Herman & Kittle Employee Reviews

Manager skimmed from my checks
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Trotwood, OHSeptember 1, 2018
While working for Herman & Kittle I also lived in one of their apartment complexes. The manager would skim from my checks and say that it was for late fees and electric bills even though I payed all of them. I lost about $1,000 in 5 months from this. I didn't know what to do about it because I was 18 and had no knowledge of taking the issue further. They will also try to purposefully keep you from getting your medical benefits if you are at an entry level in the job.
Pros
Easy work, decent pay
Cons
very crooked, always tries to manipulate workers
Great Company
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  New Richmond, WIAugust 29, 2018
Herman and Kittle is great company to work for. The offer a lot to their employees. Great benefits and PTO as well as holiday pay. It is a large company and everyone is very easy to talk to in regards to any questions that may come up.
Changing
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  INAugust 11, 2018
I believed in the company initially. There was a defined mission. It has changed a lot over the last six months or so for the worse. Upper management seems confused.
Pros
Some nice people, great wellness program
Cons
Upper management, micro management
Great Place To Work
Storage Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 10, 2018
I work for one of their storage locations. This is a very nice place to work. The company is very appreciative when you work hard. I have a great supervisor and love working here. They have great benefits. Health , dental and vision. They also have a 401 K Plan and life insurance. The work is not stressful and you have plenty of PTO.
I love working for a company that cares about your overall well being. They want you to have a nice work / life balance.

A typical day, open office,rent units, check emails, respond to emails, walk around and check the property, make collection calls, make deposit, do a facility walk through once per week, vacate units as needed, prepare units for auction, file leases, check on line rentals and inquiries. You will count inventory, order supplies as needed,
etc.
Pros
Good health benefits - decent pay
Property Manager
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaJuly 4, 2018
Good company. Like most you have in house issues and favoritism. Over all company is good and expanding into other states and have goals to grown bigger.
July 18, 2018

Thank you for your review! We are sorry to hear that you have experienced in house issues and favoritism. We strive to create an open culture at HKP and value feedback so that we can become an even better company. If you would like to elaborate on these experiences, please reach out to our HR department via email at humanresources@hermankittle.com

Poor Company to Work For
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Monticello, INJune 21, 2018
They expected to much out of their managers. I was doing the job of four people. There was no maintenance. I felt there was no support from upper management.
July 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent, and collaborative environment for all employees and Herman & Kittle is disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. If you have any additional feedback, please contact HR at humanresources@hermankittle.com

You will never grow or be paid what your worth
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, IndianaJune 1, 2018
The regionals know nothing. It's all politics. They don't wantto spend anything. They will belittle you, HR is pathetic. Your manager will never call you back and if you do great you will get $15 in McDonald's gift cards. You must steal from them to be promoted.
Pros
It's a check and you'll learn how not to be
Cons
You get to work with idiots that got promoted.
July 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Indeed. We would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns. Please contact us by emailing humanresources@hermankittle.com to speak with an HR representative.

You can do better, but good in a pinch
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMay 4, 2018
Former employee: Working at HKP was like going back to high school. I have not had a job like this in several years. The day of my interview, I was surprised how clean the grounds were. Thought it was going to be a great place to work. Regional Manager who interviewed me said the property was undergoing change, this made me excited. However, when I started there, I quickly realized that everything I was told in the interview was just lip service. My first few days in my role I quickly learned that there existed great favoritism. Some employees were allowed to do whatever they pleased. Given their status, discipline/coaching was simply not possible. Everytime you had to say something they didn't like, they would whine to upper Management. With that being said, I did learn a lot in the short time I was there. But I highly suggest you take a job with HKP only if you are desperate. The location I worked at was a constant revolving door. I can see why. Everyone is over-stressed. The location where I worked needed at least one more support personnel to keep up with the traffic and tenant needs. Pay was decent for the area. Insurance sucked, overpriced, high deductible, very narrow provider network.
Pros
Site management pay is decent
Cons
Everything else
July 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback on your experiences with Herman & Kittle. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and understand you have some frustrations with the company. If there are any other areas of concern, feel free to send an email to us detailing these at humanresources@hermankittle.com

Very goal oriented and great customer service
Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 30, 2018
Working in Compliance for 11 years with a great employer was a very good experience. I learned a lot through seminars , workshops and conventions I asked to go to, Great company to work for.
Pros
Would have lunch brought in for the entire main office once a month
Cons
Need better Health Care, High deductable
July 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. We are glad that you enjoy working here, and enjoy the many benefits the company has to offer. Most importantly, thank you for being a long term employee and for your dedication to the company.

Poor Management
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INApril 26, 2018
Too many people to report to and no one communication between those people. No office organization. Always under staffed and over worked. The grounds were filthy and corporate refuses to spend money to make improvements
July 5, 2018

Thank you for your advice. If you would like to elaborate further on your experience, please contact us at our HR department at humanresources@hermankittle.com. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Great place low pay
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TNApril 19, 2018
I loved working at HKP but the pay is way below standards. $21 an hour for a 20 year experienced maintenance supervisor is ten years behind the times.
I made that amount in the early 2000s and it's now 2018. I quit and found another company willing to pay $25 per hour to start with bonuses giving me over 10k more per year.
It's a great company and if you can stand the pay. I'd say go for it.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Low pay
July 5, 2018

Thank you for the 5-star review of your experiences while working with Herman & Kittle! Putting our people first is something that we value and appreciate that you see that in your everyday life. Thank you, again, for your review, and please email any other suggestions you have to humanresources@hermankittle.com

It was a good environment
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 18, 2018
I was hired temporarily by a staffing agency to work there. I wish I could have worked there longer. I enjoyed the environment, the tenants, and potential tenants.
Pros
Could move around freely
July 5, 2018

Thank you for your 5-star review of our team! Herman & Kittle strives to keep all employees engaged and in sync with what the company goals and mission is each year, and we are glad that it shows.

Productive company with fun all around
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INApril 6, 2018
Very good company that introduced me into the leasing industry. Coming into the property i was hired on as a Community Assistant
where i was introduced into my first property. Once i learned the routes and picked up the pace on what was expected i was promoted to the leasing agent, i was able to spread my wings and excel along side the company.
July 5, 2018

Thank you for reviewing us! We are very happy to see that you feel there is great opportunity to grow - after all, we are growing exponentially, and we want to ensure our employees do so professionally, too! Please email any comments, suggestions, or concerns to: humanresources@hermankittle.com

Job
Floating Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 20, 2018
I really enjoy the company because it has an open policy, and it is very easy to work for the company. I also love the company because it has very good benefits and PTO time.
July 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Indeed. We pride ourselves in the competitive benefits package we are able to offer employees. Our team members are top-notch and have a commitment to giving back to the communities we build in. We are thrilled you love it here and can't wait for the company to grow with you on our team!

Typical Day at work sucks
Regional Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 7, 2018
I do not look forward to going into work everyday. It is something I actually dread. I have never had a job I felt so uncomfortable in. Do not recommend this place to anyone.
Not worth the black hole on your resume...
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 25, 2018
You will never be able to tell people with confidence where you work. Most current employees simply state that they work at HKP and leave it at that. Once you realize how negative this company is perceived by its partners, the community, and public authorities, you will too be ashamed of wearing their badge of dishonor. I am not able to fully describe in detail here (last post deleted) what exactly makes Herman and Kittle a bad company, so I will keep it short. Do not work here unless you are in desperate need of work. You can do better.
Pros
Free Coffee in Corp Office
Cons
Negative reputation, Bad publicity on the evening news, Some properties require security to visit
too big too fast
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 7, 2018
not enough time to train and retain new hires. No support for out of state properties, High turnover in middle management and supervisory positions. High turn over in site staff
Pros
progressive
Cons
traiing and retention
Headache!!!
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 1, 2018
Work for this company at one of their properties and upper management is beyond horrible!! The property is in an undesirable area and upper management refused to get security for the tenants as well as repair the alarm system in the office. Quite a bit of micromanagement which causes internal issues making it very hard to do your job. Never will I recommend anyone to work for this company!
Pros
Pay was decent.
Cons
Upper management is horrible!!!
Experience Depends on Department
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 13, 2018
I work in the corporate office which is an entirely different experience from working at one of our property sites. Literally the only reason I am planning to leave this job is because of irreconcilable differences with my manager. Even though every single person who reports to them and even other people in the department who don't report to them have issues with them, no amount of discussion with them, the head of the department, or even HR could convince them to make a change.

I love the people I work with, the company, the work that I do, the pay, the location, but I dread work every day because of this manager.
Worst work environment of my life!!
Supervisor,maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INJanuary 11, 2018
I would love to go into extreme detail but I would take to long. Started as maintenance $9 an hour that was a joke that included do the painting.drywall. Work orders, and turns, and most properties are short staffed so plan on doing everything with no help. Because of being short staffed they no longer have a supervisor role the manager is your boss and they think they know more about maintenance then you do I would love to go on and on but time doesn’t allow for that STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Herman & Kittle. Our community is ready to answer.