Hensel Phelps Employee Reviews

A very political company
Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 20, 2018
I felt I did not belong to the good all boy culture at Hensel Phelps. This is why I left and moved on. I do not believe management did anything to address this.
Pros
Great employee share program
Cons
The company does not have a teamwork culture
I have no comments to write. None
Construction Project Scheduler (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 19, 2018
I have no comments to write here that would help anyone reviewing this review. None that concerns working at this company. The work place is close net.
Benefits and pay options should improve for craft
Carpenter Foremen (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FL 32526March 18, 2018
Great place to work in most cases. Management need to work on people skills. More time and training should be invested into craft workers to improve their knowledge about safety.
Work Hard Play Hard Culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 8, 2018
During my internship, the company showed me it was the kind of environment where you can work hard and play hard. There were company outings often. You were treated respectfully in the office. It was expected that you work long hours but they rewarded their people very well.
Very great company to start out at upon graduation
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 6, 2017
Hensel Phelps is a great company! You start out at either Field Engineer or Officer Engineer. You train with another FE or OE for the first couple of months and learn the in's and out's of large commercial building.
Fast pace you need to have thick-skin
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 9, 2017
You work with different sub contractors they are all not nice some scream at you and some are kind....It's very fast pace job a lot of paperwork a lot of changes on a daily bases you need to file everyday.
Pros
We had a lot of lunch events
Cons
Once your finished with that project you never know where you'll be next.
Good construction company
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COMarch 8, 2017
This company values its employees very much. Constantly offering work classes to better yourself and the company. Many chances to move up the ladder.-
Carpenter Foreman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2017
I don't believe they hire trade craft skilled workers anymore, they only contract. Enjoyed working here. Good group of co workers, great benefits and care about safety,.
HP is great if you are fresh out of college!
Office Manager/Site Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, PAJanuary 11, 2017
HP is really great at getting college grads started and I love the way they alternate being in the field and then in the office. It gives excellent exposure to those trying to become PM's or Superintendent's.
Good Company to Work For
Carpenter / Site Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2016
Typical construction environment. Management is supportive and understanding of field challenges.

Could do without some of the field laborers that seem to be protected by the senior foreman....even though they are often caught screwing around.
Great Company
Director of Technical Services (Current Employee) –  NationalJuly 15, 2016
Great company full of great people. You must be willing to travel as the work is only as long as the project lasts.
Can be intimidating for the "new guy" but worth going through the "initiation" period.
majority of management is good. Yet top dog is cheap, unwilling to reconize dedication and integrity. They have a few great guys and give zero credit.
Carpenter Foreman (Former Employee) –  Nassau Bay, TXJuly 1, 2016
Have guys who know what they're doing and do it very well and don't credit them with the appreciation or respect they should. They under pay every position, from labor to Foreman, a minimum 4-7$per hr. They are to much involved with giving known personal friends authority positions,
They've been great
Project Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ceres, CAJune 14, 2016
They are willing to work with my schooling schedule, and they are great people in a great company. The only thing is that it's construction, and because I'm still in school, it isn't really an option for me to relocate like construction requires. I wish I could stay and move up and progress in the company, but it doesn't seem ideal for me at this point in time.
Pros
Cooperative, team building, considerate, allows growth
Cons
Relocation possible, commuting possible
Great Opportunities
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 6, 2016
Hensel Phelps is a great place to work, you will get a lot of training and be working side by side with the industry's most competent professionals.
A lifestyle not a job
Manager of Technical Services (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 30, 2016
The company culture is very strong. There is a very high level of employee buy in.

Fantastic people and interesting work, however, it requires a lot of effort and high level of commitment.

It has served me well but it's time to move on.
Pros
Fantastically skilled and productive co-workers.
Cons
Poor work life balance.
productive, you work for your money,
Journeyman Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 30, 2016
A typical day at work, you do three to four different crafts jobs. learned about form work. management was hard on people. great co-workers. the hardest part of the job, not doing only your job.
Pros
gave away tv's, gift cards, tools, etc, fed you.
Cons
doing other crafts job.
Great job to work for.
Office Administrator/Account (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 18, 2015
A typical day for me starts out with check all bank accounts to ensure if any funds may or may not need to be transferred and that all bills are paid in a timely manner. Look at and approve over all invoices that have come in, then enter in to Quick books to be emailed out. Go over all past due invoices and resend them if necessary to ensure we are being paid in a timely manner.Receive and enter in all invoices and receipts into Quick Books for reconciliation A/P. Process any cut all checks for subcontractors. This is just a little of what my day consist of.
Busy, positive, high expectations, demanding atmosphere
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mid-Atlantic DistrictSeptember 29, 2015
It is a demanding career. There will be long hours and sometimes 7 day work weeks. The benefit package is outstanding and after you put in anywhere from 4 to 5 years of time, you will benefit from stock in the company. Most people retire from this company a millionaire. If you are willing to travel and donate your time and energy to this company, retirement will be enjoyable.
Pros
Stock options
Cons
Donate a lot of your time to the company
Originally seemed like a great company to work for.
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 24, 2015
In the end, it appears there are a lot of lies and manipulation in management. They have a Project Manager who is extremely shady and fires people when he doesn't like them for no actual business reason, but somehow finds an excuse that the company accepts as a valid reason. Superintendents and Project Engineers seem to be manipulated to do as he pleases as well. Admin detested him but were forced to run his personal errands and be at his beckon call, and the craft guys were treated like dirt. I believe Hensel Phelps has potential to be a great company. It's a shame when one individual with too much power finds ways to run the company to suit his own personal needs and not the best interests of the company. It's really very sad. I fear this particular project will end up failing miserably. It's a shame that the district office and main office fail to realize the extent of this person's actions, or choose to ignore them simply b/c he makes the company "x" amount of money.
Pros
Some really great people work there
Cons
Some manipulative and selfish people work there
amazing company
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Shaw AFB, SCApril 9, 2015
Although being an Admin is only a temporary job it's been by far the best company I've ever worked for. They are very understanding when you have personal things to deal with. They help you strive to be a better member of the team and even give free trainings to anyone that wants them.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
if hourly you have to be with the company for 2 years before you vacation