Herman & Kittle Employee Reviews

Great Place To Work
Storage Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 10, 2018
I work for one of their storage locations. This is a very nice place to work. The company is very appreciative when you work hard. I have a great supervisor and love working here. They have great benefits. Health , dental and vision. They also have a 401 K Plan and life insurance. The work is not stressful and you have plenty of PTO.
I love working for a company that cares about your overall well being. They want you to have a nice work / life balance.

A typical day, open office,rent units, check emails, respond to emails, walk around and check the property, make collection calls, make deposit, do a facility walk through once per week, vacate units as needed, prepare units for auction, file leases, check on line rentals and inquiries. You will count inventory, order supplies as needed,
etc.
Pros
Good health benefits - decent pay
Cons
Manager skimmed from my checks
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Trotwood, OHSeptember 1, 2018
While working for Herman & Kittle I also lived in one of their apartment complexes. The manager would skim from my checks and say that it was for late fees and electric bills even though I payed all of them. I lost about $1,000 in 5 months from this. I didn't know what to do about it because I was 18 and had no knowledge of taking the issue further. They will also try to purposefully keep you from getting your medical benefits if you are at an entry level in the job.
Pros
Easy work, decent pay
Cons
very crooked, always tries to manipulate workers
Good place
Field Compliance/Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 31, 2018
They were ok to work for. Management could use some work. Was not compensated for allot of additional work and training related to the job and required allot of travel.
The job site at the time was under construction, so it was very stressful.
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 17, 2018
While the tenants were relocated to different homes off site, until their units were completed, we also had to take in new applications as well. I learned how to work in a very high stressed environment. some of the floating Managers had little to no knowledge of section 8 program. the hardest part of the job was getting those off site residents to pack and moved out on time so those temp units, or homes they lived in can be properly inspected. but when those residents moved into their newly renovated homes I felt like all the hard, stressful work truly paid off.
Pros
Great oppertunity for advancment.
Cons
Too many online reports to be completed
Great Company
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  New Richmond, WIAugust 29, 2018
Herman and Kittle is great company to work for. The offer a lot to their employees. Great benefits and PTO as well as holiday pay. It is a large company and everyone is very easy to talk to in regards to any questions that may come up.
Changing
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  INAugust 11, 2018
I believed in the company initially. There was a defined mission. It has changed a lot over the last six months or so for the worse. Upper management seems confused.
Pros
Some nice people, great wellness program
Cons
Upper management, micro management
You will never grow or be paid what your worth
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, IndianaJune 1, 2018
The regionals know nothing. It's all politics. They don't wantto spend anything. They will belittle you, HR is pathetic. Your manager will never call you back and if you do great you will get $15 in McDonald's gift cards. You must steal from them to be promoted.
Pros
It's a check and you'll learn how not to be
Cons
You get to work with idiots that got promoted.
July 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Indeed. We would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns. Please contact us by emailing humanresources@hermankittle.com to speak with an HR representative.

Staffing ratio's are low
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Southgate, KYNovember 18, 2018
Compliance requires an extra 2 miles for paperwork. Major work on property takes years to get approved while it would have cost less to do it when needed vs later. Abated units.
Pros
8 hrs paid community service, 8 hrs bereavement pay for pet, co-workers
Cons
Alloted number of employees on property, abated units, delay in major repairs, no petty cash, exclusive with Wilmar
You can do better, but good in a pinch
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMay 4, 2018
Former employee: Working at HKP was like going back to high school. I have not had a job like this in several years. The day of my interview, I was surprised how clean the grounds were. Thought it was going to be a great place to work. Regional Manager who interviewed me said the property was undergoing change, this made me excited. However, when I started there, I quickly realized that everything I was told in the interview was just lip service. My first few days in my role I quickly learned that there existed great favoritism. Some employees were allowed to do whatever they pleased. Given their status, discipline/coaching was simply not possible. Everytime you had to say something they didn't like, they would whine to upper Management. With that being said, I did learn a lot in the short time I was there. But I highly suggest you take a job with HKP only if you are desperate. The location I worked at was a constant revolving door. I can see why. Everyone is over-stressed. The location where I worked needed at least one more support personnel to keep up with the traffic and tenant needs. Pay was decent for the area. Insurance sucked, overpriced, high deductible, very narrow provider network.
Pros
Site management pay is decent
Cons
Everything else
July 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback on your experiences with Herman & Kittle. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and understand you have some frustrations with the company. If there are any other areas of concern, feel free to send an email to us detailing these at humanresources@hermankittle.com

Poor Company to Work For
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Monticello, INJune 21, 2018
They expected to much out of their managers. I was doing the job of four people. There was no maintenance. I felt there was no support from upper management.
July 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable, transparent, and collaborative environment for all employees and Herman & Kittle is disappointed to hear about some of your experiences. If you have any additional feedback, please contact HR at humanresources@hermankittle.com

Love it here
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  KentuckySeptember 3, 2017
I really enjoy my job and love the people I work with. The benefits are great, very generous paid time off and definitely a lot of room for career advancement. Everyone has each others back especially upper management. The upper management at HKP don't mind to get their hands dirty. Great Company and love it here!
Pros
Paid time off, great benefits and management. A lot of training available!
Cons
A lot of reports
Not where I would send friend to
DIRECTOR OF COMPLIANCE (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 15, 2017
Pay is good
Poor culture
Women are not respected (no woman on the executive team). There are three VPs only because they were leaving and got promoted to stay. Their value were not recognized until they were ready to leave.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Everything about the organization needs to change.
Property Manager
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaJuly 4, 2018
Good company. Like most you have in house issues and favoritism. Over all company is good and expanding into other states and have goals to grown bigger.
July 18, 2018

Thank you for your review! We are sorry to hear that you have experienced in house issues and favoritism. We strive to create an open culture at HKP and value feedback so that we can become an even better company. If you would like to elaborate on these experiences, please reach out to our HR department via email at humanresources@hermankittle.com

Headache!!!
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 1, 2018
Work for this company at one of their properties and upper management is beyond horrible!! The property is in an undesirable area and upper management refused to get security for the tenants as well as repair the alarm system in the office. Quite a bit of micromanagement which causes internal issues making it very hard to do your job. Never will I recommend anyone to work for this company!
Pros
Pay was decent.
Cons
Upper management is horrible!!!
Not worth the black hole on your resume...
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 25, 2018
You will never be able to tell people with confidence where you work. Most current employees simply state that they work at HKP and leave it at that. Once you realize how negative this company is perceived by its partners, the community, and public authorities, you will too be ashamed of wearing their badge of dishonor. I am not able to fully describe in detail here (last post deleted) what exactly makes Herman and Kittle a bad company, so I will keep it short. Do not work here unless you are in desperate need of work. You can do better.
Pros
Free Coffee in Corp Office
Cons
Negative reputation, Bad publicity on the evening news, Some properties require security to visit
Great company with strong leaders
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaNovember 21, 2017
A large property management company, several communities throughout the U.S. Most of the communities are LIHTC, so not a lot of advancement opportunities on the conventional side.
Very goal oriented and great customer service
Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 30, 2018
Working in Compliance for 11 years with a great employer was a very good experience. I learned a lot through seminars , workshops and conventions I asked to go to, Great company to work for.
Pros
Would have lunch brought in for the entire main office once a month
Cons
Need better Health Care, High deductable
July 3, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback. We are glad that you enjoy working here, and enjoy the many benefits the company has to offer. Most importantly, thank you for being a long term employee and for your dedication to the company.

Long hours and low pay traveling
SENIOR CONSTRUCTION SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 19, 2017
I worked many long hours every week with low salary. I traveled all over the United States. It was too hard to use any vacation days. You often had to work holidays
Pros
security
Cons
salary
Job
Floating Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 20, 2018
I really enjoy the company because it has an open policy, and it is very easy to work for the company. I also love the company because it has very good benefits and PTO time.
July 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Indeed. We pride ourselves in the competitive benefits package we are able to offer employees. Our team members are top-notch and have a commitment to giving back to the communities we build in. We are thrilled you love it here and can't wait for the company to grow with you on our team!

Great place low pay
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TNApril 19, 2018
I loved working at HKP but the pay is way below standards. $21 an hour for a 20 year experienced maintenance supervisor is ten years behind the times.
I made that amount in the early 2000s and it's now 2018. I quit and found another company willing to pay $25 per hour to start with bonuses giving me over 10k more per year.
It's a great company and if you can stand the pay. I'd say go for it.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Low pay
July 5, 2018

Thank you for the 5-star review of your experiences while working with Herman & Kittle! Putting our people first is something that we value and appreciate that you see that in your everyday life. Thank you, again, for your review, and please email any other suggestions you have to humanresources@hermankittle.com

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Herman & Kittle. Our community is ready to answer.