Herman & Kittle Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
You can do better, but good in a pinch
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMay 4, 2018
Former employee: Working at HKP was like going back to high school. I have not had a job like this in several years. The day of my interview, I was surprised how clean the grounds were. Thought it was going to be a great place to work. Regional Manager who interviewed me said the property was undergoing change, this made me excited. However, when I started there, I quickly realized that everything I was told in the interview was just lip service. My first few days in my role I quickly learned that there existed great favoritism. Some employees were allowed to do whatever they pleased. Given their status, discipline/coaching was simply not possible. Everytime you had to say something they didn't like, they would whine to upper Management. With that being said, I did learn a lot in the short time I was there. But I highly suggest you take a job with HKP only if you are desperate. The location I worked at was a constant revolving door. I can see why. Everyone is over-stressed. The location where I worked needed at least one more support personnel to keep up with the traffic and tenant needs. Pay was decent for the area. Insurance sucked, overpriced, high deductible, very narrow provider network.
Pros
Site management pay is decent
Cons
Everything else
Poor Management
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INApril 26, 2018
Too many people to report to and no one communication between those people. No office organization. Always under staffed and over worked. The grounds were filthy and corporate refuses to spend money to make improvements
Great place low pay
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TNApril 19, 2018
I loved working at HKP but the pay is way below standards. $21 an hour for a 20 year experienced maintenance supervisor is ten years behind the times.
I made that amount in the early 2000s and it's now 2018. I quit and found another company willing to pay $25 per hour to start with bonuses giving me over 10k more per year.
It's a great company and if you can stand the pay. I'd say go for it.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Low pay
It was a good environment
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2018
I was hired temporarily by a staffing agency to work there. I wish I could have worked there longer. I enjoyed the environment, the tenants, and potential tenants.
Pros
Could move around freely
Productive company with fun all around
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 6, 2018
Very good company that introduced me into the leasing industry. Coming into the property i was hired on as a Community Assistant
where i was introduced into my first property. Once i learned the routes and picked up the pace on what was expected i was promoted to the leasing agent, i was able to spread my wings and excel along side the company.
Job
Floating Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 20, 2018
I really enjoy the company because it has an open policy, and it is very easy to work for the company. I also love the company because it has very good benefits and PTO time.
Typical Day at work sucks
Regional Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 7, 2018
I do not look forward to going into work everyday. It is something I actually dread. I have never had a job I felt so uncomfortable in. Do not recommend this place to anyone.
Not worth the black hole on your resume...
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 25, 2018
You will never be able to tell people with confidence where you work. Most current employees simply state that they work at HKP and leave it at that. Once you realize how negative this company is perceived by its partners, the community, and public authorities, you will too be ashamed of wearing their badge of dishonor. I am not able to fully describe in detail here (last post deleted) what exactly makes Herman and Kittle a bad company, so I will keep it short. Do not work here unless you are in desperate need of work. You can do better.
Pros
Free Coffee in Corp Office
Cons
Negative reputation, Bad publicity on the evening news, Some properties require security to visit
too big too fast
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 7, 2018
not enough time to train and retain new hires. No support for out of state properties, High turnover in middle management and supervisory positions. High turn over in site staff
Pros
progressive
Cons
traiing and retention
Headache!!!
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 1, 2018
Work for this company at one of their properties and upper management is beyond horrible!! The property is in an undesirable area and upper management refused to get security for the tenants as well as repair the alarm system in the office. Quite a bit of micromanagement which causes internal issues making it very hard to do your job. Never will I recommend anyone to work for this company!
Pros
Pay was decent.
Cons
Upper management is horrible!!!
Experience Depends on Department
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 13, 2018
I work in the corporate office which is an entirely different experience from working at one of our property sites. Literally the only reason I am planning to leave this job is because of irreconcilable differences with my manager. Even though every single person who reports to them and even other people in the department who don't report to them have issues with them, no amount of discussion with them, the head of the department, or even HR could convince them to make a change.

I love the people I work with, the company, the work that I do, the pay, the location, but I dread work every day because of this manager.
Worst work environment of my life!!
Supervisor,maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INJanuary 11, 2018
I would love to go into extreme detail but I would take to long. Started as maintenance $9 an hour that was a joke that included do the painting.drywall. Work orders, and turns, and most properties are short staffed so plan on doing everything with no help. Because of being short staffed they no longer have a supervisor role the manager is your boss and they think they know more about maintenance then you do I would love to go on and on but time doesn’t allow for that STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!
Typical
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 28, 2017
Do grounds first thing. when done check email and clean office, laundry room, and fitness center. Check email and work orders do work orders and start getting vacant apartment ready for occupancy. Clean out vacant apartment, do maintenance, paint and sometimes clean apartment.
Pros
Easy work, no stress
Cons
Dont get paid enough for what they ask you to do
No commission or bonus
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 20, 2017
They have unrealistic goals. You don't get leasing commisions. Don't have employee recognition. Not even a merry Christmas lunch or thank you. Corporate employees are treated better than property MGMT employees
Micro managed as of lately
Pros
Good pto
Cons
Don't care about employees
Not where I would send friend to
DIRECTOR OF COMPLIANCE (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 15, 2017
Pay is good
Poor culture
Women are not respected (no woman on the executive team). There are three VPs only because they were leaving and got promoted to stay. Their value were not recognized until they were ready to leave.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Everything about the organization needs to change.
Great People
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Mahomet, ILNovember 29, 2017
Great group of people to work for. They paid all travel costs as well as compensated you for taking time to go to a different property if they needed help.
bad management
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Southgate, KYNovember 21, 2017
would not buy supplies to fix residents apartments people without ac for over a year .for a 10 year old property was really run down .management locked front door and would not answer phones .for residents
Great company with strong leaders
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaNovember 21, 2017
A large property management company, several communities throughout the U.S. Most of the communities are LIHTC, so not a lot of advancement opportunities on the conventional side.
Long hours and low pay traveling
SENIOR CONSTRUCTION SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 19, 2017
I worked many long hours every week with low salary. I traveled all over the United States. It was too hard to use any vacation days. You often had to work holidays
Pros
security
Cons
salary
If you love people, you will love this
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Westfield, INSeptember 29, 2017
The company is challenging and you definitely have a lot of dealings with people on a daily basis. Most of which are angry over something real or imagined, and you have to be quick on your feet to take care of their problems so that they feel like their problem has been addressed.