Hensel Phelps

Hensel Phelps Employee Reviews

Fantanstic
Excellent management. Extremely professional workplace.Flexible lunch hours. Meeting two to three times per day. Paid at the end of every week. Great work environment.
Don’t believe the hype
They tell you they have 98% retention rate, yet only 34% have been there 5 years or more. They tell you 8 hours a day but force you to work 12 to 14 hours a day minimum 7 days a week with night shifts. They treat all as disposable and let people go before you can collect bonuses or become vested. They violate federal harassment laws and retaliate if you report it by treating you worse followed by termination
Very fast paced and challenging mentally and physically for new hires.
Training was very limited due to the phase of the project I was introduced to. the formal training was to take place 16 months into my actual employment. Work life balance was poor, 12+ hr days 5 days a week with atlas one Saturday a month as a FE, often given notice of Saturday work at last minute notice i.e. was told I needed to work Saturday at the end of work day on Thursday despite having a family weekend trip planned two weeks in advance.
Cons
60+hrs wk, -5-6 days/week, Breaks are rare, many days without time to eat, Work life balance is preached but does not neccessarily apply to entry level positions
Great benefits
They hire a lot of young engineers and sometimes promote to fast with not enough experience. There were several work place violations that were covered up to protect a general superintendent and his friends on the job
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not enough experience staff
N/a
Great company to work for but there is no job security and your salary is fixed. Also don't expect a good 6 month review. The work is not to difficult depending on your position.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Okay
Internship was very eye opening and revealed to me that a publicly traded company probably is not what I would want. Also moving your entire family every two years is not something I would want either. I recall my PM stating that he moved his family 15 times is 20 years
Interesting jobs
Interesting jobs that I was able to work on. Learned a lot of different skills and enjoyed the fast-paced culture. The only issue was it was all about politics...who you know and who likes you.
Everyone was very friendly and helpful when needed.
I learned a lot in the short span of three months. When I was stuck, all my peers were happy to help me and explain to me the things I was unsure about. I had a lot of fun working here.
Fast paced enviornment
Always something to learn
Work Environment can be stressful at times

Things can change quickly depending upon work or job-site activities

Communication can be weak between employees and management

Most enjoyable part of job can be the people you work with
Productive place to work
Manage field operations. We learned about layout for self performed work and helped subcontractors whenever they struggled. Higher management levels were more than qualified. Workplace culture was dependent on job. Workload to pay ratio is the hardest part if you are a new to the company. Most enjoyable part was the people.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Minimal Growth
Very suppotive, On top of their game
Management was fair and supportive. They train everyone and are willing and earger to teach anyone that wanted to learn. The environment is phenominal, friendly, and fun. They look out for their employees and have great benefits. They get the job done.
Best Company ever!!!!
The worked for a company that cared some much about their workers.treated everyone with respect and kindness. They pa good with great benefits.Over al its an amazing company. Wish they had jobs out here
Always Working
During my time with HP it was rare for me to not work 70+ hours, heavily due to my manager who had a poor work-life balance. Our ideologies did not match and I had to leave.
Buena compañia
Se preocupan por los empleados,trabajan mucho en la seguridad en todos los aspectos,premios mensuales cada mes,trabaje a gusto con ellos,nunca tuve ningún problema
Pros
Seguridad
Cons
ninguna
Good Benefits, Clueless managers
If you spend your life working at Hensel Phelps, you will benefit greatly . Starting out fresh out of college, you can advance up through the company. Be ready for long, hard hours. If you are hired from the industry, you are considered an outsider.

Upper management is clueless to the well being of the employees. You are just a number. No compassion from management.
Pros
Good Benefits, good safety culture
Cons
Long hours, long work week, Managers out of touch
Great culture but slow advancement.
They expect you to work in a role for years regardless of competence. They hire some really great people and have a very friendly culture; however, the culture is also competitive and has high expectations for the amount of hours they expect you to work each week.
Hensel Phelps
Probably the best construction company to work for in the nation. They put your through each role no matter whether you are good or bad at it. They want you to be well rounded so that when you are in the highest levels of management you know what it is to be in those positions.
Pros
Work with your life needs and career goals
Cons
Job to job, but actively are looking for employees happiness.
Pays well if you're good
Typical day 6am-4pm M-F, must have a buddy with you the first 30 days at the intel location. The buddy program is greta but, its clear that your buddy/trainer is a busy person and is not happy to have you stuck to them all day.

Being construction, you'll find some more conservative folk. as an Field Engineer you're part of a team and have an Area superintendent to work with- majority of them are older and have tempers.

I;d say if you're younger and more progressive this is an uncomfortable place to work at.

I personally enjoy managing tasks and helping others resolve conflicts- The role is a good fit for me as I don't stress much and have a constant positive outlook on the goal.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Politics
Typical day at work was to complete assignement sheet. I learned a lot of safety hazards in the construction industry. Management was awesome to work with. Workplace culture was fair. The hardest part of the job was climbing stairs with harness and tools constantly. Most enjoying part of job was building safety rails and keeping people protected.
Pros
Visa credit card insentives
Cons
No work when it rains
Fantastic
Hensel Phelps and my time with them was fantastic they really do what they say and show a true commitment to there employees and truly care as a family.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, generous time off, to many perks tolist.
Cons
Fun place to work but it is fast-paced job
Typical day: you start at 6am and end at 4pm Monday throw Friday, you walk at least 10,000 steep a day.
I learned how to look at a blue print, how to talk to other trade to solve problems

The hardest part of the job was how to track the work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hensel Phelps. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.1
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.2Career Opportunities
1.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight