometimes had to go outside and pick up trash in the parking lots . than as the years went by i was the the floor tech with my manager
Pros
we had 2 ; 15 minutes breaks and 1 ; 30 minutes lunch break
Cons
we had breaks in between the end of our work time
Awesome Place to Work!
Financial Secretary (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VASeptember 22, 2018
There are times that I wish I did not leave. Here, they treat you like family and the Administration team always find time to speak with anyone. If it is not right away, it's shortly thereafter. I really enjoyed working here and miss the folks there a lot.
Pros
Great team!
Children are great
IA (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 21, 2018
Enjoy working with children. It is a great learning opportunity if you want o learn about how children develop. If you are full time, you get holidays and some of your summer off, however during the summer a lot of educators work due to not making enough money. They pay needs to be better.
Pros
children
Cons
pay
Substitute in elementary and middle schools
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 20, 2018
I was able to work in a number of schools and enjoyed working with children of all ages, In addition to being an assistant, I was also a lead teacher in most grades and in a number of subjects in the middle schools.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
hours
Must love what you do!
Assistant Track Coach (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAAugust 14, 2018
Short and sweet, the students are amazing. Developing them in a sport that you love, is always rewarding. The down side is the management/administration is unorganized and the work environment can be hostile.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 10, 2018
Classroom management skills were set to obtain a daily living space for the kids in the class.Instructor is left notes for the daily plan and put them in affect when the teacher is missing
Workplace culture
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 6, 2018
I was a brand new teacher when I started in Henrico County Public Schools. The workplace culture was friendly and each teacher had an open door policy. Every experienced teacher was willing to help out if you needed anything. It made my first year so welcoming and less stressful!
Pros
I got to teach all subjects
Cons
No scheduled planning period for teachers
Great work place
World Language Teacher (spanish) (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, MDAugust 4, 2018
I learned a lot here. Edgewood MS was my home for 2 years, the teacher, the administrative and support staff are helpful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Henrico County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.