Herc Rentals Employee Reviews

Ran by incompetent people
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Pacheco, CADecember 10, 2018
This company is horrible and ran by complete idiots. They promote incompetent loosers to management positions. They look for reasons to fire or harass long time dedicated employees because they say they make to much money. At one point they were closing down branches and firing people for no reason other than to make there numbers for the investors. A manager even told me one time that "equipment is not guaranteed to work it's guaranteed to be there". I would advice no one to work there.
Awful place to work i wouldn't want my worst enemy to work there
Yard Boss (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXDecember 4, 2018
No room at all for advancement, only had one manager that cared about the job while the rest had no idea what they were doing. Hard work gets you nowhere but doing other peoples job when they dont want to do it. I had high Hopes for this company when I started and it was a huge disappointment for me.
Pros
Able to learn to operate equipment for when you leave the job, and mechanics are a great group of guys willing to teach you
Cons
poor management and facilities, and not safe
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 27, 2018
work bay area too small for the big equipment (excavators, etc.) to maneuver safely or work on safely. welding equipment inadequate for welding heavy equipment safely. shop foreman does not restock nuts/bolts or order parts correctly or timely. Coworker injured on job do to unsafe conditions.
Excessive Hours and high Stress
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 18, 2018
As the lead coordinator the job can be extremely stressful. I worked 60 hours a week as the coordinator and it was unreal. Extremely stressful to achieve daily tasks with traffic, and trucks crashing. New York is a unique market.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Not a clear and defined strategy
Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 14, 2018
I believe the company would like to grow at the national level however the local management is happy with the status quo. There isn't a clear and defined strategy for growth.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
No growth opportunity
Herc is a joke - likely to go out of business after Sears!!
Branch manager. (Former Employee) –  Michigan.November 12, 2018
Poor management, lack of staffing, no training, no equipment, let’s go compete with Home Depot rental!!! Does not take care of employees or customers. Equipment is old and not maintained. Management is clueless. 60+ hour work week for branch managers. Scared to lose your job every day. They give you vacation days, but your phone rings off the hook 24/7 and you get verbally assaulted if you don’t carry it and answer all of the time. Need I say more? Crazy high turnover and ran by management that doesn’t have a clue about equipment.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Everything else.
great job not so great place to work
Yard Jockey (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MINovember 7, 2018
overall aspect of the job is great. everyone the overall worked well with one another. the company as a whole is not heading in a good path. was promised a mechanic position and when it came time to promote they had budget issues so i was not able to be promoted
Nice work place, mostly nice coworkers.
C Mechanic/coordinator/yard work (Former Employee) –  Clute, TXOctober 29, 2018
It was easy work. I learned a lot. Made some new friends. Management is sometimes difficult to get along with, but that is normal. Overall it was not a bad job. I wish I would have stayed.
Pros
Occasional free lunches. Excellent benefits.
Cons
Building facing N/S so wind would always blow through. Very dusty yard.
Do not recommend Hertz Equipment Rental with in the South East area
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Clute, TXOctober 28, 2018
Management in the South East area (Houston area) was cut throat and back stabbing. Their is a click with the management and who ever was a "Yes Man." Other locations had good District Manager's but the Houston area management was cut throat.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Management was cut throat, and backstabbing to get ahead.
Productive and very busy place to work
Supervisor Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLOctober 10, 2018
I worked with some really great people who were both hardworking and dedicated. I enjoyed working with my Senior Management as many of them were great people.
Pros
Great team personnel to work with
Cons
A number of primary functions are not automated - lack of enough personnel to accomplish the mission
What a Joke!
Territory Sales Representative-ProSolutions (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAOctober 6, 2018
Upper management is clueless! COO trying to mock past performance without the capital or resources.
No training! "Here's your laptop & keys...Go sell!" mentality.
Upper management is a bunch of opportunists that provide a lot of lip service and zero support! Great division between "Core Sales" and "Specialty Sales", and management does nothing to bridge the gap.
Pros
Company Vehicle, Beneifits, and commision
Cons
Management Sucks!
Plenty of Home time
Driver/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 2, 2018
As long as you did your job in a timely and safe manner they were pretty relaxed. Loved that I was able to drive the truck home in the evenings. Wish I would have stayed.
Pros
Good schedule, company truck
Cons
Dispatch needs more training
Herc Rentals
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTSeptember 28, 2018
I very much enjoyed my time with Herc Rentals, due to untimely medical circumstance, I was forced to take a leave. The company holds great cultural values that aligned with my own personal values. I am finally ready to reenter the workforce and I am looking for a challenge.
Very relaxed atmosphere. Company values its employees.
Regional Inside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 22, 2018
Working with HERC was a great experience I hope to build on with my next employer by being an influential contributor to the organization, and a student of the industry.
Pros
Cafeteria, Gym, No Weekends, No Nights
Cons
Downsized
Very Diverse Workplace
Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 14, 2018
Great place to work with lots of nice benefits. Unfortunately shop shutdown and lost job. Otherwise the staff is great to work with and other shops are nice as well.
Pros
variety of equipment to maintain
Poor Management
Field Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NCSeptember 9, 2018
The managers, if you call them that, focus on putting out fires instead of preventing them. They do not appreciate their employees and refuse to compensate them accordingly.
Fast pace work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 30, 2018
The moment the phones turn on in the morning it is go go go. The phones never stop ringing. People coming in and out looking for equipment. Management was there to help if they were free but most of the time people felt very overwhelmed.
Great company with lots of opportunity...Poor Management
BRANCH MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Williston, NDAugust 26, 2018
Herc is a great company, with a great vision and senior leadership team. Unfortunately, I went through 3 Managers in 8 months. Our last leadership change saddled me with a Manager that does not believe in my abilities, and finds my personality "too laid back".
Pros
Great benefits. Career advancement. Earning potential. Excellent Senior Leadership
Cons
Consistent direct management. Decision making ability
Fleet Services Coordinator / Product Support (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLAugust 20, 2018
Great place to work. I truly enjoy working here. Looking for new opportunities since I will be relocating. If I could take my current position and work remotely I would.
Sr. Director, Accounts Receivable (Current Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLAugust 13, 2018
Great place to work and one of the biggest employers in the area. Come in and do good things and you will be recognized. Be aggressive in attacking your work and stay up to date on the leading edge of tools within your area of business, even if the company doesnt have those tools yet.
Pros
Great area of the country and business growth potential
Cons
Young company that has many, many things going on, some not always coordinated which create conflicting priorities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Herc Rentals. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about