Heritage Centers Employee Reviews

Stressful but productive place to work
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 16, 2018
Worked with individuals who had a cognitive and or mental health diagnosis. Job had many stressful moments, but was rewarding knowing you made a difference with helping someone to move forward in their life.
Pros
Was able to work a flex schedule
Cons
There was no closure with your case loads. had to manage the same cases.
was a good place 20 years ago, but it has been a long time
Disability Rights Advocate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 31, 2018
I left in August 1998 and doubt that anything I have to say is current enough to be important. It was a nice place to work then, but I can't say anything about what it is like now.
Pros
good people to work with, real opportunity to make a difference in people's lives
Cons
no benefits
Long hours, people do no call and no show still have an the job the next day.
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 25, 2017
Horrible management, no communication, low pay (11 dollars for all the work DSPs do), the company does not care about the employees. You get a paid vacation, but you have to find someone to cover you while you are on vacation or you won't be able to go on one. Working evening means, you will get stuck and spend the night at work. It is just horrible.
Pros
Seeing the individuals achieve their goals.
Cons
Everything else.
Management Stinks
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 30, 2017
Couldn't stand being there with management. Knew many people who had issues with lazy management who wouldn't help or listen to our safety concerns. When several people went to next management in line and they too did nothing. Then 2 staff members got hurt because management wouldn't listen to us. What did management do? Nothing but blame staff saying they weren't aware of any issues. If you work here you need to watch your back and document everything that happens to you, what management says and does, what residents do etc.... COVER YOURSELF!! Because if something happens they will blame you or other staff members while management lies.
Pros
only the residents are the pros
Cons
management, safety
Enjoy teaching my residents how to handle living life without help
RHT (Former Employee) –  East Aurora, NYOctober 19, 2017
I show them how to cook and clean and wash clothes feed there self find a job how to stay in touch with their supervisor. Also how to stay in touch with family and how to have a relationship with other friends. I also showed them calming techniques like going for a walk with a bad day how to cut their hair also bathe also how to planet and keep there house in order. How to save money and budget with grossly shop and how to save there money for things they enjoy doing. While still finding time to bond with them and be there mental health support enclosing everyone around me grew for the better with all my support.
Dealing with kids who’s waiting to be placed in a home
Sitter (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 12, 2017
Working with Kids is fun. The hardest part of the job is staying awake and having to sit down for 12 long hours. Another hard part is making sure the kids don’t attack you.
Pros
No supervision
Cons
Having to sit so long
Management is sloppy
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYAugust 14, 2017
Specifically in our After School Programs, the four years I've been here and the lack of communication and knowledgeable management has yet to change.
Excellent families to work with
Residential Habilitation Trainer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NY 14214August 7, 2017
I worked with families in need of respite care for their children. I worked with the children on any goals listed in their plans and took them into the community to learn money and people skills. I worked with the children on safety in the community and knowing their personal information (even if non-verbal).
I provided counseling to the families on how to navigate the system in the best way for their child(ren) when they were struggling. Provided parents with tips on how to work with their children when they were experiencing behavioral outbursts, etc.
Pros
Became a part of the families that I worked with
nice place to work...
Residental Habilitation Trainer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 19, 2017
Decent benefits and nice co-workers with a ladder to move ahead....not physically demanding work but you must have the mental patience to achieve desired outcomes...
Great Place
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 10, 2017
love to work here good work environment and very good communication with the supervisors and the residents who did live there . i woud recommend this job to other people .
heritage center is teaching, fun ,and awarding
Home Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 1, 2017
Heritage center is a teaching ,fun and awarding place to work because were teach mentally challenged people who are will to learn more times than not.
Pros
free lunch, fun outings, good health care plan
Cons
negative behavior act sometimes
It was okay but the individuals make up for it
Residential Habilitation Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, NYJune 21, 2017
I honestly loved working there for the individuals but the co workers and the management can be really nasty and rude. I realized many of the people there were not even trying to make the home better for the individuals. It honestly upsets me how drama is more important than the well being of the individuals. Other than that, I definitely would recommend asking for day shifts because you really do learn more through bringing the individuals to appointments. Also the great thing about Heritage is that they train you before putting you into the homes. I learned alot through that as well, which was a plus! Don't get me wrong, the job as a whole was great, it is just the people that can make it unbearable.
Pros
nursing, medication, disablities, Emr
Cons
Literally no breaks for yourself, low pay
stressful and no support from management
RESIDENTIAL HAB TRAINER (Current Employee) –  grand island nyMay 20, 2017
would not recommend anyone to work here. it is stressful and the management does not care at all about staff, all they care about is you coming. you can be sick and get flack for calling in.
Fun and productive work environment
Mental Health Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 3, 2017
I worked with children and teen in the community and I loved the job. I learned a lot about myself and the clients. I was able to work with them to build skills in the community
Each employee brings something different to the table.
Residential Habilitation Trainer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 25, 2017
Working at each group home is very different as the needs of each resident is different. Sometimes you spend more time redirecting, other times it's more hands on healthcare aide work.
Pros
There is always coverage needed.
Cons
Working in the evening means you have no time for family during those hours.
Dont do it
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Hamburg, NYMarch 30, 2017
Been here for years. For a company that advocates for people they sure don't care for their employees. Lucky if you get a bonus at Christmas now. If someone doesn't show up to relieve you on your shift, you're stuck, no if and or buts. Good luck trying to move up too because once they got you, they got you. They don't want to then have to fill your horrible position if you move up. It's always "hired outside of the company". Nothing is ever appreciated and the stuff you have to do for the horrible pay isn't worth it. Bed bugs are always a problem too and no Heritage won't pay for your home if you bring them home. Can't even take off or go on vacation unless you find your coverage (good luck on that with no workers )
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Very rewarding company and job to have.
Assistant Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Work FloorMarch 13, 2017
I helped supervise people with disabilities and teach them how to do everyday jobs in the community and be able to keep a job. Helped the clients to be able to sustain themselves in different job positions.
Great for experience
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 9, 2017
This job was great for experience but the building is out dated and the equipment that the staff were using needed to be updated. But it was great to gain the experience.
great place
IN-HOME FOSTER CARE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 11, 2017
Great atmosphere and staff. Always very respectable and offer a helping hand in all departments thus far. Always opened to suggestion and always room to move up.
Very caring environment
Direct Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 27, 2017
I love my job working with the disabled. I make their life as normal as possible . I do anything that the client can't do on they own. I loving helping people who cant help themselves.