Herff Jones, LLC Employee Reviews

Cap and gown
Sorting Inspector (Former Employee) –  Arcola, ILSeptember 30, 2019
Excellent place to work,everyone is friendly. Work pace is sometimes fast but nothing you can't handle usually. Office people are extremely nice and helpful.
Great place to work with my schedule
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Artesia, NMSeptember 30, 2019
Herff Jones has been a great place for me to advance my customer service skills and provide excellent service to high school students and their family.
Awful
Order Processor (Former Employee) –  Arcola, ILSeptember 30, 2019
All they focus on is production and making your quota. Was told if you do not make your quota you will be fired.
If you are a drinking buddy you can get away with anything. If you show up and do your job everyday, make your quota, you are not acknowledged at all, in fact you have to make up for all of the dead beats that call in sick excessively, come in late, go to the bathroom literally 10-15
times a day
Pros
Great hours
Cons
No advancement unless you are related.
Management had no experience in the area that they were in charge of.
Digital Print Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 26, 2019
Management had no experience in the area that they were in charge of.

Big egos stopped them from listening to any person that knew what they were doing.

Deep into Micro management
Pros
you got paid
Cons
Not a good career choice
Manufacturing driven company who bought out my prior company
Herff Jones bought out my previous company, Masters of Design and moved us to another state. I was grateful to be employed. I enjoyed my particular occupation but did not feel a complete part of Herff Jones as we basically operated as a separate entity within the company.
Therefore, there was no room for advancement and salary increases except for basic cost-of-living increases over the years.
I stayed until I retired because I enjoyed my job and my peers, and had some flexibility with hours.
Great place to work.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PA 17325September 3, 2019
I worked at Herff Jones for 33 years and I enjoyed every day. I first started in the bindery sewing,mailing,gluing and covering books. In my later years there I worked on the computer, scanning, cropping,and adjusting faces on pictures, The people I worked with was like one big happy family.
Excellent
Digital Press Operator/Casemaker (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 31, 2019
Herff jones paid fairly promoted within there ranks and the only reason I stopped working there was due to a plant being moved decent benefits plan would recommend
The overall management at Herff Jones in Montgomery, AL was excellent.
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 21, 2019
When yearbook season is happening, there is a lot of work & at times hard to keep up. However, once trained, people there are laid back but hardworking.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Wish that I was not a seasonal worker.
Lacks morale, passion & enthusiasm
Lead Customer Service Ring Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 14, 2019
The company in general is good. Morale is low; however, things are upcoming in attempts to increase morale & employee participation. The company does offer benefits; however, in comparison to other companies appears to be high. Many employees lack the enthusiasm and compassion for working for this company.
Laid back
Bindery Operator (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSAugust 10, 2019
Laid back but fast paced in a friendly environment great people to work with and very understanding when it comes to their employees I would recommend anyone to work for this company
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Fast paced
I liked working for Herf Jones
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  2525 Midpoint, Dr Edwardsville Ks.August 8, 2019
The only problem i had staying at Herff Jones my transportation. I feel as if their was public transportation provide in that area i wouldnt have had no issues going to work for the company
Company does not seem to care about employees
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 6, 2019
Compensation is not equal between peers and is on the low end for skilled positions. Benefits are available but expensive. Advancement is not easily attained.
Great job
Bindery Operator (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSAugust 2, 2019
it's a great job to work at sometimes it can be a little stressful the majority of the time is very fun to be around different people different backgrounds cultures other than that the job is excellent.....
Pros
Laid back great environment
Cons
Little to no communication..
WOW, what a mess and getting worse
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 1, 2019
The leadership team is out of touch with reality. The team that has been put together is young and lacks experience in many different situation. Each leader can show a past success, but no one can show a history or multiple successes in the past. Leadership (top) like Sales, HR, Mkt are in a "land" grab play and it is hurting many hard working people. Senior players have been brought in and because they seem to threaten the status quo are immediately exited from the company. I agree with the other comments, it is literally POOF, they are gone. Looking from outside it looks like the right things are being done. But when you pull it back and get into the details, this has been going on for years with no real impact EXCEPT increased costs, lack of revenue - millions. The team is so focused on driving a process and they have forgotten about what makes that happen, people. Think about this, if they were able to get their act together, and they have been trying this for years, they still have a product (book and ring) that are out dated, not in demand, and is NOT addressing the future demand of their audience. One could take the numbers with little effort and forecast the end. There comes a time when the fixed costs can no longer be rationalized. You can see this over the last five years in the industry movement, as reps (who are not employees) are outsourcing their products and adopting additional products from outside the industry. It is a mess, and there is not a bright future with this company or industry as it is moving today. The industry is a cash cow and it stay  more... attractive to investors, BUT, there is a time coming when this will be no more. In the meantime the chairs continue to be rearrange on the Titanic, outcome continues to the the same and only a few are making 100,000's even millions in the process.  less
Line worker (Former Employee) –  Arcola, ILJuly 30, 2019
I worked at herff Jones as a seasonal employee. When the season was over they offered me a full time position. I had to relocate at that time back to southern Illinois. I would have gladly accepted the position is I wasn't moving. I enjoyed working for this company and still miss the staff to this day.
Good place to work, be prepared to drive a lot
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 28, 2019
A decent enough company. Good pay, good people. It's about what you think it is. You deal in photography and school stuff. Rings, graduation ceremonies. Stuff like that. They're very insistent on punctuality but once you're there it's relatively relaxed.
Poor management
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 28, 2019
Very unprofessional, wanted you to learn press machines at a very fast rate, it takes at least 3 months to be comfortable on a press machine, they wanted you to learn in a 2 week span. Also, I was promoted to team lead and I performed the job for at least 2 months and I was never paid for it, as in retropay or pay increase.
Big gap between employees and managers
Unspecified (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 26, 2019
I had some great experiences at Herff Jones and so not great experiences...depending on my manager. Unfortunately, no one ABOVE the managers ever seek to do 360 reviews and double check their behavior. Just because someone gets the job done, doesn't mean they are good at their job. A lot of the managers never even spoke to me, and the majority were not aware of my day to day responsibilities.
It’s like competition
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 24, 2019
Management gets told everything from HR there is no confidentiality amongst you and HR they tell the plant manager and Superintendent whatever an employee comes to their office about. It’s a lot of stress working there especially during peak season when hours soar sometimes pass 12hrs Monday thru sat and depending on where you work you could you could work on Sunday as well
Pros
Pay during peak season
Cons
Stress, no life balance, unfair management, and with HR being a follower and not a leader
Never again
Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 23, 2019
This business is coming to an end. You have aging sales reps, product that is not relevant, and a company that is full of back stabbing and in it for self. I have never been in such a toxic organization where they treat people that have been there for years like nothing. They say they are moving to an enterprise type model but all that has done is eliminate jobs. The team is young and not experienced in leading a turn around. They have text book knowledge and maybe some experience, but only years deeps. IF you want to exist, you have to stay relevant. If you want to keep your people, you have to treat them with respect. It is a shame, there are good people there and at one time it was the place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Herff Jones, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight