Hepaco Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stressfull
Driver/Technician (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJanuary 18, 2018
Fast Paced work and willing to be out of town, and stressful work environment. Starting wage depends on your experience in this field. Be able to work overtime and more than 40hrs a week, and be on call 24/7.
Disorganized
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 13, 2017
The company doesn't even have a payroll system. They are still recording payroll by hand. Every day you have to hand in a written slip for the hours that you work and then an administrator would enter that information into their payroll system. It was the cause of many errors.
Mostly a negative experience
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 14, 2017
The HEPACO Pittsburgh office is small, somewhat unorganized &unprofessional, and generally miserable.

Most of the work is muscle/labor "environmental" work; tank cleaning, spill cleanup, haz & non haz, etc.
The company is a 24-hour response company. 24 hours means 24 hours for each any every employee. It is not uncommon to be called out in the middle of the night and stay out for well over 18 hours.

Traveling is expected, and can be frequent. The Pittsburgh office is subjected to spill response all over the Northeast.

Morale within the office is exceptionally low, especially from the laborer position. Workers receive relatively low wages, and are often subject to harmful, and toxic chemicals under poor working conditions.

Safety is preached within the company. However, when a spill response comes in, safety generally goes out the window. Management does not care if you work over 24/36/48, etc. hours straight, as long as they are making money. Safety is important until profit is threatened.

Most of the equipment does not work, which makes the jobs harder to accomplish. Management does not like spending money to fix necessary equipment.

Management has been known to cut hours from workers' paychecks to save profit.

Management plays favorites with workers, and chooses to ridicule/belittle those they are not in favor of, rather than teach and correct. Management is also known to have explosive tempers.

Overall not an enjoyable place to work. Very high turnover rate. High risk, low reward. Would not recommend applying here unless absolutely desperate.
It was a temporary job
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Theodore, ALNovember 13, 2017
this job was after the oil spill in 2010, We worked long hours everyday and weekends. We had many work crews, that took turns, so we didn't have to work consistly, but only when needed.
Pros
great money
Cons
but long hours
A typical day at work
Laboratory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 6, 2017
There was a lot of paperwork involved, but overall the team at HEPACO are great to work with. The best places to work are the Emergency Response team or Drivers if you are looking to get paid a lot of money.
Great job
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 30, 2017
Company was a family everyone stuck together to do there part the weather did get bad at times because of the weather being too hot to work in the pay was good until it was almost time to part ways
Pros
Breaks were great they provided lunches, water, and Gatorade to the employees
Horrendous job. Travel constantly, with little notice. 24+hour shifts
Driver / environmental remediation technician (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 21, 2017
It is the single worst job ive ever had. Hired as a commercial driver, immediately became traveling day laborer in toxic (literally) environments.
You will rarely drive a commercial vehicle. Three times in one year. The rest of the time is spent shoveling, carrying, cleaning up deadly and toxic environments.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
undergoing concerning changes
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 13, 2017
my direct management is wonderful. beyond that they have started treating people like mechanical assets. i attribute this to being taken over by an investment company
Pros
always something different
Cons
youll be home less than a otr truck driver
Thrown to the wolves
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 26, 2017
OK place to work if you have specific experience in the field. If not, you will be faced with quite a challenge to figure out where you fit in and what to do on a day-to-day basis.

Also, the company is not as deep on the bench as it makes itself out to be.
Pros
Good pay for PM's
Skip hepaco
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCApril 5, 2017
Patriarchal working environment with an archaic operations process. Admin. Assistants are expected to be subservient, quiet and "back room" so to speak. Communication between groups is substandard.
Energency Response Manager
Emergency Response Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 5, 2017
I have enjoyed working for Hepaco. they let me advice from part time tech to Emergency response mgr. i dont want to leave, but i want to move closer to my daughter and her family
Great co-workers
Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCFebruary 3, 2017
Management needsto listen to the employee's. No room for advancing unless you are I'm the corporate office on Charlotte.
great place of work
Administrative Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 19, 2017
Fantastic place of work, gained a vast amount of knowledge.
great workplace culture, met various types of people. Great benefits provided by the company
Great company to work for!
ADMINISTRATIVE & ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 9, 2016
They were fantastic. Working around traffic issues and family situations. All of the supervisors were very understanding and it was a great place to work!
Worst job I ever had
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 14, 2016
It might not be all branches but the Pittsburgh office is a terrible place to work. First off, the word "Environmental" does not reflect the work you do. You are just a laborer. Second, having a college degree meant nothing to the company, I was put down as a laborer and I had more experience in the field than the people above me, yet I was looked down upon. They lied to me promising me a job to get me on board then never gave me that position. Almost all of the equipment didn't work so often it was hard to get a job done. They are extremely cheap and take every shortcut to get the job done. Management there is terrible with communicating and certain workers get privileges that others don't due to their relationship with the manager. There was no chance of going up the company ladder. They would cut out hours on paychecks to save themselves money. It was just the worst job experience I have had
Pros
Some good people not all
Cons
Everything was a con
hepacho is a great company
oil tech (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2016
I loved. It here its a great company and also the hours where great. The employers where great and my co workers where helpful i loved it at Hepacho its a great company to start off with
Pros
a great company
Cons
no cons
Awful place to work for
Beach Attendant (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSSeptember 27, 2016
This place was so unorganized they didn't pay you on time.they under paid you always lying about your pay check the food they feed you was always under cooked or raw.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long breaks
Work place is relaxed however they do not keep their word
Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 15, 2016
Before i signed on to work the only stipulation i had was for them to work with me while im still ln school. They have gone back on their word several times and make it very difficult to go to school and work for them.
Worst place I have ever worked for
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 7, 2016
HEPACO is the worst company I have ever worked for. The overall environmental "feel" within the workplace was extremely negative. VERY low morale, outdated/filthy work spaces, old and broken equipment, etc. It is obvious that the company is all about $$$ and pays VERY little attention to the quality of it's assets and morale of its employees. Not to mention that management is very quick fire an employee. They have the highest turnover rate I've experienced in my career. I could go on and on with the negatives but literally could spend an hour ranting. On the positive side, it IS a good place to learn if you are interested in this industry and are just starting out. I've always been an advocate for "getting your hands dirty" and learning from the bottom up. Contrarily, if you have significant experience, are degreed, have worked for other "consulting" firms, etc., this is NOT the place for you.
Pros
stability, "some" good people
Cons
not enough space to list the Cons; WAY too many
Great place to work with excellent leadership and human resources
Remediation Manager, Asbestos manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 4, 2016
I worked here for many years and feel that the leadership was excellent. The human resources department for this company was excellent, very fair, and balanced. An over all great place to work. I learned a great deal from this company.
Pros
all